[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

1 hour ago, Cantabile said:

Well, my guess the reason is:
1. Jeongwon only knew one side story, e.g: Ikjun had crush to Songhwa or Songhwa had crush to Ikjun. He thought it was just one side love.

2. Or Jeongwon knew that both of them had crush to each other (and he also knew that Seokhyung involved in this triangle love), but Jeongwon thought that Ikjun & Songhwa already moved on. Like Dr. Bong said, Ikjun always dated in colleges, and Songhwa also dated her senior. Based on Jeongwon’s personality, eventhough he can sense something, he is not a type that want to interfere his friends’ privacy unless his friends told him directly (different with Ikjun who is also smart in sensing something and willing to be the matchmaker :lol:).

32 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@Cantabile I'm leaning more on your first theory. I particularly think Jeong won knows about Songhwa's feelings for Ikjun. Either he noticed it himself as he is very observant or Songhwa confided in him in the past. Songhwa and Jeong won seems to have this precious bond and as some have mentioned here they are "Locked-in" with each other's feelings. :w00t: So it's highly likely that we will see Songhwa's Pov in the next season through Jeong won like we saw Jeong won's feelings for Gyeo ul through Songhwa in this season.

During the funeral scene in 2nd ep, Jeong won looked at Songhwa first when Chairman Ju asked if anything happened between the friends. In 12th ep, when Jeong won was eating Risotto in Songhwa's office, Songhwa was about to tell something to JWon when he mentioned Ikjun but held back. I really want Jeong won to play cupid for IkSong in the next season. It's my only wish, please make it happen Shin PD. LOL. 

I think there’s a possibility that Jwon knew both sides. Aside from his reactions to his interactions with them (funeral scene, his talk with IJ, etc.) he seems to be extra perceptive with the two’s emotions even though he’s caring to all. It’s been pointed out how Jwon notices when something is wrong with SHwa but he’s quite the same with IJ. He noticed something was going on with his marriage (even asking SHwa to check on him), and even when drunk, he knew IJ was carrying some emotional baggage during the drunk karaoke scene. His long-time roommate Jwan was also undergoing relationship troubles but he didn’t even take notice if I recall correctly. 

But if he knew only one side, I agree that SHwa’s side is more plausible as it does seem that they have the kind of friendship where they easily know/share things about each other.

As for Jwon setting up IJ with his friend, I think it must have been quite some time already after IJ and SHwa have moved on. So just as how the two have made peace with their decision to remain friends, Jwon must have done it without much thought. But I’m guessing he might’ve still asked SHwa’s opinion before he did LOL :lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

Lots of good analysis on the when or if Jwon knows about Iksong’s feelings towards one another.  I see a lot of posts here and there (over the past few weeks) questioning why Jwon would set IJ up with his friend if he knew about either sides “crush”.  Just my opinion....

*Ep 2- flashback of Rejection of YSH is 1999

*Ep 7 - Dr. Bong states later on that IJ dated a lot and Songhwa was campus couple (end of freshmen year or sophomore)  1999-2000?

*Ep 3 - Jwon makes the comment that he introduced his friend (now wife) to IJ

*Ep 6 - Jwan points out that IJ never falls for a girl first and only married his ex after she chased him for months (how many and what year, we don’t know)

*we do know Uju is around 5 years old

(approx year born 2013/14)

So depending on how long IJ and ex took to have Uju after getting married, I’m going to assume more than 10 years passed since the 1999 confession by YSH when IJ finally got married.  

My opinion is that regardless of what Jwon knew/knows/whose side, there was more than enough time that passed for him to comfortably introduce IJ to his ex.  If either IJ or Songhwa never moved on from 1999, I’m sure he would have hesitated to introduce the ex. I think it’s reasonable to assume we all want our friends to be happy...so if they aren’t harboring any visible feelings towards an old ‘crush/love’, I would introduce my friend to a new person too. lol

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 8

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As I wander around the web I too am baffled by comments questioning Jeong-won's decision to "give up his dream of being priest for Gyeo-ul or love". Aside from the fact that it is a reductive exaggeration, becoming a priest isn't some kind of new career opportunity or something to cross off your bucket list. My point is simply this... how can this man in this picture here... ever be a priest...

Do people really believe that the PD gave us this scene purely for fanservicing? This scene is meant to be the final nail in the coffin, the death knell to the notion that Ahn Jeong-won could ever be a priest. In fact all throughout the drama, the show itself tells us that it's a pipedream and a terrible idea for someone like Ahn Jeong... right from Day 1. All those pent-up emotions, the longing... dear me...  he went straight for her hair, her face and then her lips. The man was lost to the priesthood long before we got here.

