[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

I feel bad for GS. Poor boy. I would give him a hug for that moment. YS is quite mean, but that was needed to make him to like her less. 

During the confrontation YS and PSR, even I hate YS for being inconsiderate like that, but she does have a point that things don't work just because of idealism. But what SR insisted isn't wrong either. People and trust are a fundamental things to keep you going with. I do believe in his sentiment. What kind of business if it's built from a lack of trust. 

YS somehow changed a bit. Love the part when she said she would help Tony to find his dad. I know she's a girl who keeps her words. So it felt warm. Yes, YS is slowly growing. 

The ending... whoah... what's next?? Is it her next plan to kill all the baddies who mess with her boss? Why there's no preview? Tch... they want me just wait another week while being left hanging like this? Well, I bet they might still work on it. 

• Like 3

I really want to like Yi Seo but goodness gracious her attitude stinks!

Tactless doesn't even begin to cover it. I really do hope she knows what she's doin'. While I don't think she's that foolish to sell out Royi... it can go either way. Simply 'cause Yi Seo's unpredictable. 

The stuff on Tony unfortunately happens in South Korea.. they just worship Whites - that's the truth.. Although it happens in my country as well~ I feel bad for Geun Soo, he's really that second male lead who's always nice but never gets the girl. I like that he accepts Yi Seo, even with her ****** attitude & all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I think people are forgetting that JYS being 20 is the equivalent of bring 18 in the US. Alot of viewers seems to be watching IC from a western perspective. JYS's actions/outlook plays an important narrative in the story because it pretty much encompass/

illustrates the narrow mindset of people's attitude/

outlook on marginalize people in SK & Asia and that you can rid of that mindset if you try/be better person. Btw, I'm not excusing her actions because the things shes say/do is obviously not right. 

JYS is a character who needs ALOT of growing/unlearning to do from her current mindset. That is the point. Remember she didnt grew up like SRY. Also, people dont change instantly just over night. It's a work in progress. JYS isnt a morally good character that's like SRY. That's why she sees her ideology being challenged ever since she met/work with SRY. Like she said in episode 8, she cant stand people with SRY's mindset who's morally upholding & idealistic. It bothers her but shes willing to understand. Also she isnt changing necessarily because she loves SRY, she changing because of his actions/impact on others. The show doesnt need 2 SRY as the main characters. It would be boring if JYS was morally upright & righteous like SRY. There would be no point for character development or tension amongst everyone on the show. Heck, even SRY's mindset is challenged by JYS when they had the argument, which is a good thing to show between the two. Not everything can be achieved with just grit & willpower. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Right.

Cv's cleverly show that leads are not perfect and did show our society's prejudice against different races through lead character. It is good to see leads as not saints all the time , but with faults. Yi seo surely did wrong calling him dark as sort of insult, but it was clear point how his skin color can lead to racism against him which happens quite apparently . Atleast she is changing as a person with time to time and learning from her faults.  We should view things in  with more open mind and that is how her character has been shaped up with her all faults in display...That is what makes her character different from most female leads in korean dramas. she is not perfect. At some points you will root for her. At some points you will hate her. That is what makes her character human!

Also last scene, lol chairman has signed up for his demise. She is no way going to backstab saeroyi for him. Lol.

Agree. Saeroy is a perfect lead character type with his idealism, while Yiseo on contrary, she turned out to have many flaws and made mistakes here and there. She really got me on my nerves in this episode. Fortunately she's quick to make up her mind and fix things up. But yeah.. at the end of the day, everything she does is all for Saeroy's sake. 

The ending.. don't know what happened but i believe it's part of Yiseo's killer plan. She will never betray him. 

