[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

@nrllee @bebebisous33 You both could be on the right track about YM trying to buy shares to oust JQ.  While YM is planning his takeover, he is also poised to vote Jeong out if Jeong ended up being charged for improper waste management.

@40somethingahjumma  the only way that I think YM could survive is that he buys out all the other subsidiaries of JQ except RMC, metal, construction which he leaves for CEO Jeong to take the fall.  YM can also manipulate the news and Hong to his advantage.  Hong's main concern is the votes from Songju which are tied to the price of real estate.

I do have some questions:

1) does IDK know of YM's plan of hostile takeover?  If he does, I suspect IDK also has his own safeguard to survive and must have some dirt on YM too.  The jacket.

2) If Sang Hoon is working in the shadow to expose JQ, I find it odd that he doesn't find a way to pass information to his wife to make her investigation easier.  He also does not contact Tae Sik, almost everyone must know by now TS is trying to expose JQ's past wrongdoings.  It just seems weird that there is no help coming from SH if he is the mastermind.  Of course, we see in the preview that he may call her next week.

3) Let's wrap our head around land and votes.  Real estate around the new factory goes up if JQ can buy the national land to build it.  Jeong promises Hong the votes for the presidential election if Hong helps pass the bill for him to buy the land.  IDK has the land around the factory but Jeong owns RMC.  Seo Hui is in the same party as Hong; her constituent is Song Ju's people and was asked to push the bill forward for Jeong.  If JQ gets exposed and fined, Songju's real estate will plummet, how will Seo Hui be able to help her townspeople?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

If JQ gets exposed and fined, Songju's real estate will plummet, how will Seo Hui be able to help her townspeople?

I think for SHui who was never in politics of her own volition anyway, it’s a conscience vote.  So many people are dying and the ones already dead or suffering some terminal illness deserve justice.  Her father (true politician) wavered initially but obviously decided to turn to the light.  It cost him his life.  She would do him proud if she fought for the same cause he died for.  

@nrllee She is trying to expose the toxic ground water and save Songju.  The water has to be treated, waste be removed and townspeople have to start relying on only filtered water.  I guess what I am trying to say is aside from asking the townspeople to move out of the area, what can she do as their elected official? I hope the second half of the drama allows Seo Hui the chance to be a better person, one that has the courage to help others not just Sang Hoon.   I don't think she will end up being the person who directly confronts the culprit.  The task of that good vs evil face off is delegated for TaeSik. I want to see her do things that will make her father proud, fight for Songju.

10 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I guess what I am trying to say is aside from asking the townspeople to move out of the area, what can she do as their elected official? I hope the second half of the drama allows Seo Hui the chance to be a better person, one that has the courage to help others not just Sang Hoon. 

I don’t know if she will stay in office.  She didn’t go in office for the right reasons anyway.  Plus she’s so green.  She may be willing to help the residents but I question if that is enough because she doesn’t know enough to help effectively.  Not to say she can’t learn on the job but with her ties to the Chairman’s family, even if she is trying to right their wrongs, she faces an uphill battle from an electorate who may well turn against her because of her association with the Jeong family?  :lol: This is giving me all the DS60 vibes (dejavu) where PMJ’s naivety was called to question and whether he’s up to the task of being in the President’s seat in the interim.

Let’s see what writer nim gives us. 

13 hours ago, nrllee said:

@bebebisous33 Yes anything goes with Palpatine so it may not just be toxic waste he’s hiding

I am wondering if YM’s duplicity has also got something to do with his loathing of IDG.  Has he worked out that IDG killed CSH?  He knows that IDG has it in for him to be the fall guy if the venture fails which then leaves IDG the clear winner in the power stakes within JQ.  So it could be a mix of vengeance for CSH and also his way of “fighting back” to stake his right to be in JQ.

That is a distinct possibility too.

Plausible. 

I thought both YM and the vet showed signs of distress.  YM (incognito) with the hand washing.  And I had the impression the vet after his delivery, when he went back to his motorbike, he stood there for a few seconds seemingly shaken as if to gather himself before scooting off.  Maybe it was just the adrenaline from having to deliver such a gory parcel.  Neither men strike me as capable of amputation/enucleation without the consent of the patient.  IDG yes, but not YM or the vet.  So my money is still on SHoon being the mastermind.

Did I spot DS60 Gang here :lol:.  I think there are some form of patterns over drama we watch :lol:

Just watched EP 11-12 and omgggg.. you have a point. YM, from all stuff,strikes me as the guy who keeps calm even if you stab his mom. Which is why he overtake IDG for me as the most fascinating character ;)

But he is not hiding behind the mask :ph34r: when burning off the evidence, and saying with a bit of pride of how Sang Hun relies on him. For me his character is not that clear like IDG but no man can hide his true character 100% all the time.

