[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

12 hours ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Pardon me if someone has already mentioned this. I'm still in the process of reading all the pages in this thread haha but I've always wanted to share this as it has been bugging me since I started noticing it :bawling:

Has anyone ever felt something odd about Jo Yeong? I mean I know people love him and gush over him (and I do too) but he seems.. off to me for a couple of reasons:

1. He is entirely different from the kid Jo Yeong introduced to us. Kid Jo Yeong was very bright and playful, while the adult Jo Yeong was just plain.. deadpan and stoic. I know we change personalities as we grow older, but this feels different. His hair is styled differently too from when he was a kid. But of course, that's not conclusive enough.

... however, here's what blows my mind a little: you know who has the same personality and same hairstyle as the Jo Yeong kid? Eun-sup from the other world. :) 

2. In episode 2 (or 3?) if you remember there was a scene where Jo Yeong borrowed the camera of Myeung Seung-Ah. He went through the pictures and saw one showing that Lee Lim - KoC's biggest traitor who has been believed to be dead for the past 25 years - was in the rowing competition. Jo Yeong's reaction? He stopped looking at the pics and asked Seung-Ah to send them to him via email. Never - as in NEVER - again did he mention about it. Considering that he's the head of the Royal Guards, he should have alerted the security team about it. THIS WAS LEE LIM. And he did nothing. I feel like, he knew something about it, and that he needed to somehow cover it up..

3. His hostile treatment towards JTE might probably be because of his duty to protect the King, but could it be something else? Could it probably be because JTE's presence in KoC could disrupt some kind of.. plan?

4. Fast forward episode 6.. he went back to the prison where the gangster boss is detained and asked him who Luna is from the pictures. When he pointed towards JTE, he slumped onto his chair and said, "my world just collapsed." Again, could it possibly be because Luna and JTE are major disruptions in a 'plan' that has been cooking.. well idk.. for like 25 years already?

I guess bottom line, my suspicion is that Jo Yeong has been switched by Lee Lim. I still cannot connect the dots on the 'how' it happened, but that's my theory. Maybe Eun Sup (the original Jo Yeong) was supposed to die (killed by Lee Lim or someone else) but somehow managed to survive. Or maybe he was planted by Lee Lim in the other family, I'm not yet sure. But my feelings are strong that these two have been switched and that Jo Yeong, the person Lee Gon trusts with his life, is on Lee Lim's side.

Two other tiny hints I got from the drama to support this:

1. When Lee Gon's father was about to be killed and he was held at gunpoint, he exclaimed to the Royal Guard helping Lee Lim at the time (the one who's still helping him now to build an army).. the former King said, "You???!!" with an incredulous face. Clearly, it was someone he trusted and didn't expect to betray him - maybe they were even close - so I'm guessing Lee Lim's tactic is to get to the high ranking Royal Guards and to the people very close to the King.

2. 2nd to the last scene episode 6: when Eun Sup and Lee Lim ran past each other, the shot slow-mo'd a bit, probably indicating that it was an important encounter. Why? Coz again maybe Eun Sup was supposed to be dead (presumed killed by Lee Lim), and that Lee Lim had no idea that he is still alive.

If this were true I swear I will hail KES's name forever :D

@Wanderer062287:  i saw your post earlier in the day and was dying to respond.  I'm glad I found it.  I love what you wrote. I really really hope Capt Jo will not betray Lee Gon.  That would totally crush Lee Gon.  In terms of the drama, it would be great, but man it would be painful, literally painful, to watch.  (But, my God, LMH would be fantastic; I'd cry buckets) I also wondered what happened to the cute Jo Yeong.  Yes, he has a very important job, but when he's alone with Lee Gon, I think he can loosen up a little.  But, my question, what would Jo Yeong have to gain?  Lee Rim could offer him a high position in his version of a kingdom, but I think Jo yeong has a pretty good position with Lee Gon.  The only downside is having to sacrifice himself if someone where to attack Lee Gon.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

A post on Weibo that you may find The King is actually good on both SBS and Netflix.

Terrestrial TV station (free) + Netflix = curse ?

3 (including The King) dramas followed this pattern. 

Spoiler

Vagabond  (SBS average rating 9.03    Netflix : none in TOP 10)
Hyena        (SBS average rating 10.6    Netflix : has been in TOP 10)
The King    (SBS average rating : not yet      Netflix : in TOP 3 by now, not only Netflix, but also TOP 1 on Wavve)

All of these 3 dramas were big cast, Vagabond was also huge investment. But the rating of these 3 seemed under expectation ?

When you can watch each drama at your favorite or convenient time, even binge watching, who will watch television ? Netflix absolutely is the enemy of TV rating. TV rating is not the only one indication of dramas' success.

ps. According to the investigation in England. VOD expanded substantially these years.

Spoiler

67889fa5gy1geh35nva7ej20v90r3dng.jpg

67889fa5gy1geh35n8645j20v90nnjzf.jpg

cr as tagged

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

So i rewatch episode 1-6 within the last 48 hours hehehehe Obsess much??? This is not a definite answer or theory, it's just my take from re watching.