Episode 8 rating.. 12.562% nationwide, 13.990% in metropolitan area

Edited by Anjalifairy
  • Like 5

National

Analytical standard: National, paid platform joining units, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class) 12.562

Seoul

Top 10 Household Watching Rates
(Based on analysis: metropolitan area, households with paid platform, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class) 13.990

Total 8 episodes ratings  74.883÷8 = 9.360%

Already averaging 9.36% nationwide and if trend keeps up, we will be in double digit average  next week.! Wow! We have half season left! What a huge success

• Like 4

@Latte_Anyday @Anjalifairy

Her going to J Co. must be a red herring to mislead viewers because in NO way is she going to work for JDH. The thought it gives me migraine lol. That would be totally off brand of her character since she said she would 'kill' anyone who would hurt SRY. I mean she's bold & smart. I'm sure she has a plan up her sleeve. I think its quite flattering JDH think of JYS as compotent because she is lol. I mean he has SA, why would be need someone like JYS who works for SRY? Probably to p*ss SRY even more lol. I trust JYS *crosses fingers/nervous laughter*. SRY saying he cant imagine Danbam without JYS:(.

The ending showing JYS entering J Co. with the music B) has me hyped for next week episode. No preview though :crazy:

• Like 2

There were a bit of backlash about them prolonging and changing stuff in episodes 7-8, including character related stuff, so I hope if IC team don’t wanna break the momentum and keep rising, then episodes 9-10 should have something, that will really satisfy viewers. 

Complains about Jo Yi Seo’s character understandable, but I do hope people will start seeing bigger picture. It’s hard to write flawed character and make them grow out of their flaws - yet along when this character is a female - without people constantly being ready to tear them down;))) 

Also is it really Park Sae Roy being idealistic or him just being an adult? He took under his wing people, who otherwise have no where to go and no one to lean on. They’re trying so hard to survive in harsh society, that rejecting them; who he would be if he decided to abandon them just for his own revenge and gain? He is a person, who had no one to lean on in his hardships and he knows what it’s like, when people stay as far from you as possible because you don’t fit in their norms. In his case because of his education status and conviction. And he build himself a family and that family still needs him. That’s why I don’t like, when people say, that he should “compromise”. He would loose more than gain as a person. 

Itaewon Class is not a story about people compromising, when authority makes it hard for them. 

Also, it’s somehow funny when people comment about stereotypes regarding Tony, because everyone, when his casting was announced automatically assumed he knows English and even questioned if he knows Korean. So, international viewers themselves feed into that stereotypes, despite seeing themselves more progressive than Koreans lol 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Right.

Cv's cleverly show that leads are not perfect and did show our society's prejudice against different races through lead character. It is good to see leads as not saints all the time , but with faults. Yi seo surely did wrong calling him dark as sort of insult, but it was clear point how his skin color can lead to racism against him which happens quite apparently . Atleast she is changing as a person with time to time and learning from her faults.  We should view things in  with more open mind and that is how her character has been shaped up with her all faults in display...That is what makes her character different from most female leads in korean dramas. she is not perfect. At some points you will root for her. At some points you will hate her. That is what makes her character human!

Also last scene, lol chairman has signed up for his demise. She is no way going to backstab saeroyi for him. Lol.

Lol that’s what i said!! I was laughing so hard while watching the chairman, he clearly don’t know how twisted YS! So excited to watch her chew the chairman. :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@serenilmauve I think people are forgetting that there are some viewers (such as me) who have not read the webtoon and therefore, have no set expectations. I happen to like the story as it is and where it seems to be heading, but for fans of the webtoon, I do hope that the writer doesn't change the core of it too much.

At the start, I was really gung-ho about YS's character, but she's been really testing my patience - especially in today's episode. How she treated GS and Toni was pretty mean. She's lucky after all that, she was forgiven. Not that many people get that many chances - sociopath or not. In real life, I personally would not be her friend/coworker. I thought she had learned from the situation with HY so crossing my fingers, she truly did after the third(?) time.

Isn't what you described "idealism"? In the real world, it is true businesses cannot solely survive on personal beliefs and protecting your people which is why I thought YS' demand from SR for a realistic alternative was fair. Her easy way out to fire GS was obviously not right, but SR's stance would have put Danbam at jeopardy. I don't think anyone believes SR should "compromise" his beliefs, but to think realistically as well. There should be a balance.

• Like 4

The rating keep on rising i like it

Now next target is.... 15% 

If we can get it next week or next two weeks then 20% is absolutely possible in the finale. 

Like the rising trend just like what happen with cloy. Although when you reach high enough it bound to be stale a bit. 

But seriously i wondering does this scene even exist on webtoon? If i am not forget i dont think i see one maybe someone who understand?

