[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

The closure was neat, the ending scenes had a nice feel to it. The part where SeoHui was crying over SangHun’s body was heart breaking. I have to give credit to the writers for holding it close to the brim and only letting it spill at the end, giving SangHun’s terminal cancer as his rationale for mutilating his own body to force the Chairman to owe up to his misdeeds. Even then i find as@ktcjdrama put it a foolish way to go about it. Noting that the Chairman did not realised the mutilation was done by SangHun until SeoHui handed him SangHun’s letter, only means SangHun failed to draw his attention. SangHun could have for eg. sent the first video of the hand mutilation and appeal to the chairman himself. Would it have stopped then? Then of course we would not have been taken on this roller coaster ride. 

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A consolation for us...our OTP... at least happy in real life (and SHoon is whole :D).   Honestly they look so comfortable together.  :wub:  I haven’t had a chance to watch the final ep.  Sounds ominous from spoilers.  :tears:

I'm in the party of not agreeing with how Sang Hoon's one-sided decision to take it to the extreme.  I don't fully fault him since it was made while he felt cornered and hopeless.  To him, it was the only way to stop his father but it was under the false impression that deep inside, Chairman Jeong is capable of love.  Among the three men, Sang Hoon is the gentle soul.  Yeong Min is the only "son" who finally understood the old man's true manipulative nature.  Dong Gu shunted his own's father for acceptance from a man he revered.  All three men's lives were destroyed by one man's ego, greed... someone who holds himself above everyone and everything.

I wish that Sang Hoon would have confided in Seo Hui.  It is bittersweet for me to hear him talking about believing in her strength in a letter. He could have and should have told her the same sentiments in person.  She should have the right to fight with him side by side.  All the things that Yeong Min had to convince her to do: run for office, pass the bill, block it, etc... I don't see why Sang Hoon couldn't ask her to do the same alive.  I think Seo Hui would have appreciate his support along the way instead of being alone struggling her way through.  It was not fair for her and not something I would have chosen to do to a person I love. The pain that he put her through, the manipulation, is too much to bear.

I wish that Sang Hoon approached justice with the same outlook as TaeSik and Seo Hui.  I love this shot of their handshake.  Despite how dark and crazy this world is, you can't given up hope in humanity.  There are decent people who still care to do the right thing. But Sang Hoon knows he was dying and running out of time thus his decision was desperate.   If only the three men had opened up to TaeSik.  It is ashamed that their trust in others were damaged by Chairman Jeong.   Seo Hui was lucky to have found an upright person to lean on in her time of need in TaeSik.  Her trust in him was the first step.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.05.51 PM

For TaeSik, his last case before retiring freed him.  He may not have kept his promise to bring her husband home alive but it was his perseverance and support that comforted Seo Hui.  He witnessed all kinds of terrible things men do to each other but he also saw goodness in people.   In a way, he leaves the force comforted by the fact that justice is more resilient.. people still believe in doing the right things.  A little more optimistic in humanity.  A lot more happy that he has walked the right path till the end when others had given up.

I love Taesik's conversation with his mom.  Those who passed would want us to keep on living.  Life goes on, we carry a part of our loved ones with us even if they are not in our thoughts everyday.  Remember to live well and honorable for those who can't anymore.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.07.33 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.07.20 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.07.05 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.08.58 PM

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.10.00 PM

SeoHui visiting Yeong Min is heartbreaking.   May he rest in peace.  May we never live like Yeong Min to get acceptance and love over self worth.  The last sequence of Seo Hui walking in the field looking for Sang Hoon's presence is beautiful.  I hope she'll find someone to embrace in the near future, she deserves to be loved.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.12.34 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.12.08 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.13.37 PMScreen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.13.54 PM

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.10.10 PM

Sigh... guessed right but it was still hard to watch :tears:.  The last scenes were lovely.  Much needed reprieve from the gore and pervasive evil that we were witness to for 15 episodes.

All because one old man didn’t have courage enough to say “sorry”.  So much pain for all those involved.  As some have suggested, the saving grace is that evil will always persist but there are those of us who still fight the good fight despite the odds.  Just because it’s worth fighting for.  Kudos to TS and his team. And SHui.

It was well worth 16hours of my time.  Thanks all for the discussions.  You made it all the more entertaining  :).  Till the next drama, adieu. 

Is Taesik really retiring, or will he be working in the police station in his hometown? Figured he will need the cash flow esp for his mom's healthcare.  And his hometown is different from Songju, right?

This series was a sad one. I shed tears watching the last ep.  Some have said this is a OCN drama and not having totally happy endings is the norm.

