[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

19 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Ahh...Lee Rim hasn' t aged from 1994 he is supposed to be 70, of LUNA has cancer and is JTE's mother ..can there be a possibiltity that She hasn't aged as well?....:blink:

If LR’s offer is to prolong her life, there can be a possibility that Luna is his only minion who is allowed to go to ROK and her age remain the same while traveling between 2 worlds. But still, it doesn’t make any sense why LR want LG to cross the portal at the first place. LR didn’t know that LG can cross the portal too, so I think it’s not his plan to use Luna as a decoy leading LG to ROK.

According to Luna character description, I guess she just found out about the diagnosis. So I think she didn’t work for LR for that long. 

But it would be so interesting if Luna is JTE future self (which I think it’s impossible& a bit too complicate).

• Like 3
  • Naughty 1

I was checking out Netflix earlier on iPad and I noticed one of the photos they used for the show's landing page is a shot of Lee rim in a suit, his hand holding out a glass pouring with blood (?  or something red in it).  I wonder when this scene will appear (possibly next episode?) and what it means.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aidanelle said:

Just my humble opinion...

Luna cannot be JTE's mom, due to the following family photo in a scene from Episode 2 :ph34r:

Lol. Totally did not see that pic in the drama hahaha.

So the theory that Luna is JTE's mum is busted :lol:

I still feel there are two versions of Gon. Rule of kdramaland, no dead body = not dead. Evil Uncle might have raised Korea Gon to become a druglord or a gangster overlord in Korea. That's how uncle is rich. 

Anyways. What do you guys think about Noh? I think it would be a great plot twist if Noh is comploting with the evil people, or she herself is a doppelganger. She seems on Gon's side, but it's shady that the ID card went missing under her nose. Unless there is some serious blackmagic going on to make stuff dissappear. Huuu~~~

2 minutes ago, gwin said:

I was checking out Netflix earlier on iPad and I noticed one of the photos they used for the show's landing page is a shot of Lee rim in a suit, his hand holding out a glass pouring with blood (?  or something red in it).  I wonder when this scene will appear (possibly next episode?) and what it means.

@gwin any way for you to capture it?? :hushed:

4 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Anyways. What do you guys think about Noh? I think it would be a great plot twist if Noh is comploting with the evil people, or she herself is a doppelganger. She seems on Gon's side, but it's shady that the ID card went missing under her nose. Unless there is some serious blackmagic going on to make stuff dissappear. Huuu~~~

I don't think so. I think the doppelganger of Lady Noh is the poet of the book LG got from RoK before he left the first time. The voice of  a woman reading the poem was of Lady Noh's. 

And I don't think LG is dense or not smart enough for him not to realize that his favourite court lady was swapped. What do you think? 

Anyway, not sure if this has been posted already, but I know lots of us here have this particular scene as one of our favorites.

I just realized the reason why the secretary and YJ was shocked when LG offered his hand to JTE. It is because LG hates anyone touching him yet he did not mind offering his hand to JTE at all. This only shows how much he likes and trust JTE. How cute!

• Like 6
  • Love 5

20 hours ago, LRM11219311 said:

Can someone explain to me why was LG trying to chase luna in the first episode? 

INSTINCT...I guess. He was curious what would have happened, if he follow Luna who is symbolic of the white rabbit (due to the ears of the hoodie Luna stole) :ph34r:

W48nI9m.png

3Unx61X.png

EaET2na.png

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, DramaAddicted said:

If LR’s offer is to prolong her life, there can be a possibility that Luna is his only minion who is allowed to go to ROK and her age remain the same while traveling between 2 worlds. But still, it doesn’t make any sense why LR want LG to cross the portal at the first place. LR didn’t know that LG can cross the portal too, so I think it’s not his plan to use Luna as a decoy leading LG to ROK.

According to Luna character description, I guess she just found out about the diagnosis. So I think she didn’t work for LR for that long. 

But it would be so interesting if Luna is JTE future self (which I think it’s impossible& a bit too complicate).

She has every reason to hate Lee Gon as she was poor and abandoned in MOC. Since Lee Gon is a representative of this country, she resents him for her situation. 

And it makes sense why Lee Rim wants him in ROK... because he is not surrounded by his guards there. He went on his own twice. Remember that he said that he knew no one in ROK except JTE. Furthermore, if he dies there, nobody can be prosecuted for his murder as he doesn't exist in this world. He has no ID as his surrogate is already dead. Lee Gon has already realized that he was tricked by Lee Rim and he is already imagining that Lee Rim could replace him with his doppelganger from ROK. In my opinion, that's why he takes JY the next time and asks him to shoot. He needs to ensure that the doppelganger doesn't take his place... DNA and fingerprint can not help in this case. 