Here i got some spoiler regarding the timeline change that will happen soon. With a little bit spoiler what ahead before the change.

Spoiler

I guess ep 9 will be all about the build up for JGW JYS and PSR scene. So the ep 10 is a completly new timeline ( 2020 ) 

I wonder how will they change the style of the staff of danbam and OSA hair too.

And yeah i try to read it again. We will be on the Change of timeline real soon. I guess ep 10.

The only scene left from this timeline is JGW JYS and PSR scene. JGW and JYS had a meeting and talk. They talk so much like almost one episode alone. And then JYS seems to make JGW mad(?) JYS Tried to escape from him but JGW caught her And JGW Punch JYS right in her face. And the people came to see what happen and JGW said that this is his personal problem and said to just go away. He throw bunch of money to the air and when he about to hit jys again, PSR come and punch him in the face too and then the cop came and i guess JGW got into trouble with cop ( again ) and the JDH really mad and punch him too in left cheek. And the Aftermath of that scene is a timeline jump shown by JYS hair become long although PSR hair is still chessnut. It seems that JGS goes abroad and after the timejump, he is back and got picked up by OSA from airport.

And JGW seems to be in jail on that timeline jump

JGS Is working with his father at jangga(?) But still had close relationship with all danbam crew

JYS and PSR had some talk and she is crying or something and then she goes on vacation to beach. PSR seems to regret make her cry(?) And call her while she was on vacation. 

And I think the plot twist here is JGS goes dark(?) Idk if i recall correctly but hyuni Transgender got into public and i think the culprit is JGS because only him knows except for danbam crew.

This is freaking massive omg.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

@serenilmauve I think people are forgetting that there are some viewers (such as me) who have not read the webtoon and therefore, have no set expectations. I happen to like the story as it is and where it seems to be heading, but for fans of the webtoon, I do hope that the writer doesn't change the core of it too much.

At the start, I was really gung-ho about YS's character, but she's been really testing my patience - especially in today's episode. How she treated GS and Toni was pretty mean. She's lucky after all that, she was forgiven. Not that many people get that many chances - sociopath or not. In real life, I personally would not be her friend/coworker. I thought she had learned from the situation with HY so crossing my fingers, she truly did after the third(?) time.

Isn't what you described "idealism"? In the real world, it is true businesses cannot solely survive on personal beliefs and protecting your people which is why I thought YS' demand from SR for a realistic alternative was fair. Her easy way out to fire GS was obviously not right, but SR's stance would have put Danbam at jeopardy. I don't think anyone believes SR should "compromise" his beliefs, but to think realistically as well. There should be a balance.

No it’s not.

82492-FA7-9264-4-FB2-AE1-F-5-F6-F1-CA80-

It’s not like Sae Roy don’t believe in business, profit and etc., and he is not acting out of his realistic possibilities. He had a realistic plan how to handle situation, with stability to all his team members, but with time loss for his own revenge. Which is not a monetary loss, but rather spiritual. So how his idea and view on this particular situation exactly idealistic based on actual definition of the word? 
I’m not talking about stands between JYS vs PSR with her limited knowledge about what he had in mind to do. But what Park Sae Roy’s actual actions means. 

I will leave JYS part for a bit later, if you don’t mind. I’m too sleepy right now to process anything more than I just wrote;) 

• Like 5

I was so excited to see SRY hit it at the club because hes never been to one lol but I'm glad they didn't go since that place is a heap of trash. SRY calling Danbam crew 'my people' :tears:. Such a good boss. Did JGS stay with Danbam because it looks like he did? I'm happy that he is not leaving.

@taeunfighting

My only problem is if the writers prolong JYS character development. The development for her growth is there but in a very very minuscule way. But it feels realistic because nobody changes drastically in a short span, especially if its someone like JYS. It's only been 4 episodes since shes worked at Danbam but theres only 9 episodes left:crazy:. I dont have high expectation of the drama nor did I read the webtoon but so far I like what I'm watching. 