And he has to survive somehow when he knew he will be the fall guy. I wonder when will he strikes? And since he knew about the list - how far along he knew about the contamination of land?

I just went back to rewatch YM’s scenes from earlier episodes and with hindsight, I wonder if we got this bit wrong?  We put this fact down to the day of the Assemblyman Kim’s car accident because we assumed the context of the conversation was 3/3...when the presumption was that SHoon went missing on 3/3.

3/3     PM?           IDG changed his meeting to email, unaccounted for 2 hours per Young-Min

But for people in JQ (Chairman, IDG and YM as well - he said SHoon was in Germany), when they were talking about the day SHoon went missing, it was the day of the escape from the mental institution?   Because they knew he was at the mental institution all that time.  This conversation happened after KPY was killed.

Jeong - YM, do you think KPY took his own life?

YM - is there someone else you are suspicious of?

Jeong - Find out what IDG was up to on the day SHoon went missing.  Find out who he ate with, what he was up to. I want an hourly breakdown.  I feel like he is plotting something behind my back.  He’s hiding something.

And then YM reports back later in another conversation.

YM - I hear the police are investigating Mr Choi (RMC) at the moment.  They believe he is connected to KPY’s murder.  And you asked me to look into IDG the other day.  Mr In was in a meeting with his team in the morning of the day SHoon disappeared.  And in the afternoon he met up with a subcontractor.  So he wasn’t in his office.  
Jeong - Is that all?

YM - I checked with the subcontractor.  It’s true that they had a meeting, but an in person meeting was replaced with emails at Mr In’s request.  I cannot confirm his whereabouts for 2 hours that day.

So the 2 hours IDG was missing was therefore on 3/6?  Not 3/3 like we thought?  That would account for IDG’s movements on 3/6.

3/6  7:12pm  In on expressway (CCTV)  

7:30pm  SangHoon MIA from hospital

8:34pm  In dropped off car at scrapyard

9:12pm  In left scrapyard

@nrllee So with your latest timeline, there is possibility that IDG is the one who has Sang Hun....

BTS including a final goodbye to Yun JS , the actor playing HG

From Han Cinema https://www.hancinema.net/the-lies-within-yun-jong-seok-i-wanted-to-express-ho-gyoo-s-kind-heart-135797.html

"The Lies Within" Yun Jong-seok, "I Wanted to Express Ho-gyoo's Kind Heart"

photo1124315.jpg

Yun Jong-seok talked about leaving "The Lies Within".

OCN drama "The Lies Within" stars Yun Jong-seok as policeman Jeon Ho-gyoo. Ho-gyoo is quick-witted, but clumsy, and blunt on the outside, but warm on the inside.

In addition to his resourcefulness when it comes to solving crimes, Jeon Ho-gyoo's sense of humor helped to lighten the atmosphere in a drama which could have seemed much too serious. As a part of the investigation team, he carried out his own tasks and brought joy to his workplace to the right extent.

Yun Jong-seok spoke through his agency and said, "Ho-gyoo hides his feelings by saying and doing things he doesn't mean. He's not good at expressing his feelings but on the inside, he thinks of others first, and that's what I tried to show the most. I want to say that Ho-gyoo is just the type who's not hated by anyone, and I hope the viewers got that".

He added, "I'm also grateful to the directors, the staff and my co-stars. It was an honor to play Ho-gyoo. I have to leave the drama first, but I hope everyone remembers him"

Yes @triplem but I think IDG lost him. SHoon escaped.  In the forest when he ran away from YM, both YM and IDG were seen at the scene.  Did SHoon get away from both or did one of them catch him?  The hand amputation had to have happened that night or early the next morning because the coroner put down time of amputation around then?  The viciousness of the hand amputation is the work of someone like IDG - that’s how I feel anyway.

I went back to try to find out what the coroner said about the foot and there was nothing forthcoming.  All we have is TaeSik at the morgue.  By the time SHui and YM appear, the foot was gone and there wasn’t a full report mentioned.  

@triplem @nrllee @40somethingahjumma @bedifferent @taeunfighting I have been wondering if YM hasn't been playing both sides in reality. Let me explain... The chairman is someone who likes to create a rivalry so that he can rule: divide and rule ("Dividere and imperare" in Latine). As you can see, the chairman views people as pawns. Consequently, YM, influenced by the chairman's mind, might have come to this tactic in order to get the ultimate power: outboost the chairman JYM and become the new CEO and chairman. He tried to play both sides: JSH/CSH and Chairman/IDG. This would explain why YM appeared passive for a long time. He let them fight each other, while in the background he can gather support and create connections.