Whether he made his choice based on his love of kids, pediatrics or Gyeo-ul makes no difference. It's probably all of the above. The important thing is that Ahn Jeong-won should not be a priest. Like Maria in The Sound of Music should never have been a nun. Not just because she fell in love with the Baron.

Your insight triggered me to re-watch the last part on 1st episode. In my opinion that was the stance of Jeongwon's POV why he wanted to be a priest and left his job. His reasoning is pretty vague for me.

Present day

Jeongwon : That's why I told you I wasn't going to be a doctor. I told you I was going to be a priest too, didn't I? Remember what you guys told me? That I can be a priest whenever I wanted, but that's not the case for a doctor. I worked all these years as a doctor because of you guys.

A year ago

Jeongwon : I will quite my job tomorrow!

2 years ago

Jeongwon : Cheers! It's the happiest day of my life!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Danity_VIP said:

Your insight triggered me to re-watch the last part on 1st episode. In my opinion that was the stance of Jeongwon's POV why he wanted to be a priest and left his job. His reasoning is pretty vague for me.

Present day

Jeongwon : That's why I told you I wasn't going to be a doctor. I told you I was going to be a priest too, didn't I? Remember what you guys told me? That I can be a priest whenever I wanted, but that's not the case for a doctor. I worked all these years as a doctor because of you guys.

A year ago

Jeongwon : I will quite my job tomorrow!

2 years ago

Jeongwon : Cheers! It's the happiest day of my life!

*nods ..i agree

Although JWon wanted to become a priest ever since he was a kid, 

as he grew up & became a pediatrics, it seems to me he became kind of inconsistent

especially when he lost his patients despite his best effort

It gives an impression he just wanted to run away to become a priest as his refuge 

And it makes me wonder if he truly know that being a priest is a high emotional demanding position

If he can not handle being a doctor, i dont' understand how can he deal with being a priest

I think his eldest brother know JWon very well, he have been suggesting many things to JWon

throughtout the years to distract him away from being a priest

(Some people here already mentioned in the previous posts)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, yukiyukiku said:

*nods ..i agree

Although JWon wanted to become a priest ever since he was a kid, 

as he grew up & became a pediatrics, it seems to me he became kind of inconsistent

especially when he lost his patients despite his best effort

It gives an impression he just wanted to run away to become a priest as his refuge 

And it makes me wonder if he truly know that being a priest is a high emotional demanding position

If he can not handle being a doctor, i dont' understand how can he deal with being a priest

I think his eldest brother know JWon very well, he have been suggesting many things to JWon

throughtout the years to distract him away from being a priest

(Some people here already mentioned in the previous posts)

Yes, and viewers also need to watch the drama as a whole context. I mean there's character's growth and you can't nitpick particular scene to adjust your opinion. From the beginning, the show has drawn a clear stage, the characters' complexities were explained well, why the reacted and behaved such in a way. It's such a pity that we bash particular characters just because they don't meet our expectations. 

Edited by Danity_VIP
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

Strictly my opinion

If Jungwon were to go overseas to train to be a priest, then this seasonal drama doesn’t need 5 main leads. Make no sense to have 5 main leads for S1 till S3 (if they did plan to have S3 as well)

Songhwa might be in Sokcho but she is still in Korea and it is only 2 hours drive between Seoul and Sokcho. Furthermore she is only away in Sokcho for a year aka a season perhaps

But for Jungwon, if he leave for Europe, it will be years before he returns.

• Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

9 hours ago, seasonal_love said:

Strictly my opinion

If Jungwon were to go overseas to train to be a priest, then this seasonal drama doesn’t need 5 main leads. Make no sense to have 5 main leads for S1 till S3 (if they did plan to have S3 as well)

Songhwa might be in Sokcho but she is still in Korea and it is only 2 hours drive between Seoul and Sokcho. Furthermore she is only away in Sokcho for a year aka a season perhaps

But for Jungwon, if he leave for Europe, it will be years before he returns.

Seoul is not two hours away from Sokcho. They(Yulje area) were somewhere in different area than in Seoul area, if Songhwa went to Sokcho.

• Insightful 1

@40somethingahjumma @yukiyukiku @Danity_VIP

Completely agree with you guys on JeongWon and his 'pursuring priesthood' journey.

This drama shows so many signs of him keep delaying/dragging it out, some more signs that I'd like to add..

In Ep 1, he was gonna tell/pass over the DDL tol SongHwa (on the phone call) then he didn't actually tell her until ep 9

In Ep 3, he was gonna tell the hospital director of him quitting when he's about to submit the letter of rec, but didn't actually do it until ep 9 either

And then everytime the topic of Italy/priesthood comes up, you can see him being in clearly distress yet everytime there is scene of him with his kids patients, he always put on a warm smile/more relax/passionate.

