[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

30 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@kokodus See I don't agree that Jeong-won doesn't notice Dr Maggot/Jang. I think he does... seen in the biscuit eating scene... which is why I imagine that is the most popular pairing in the poll. The question then is why does he notice her at time and pretends not to at other times... ;)

He is generally a more observant person. The kalguksu scene in ep 2 is the perfect example of how he notices even small things happening around him and acts instantly. The chocopie scene, i'm not sold, he would do the same thing for anyone. It does really confuse me as to why he didn't acknowledge her after the chase scene. It is really weird. Maybe he just cares for her too much and is mad that she put herself in danger. Or he is just really mad that she didn't follow what he said and acted on her own.  They are intentionally not letting us know how he feels about her. 

I agree the wait is just too long. Wednesdays especially seems longer than other days. LOL. 

Another thing is why except for Jun wan everyone is paired with their residents? It is just so weird. This is not Grey's anatomy, I don't know why they are doing this. LOL. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

@kokodus we’ve been friends for so Long . But it’s the first time you & I are sharing a drama thread & it’s the first time I see you write so much :lol:
one for our Oppa ! He’s adorable off & on screen. #bias 

As to Dr Jang & Andreas - his current reactions to her feel very typical k drama sort of trope right ? It seems like he’s not noticing her nor acknowledging her but it’s clear he does . In fact it felt like he consciously chose not to  show any acknowledgement for what she did in the last episode  ....you won’t do that unless that person bothers you in a way that she has not before ...kkkkkkk...see I am fanning my ship .:lol:

i do like dr Jang . I am a big fan of people who may seem lacking but tries hard . That’s how she comes across to me . 

@triplem Ahhh I know. I never participate in drama threads. But in this thread every third post is mine. Hahaha. This drama sucked me in for good. But most of my post has no real content, it's just my useless fangirling stuff. LOL. I like reading the others though. So many insightful posts from everyone of them. Very happy to finally share a thread with you and @bedifferent:wub: 

Also i don't have anything to do during this lockdown period. I don't have to WFH or attend online classes. I have so much time to kill, and this is the only ongoing drama I'm watching. Hehe

@Lawyerh Hehehehe. This is like rubbing salt to my wound. Why are you doing this to me? I already moved on but you are trying to bring me back??? LOL. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

35 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

:heart: Team #JunHwa.. me flying solo, wheres my supporter of sinking ship ... :joy: But I think Kyung Ho and Mi Do do support my ship :mrgreen:

NO NO NO NO!!! PLEASE :D:D:mrgreen: im #TeamJunSun here!!!:tounge_xd:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • LOL 2

No.1 - I definitely want AJW with Dr Jang. His siblings already enuff as a priest/nun. His mom deserved a grandchildren, right? They need descendants, it must! 

And I also hope Mdm Rosa finds her happiness. So, her son can have his life too.. I dont mind CSH ends up with whom. I have enuff of hoping Deok Sun with Jung Hwan (Reply 1988)..OMG my heartache. 

No. 2 - the best time of ur early life, friendship! Second phase, is love life. (both I never/havent experienced). Family is forever. 

No. 3 - of course the karaoke scene! I always go to karaoke everytime travelling witj my two good friend. And the latest one we have to cancel due to lockdown. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dairymilks said:

A Korean fan has noticed a pattern in the endings of each episode

Hmmm 

Any JunSong shipper would find this pattern interesting but let's try to dissect each episode. 

(See the *asterisks and the weight these scenes carry. The ending scenes keep us on the edge of our seats but the flashback scenes contribute so much to the mystery game. They answer most of our questions.)

Episode 1: We were left with Jun Wan seeing Prof. Jang cheating on Song Hwa. (Why Jun Wan of all people? - Was it because the showrunners wanted to paint a picture that he's "soft" when it comes to Song Hwa, whom is a friend but he respects and who's the same age as him but is an elder like? (Based on his character description) He considered her feelings first.)

*How they all met in 1999. Whether we like it or not, the flashback scene of their first meeting really gave birth to Reply 1999. Lol. :P

Episode 2: The cheating subplot was explored in this Songhwa-centric episode. There were little signs of Chi Hong secretly admiring Song Hwa. Seok Hyeong revealed that he's divorced. Ik Jun revealed that he's married.