First, YM confessed that he had told the chairman what the journalist and JSH had been doing. Yet, JSH seems to have trusted him until his escape from the mental institution. Then CSH was his lover so he had seen and heard about her investigation which means that he could have had access to the patients. Secondly JYM asked CSH to stop there... so he was well aware of her intention. Nonetheless, CSH doesn't seem to have resented him, when she left him. Now, I am wondering if at some point, YM might have come in contact with the veterinarian and presented himself as the boyfriend who lost his girlfriend due to JQ.

So the vet could have been influenced and manipulated by JYM so that infuriated, he accepted to kidnap JSH and cut his hand. JYM might have told him that by doing so, he would be able to uncover the truth. But for that, they needed KSH to become an assemblyman. However, the moment she got elected, she was requested to support the new bill. But at some point, the veterinarian might have realized that he had been played by JYM... and that's when JSH decided to help him. Notice that JYM was able to become the new appointed CEO of Jeong E&F.

Okay, this might be a crazy idea... yet I sense that JYM might be more ambitious and ruthless than he appears to be. I am sure that for each bad action, he has a justification: he did it in order to survive.

3 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Okay, this might be a crazy idea... yet I sense that JYM might be more ambitious and ruthless than he appears to be. I am sure that for each bad action, he has a justification: he did it in order to survive.

Yes I am getting that vibe now as I rewatch earlier scenes with him in it.  It’s better with context.  In the forest scene when he met SHoon, I missed the fact that his face changes as soon as SHoon shakes his hand off and runs.  He was cajoling and “kind” when he first saw SHoon trying to convince him to go back and they would “talk to the Chairman together”.  When SHoon looked at him in disbelief and sensed betrayal and ran for it,  YM’s face changed.  And he looked angry (or annoyed) that his ruse was up?  I missed all this on first viewing.  IDG did something strange too when he showed up in the forest.  He went to YM’s car, inspected it (he would’ve recognised it from the licence plate from the get go?  There was no need to “inspect it”?), then he went and opened the boot?  Why would he do that?  To check that YM didn’t have SHoon in the boot?

It would make sense for IDG to scrap his car if it had traces of SHoon in it...his blood, his hair, finger prints etc... otherwise it would be excessive?

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

but I think IDG lost him. SHoon escaped.  In the forest when he ran away from YM, both YM and IDG were seen at the scene.  Did SHoon get away from both or did one of them catch him?  

Maybe we should consider that there are two scenes of SangHun running in the forest barefoot. One, he is wearing plain clothes and the other the hospital clothes. We know from the fight with KPY that IDG do not have SangHun. So the only other person who was there in the forest after SangHun escape from the hospital is YeongMin. YeongMin may have taken SangHun somewhere and he escaped, that was the scene with SangHun wearing plain clothes. 

We should also remember that a text purportedly from Choisuyeon's phone was sent to IDG from Sanghun's apartment. 

Okay where do we go from here?:sweatingbullets: 

They are still shooting, flashback of SH looking at Seo Hui? 

@nrllee on 3/6, someone picked up IDK at the scrapyard, 9:12pm.  He didn’t have his car.  But we are shown that he drove to the woods where Sang Hoon met YM?!

That same night, Sang Hoon escaped (7:15pm).  I don’t think Sang Hoon could have wandered in the woods that long.  Seems like he may have contacted YM on the phone to meet him there so it’s hard to think IDK could have went home to get his car and came to the mental hospital?  I still don’t know how IDK knew where YM was to come to the woods.

The hand amputation have Sang Hoon in street clothes.  SH ran into the woods in hospital gown.  Whoever picked him up had him changed then amputated his hand either that night or the next morning.  Hand also has to be packed up and drop off in abandoned fridge across from KMC before calling the courier. The only persons that have been shown physically at the land across from RMC are IDK and later Seo Hui.  KPY said he knew what happened so maybe he could be the one who dropped the hand in the fridge, he knows the location and the junk yard there.    Other than him, IDK.

51 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I still don’t know how IDK knew where YM was to come to the woods.

yeah that bugged me too.  Did Dr Park (?) the Doctor tell him?  

52 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

on 3/6, someone picked up IDK at the scrapyard, 9:12pm.  He didn’t have his car.  But we are shown that he drove to the woods where Sang Hoon met YM?!

Did he drive there?  I assume he did. There was no other way he could get there...unless BOTH he and YM conspired to catch SHoon and they drove off together?  I didn’t think they were that chummy.    

