[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I had to wait to post this review because episode 15 was one long very sad goodbye. I have no more predictions about what will be. Everything is in place for whatever will happen next week. I thought we might come down to a last desperate choice. A choice that would have to happen even if the two halves of the flute were joined together. This is a show of symbols. Just too many clues pointed to that. The use of the color red symbolic of blood was sprinkled throughout almost every episode. LL worked with the color every time he was shown in a time stop; the color red as he worked in the dark room, the fact that LL was sprayed with red blood every time he killed someone. The connection of red and blood has also been a part of the visuals for the King as well. From the first episode where the boy king’s feet and clothes are covered in the red blood of his father on the night of treason to the blood red color on the clothes he wore for his court portrait. Even his epic battle with LL’s minions in Episode 12 when like LL he ends covered in blood. The stage has been set for blood to be the determining factor. I foolishly thought that because the blood of the king seeped into the flute when it was broken his blood would bind the flute to him. What I forgot is that LL’s blood also seeped into the flute so now both men are needed to set things right. Too much has happened for a simple joining of the two halves of the flute. “Our worlds have already gone so wrong. There are so many reasons to change the past and that is the only way.” So now we are at this last despite journeying towards the King’s destiny. He has said his goodbyes in two worlds. Clothed in the ceremonial outfit he wore when he said his final goodbye the day he told her how deeply he loved her when he gave her the forget me not flowers, our King is walking toward his destiny.  The old prince told him what would happen if he followed his fate. The King has accepted that “the footsteps “he” takes by risking “his” life is what is his fate.” To follow his destiny there is no other choice because there is “a place he needs to reach even at the risk of his life”.

JTE is also moving toward her destiny. She fought against her destiny and this moment but the time has come and she too must take “the footsteps “ that will fulfill her destiny. Luna will take her place in the world of the ROK. She has also said her goodbyes. Whatever happens she will face it with the man she loves because she has no other choice. Her destiny is tied to his. Whether they end up in the past on the day of treason or farther back in time, I hope they are together. I am not convinced we will get our happy ending now. Despite the symbolism of the flowers, seeds, promises and talk of other doors in the universe, the way ahead is clouded with death. Much of the symbolism is tied to resurrection and rebirth. It is hard to have a resurrection and rebirth without death.  I am not sure if that will feel like a happy ending to me but we shall see.

• Like 13
  • Sad 7
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Heilo said:

It seems like an upgrade to me. That golden horseshoe is shinning bright. @CallieP should pay a fine 

Punishment said horseshoe, no one said the color or that it could not be shiny yellow. My horseshoe is polished and shiny. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

27 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Why dose Lee Lim eat with LJH's mom? Am I the only one who thinks there is some sort of a thing going on perhaps one sided but still why would Lee Lim eat with that woman and make her cook for him and why would she be the only one eating with him

His plan was to keep her alive and use her to get to LG since she has the same face as his mom. But at the same time, use her to cook and taste all his food for poison. If multiple people did the cooking and there was poison, it would be harder to find out who did it.

• Like 10

19 hours ago, ms_inquiry said:

I cannot cope with LG allowing himself to be killed as a kid. No matter how they play it out. I cannot express in words how much I dislike the whole 'save young LG vs. the two worlds/all the people LL's killed' plot line. 

I know it is a bum. But remember what Yoyo KId said?  When the flute became whole inside the InBetweenPlace, they were taken to the same point in time.

* LR to save himself from the failing coup while

* LG to save both worlds from the traitor

This has always been the King's destiny.  Note that Yoyo Kid did not specify for LG to save himself.  Now I understand why he said "How selfish" during his last talk with OkNam.  At first that puzzled me - selfish? Who? What?  Then I realized that he was referring to himself initially thinking that saving his young self was his destiny. He did save himself but that did not prevent the worlds getting into turmoil.

That's why he has to go back and kill LR and he figured that killing LR - after the flute broke in two - would be best done while he was focused on killing his young self. 

I hope there is another way. Perhaps TE's plan of going back may put a wrench in the works and create that special out.  Or some benevolence from higher being, some special out inside the InBetweenPlace cos dang it The King has suffered SO much.

I just know & need for LG to be with his TE. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

What an episode 15.

I watched the subbed episode with a heavy heart. Cried my heart out, saw the preview for episode 16, caught up with the forum, before going to bed.

Wanted to comment on my thoughts but I've got nothing because

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=11662158

It just consumes you.

My optimism suddenly left me.

So now I'm awake.

I'll be throwing myself to the past again to catch up.

So I'm just gonna say what I feel last night after watching episode 15 and the preview before I go into the past. My apologies if some of my questions or comments have been answered  previously. I'll catch up soon but I just want to throw it out here on my own feelings and understanding without influence first.