Song Hwa received a new pair of shoes on her birthday. (Who gave it? The guessing game officially started - Yup, everyone thought of Jun Wan. Some fans crossed out Ik Jun because it was a shocker that he was married then. Jeong Won being Jeong Won. He's still fixated on his priesthood plans.)

Guy x girl friendship. We were left with a big statement "So what? You're so old fashioned." It implied that there's really nothing going on with Jun Wan & Song Hwa (We still don't know what happened between them in the past. But as of present time, that's his truth.) It was actually a parallel to the twins and their discussion with Seok Min earlier in the episode.

*In this episode, we found out that Seok Hyeong confessed to Song Hwa in the past. We also found out that she rejected him. She said there was someone else.

Episode 3: Ik Sun was hospitalized and Jun Wan was in charge. But there was no clear implication that Ik Sun would be a potential love interest. There were little details though. Ik Jun & Jun Wan had a conversation about Ik Sun and Micky the dog earlier in the episode. In episode 2, Jun Wan reminded Ik Jun of his sister when he jokingly said that he'd introduce Jeong Won to his sister if he had one.

Chi Hong came to the camping site and revealed that it was him who gave a new pair of shoes to Song Hwa. There was a clear signal here. Chi Hong is Song Hwa's new love interest.

*Aloha karaoke scene.

*Everyone had an encounter with their potential love interest except for Ik Jun. Hye Jeong asked for a divorce. She cheated on him too.

Episode 4: It ended with Jun Wan visiting Ik Sun in Inje. This didn't just happen out of the blue. Jun Wan visited her after what, 2 months? He had enough time to think things over.

Ik Sun got the viewers hooked since her first scene in the episode. Viewers were able to connect the dots. We found out why Jun Wan visited Ik Sun 5x and why he acted that way when Chi Hong came to visit her.

*The forming of the band in 1999. The sudden shift in Song Hwa's expression when Ik Jun started playing the lead guitar. Is there really a story behind that look?

Episode 5: It ended with Song Hwa's dilemma. It ended with her alone. How would the guys react to her condition and decision?

Confession-themed episode. Jun Wan confessed to Ik Sun (We also found out something about the Chocolate that Jun Wan's been keeping in his drawer. Ik Sun likes it too.) Chi Hong confessed to Song Hwa. Min Ha was about to confess to Seok Hyeong but it didn't happen. Dr. Jang heard about Min Ha's plans of confessing to Seok Hyeong. Jeong Won was grilled again. The elders asked him about having a girlfriend and marriage. He confessed that he's in love with the Man above.

*Strange. No flashback to 1999.

*But someone from the past returned. We got Go Ara's cameo. Once again, everybody's love story is about moving forward but for some reason, the showrunners chose to link Ik Jun to his "past" lover. They brought his ex back.

At first look, it seems like these endings are only directed to Jun Wan & Song Hwa but when you flesh out the episode itself, you'll see the bigger picture. You'll grasp the theme and realize that these characters are all connected to one another.

Chi Hong and Ik Sun are connected because of their military background. Jun Wan and Song Hwa are longtime friends. This "square" seems interesting already but the writer wants to make it more interesting. It seems like this setup aims to trigger someone. Who?

• The obvious one, Jun Wan. How would he react? We already know that he cares for Song Hwa too (as a friend) It was already established in the earlier episodes. He didn't like Prof. Jang. How about Chi Hong? Will he get his approval considering that Ik Sun seems to be crushing on him too?

If they're really going down the JunSong path, then why add Ik Sun in the picture? Why did it have to be Ik Jun's sister?

• The not-so-obvious one, Ik Jun. He had a small talk with Seok Min & Chi Hong before. They were talking about military academy but it was cut short. He has been matchmaking Chi Hong with his sister and he has been very vocal of his approval without really knowing what's going on. We saw Ik Jun talking to Chi Hong again in the preview for episode 6. Direct conversations.

Jun Wan x Ik Sun mirrors Chi Hong x Song Hwa because of their same denominators. But our inquisitive minds can't help but include Ik Jun in this equation. Why is that? Did they succeed in making us curious about the ambiguity of their friendship? Compared to Jun Wan x Song Hwa, we haven't got a more in-depth look at their friendship yet. Perhaps, the writer wants us to look beyond what's obvious and find out something that isn't included in Ik Jun's character description. Who's Song Hwa to Ik Jun?