17 hours ago, nrllee said:

3/6  7:12pm  In on expressway (CCTV)  

7:30pm  SangHoon MIA from hospital

8:34pm  In dropped off car at scrapyard

9:12pm  In left scrapyard

So maybe 712pm IDG drives to hospital (caught on CCTV). SHoon escapes 730pm. YM arrives to meet SHoon. SHoon runs. IDG shows up short time later at the forest.  He catches SHoon, pops him into the boot of his car, takes him to KPY?  Hand amputated.  He then drops his car off to scrapyard. KPY picks him up at 912 pm from the scrapyard?   Pure conjecture on my part.  I think that’s why IDG asked KPY where SHoon was (as if he expected KPY to know?).

On 11/18/2019 at 11:55 PM, imgreatgal said:

I suspect that IDG had stage the whole thing. IDG knew YDY is a corrupted cop and he needed someone from inside the police department to do his bidding. I find it strange that IDG kept the footage for 10yrs to be used for ChoiSuyeon's case.

i don't think IDG and YDY had known each other for 10 years. From what i understand, IDG need someone from police force to cover the CSY case and make it a suicide. So, he is doing background checks to all the officers involve in the cased and he hit jackpot when he learned YDY dirty little secret 10 years ago. 

So he has been using that cctv to threaten YDY.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:09 AM, bebebisous33 said:

@nrllee Yes, I think exactly the same. YM has planned to take over the company and have IDG and the chairman taken the fall for the water contamination. By dealing with the directors, he wants them to be on his side. By the way, I've noticed something: YM seems to have developed this habit: do nothing and just observe. He let CSH investigate but didn't help her, although he knew. At some point he reported it to the chairman. It was the same with JSH and KCH. His inactivity was the reason why they got targeted and he must have known it, when he sees now how he puts tails on IDG. I guess before, he must have monitored his best friend and the assemblyman as well.

I don't think that YM is selfless and I hope that the discovery of another huge secret will bring him down. He is definitely dirty as he betrayed his lover and his best friend. YM must have known that he was putting the journalist in danger, when he revealed the content of her investigation. 

That's why I also think, the "cut off" is directed at the chairman JYM. He is about to abandon him and let him be the scapegoat of his own trap.

JYM is the mirror of the evil chairman.   

The past 2 weeks episodes makes me realized that YM is much much more layered than IDG. IDG is more one dimensional character. He only did what he was told to, regardless how he will make sure the result is as what his boss wanted. Like no other second thoughts or thinking to betray. 

YM is more cunning, He has many things up on his sleeves and he is often a step ahead. (eg he knew chairman will spy on him so he bought the spy to his side earlier on). 

I agree that YM is really like a mirror of the chairman. They are the real evil behind the angel mask. 

2 hours ago, liltash85 said:

i don't think IDG and YDY had known each other for 10 years. From what i understand, IDG need someone from police force to cover the CSY case and make it a suicide. So, he is doing background checks to all the officers involve in the cased and he hit jackpot when he learned YDY dirty little secret 10 years ago. 

So he has been using that cctv to threaten YDY.

Agree, harking back to In Dong-gu's own secret whiteboard in his lair. The cultivation could have stretched back a couple months from when it was apparent Seoul-based police were sniffing around reporter Choe. But it would not have needed to be a lot longer than that, from context.

10 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

We should also remember that a text purportedly from Choisuyeon's phone was sent to IDG from Sanghun's apartment. 

Exactly. Unless In Dong-gu was feigning his own surprise at receiving the text. Which would be disingenuous of the writers since it breaks the rule of "withhold some facts from the viewer, but what you see is still largely reliable" (except in dream sequences or when characters are reenacting a theory).

Lots of cool analysis about Yeong-min up top, thanks all. While I'd hope he (eventually) is aligned with good, I'm not sure he is at the level of co-conspirator w/ Sang-hun. He appears to have been wrong-footed on many occasions, and he is also so bound up with the scandal that it will be hard to escape the eddies when Chairman Jeong is sucked down. Insider trading is a crime in S Korea as much as in any other functional capitalist economy, so hard for him to profit if the truth came out. Plus, JQ would be worth peanuts as the cost of reparation would force a fire sale of even their untainted businesses.

A lot might turn in the next pair of episodes, regardless, so really looking forward to his further character development. At current trajectory, he may be in for a kind of noble change-of-heart of sacrifice ending *cough fight to the death Vader/Palapatine style cough*  If they're going down the Stranger/Lee Chang-jun route it would be pretty satisfying.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:56 PM, bedifferent said:

I hope the second half of the drama allows Seo Hui the chance to be a better person, one that has the courage to help others not just Sang Hoon.   I don't think she will end up being the person who directly confronts the culprit.  The task of that good vs evil face off is delegated for TaeSik. I want to see her do things that will make her father proud, fight for Songju.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, nrllee said:

his is giving me all the DS60 vibes (dejavu) where PMJ’s naivety was called to question and whether he’s up to the task of being in the President’s seat in the interim.