@cherriesblue my mistake, I typed retiring when I meant transferring.  He has transferred to a substation outside of Seoul, not Songju.  OCN dramas, outside of gruesome, don’t have typical kdrama sweet endings :D

I do like seeing Ho Gyu spirit in a salmon colored shirt.  The afterlife is not boring or bland after all LOL

@nrllee  Hope to see everyone in the Secret Forest 2 thread when it starts.  I am waiting for Lee Sun Kyun’s drama to start. There’s several potentially good dramas next year :)

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@nrllee  Hope to see everyone in the Secret Forest 2 thread when it starts.  I am waiting for Lee Sun Kyun’s drama to start. There’s several potentially good dramas next year :)

I will be there @bedifferent with bells. 

Although I didn’t comment much in this thread but this was an awesome drama. I always felt SH was in on it. It bothered me to see him sitting there and not fighting them. It was realistic that YM would also die. YM lost the two people who loved him most. YM could never understand why SH didn’t want the life he had. 

Losing the girl he loved truly opened his eyes, made him afraid but then seeing the length SH wanted to go through to stop the Chairman also opened his eyes.  As he continued with SH plan, he became numb through it all but it still hurt him. SH loved YM, he was his family and the one person who he could be totally honest with. Someone who knew his past and future. 
It would seem that he did loved his adoptive father even though he hurt him.   Ironically the Chairman did love him in his own way. Also the Chairman finally learned that SH did love him no matter what kind of person her was. He loved him unconditionally. DI and YM could have been surrogate because all they really wanted was his acceptance. In the Chairman’s eyes he saw only greed but he mistakenly read their hearts wrong.  SH never loved him for what he gave him , so he could always trust him just like SH. Seo Hui  was the same , she was an open book and he thought she was weak. In truth she was strong and all she needed was the right push to do the right thing. 
what do you guys think??

I feel like crying now. Though I still can't agree with Sang Hun and Yeong Min's plan. Mutilation? Oh my god it's a psycho thing. I thought, "Why didn't they find another way, more powerful institution. I don't know. Minister or even blue house."

And then the doctor said he had brain tumor. Then I thought, "Ahh this is his reason. He needs an impactful yet gambling shortcut." 

It's really a gambling plan.

Just got back home. Long day, still haven’t watched with subs... but I thought about a (hopefully) smarter way if mutilation must be done.... Send the “torture” video to Chairman instead of SeoHui.... or better still, send a pleading video by Sang Hun himself “Save me, Daddy! Or else...” :huh: Maybe we can save a foot and an eye with that? I don’t know...

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just got back home. Long day, still haven’t watched with subs... but I thought about a (hopefully) smarter way if mutilation must be done.... Send the “torture” video to Chairman instead of SeoHui.... or better still, send a pleading video by Sang Hun himself “Save me, Daddy! Or else...” :huh: Maybe we can save a foot and an eye with that? I don’t know...

No, this would have raised suspicions that the accomplice is next to the chairman. He would have immediately suspected JYM. If they had sent it to the chairman, this meant that they knew about the contamination and the cause of the CSH and KSC's death. Hence their goal would have not been achieved.

About the mutilations: we shouldn't forget that JSH had been adopted because he resembled his deceased son so much. So with the mutilations, JSH is trying to destroy the image of his deceased son. It was as if he was giving up his identity as his son... Finally, they also symbolize the crimes committed by the chairman: contamination resulted in the destruction of parts in the human bodies. 

@nrllee @bedifferent After watching the whole conversation between the chairman and JYM, I came to understand why YM first told the chairman about CSH's investigation. He had definitely been influenced/brainwashed by the chairman but he never thought that this man would even commit murder. Her death made him realize what kind of man the chairman truly was. Notice that JSH didn't leave a letter to the chairman but only wrote to KSH because he knew that his father was responsible for his death. 

KSH might resent JSH but she loved the man Yu ES... hence she called him with his original name. By doing so, she cut ties with the chairman, she doesn't acknowledge him any longer as a relative to JSH because he caused his son's death.

I have to say that the writer did a good job because she used a lot of red herrings: sexual abuse f. ex. Furthermore, Jin Young Min was a well written character, quite complex to read. 