• JeongWon isn't involved with this but as of now, he has too much on his plate already. Dr. Jang's crush on him, his job as daddy long legs and his priesthood plans. But for sure, they'll reveal something about his budding love in his 20s and his reason why he likes to be a priest soon.

• Seok Hyeong's dealing with the pregnancy of his father's mistress and her request to her mom about divorcing his father. Min Ha is interested on him too.

They're weaving a complicated web here. Hopefully, in episode 6, we'll get new insights and progress on their personal story arcs. :lol:

• Insightful 9

Maybe I over-analyze things. I used to think that Jun Wan had a past crush to Song Hwa. That's why I shipped them before, besides he shows care toward Song Hwa the most. And maybe Jeong Won recognizes something about it, that's why Jeong Won kept teasing Jun Wan about Hawaii. Jeong Won said in episode 1 that he found out an interesting picture in his cyword album, a picture of something in Hawaii. Then Jun Wan immediately join the band. And in episode 3, Jun Wan said he broke many hearts with Aloha song. And Jeong Won said, "Yes, In Hawaii'. So anything about Hawaii might be about romance.

Meanwhile, Song Hwa, between them, had no clue about it at all. And Jun Wan seemed a little bit panicked. I used to think this Hawaii thing has to do with Song Hwa. And Jeong Won knows Jun Wan liked Song Hwa in the past. But since they don't talk anymore about Hawaii (probably reveal it later or not at all), I also changed my mind when I re-watched episode 2. 

Jun Wan asked Jeong Won for any past romance, maybe a sign that Hawaii's thing was not about Song Hwa.

4O1H2H0.png

P9PgQx1.png

And sometimes I was thinking, what if the other way around. Jun Wan who was actually Song Hwa's past crush? But he seemed no idea about it. Since Jun Wan cares a lot about Song Hwa, Song Hwa realized it (Jun Wan's caring and attention). Meanwhile, when they talking about someone's in Song Hwa's heart (or romance within the circle), Jun Wan looked like he has no clue at all.

Btw thanks for the pattern analysis chingu @ibelieveee

As a shipper of Jun Wan - Song Hwa and Ik Jun - Song Hwa myself, I had felt that these three maybe would have ups and down relationship in the future. We don't know yet. Let's enjoy the rest of the story even though doing the analysis can be so fun too :D :) 

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

If Songhwa actually had a crush on Ik Jun then poor soul had endured soooo much pain& suffering I guess :cry: I mean she had to watch Ik Jun dating all along with different girls & then finally him getting married would have been a real pain for her. And adding more salt to injury if she did not confess his feelings to him then she definitely had to put up a happy face in front of IK Jun whenever he started dating to a new girl. Adding more fuel to fire is the fact that they are besties for 20 years, why? because if u have a crush on someone & don't confess it and it doesn't not shape into a mutual relationship then after some time possibly it can subside or die down especially if the 2 persons become apart or do not get in touch for a long tim But in this case  poor Song Hwa could not leave anywhere because of their 20 years long friendship so her feelings could not be finished altogether & she must have feelings for Ik Jun even right now in this point of time. Although quite possible that they may become hidden somewhere deep down inside her.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JJS's Fan-atics said:

If Songhwa actually had a crush on Ik Jun then poor soul had endured soooo much pain& suffering I guess :cry: I mean she had to watch Ik Jun dating all along with different girls & then finally him getting married would have been a real pain for her. And adding more salt to injury if she did not confess his feelings to him then she definitely had to put up a happy face in front of IK Jun whenever he started dating to a new girl. Adding more fuel to fire is the fact that they are besties for 20 years, why? because if u have a crush on someone & don't confess it and it doesn't not shape into a mutual relationship then after some time possibly it can subside or die down especially if the 2 persons become apart or do not get in touch for a long tim But in this case  poor Song Hwa could not leave anywhere because of their 20 years long friendship so her feelings could not be finished altogether & she must have feelings for Ik Jun even right now in this point of time. Although quite possible that they may become hidden somewhere deep down inside her.

I don't know if this has been shared before or not in this group, but the clues make it more sense for Ik Jun to be Song Hwa's first love. 

And this description for Song Hwa's character on the website is interesting: "Twenty years old, Song Hwa burned the years' youth with love."