* It was so unfair for LJH's mum to blame it on LG. But I'm glad she is clear minded that LG cannot replace her LJH and she did not even dream of replacing LG's mum.

* Where do I begin?

LG is going back to 1994 again.

He wants to kill LR before the flute is half?

So why did SJ say he will die?

Does he mean the present LG will be gone and the 1994 LG will grow up with no memories of saviour or will no longer be obsessed with finding JTE because there is no JTE ID and no more clues to lead him to JTE?

Or he mean LG will still die when LR die?

If it's the latter, that's a lousy noble idiocy and I will spit on it!

* JTE is entering the in between with LR so that the flute can become one and take them back to 1994.

So what will happen to JTE?

JTE will disappear?

JTE will be stuck in between?

JTE can't proceed to 1994?

Can't be right? I mean at the ending of episode 15, JY walked into the room and was shooting together with LG.

So what does that leave with our dear JTE?

Will she be the 3rd saviour?

If she's wandering aimlessly in the in between, meaning she won't age till LG come to her?

Because based on the spoiler photo, JTE didn't look aged when she saw LJH walked past her. So is this the JTE that we know or she has grown up with all the memories intact?

Because her photo did become fertilisers for the seeds in the in between... so could it have given immunity to our dear JTE and she can step in and out of ROK and KOC?

Oh gosh...

Now you understand why I was so drained and down after watching episode 15?

So much sadness. So much questions.

I hope I won't be disappointed in episode 16.

Now back to backtrack and I hope I will see some light to all my gloom as I hurry back to present. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, ponderings said:

The protests are peaceful...it's just that there are riots trying to distract people from protesting.

Yes! There's always something to learn and learning doesn't stop after graduating from school! Learning can happen in kdramas, like you say, and anywhere else! :) 

Hahaha love that you made a joke after understanding my philosophical thoughts and questions ;)  We were talking about MBTI personality. Here's the link to the old post. Hope you jogs your memory. My friend, you've just traveled with the flute, manpashikjeok haha.

In this world, we live on the opposite sides, and on the parallel world is this thread! Oh wowowow :D Did I sound a little bit nerdy like the king? haha

Hi just wanted to reach out and say thank you for your concern about us in the USA. It's a difficult time for many of us here. I am watching this show and hanging out here when I need a break from my real world. I love all the thoughtful theories and ideas. Love the playfulness. But under it all are some real life lessons. History is important, understanding it more so. Just wish a reset was possible in the real world.  ok  sorry to let the real world seep in but just wanted to say thanks

• Like 7
  • Love 3

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20200607

Woo Do-hwan is showing off his presence with his strong charm.

Woo Do-hwan, who plays Jo Eun-seop of the Republic of Korea and Jo Young of the Korean Empire in the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch," has emerged as a key player in the drama, showing off his sharp charisma, as well as his special chemistry with Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho), Jung Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun), and Kang Shin-jae (Kim Kyung-nam).

Woo Do-hwan's colorful facial expressions and vivid acting gave life to the drama until the end.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202006071129121253321_1

• Like 10
  • Love 6

7 minutes ago, lindas55 said:

Hi just wanted to reach out and say thank you for your concern about us in the USA. It's a difficult time for many of us here. I am watching this show and hanging out here when I need a break from my real world. I love all the thoughtful theories and ideas. Love the playfulness. But under it all are some real life lessons. History is important, understanding it more so. Just wish a reset was possible in the real world.  ok  sorry to let the real world seep in but just wanted to say thanks

Heres to hoping good times for you guys in North America. I am not currently following what is going on as I am located in scandinavia. TKEM came along in a time where I find myself in self-isolation even tho the lockdown is over here people are self-isolating for good reasons and the panic is still in peoples hearts due to covid19

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

No kidding, me too! Today’s episode was an emotional one.

I felt sad watching happy moments between LG and JTE because they weren’t exactly happy. 

I felt sad again when ES and JY hugged and promised to see each other again.

I felt sad again when SJ met his mother.

I felt sad again when pyeha and SJ talked by the pond.

I felt sad again when JTE spoke with Luna.

I felt sad again when JTE desperately begged SJ because she couldn’t bear the thought of losing LG. 

And I felt sad when pyeha revealed he’d known for awhile that lady noh was from Korea. He said he didn’t tell her because he didn’t want her to leave yet he’s leaving.

A very poignant episode indeed. 

Yes, ep 15 was epic :heart: love those emotional scenes.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

WDH will be doing his military service now correct? He posted a thank you on his IG :heart:

He's just thanking his horse for the last 2  years. He probably used the same horse for his past drama. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, SCSfanz said:

He's just thanking his horse for the last 2  years. He probably used the same horse for his past drama. 

Oh! That makes sense! I thought the translation may have been off.Thanks for clarifying!!!

• Like 5