1. There are theories going around regarding JTE mom and how Luna might be her mom. In the Flashback scene to JTE in high school confronting her dad about not accepting eggs for Taekwondo payment, they showed the family pictures with the Mother in it and she was a different actress (not KGE), so she doesn't look identical to JTE.

2. DNA debacles, so my take is that it's either JTE and LG finger Print/DNA didn't match their counter part is because LG counter part died as a kid and JTE counterpart is criminal with no identity OR...the show is trying to tell us that the DNA/fingerprint of the people between two worlds are not supposed to match, hence they are telling us through both LG and JTE scene of getting theirs check and no matching result. But how about Lee Rim? remember the flashback scene when Jo Yeoung talk to LG as he examined Lee Rim autopsy report and he was wondering what has been added to him/the body that the DNA matched? I think it's what it is, something has been added to the counterpart body that's why it match. The show is really emphasizing on "what's been added" and the talk where LG explained the meaning of "+" sign.

3. Also Kingdom of Corea being the main exporter of "rare earth element" is being mentioned quite a bit. First during PM meeting with the cabinet in Episode 2 i believe, and then, When Lee rim came back from Corea to Korea and the scene where he was in the car (Ep 3) with his Driver who has Doppleganger in Corea and both are alive. In that Scene the driver asked about his doppelgänger whether he is better than Him and LR told him that His Doppel runs a book store and wanted him to give him this book (Handed the drive a book a bout rare earth element). Also, when Tae Eul exploring Busan and bumped into a girl on the street and ask about rare element and she said that The King owns a large portion of it, basically making Kingdom of Corea 4th in GDP. also mention 1 or 2 other times. I think Lee Rim also eyeing for that rare element. 

4. Regarding JY and ES while the possibility of being switched is there,  but i don't see it, because i think they would remember each other, no? Unless.. Lee rim made them lost some part of their memories or something.

5. Shin Jae the Saviour. While i think that Shin Jae is an important character, i don't think he will save Lee Gon, my biggest instinct is LG saved Himself. For the writer to make Shin Jae save Lee Gon is really elevating his character, and while i think he has an important role here, i don't it will be saving Lee Gon. Other than Lee Gon, Jo Yeong would be the other character that makes sense on saving Lee Gon. My Bet is still LG turn back time and save himself.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 7

Here's the character profile of Luna

qRAKYiv.png

Kim Go-eun

Luna (30 years old, criminal)  

She was abandoned in the lowest neighborhood of the city where the emperor lived. No parents, no family register, of course, had no ID. From the moment she spoke and walked, she found food for herself and found a place to sleep. Her instincts needed to be strong. She had the guts to retaliate two to three times whatever she received. She engaged in theft, assault, forgery of documents and trespassing, which ironically, gave her a record and made her exist in the world. As she was locked up in prison, her identity was created. She named herself, "Luna," after the name of the longest-living street cat in the lowest neighborhood. 

What happens if you give greater misfortune to those who are used to it? Luna, who has full of energy, can't believe upon knowing that she only has three months to live due to cancer. Her parents, whose faces she doesn't even know, left cancer as their only legacy. She has never believed in God, but after a man approached her both like the darkness and the light, she learns to believe. The god's name was Lee Rim.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/theking/cast/63972#0_7

https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

• Like 9
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 5

https://twitter.com/rontin99/status/1257508077521309698?s=20

Another interesting observation :ph34r:

They're everywhere!!! Reminds me of the 'observers' in an old sci-fi TV series - "Fringe." For a veeeery long time they just lingered on earth to 'observe,' appearing on random pictures of weird events etc. But when the time came they started mobilizing their plan to invade earth. Hmmmhmhmhmmmm

The premise of Fringe btw is also parallel universes, but it's more of a hardcore sci-fi than fantasy. It was my first exposure to parallel universes, and man was I blown away. You can also check it out :)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

# am I the only one thinking this :phew:

Nope you are not the only one. And i know this has been said in this thread few times, but i'm gonna say it again. I love that Lee Gon doesn't give a s*^t what others think when it comes to JTE.

Watching Ep 6 Again cause im just loving their sweet moments. if this trend continue, The King might get to Netflix US top 10 just from me rewatching heheh....

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

28 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Luna, who has full of energy, can't believe upon knowing that she only has three months to live due to cancer. Her parents, whose faces she doesn't even know, left cancer as their only legacy. She has never believed in God, but after a man approached her both like the darkness and the light, she learns to believe. The god's name was Lee Rim.

If Luna’s cancer is from genetics, is that mean JTE should also has cancer as well? They have the same parent(in both world but just live with different name) and JTE mother also died because of cancer. 
Can’t wait to see her interact with LR. I really like this evil psychopath villain LOL what a badass character.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

40 minutes ago, syntyche said:

She has never believed in God, but after a man approached her both like the darkness and the light, she learns to believe. The god's name was Lee Rim.