Even though I understood where SH was coming from, it was hard for me to accept this as the best way to bring his father down. I Guess I really wanted a sort of happy ending ...who am I kidding right , this is ocn ..:lol:

loved the cast . I really liked Lee Min Ki in this role especially how he portrayed TS - calm , thorough & dependable.  Also hats off to Oh Ju Wan who played YM. He did amazing - he was the hardest to read and the writer did a great job fleshing out his character right till the very end . While I can’t say that this would be my favourite ocn drama ( I reserve that for Life On Mars & Bad Guys) , it was a good watch & honestly I found myself enjoying this thread . Maybe even more than the drama . :lol:. Thanks all for making this thread such a fun & insightful read

And finally , I started this for LJH & it was his love story with Seo Hui that kept me invested all the way . His role here was kept a secret , so this has been a real treat for me.  He’ll be leading a new MBC drama as a detective ( 365 - One Year Against Destiny) . Maybe I’ll see some of you there :)

LJH welled up? :lol::wub:  At 2:05-2:08 in the video above after his final scene and he received flowers.  He was looking fondly at LYY and she asked him, “Why are you crying?”.  Aww... they must be good friends for him to step in and play her “husband” SHoon.  Such a nice man. Hopefully they will meet together again in a lighter drama.

5 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

@bebebisous33 which part of episode did it show a red herring that there might be sexual abuse? I missed this, didnt get the impression that any of them experienced this.  

AAlthough In had a drunkard and abusive father so a traumatic childhood, which partly led him to how he is now.

The fact that JTS's sister died (she got sexually abused) and we had this interview where a criminal, an abused boy, had killed the perpetrator and all this time, the village knew about the abuse and did nothing. In reality, the parallel was elsewhere: many people knew about the contamination but they did nothing out of greed, cowardice, indifference aso. 

@triplem Sang Hun’s decision was truly heartbreaking and it will definitely continue to leave those on the outside to question whether his choice was really the best/only option. In his farewell letter, I remember him saying that he felt powerless in front of his father. It must be that with his extreme plan, he finally felt he was in control for once in his life. Nevertheless, I agree that it’s utterly hard to accept that he felt self-sacrifice was the only way to defeat his father. In exchange, it was all for a noble cause, but the cost is just too painful for those who loved him. I keep thinking that if Sang Hun and YM had remained together at the orphanage, they would have likely grown up to lead “normal” lives. It saddens me that because of the chairman, they became broken souls. Since the story goes that they could not have a happy ending, I can only wish that they found peace in their decisions.

Regarding the couple, OCN totally pulled wool over my eyes with all the sweet flashbacks and BTS. I really wanted (and thought) they would be be reunited. Sigh...oh well. Alternatively, it would be lovely if LJH and LYY could be reunited in a lighter/romantic drama one day.

I loved the cast as well. I don’t consider this my favorite OCN drama either, but I unknowingly became attached to the characters and do respect the writer’s creativity. Life on Mars and Tunnel are my favorites so far. Will need to check out Bad Guys and keep my eyes out for LJH's upcoming drama.

I truly had a great time with everyone here in the thread. Take care and hope to bump into you all elsewhere. :)

@taeunfighting perhaps it would have been easier for me to accept the self sacrifice if Seo Hui wasn’t in the picture. The early synopsis implied a marriage of 2 families but from those flashbacks it was clear they loved each other . I suppose he did not want to see her having  to lose him twice . 
Yes , I loved Tunnel too . Bad Guys ( the 1st one ) has a unique storyline . Think you may enjoy it . Also liked Voice ( S1) & it’s worth checking out if you hv not seen it before . 

@triplem To your earlier point, you're right that to understand and to accept are two different things. I believe Seo Hui struggled to cope with the two as well. Although the story had dark elements, it had some beautiful undertones too. Sang Hun and Seo Hui's love for each other was a ray of light throughout. I was glad the writer didn't go with the marriage of two families path, but because s/he didn't, it made us viewers root so much harder for them. For Seo Hui not to have it in the end was a tough swallow. :(

I occasionally re-watch Tunnel. I doubt I can with Lies. Maybe re-watching the BTS instead may help me heal. :P I've seen Voice S1. Pretty good. Just binged through Prison Playbook and have nothing else going at moment. So, I definitely have room for Bad Guys. Thank you for the recs. :)

7 hours ago, elsanna said:

Hehehe... I see ljk fans here:wub:...how was his role in the drama:rolleyes: would you recommend this drama for his fan...oops that's me:P

You mean LJH ? His was an extended cameo in support of Lee Yoo Young (the female lead ) who is from the same agency . The mystery of the drama was surrounding his disappearance & relationship with the female lead . I think it’s worth the watch as you’ll see a different side to LJH’s acting . He has decent screen time for some one who came on as a guest role. The rest of the cast was great & all in all it was an unusual plot . 

If you mean LMK ...he was a really great cop here

Final goodbyes 

Archived