• Like 12
  • Insightful 4

Kang Shin Jae Character Profile

received_2484843205099089.jpeg?resize=10

When Kang Shin Jae was young, he lived in quite a good home. He had an affectionate father who ran a small business, and an attentive mother who was a full-time housewife. However, he was in the 3rd year of middle school when his father got arrested for embezzlement. Shin Jae’s nightmare started again from that time. When him and his mother moved to a small room, they immediately fell to the bottom and became poor. Even when he tried to awaken from this nightmare, he woke up in another one. Shin Jae did not feel he belonged in his school or even in his house. He spent his first two years in high school as a bastard who “uses his fist”.

There was always a single question in his heart. ‘Who am I?’ This thought ran endlessly that it confused himself as well. In the end, Shinjae was a ‘son’ since his mother called him ‘son’, ‘Shinjae Kang’ since his friends called him ‘Hey, Shinjae Kang!’, and ‘No. 5’ since his teacher called him ‘No. 5’ when taking the class attendance. Among all these, he liked being called ‘Detective Kang’ the most. If ever, someone who has caused this nightmare would ask him ‘Who are you?’, he hopes that, instead of a bare fist, he was holding a gun. He would either shoot him or be shot by himself.

Being a detective seemed to matched well with his aptitude. It didn’t matter whether his opponent was a Taekwondo gym owner’s child, a serial murderer, or someone from Team 3 of the Violent Crimes Unit who he has shared grief and happiness with, Shinjae has always been unbiased, level-headed, persistent, and gruff. Because of this, the overnight work of the Team 3 of the Violent Crimes Unit have doubled, as well as the time for police ambush, and organizing data for investigation. As such, he got promoted faster than what is usual for a police officer.

The police station was a more comfortable place for Shinjae than his home, and he considered Team 3 as his family. That’s why it makes him curious - for Taeul, whether he is a colleague or a part of her family. If not, a stranger of the opposite sex, Shinjae also knows. A stare with affection to someone of the opposite sex. Yet, Taeul doesn’t seem to look at him that way. To Shinjae who lives in a seemingly endless nightmare, Taeul is a beautiful ‘dream’ that he wishes to dream of every single night.

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/theking/cast/63972#0_4

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

She has every reason to hate Lee Gon as she was poor and abandoned in MOC. Since Lee Gon is a representative of this country, she resents him for her situation. 

And it makes sense why Lee Rim wants him in ROK... because he is not surrounded by his guards there. He went on his own twice. Remember that he said that he knew no one in ROK except JTE. Furthermore, if he dies there, nobody can be prosecuted for his murder as he doesn't exist in this world. He has no ID as his surrogate is already dead. Lee Gon has already realized that he was tricked by Lee Rim and he is already imagining that Lee Rim could replace him with his doppelganger from ROK. In my opinion, that's why he takes JY the next time and asks him to shoot. He needs to ensure that the doppelganger doesn't take his place... DNA and fingerprint can not help in this case. 

Wow. You have a very good point here. But if the LG of RoK is not really dead and is trained by LR to be swapped as the King, how can LR become the god of the two worlds? 

On a lighter note, do you also notice how the director and the writer convey the parallel world between LG and JTE? Most of their scenes together is facing each other, as if there is a wall between them. It is really impressive that every single detail in  the drama has meaning.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, katakwasabi said:

Lol!!!! Great question. Maybe it could. The flute was so easy to cut :lol:

Theory time~~~

I read a thoery on DB that Luna might be JTE's mum, because JTE said she looks exactly like her mum. Luna has only 3 months to live due to cancer. We were never told how JTE's mum died in Korea, it could also be due to cancer too. This could also explain why JTE fingerprints did not have a match in Corea, specifically Luna, since they are different people and not doppelgangers. I like this theory and feel this theory is possible.

I like this theory.

Mummy sure can run.

:D

But I hope if she is really mummy, then she will do whatever it takes to protect JTE from her "god".

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Heretorant said:

My interpretation, he failed once and was able to turn back time to 1994 and redo it, which started the loop. Each time he fails, he keeps turning back time so he continues to be stuck in this loop. My understanding is there is no other Lee Gon. He is the same person but there seems to be a reset button where he gets to do it all over again until it is right. Once he succeeds, the loop breaks and time can continue forward. 