I remember that ground-breaking moment when Seo-hui was campaigning, and she threw away the speech they'd given her and spoke from the heart. (Also an echo of DS60, perversely!). This lady could still take it to a national level and become the face of a movement. The murdered reporter had hoped to make the big reveal through the press but surely having a passionate, uncorrupted rookie politician would be just the kick the nation needs to bring down the axe. (Understand that this hasn't exactly gone well in real life for S Korea, but ah well, we can dream a little).

On the forest sequence and Sang-hun's escape... It's certainly plausible for either of the JQ execs to be involved. But not a necessary condition? If you were Sang-hun and just had a hellish time getting out of the asylum... Then you were not just rebuffed by your trusted friend, but in serious fear that he would drag you back to Chairman Jeong... I wonder if you might flee straight to someone you felt certain was sympathetic - the grieving vet whom you had earlier helped. At the very least, for temporary shelter, and then maybe more. The tricky part is that, in his weakened state, not sure he could have gotten very far without either exec catching up. But you know, if Andy Dufresne could crawl through muck in The Shawshank Redemption to freedom... :sweatingbullets::lol:

9 hours ago, AC95 said:

Lots of cool analysis about Yeong-min up top, thanks all. While I'd hope he (eventually) is aligned with good, I'm not sure he is at the level of co-conspirator w/ Sang-hun. He appears to have been wrong-footed on many occasions, and he is also so bound up with the scandal that it will be hard to escape the eddies when Chairman Jeong is sucked down. Insider trading is a crime in S Korea as much as in any other functional capitalist economy, so hard for him to profit if the truth came out. Plus, JQ would be worth peanuts as the cost of reparation would force a fire sale of even their untainted businesses.

A lot might turn in the next pair of episodes, regardless, so really looking forward to his further character development. At current trajectory, he may be in for a kind of noble change-of-heart of sacrifice ending *cough fight to the death Vader/Palapatine style cough*  If they're going down the Stranger/Lee Chang-jun route it would be pretty satisfying.

@AC95 I too find it difficult for YM to survive the impending scandal. In reality, the CEO typically doesn’t go unscathed and related companies are bound to one another so if YM happens to have a master plan around it to keep his position and JQ intact, it will blow my mind.

I was delighted that you mentioned Forest of Secrets/Lee Chang Jun. I too would find it satisfying if YM ends up having a similar character development or twist (if you will). I’ve been hoping that his ultimate agenda is not presumably ambition/to take over JQ, but a conscience's decision to simply do the right thing to expose the evils of the chairman and take down JQ. It appears to me that YM has struggled with his past choices between his friends and the chairman so I would be pleasantly surprised if in fact, he silently remained by the chairman’s side to pick up where his friends left off and finish carrying out the ugly truth to the world.

However YM's character will be played out though, it's been really fascinating to watch him throughout. I’m impressed with the writer’s delivery of his persona as it seems we won’t truly get to the heart/core of YM until each layer of this onion his is fully peeled off.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, nrllee said:

Did he drive there?  I assume he did. There was no other way he could get there...unless BOTH he and YM conspired to catch SHoon and they drove off together?  I didn’t think they were that chummy.    

So maybe 712pm IDG drives to hospital (caught on CCTV). SHoon escapes 730pm. YM arrives to meet SHoon. SHoon runs. IDG shows up short time later at the forest.  He catches SHoon, pops him into the boot of his car, takes him to KPY?  Hand amputated.  He then drops his car off to scrapyard. KPY picks him up at 912 pm from the scrapyard?   Pure conjecture on my part.  I think that’s why IDG asked KPY where SHoon was (as if he expected KPY to know?).

I went back to watch and I don't know if IDK drove to the mental hospital, we were just shown that he emerged from the forest to the road where YM's car was.  Maybe IDK was picked up at the scrapyard by someone (KPY?) then went to the mental hospital.  IDK could then caught SH and had KPY butchered the hand then packaged it/dropped off across KMC.

@bebebisous33 @AC95  if YM's intention was to bring down JQ for a noble reason, his indifference toward CSH and Seo Hui's well being is still disturbing.  

I hoping that the appeal of public service grows on Seo Hui.  She shows lots of empathy and compassion for the residents whom she interviewed. If not political office to follow her father's footstep then maybe reporting :lol:

Happy birthday to him 

Archived