And according to Bong Kwang Hyun's explanation, it's more likely Song Hwa still hasn't forgotten her past crush. Even in episode 2, Song Hwa said firmly to the other four that she really had someone she liked in the past. It means, she still remembers her past crush because she's still talking about that, even emphasize it after 20 years. Hmm, she must be really loved him.

I think it would make us heartbroken if they do the flashback in 99's era, knowing she has been dealing with her feelings and kept it all this time. It must be very uncomfortable while you see your crush almost every day for 20 years, married or dating other girls. And yet, she didn't say anything. For some reason, I think maybe they will reveal Song Hwa's first love in the last episode of season 1 and leave (and torture) us with an open ending.

But it also can be Jun Wan, because, in the above analysis video, the only reason why Jun Wan was not the first love of Song Hwa is that because Jun Wan is in a good mood with Lee Ik Sun, and that reason was not relevant to someone in Song Hwa's heart 20 years ago. Even though the clues are points to Ik Jun, but there is no reason for Jun Wan to be not her first love too. Of course, for now, all of these are just our personal assumptions, but it is also a way to enjoy the drama. :D 

• Like 4

@Kaizen68 Yeah u r right these r all just our assumptions & they really do make the drama more enjoyable:thumbsup:. And if the supposed crush was JUNWAN ( which I do not think so ) even then it was pure pain for SongHwa. As he dated many girls right Infront of her. She didn't confess . And had to put up a happy face for every JunWan relationship hiding her true feelings.:cry:.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, kokodus said:

Another thing is why except for Jun wan everyone is paired with their residents? It is just so weird. This is not Grey's anatomy, I don't know why they are doing this. LOL. 

Because he doesn't have a resident of the opposite sex who is unmarried? 

:D

Actually we don't know that this isn't Grey's Anatomy... yet. ;) We don't know what we're actually dealing with. Many here are looking to PD Shin and writer's previous efforts for clues to reading the future with the assumption that the past can inform in detail about the present. What if they've decided to do something they've never done before? Who is to say that Hospital Playlist is anything like the Reply shows or even Prison Playbook? It's touted to be a multi-season drama funded by Netflix for the most part and it has a sizeable international audience as well. Anything can happen within reason.

To some degree it makes good sense to me that the Fab Five get paired up with residents because they spend more time with their residents than even their own family and friends. With the kind of schedules these people have, when else do they have time to meet people? Church maybe. Blind dates? So it's hardly surprising that office romances are the order of the day.

As for Jeong-won's aspiration for the priesthood, I've already written a long post on that. As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING about that is written in stone. In fact, from all the interactions he's had with  people regarding that, I'm not convinced that he's headed for the priesthood. None of his family or friends think he should take holy orders. Year after year, oldest Brother talks him out of it. When he goes to church it's usually to see his brother and/or confess. From what I see his passion is medicine. Absolutely 100%. Just think about the way he took off at the start of the marathon run to raise money for breast cancer. The hospital calls, he answers. His heart is in medicine not the ministry. My views on this have entirely nothing to do with Dr Jang/Maggot.

Of course nothing may come from this pairing. But to say that JW treats her similarly to everyone else, I can't agree.

You're a good sport @kokodus. I know I push back a lot ;) because somehow I feel the need to for this show more than any other I've watched for a while. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I would be surprised if Jeong Won ended up a priest. I feel like even though it's his dream, it might be an ideal more than what's good for him and that's why his brother kind of nudges him away from it. I had a phase like that too, I wanted to be a missionary, but I realized that even though I thought it was a great thing I could do I partially wanted to do it because it felt like an easy decision. I feel like that might be the case of Jeong Won too. There's still time for the show to prove me wrong, but as of now I don't think it will happen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6po6bwm.jpgvWNxfr8.jpgTFCwiRl.jpg11KR6SZ.jpg