Thanks a lot for the clarify! you shed light on my slow-mind :lol:

so basically, this is the time loop already right? and it means he somehow learn the shooting skill (because we know if he does not fake it the current Lee Gon is not well at shooting) 

and is it me or when I keep watching the scene of ID tag in 1994, it seems the Kid-Lee Gon grabbed it by himself not that the savior dropped it on purpose. 

i wonder if there is already time loop before, did the ID tag also left at the conspiracy scene? or only this time and this will be the variable which makes the difference in the loop?

but again, imagining previous-failed-time-loop Lee Gon  grows up without the ID tag of Tae Eul is hard and kinda impossible right? he would not be aware that his savior holds an irregular identity, and may think the savior is someone who live on the same world. let's say even Luna may lead him to the parallel gate and meet Tae Eul, he will not easily to fall in love with her either (as he has no idea who is this girl)

personally i quite like this theory (the most- among 1001 theories here hehe), but my mind just cannot handle this combo time lopp + time travel + parallel universe lmao

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

24 minutes ago, mamabear said:

Wow. You have a very good point here. But if the LG of RoK is not really dead and is trained by LR to be swapped as the King, how can LR become the god of the two worlds? 

On a lighter note, do you also notice how the director and the writer convey the parallel world between LG and JTE? Most of their scenes together is facing each other, as if there is a wall between them. It is really impressive that every single detail in  the drama has meaning.

No, he is really dead. Lee Rim would never use a puppet as he wants the power for himself. There is a reason why he approached poor people from both societies: they are all weak. And remember what he said to his brother the king before killing him. Gods didn't create humans but humans create gods, especially weak people. In order to become a god, he needs weak people since in his reasoning, only weak people create gods. His ultimate goal is to become a god in the eyes of people.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3

Lee Min Ho & Kim Go Eun Have A Bitter Departing And A Sweet Reunion In Episode 6 Of “The King: Eternal Monarch”

EPISODE 6 DELIGHTED AUDIENCES AS LEE MIN HO AND KIM GO EUN’S CHARACTERS CONFIRM THEIR FEELINGS FOR ONE ANOTHER IN EPISODE 6 OF THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH!

The chemistry between the two lead characters of The King: Eternal Monarch, is only increasing in episode six of the popular Netflix series. Following the excitement of episode five, in which Kim Go Eun’s character Jung Tae Eul embarks on a journey into the parallel universe, episode six deals with the consequences. It also investigates the tender relationship beginning between its main characters following their kiss in the last episode.

THE LOVE TRIANGLE BEGINS

Starting where the last episode ended, Jung Tae Eul and Lee Gon’s conversation is interrupted by Goo Seu Ryeong’s surprise arrival. The meeting is certainly awkward–to Goo Seu Ryeong’s dismay, it is obvious that Lee Gon is enthralled by Jung Tae Eul. He smiles at her in a way he has never done for Goo Seu Ryeong, despite her best efforts.

Jung Tae Eul attempts to ward off suspicion by stating she is a big fan of Prime Minister Goo Seu Ryeong. Instead of offering her name, she provides a simple explanation that she is just a traveller. Refusing to leave the couple, Goo Seu Ryeong witnesses Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul enter the building together. Their casual intimacy both angers and worries Goo Seu Ryeong.

GROWING CLOSER

This episode is a milestone for the relationship between Jung Tae Eul and Lee Gon. After Lee Gon accesses Jung Tae Eul’s search history on his phone, he finds out she is curious about his past relationships. He grins cheekily as Jung Tae Eul reluctantly begins to be more honest regarding her feelings for him. The two share sweet moments in Lee Gon’s home, as he opens up to her about his violent childhood.

37511726.jpg

SEPARATED ONCE MORE

The lovestruck couple must part ways once again. Jung Tae Eul understands she cannot stay forever and must return to her own world. Their departure is sped up due to Japan’s surprise invasion into Corea’s oceans, forcing Lee Gon to take part in the naval defence of his country.

Lee Gon charms viewers as he tenderly asks Jung Tae Eul, “Will you wait for me?” Implying that he will come to visit her in her world, Jung Tae Eul softly agrees.

eternal-monarch4.jpg

REVELATIONS

Episode six was a milestone not only for the main leads’ relationship but also due to the many revelations made in the episode.

ANOTHER LOVE INTEREST?

The history between Jung Tae Eul and Detective Kang Shin Jae is explored. Shin Jae reminisces on their past. Viewers witness Jung Tae Eul saving him from getting beaten up.

She invites him to study taekwondo. We continue to suspect that Shin Jae’s feelings towards Jung Tae Eul will pose a challenge to Lee Gon.

JUNG TAE EUL AND LUNA

Though the show has made various hints to audiences so far, it was finally confirmed this episode that Jung Tae Eul and Luna are the same people. Well, the same people living in two different dimensions.

This brings up even more mystery surrounding Jung Tae Eul’s connection to Lee Gon’s universe. Moreover, this makes us wonder the main question: What role Luna would play in both worlds?