I mean..... now that I watch HP like 5 times (I swear it's not 6 or 9 or 15 times at all :phew:), it's becoming more apparent that as the show goes on, the stories show us more  reasons of why JeongWon would NOT actually go through with priesthood!!

Edited by sillyvivian_yo89
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

Hi I'm very new here ahsjsjs. I made an account just now because I've been following this thread for a while already and wanted to jump in!

I made this thread of tweets earlier and wonder what you guys think because boy am I really in this deep:

"honestly when i started seeing the claim that winter garden became too sudden, i thought about it a lot and looked for evidence that can either refute or confirm this claim. and then i began to think about gyeoul herself and jeongwon himself and their attraction to one another.

what makes winter garden special, and what draws a majority of the viewers to them (i think), is the idea that it's a love (a connection) that's actually so real when it comes to the characterization of the two.

i'll try not to expound so much on this lest i start drafting an essay lol (rip i ended up writing p much an essay). but what im trying to say is jeongwon really struggled and contemplated becoming a priest because it rly was hard. it's hard being a doctor, especially when youre a deeply empathic one.

i believe he at first thought that to gain more control over his emotions he needed to stray away from what was causing them (difficulty of being a doctor) and enter priesthood.

but the thing is, he's a one-of-a-kind doctor because he cares about his patients. he loves them and loves doing what he does, even if it's painful at times. i think it took him a while to really realize in his heart that perhaps God wanted him to save lives this way.

it took a while, yes, but still! and gyeoul, while not being the primary reason he chose to stay, still became a big reason why. he may not have even realized she was one (huge) reason until the last two episodes. his feelings crept up on him.

so for some time he wanted to stop being a doctor to avoid feeling too much emotional pain. key word is "avoid". and then gyeoul appeared and he was endeared. he saw how hardworking and persevering and how willing to change and better herself gyeoul is.

he saw how flawed she is, and in turn saw how she did her best to eliminate these flaws and work hard. idk about u guys but that's hella attractive lmao, especially, i think, to someone like jeongwon. so while avoiding the pain, he also tried to suppress.

he attempted to suppress his growing feelings for and attraction to gyeoul too. but you can see through most scenes they have together that he did care, even if he tried to suppress. he grew fond because he's a guy who's full of love. i feel like he sees the good in people naturally too. but he was also conflicted.

i think that if you don't look closely, their connection might appear "sudden". but i vehemently disagree it was sudden. it was Subtle. in the end, the feelings jeongwon harbored for gyeoul exploded in his face when he saw her cry and confess.

gyeoul's massive crush for jeongwon was apparent from the very start she and ikjun first talked about him. jeongwon's was quieter bc it was suppressed. it was like a stream that silently flowed until it hit a block in its way and the water ended up surging up, above, and around.

the kiss was his display of affection for gyeoul, yes. but i think it was also him submitting to his desires and the reality of who he is - ahn jeongwon, who loves deeply and wants so much and is human and unique (like each person is!).

ahn jeongwon who really likes jang gyeoul.

there's perhaps a hidden(?) charm or beauty to winter garden that i've come to love. gyeoul may have been persistent and jeongwon may have been keen on avoiding her bc of his feelings/internal conflict. these sound like opposites.

however in truth, they are one and the same. they are human. they make their own mistakes. they struggle and they want love and they want safety and security in ways that might differ but are actually all the same too.

i love this pairing a lot because there's so much special energy to how two struggling (in their own ways) people ended up in each other's embrace in the end.

anyway, countless of ships and stories are often up to people's interpretation. but this is mine. and i think it's a lot of people's too.

tl;dr: winter garden otp i love them and think they're cool and cute. the end. DHSHSJSJJSJSJSHSHSHS

-

yeah so HI again I am happy to be here and I hope u guys have a great day! (it's 2.30 am here..)

• Like 5
  • Love 14
  • Awesome 5

15 minutes ago, seasonal_love said:

In episode 11, Songhwa said 2 hours from Sokcho to Seoul

Yes. I think Yulje is not in Seoul area. I try rewatch to understand the location of the hospital. At 1st epi, Jun wan and Jeongwon works at Gangwoon-do Hospital. It is probably in Gangwoon Province. 

Jeongwon visits Yangpyeong regularly, i think he is nearby to Yangpyeong. 

Yulje location could be in the suburban area close to Seoul. Namyangju? Hanam? I try to understand the location tho. I recheck through Naver Maps - Sokcho is 3 hours from Seoul. 

For IkJun, his dedication to go to Sokcho which at the other side of S. Korea, is truly shows his love for SongHwa

• Like 9