Before I even knew that Gyeo wool has a crush on him. When I saw this scene, I don't know maybe the way he said it but that made me want to see him fall for her. Many seem to think that Gyeo wool 's crush will stay unrequited. Maybe. I read there're clues that the endgame is Jeong won and Song Hwa. They didn't have a scene alone so I've no particular feeling about them. For now, nothing indicates that Gyeo wool's feelings are reciprocated but it seems that Jeong won is more aware of her. Why? Is it on a professional or personal level? I have no idea. I think Jeong won’s storyline at the moment, is whether he'll give up being a doctor to pursue his dream of becoming a priest. If he gives up becoming a priest, I want it to be because he loves his job and not for a woman love. It would be more consistent with his character. He loves his mother so much and yet he refuses to do it for her. Dr Jang is one of my favorite characters. I want to see her character's development, her aspirations and tribulations as a doctor and her love life too.
As for the ships, from the beginning, before we find out that he's married, I had the feelings that  Ik Jun and Song hwa were going to be a thing. Their dynamics seem different to me. I like Captain Ahn, he is a good man, attentive, considerate. I ship them but everything indicates that Song Hwa will end up with one of her 4 friends. Jun wan and Ik sun, I love them but I doubt that she will accept for now. Min Ah seems to have a crush on Seok Hyeong. I'm waiting to see a bit more their interactions.
Regarding Song Hwa's health, the preview points to something serious. Hopefully, they're misleading us. And if this is unfortunately the case, I hope that she'll go through it with the support of her friends. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, mkmk said:

I would be surprised if Jeong Won ended up a priest. I feel like even though it's his dream, it might be an ideal more than what's good for him and that's why his brother kind of nudges him away from it. I had a phase like that too, I wanted to be a missionary, but I realized that even though I thought it was a great thing I could do I partially wanted to do it because it felt like an easy decision. I feel like that might be the case of Jeong Won too. There's still time for the show to prove me wrong, but as of now I don't think it will happen.

Now, I would be entirely probable to me if Jeong-won ended up as a missionary doctor in some third world slum (I won't name names). If he chose wisely and found himself a like-minded colleague who doubles up as a spouse... shall we say... someone who doesn't mind trudging through maggot-infested squatter communities... hmmm...

I know... it's the stuff of fan fiction... :D

1 hour ago, LovelyLady said:

Before I even knew that Gyeo wool has a crush on him. When I saw this scene, I don't know maybe the way he said it but that made me want to see him fall for her. Many seem to think that Gyeo wool 's crush will stay unrequited. Maybe. I read there're clues that the endgame is Jeong won and Song Hwa. For now, nothing indicates that Gyeo wool's feelings are reciprocated but it seems that Jeong won is more aware of her. Why? Is it on a professional or personal level? I have no idea. I think Jeong won’s storyline at the moment is whether he'll give up being a doctor to pursue his dream of becoming a priest. If he gives up becoming a priest, I want it to be because he loves his job and not for a woman love. It would be more consistent with his character. He loves his mother so much and yet he refuses to do it for her. Dr Jang is one of my favorite characters. I want to see her character's development, her aspirations and tribulations as a doctor and her love life too.

The appeal for me is that it's almost as if the showrunners are trying play out a tsundere relationship without the typical tsundere male. There is some kind of role reversal going on that's for certain. Dr Jang initially looked like she had the classic tsundere characteristics and yet there's an innocence about her. Jeong-won carries the warm and cheerful side of the equation with shades of immaturity, yet with her he is markedly more tsundere. However, she is the one crushing on him first. So there's a sharing/splitting IMO of the classic tsundere qualities. The elements are there but it doesn't seem to be panning out in the usual way. I think that's what a lot of us are seeing and are being drawn to. I've always felt that Gyeol Ul was a manga-like character... patterned after a dojikko and a moe. I think the moe aspect to her is what Ik-jun likes about her. Like a mix of a Nodame and a Kotoko (ItaKiss). 

Anyhoo... I have loads of housework waiting for me. Under the current climate, washing and cleaning doesn't hibernate unfortunately. ;)

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, LovelyLady said:

Regarding Song's health, the preview points to something serious. Hopefully, they're misleading us. And if this is unfortunately the case, I hope that she'll go through it with the support of her friends. 

I also hope that it is not serious for her.
It is by seeing the comments on this drama that I got into it, I love the character Song Hwa the female lead I like the fact that she has a lot of presence on the screen because she is in front of 4 lead males
after for the story of the Ship I add that I prefer to see Song hwa with  Jeong won ( I don't dream)  or with ik jun, just my preference. I love the friendship between the 5
 I hope the writers will make the right choices for couples, I'm sure we will have answers by the end of this season but anyway with three seasons can we hope each couple stay together

• Like 2