OTHER TIME TRAVELLERS

Back in her own world, Jung Tae Eul ponders her current murder case from work. She listens to the puzzling phone evidence she has. She realizes that the news segments recorded are not from this world.

They are instead from Lee Gon’s dimension. There must be another time-traveller. While this is a shock for her, this is not news for the audiences. We wonder how soon our main protagonists will encounter the villainous traveller, Lee Rim.

REUNITED ONCE MORE

The lovers separated by dimensions are reunited once again. Lee Gon visits Jung Tae Eul as promised and the two embrace. Viewers realize that despite all challenges, Lee Gon is committed to keeping Jung Tae Eul in his life.

However, challenging their budding romance is his realization that while she may not be a danger to his life, he is starting to risk hers.

UP NEXT:

You can expect to see a lot more tension in episode seven. The characters investigate further into the details surrounding the mysterious Luna. Additionally, identical Jo Eun Seop and Jo Young are set to meet each other for the first time in what will surely be a hilarious event!

https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/the-king-eternal-monarch-episode-6-recap/

• Like 6

On 5/2/2020 at 5:12 AM, bebebisous33 said:

I can understand why we were all confused about Shin Jae but it was a deliberate move from the writer and director. We were shown Shin Jae the cop visiting his old neighborhood. It only became clear while listening to the conversation with the psychiatrist. I do think that Shin Jae will play a huge part, as I am wondering if there is a doppelganger of Shin Jae. So far, we didn't see him and this could be a clue that Shin Jae from Rep. Korea who was supposed to replace Shin Jae from Mon. Corea could have died back then.

The producers did say he will be a "secret weapon".  Am also thinking that the Four Tiger Sword will be crucial in defeating the diabolical plan of LR - the devil.  Just like in a chess game, you have the King - LG, Queen - TE, Bishop or Knight - JY or SJ -- the Four Tigers of the Sword?  Once they are in place, as in the King is ready to wield the sword, LR is checked-mate.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

11 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, he is really dead. Lee Rim would never use a puppet as he wants the power for himself. There is a reason why he approached poor people from both societies: they are all weak. And remember what he said to his brother the king before killing him. Gods didn't create humans but humans create gods, especially weak people. In order to become a god, he needs weak people since in his reasoning, only weak people create gods. His ultimate goal is to become a god in the eyes of people.

Now I get it, sorry I misunderstood this part "Lee Gon has already realized that he was tricked by Lee Rim and he is already imagining that Lee Rim could replace him with his doppelganger from ROK". You were just talking about what LG might have been thinking and not about what you think LR's actual plan is. I agree with you here, since LG thought first that he did not have an RoK version of himself, this is possible. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

The producers did say he will be a "secret weapon".  Am also thinking that the Four Tiger Sword will be crucial in defeating the diabolical plan of LR - the devil.  Just like in a chess game, you have the King - LG, Queen - TE, Bishop or Knight - JY or SJ -- the Four Tigers of the Sword?  Once they are in place, as in the King is ready to wield the sword, LR is checked-mate.

I like your analogy. But there is the rook in a chess game which means we should add someone else too. Then we have the Prime Minister. Where is she? Does she belong to LG's team or will she become LR's queen due to her ambition? There is nothing sure about her. Sure, she has revealed different flaws but coincidently qualities as well (see her behavior during the conflict with Japan).

Thus we have to assume that Lee Rim has his own rook, bishop, knight and queen as well.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

14 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Am also thinking that the Four Tiger Sword will be crucial in defeating the diabolical plan of LR - the devil

It has to be. LG was shown holding the sword at the beginning of Episode 1 at the bamboo forest. I believe they will not show the sword numerous times if it does not hold any significant meaning. I also saw a video in IG of TKEM filming with LG and his guards. They are fighting against LR's men (I assume). LG is fighting using the sword in that video.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

36 minutes ago, mamabear said:

Now I get it, sorry I misunderstood this part "Lee Gon has already realized that he was tricked by Lee Rim and he is already imagining that Lee Rim could replace him with his doppelganger from ROK". You were just talking about what LG might have been thinking and not about what you think LR's actual plan is. I agree with you here, since LG thought first that he did not have an RoK version of himself, this is possible. 

I think initially LG knew that doppleganger ROK LG is nowhere , neither are his parents or maybe aren't registered, I mean he KNOWS every doppleganger is available  due to Eunsop and JY initially.

But now he suspects that doppleganger LG is now in KOC due to LR being alive suspicion.

BTW You can Take screenshots from updated version of NETFLIX in certain phone models atleast. :D

@gwinmentioned earlier about new Netflix Pic of LR holding a cup here it is.

Spoiler

IMG-20200505-161706.jpg

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2