Also, I'm curious about the 2nd conference regarding the show since the main cast will be there & also there was no preview for ep 9 which was interesting:huh:

• Like 4

Just now, greenwatch08 said:

I was so excited to see SRY hit it at the club because hes never been to one lol but I'm glad they didn't go since that place is a heap of trash. SRY calling Danbam crew 'my people' :tears:. Such a good boss. Did JGS stay with Danbam because it looks like be did? I'm happy that he is. 

@taeunfighting

My only problem is if the writers prolong JYS character development. The development for her growth is there but in a very very minuscule way. But it feels realistic because nobody changes drastically in a short span, especially if its someone like JYS. It's only been 4 episodes since shes worked at Danbam but theres only 9 epsiodes left:crazy:. I dont have high expectation of the drama nor did I read the webtoon but so far I like what I'm watching. 

Also, I'm curious about the 2nd conference regarding the show since the main cast will be there & also there was no preview for ep 9 which was interesting:huh:

Next week will be the start of time jump i think.

If u want more detail check my comment above. 

Thats why there will be 2nd conference. Yiseo hair become long,hyuni become long too the rest i guess still the same.

I guess there supposed to be 1 new female character that work as PSR employee(?) 

@serenilmauve My comment about what is “idealism” was based on your original thoughts about SR taking people under his wings and wanting to protecting them, which that alone, I still believe fits the definition. You are right that SR already had a realistic alternative in mind and with that in context, I agree that he had a plan that wouldn’t really compromise anything. The reason why I brought up their argument was because no one knew about it so it was misunderstood that he was acting solely on protecting GS which wouldn't be deemed practicable in the real business world. Also, from my take, his plan didn’t seem to solidify with him until YS demanded one. I think that’s why in the end scene with SA, he acknowledged that he indeed needed YS. Pre-knowing SR's plan, I thought both of them had fair arguments about their stances. The two of them knew it too.

Not sure if it will change my mind about YS, but am definitely open to knowing your thoughts about her next...after some sleep.

@greenwatch08 I will lose my mind if the writer prolongs YS' development. I hope s/he knows we get what YS' character was meant to illustrate in the story. The thing is if she does join Jangga (which I believe she will and know the real reason why), her development may get lost in the shuffle and most of all, her intentions may be misunderstood by SR and her co-workers/friends.

• Like 3

I love YS .She is so real and the only character that learns from her mistakes and shows growth.One of my top favorite FL in Kdramas.

She is no afraid of anything ,she tries , she says what she thinks ( I just wanted to kiss her when she told SA how shameless she is coming and borrow ice from Danbam for Janga's pub.)

Can not wait to see YS meeting with the old guy.

PSR got in my nerves again .Throwing his "miahne" to SA , yelling to  YS in front of SA and the others, and I really dont understand as what is SA always in front of Danbam 's meetings.

She can take a decision if she wants and if she is so interest in Danbam future she should quit now and help with the others the small pub to do well.

Does PSR will say a thank you to YS? She is the one that put his pub on the map.

YS made me emotional when she was touching PSR 's scars and crying for his pain and lonely moments.Did I say that I love her ?:lol:

I need to watch more work from Kim Dami!

• Like 2

Most memorable moments in ep 8:

- JYS crush SA's ice.. not that i like it, but it was fun and satisfying to see someone releasing anger/stress(other than punching bag).. then proceeds to coffee with SA with the sulky kid look.. this cutie got character :joy:

- i like SA being the person that gives 'how to win the man' advice to YS.. i also like that YS is able to take pointers from the person she hates.. so basically SA understands PSR but she can't put them into action, even if she want to PSR would want her to stay out of the fight (but i can appreciate SA trying to talk to JDH about the building tenancy wo PSR knowledge).. YS at the end of ep 8, decides that in order to support PSR, she doesn't always agree with him, but she will act based on PSR principles and not attempt to change him..

- that being said i hope that YS has the ability to appreciate and build meaningful personal relationships, for her own growth and happiness. She was being very mean to GS. She seems to be nice to GS (and other members like Tony) to the extent it pleases PSR. What i wish for is, she can appreciate them the same w/wo PSR.

- this is a huge contrast with PSR, who sees the whole crew as family, he wants to protect them. The way he pats YS head and GS shoulder gives me the genuine head of family vibe.

- SA rejecting GW in his face, not because of PSR but because of "the person who was like a father figure" to her.

• Like 4