Would this mean that LR has planned this from the very start? Then did Luna lure LG for him to find JTE? How can this benefit LR? Isn't it better for LR if LG is not aware about the parallel world? I have this theory that Luna is not bad. I really hope not.

• Like 3

Lee Rim Character Profile

received_707782216659825.jpeg?resize=102

Lee Jung Jin
Lee Rim (69 years old)

He is the half brother of Emperor Sun Hwang-je and uncle of Lee Gon. His mother died before becoming an empress and was posthumously honored. He is the first son, but was removed from the line of succession when he was 13 years old for being a bastard. Lee Gon's father, Sun Hwang-je, eventually became emperor and had possession of the Manpasikjeok (flute). With the Manpasikjeok, the emperor had the world in his hands, and yet he did not do anything. He did not even know that the Manpasikjeok in his hands would bring the world to him. To be exact, two different worlds. 

Lee Rim's anger eventually became a concrete plan. One night, in an act of treason, he assassinated the emperor and strangled his young nephew with the flute in his hands. The Manpasikjeok was broken in two. He ran away with half of the Manpasikjeok, reached the Great Forest, and the door of dimension opened to the parallel world. 

It is wrong to say that God created man. Man made God. He asked the humans, would you change your life? Humans change their eyes with greed. Lee Rim decided to pierce through the greed of those insignificant human beings and transcend into a mightier being. He must seize the other half of the Manpasikjeok from Lee Gon's hands and become the god of the two worlds.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/theking/cast/63972#0_6

https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, graceyco said:

Hahah I'm not super sure about this but let's take this with a little skepticism but then...another account posted another picture with very obvious hashtags so I'm not reallt sure. But then again, there are a lot of mentions of a royal wedding/queen in the show so I wouldn't be surprised. We'll definitely swoon over it if that time comes! Check below.

Oh... I saw the IG. I thought there's a picture of them doing some pictorial or something. Lol. Okay. We all know that this is just a wild guess. Nothing can be true until it really happens right. But some spreading these good news is fun. Hahaha. Well, I take it with a pinch of salt. 

In few pages back I saw one of the posters shared the photoshop of their royal wedding. Lol. They look good with those royal robe of king and queen. Oh... writer, if u happens to read this message, we never see oppa doing wedding scene before, just this once grant that wish please!  

• Like 3

On 4/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, J13 said:

I also wonder what LG’s mum has done after her husband and child passed away because the evil uncle wouldn’t have let her live for nothing and I wonder if she will end up helping LG.

Ohhhh maybe the reason why Lee Lim has been keeping Ji Hun's mom alive after all these years is because he'll probably use her to lure LG in some way? Since (I think) his mom in the KoC has never been introduced and is most likely dead?

• Like 1

Its good to see the king on top6 in India. I think there is any other drama comes top 10 in india. And this drama for those who really like think and interprete the scences of  a show, no spoon feeding.i really enjoying the show and all the theories. May be bcoz i am  a  science guy

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

When you can watch each drama at your favorite or convenient time, even binge watching, who will watch television ? Netflix absolutely is the enemy of TV rating. TV rating is not the only one indication of dramas' success.

Jokes: We can watch Netflix on our TV. So people still watch television. Lololol. 

Spoiler

Yeah. Don't be so bad about the tv rating. They're still good. It's still average. The King still has chances. 10 episodes more. It can turn up the tables if it's lucky. But if it's not it doesn't mean it's a flop either. As I said rating is not the authentic measurement that measure the success of a drama. Plus, I saw a glimpse and read some short review about that so called high rating drama at the moment. It is not that great imo. Well, people have different taste and view. So I will just stop here. 

And I am amazed to those who can find some similar flowers by just looking at the seed flower cover. The guess looks pretty similar to it. And I like the Korean's meaning of its name that means it represent the longing of these two who across through parallel world. 

7 hours ago, syntyche said:

Luna, who has full of energy, can't believe upon knowing that she only has three months to live due to cancer. Her parents, whose faces she doesn't even know, left cancer as their only legacy. She has never believed in God, but after a man approached her both like the darkness and the light, she learns to believe. The god's name was Lee Rim.

I've been looking for this before. I went to see it in the first page few days ago but found none. So here are the base idea which lead those predictions. 

I guess if she really becomes LR's minion and all the things she's done to bait LG is because of LR's order, part of his evil plan. Then I wonder what offers he has offered as return for her. A new life where she can be healthy or he made her feel debted on him for saving her out of her lowest place. Reading her having so much misfortunes like that is pretty upsetting. I guess that could be a reason he could persuade her to work for him. But well character description is just an early set up for them right. As the writer hasn't stopped writing the script. Things will always be changed during the journey. So let's see then. 

• Like 4

#Repost @isii_ken IG

ZZGOqBw.jpg

ceb0PVK.jpg

nZQVEcz.jpg

Spoiler

a3tCoMG.jpg

The next one...is just for fun, no harm intended B)

Spoiler

h0ycKh2.jpg

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 4
  • LOL 6