[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

MDC: In a week from now ...
MDC: we can do anything and live like normal people.
GMR: Are you ok now?
MDC: Yes
MDC: I'm not sick at all
NHY: When I come back later, I hope we can become friends.
MDC: We have to catch this moron
MDC: This was an assassination attempt
GMR: I can't let this happen to you
GMR: Because I love you more
MDC: Hey, Go Mi Ran

I'm waiting  :crazy:

Lee Moo-saeng, :grin:

the second movie I see him

I'm impressed

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

Sorry folks! Just jumping in to say:

AGREE with stroppyse

While I kinda enjoyed the drama (and Ji Chang-wook and Won Jin-A eye candy along the ride was main feature for tuning in, as well as the beautiful OSTs) ... it was really a  'just park the brains' and don't think too much' kinda ride. It's not a meaningful kind of drama, it has abrupt plot insertions and absurd let down moments (like afterall the machinations  on his part - it was so easy to just nab the fake brother). Nor does it really tug at heartstrings nor make you ponder more. Or even warrant a re-watch (nor recommendation). It's like almost a few writers, writing bits and pieces and then putting it together like an incoherent jigsaw s'times. But a jigsaw makes sense, while this one doesn't really.

* Possible Spoilers*

- plot is kind of incredulous, and all over the place throughout. it's like plot insertions added whenever necc - including eps 15 and 16

- the experiment lab ... is just well stupid and ancient in set-up. they don't even have double screens with all that data =  just those 2 computers?

- whatever happened to the killer after all the hoo-ha in ep 15 ... and why on earth would any killer need to diligently execute his mission when whoever is directing the order is now powerless behind bars (forever powerless too - his brother has been restored to rightful Chaebol CEO position)

- and sorry - not being offensive, I wished it was better too bec I invested 16 episodes of time every wkend ... but what a lame ending.

Thankfully, it has beautiful OSTs.

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 17 November Episode 16 Finale:

Nielsen Korea: 2.282%* National (+ .85%); 2.407%* Seoul (N/A)
TNMS:  2.3%* (+.90)

*2nd place for all rating levels in its pay-cable category for 17 November!

Phew.  I was praying HARD for the show to finish above 2%.  SO HARD.  So MMS ends up with a 2.15% average for Nielsen Korea and 2.16% for TNMS.  *sigh*

Well... it was a mediocre finale for me. I am sad that what started as a great fun drama ended without a punch. Ep.16 was very draggy for me. I was excited when the episode title said "Melting Me Softly". It's good to know that writer had the episodes planned out to have such final episode. However, I was disappointed that almost half of the episode is spent moping and waiting aimlessly (fillers and fillers). The scenes at the lab were poorly done. Too many researchers and seems like their main job is to move around the lab (to show being busy?). Please, we're not at a mall or a public park. Had to laugh that one female researcher's job was clearly just walking around the room.

My main reason of watching this drama is the OTP interaction, so 45 minutes without them being together felt too long for me, not to mention having to watch the last 15 minutes of them together dealing with "noble (idiocy)" idea of pursuing a dream by the female lead thus delaying marriage. The issue too was solved rather too lame, in my opinion. YouTube? lol... The diary writing was great, but the reading was again disappointing since nothing new was revealed, only a repeat of what we've seen. I was hoping to hear a new entry that was totally heartening and heartwarming. Something that will totally melt the heart of GMR to put being with (read: marrying) MDC a priority.

A part of me can't help to wonder if the finale would have been different (ie.more enjoyable/unexpected/surprising) had the initial slapstick tone of the drama was not totally changed because of the so many complains by viewers. Seems like the writer(s?) was just playing it safe towards the end... sigh...

Thanks @stroppyse for the spoiler because I caught some bits of the raw version and am not sure if I wanna watch the subbed (update: watched and it's not as bad as ep 15). Thanks also to @cherkell for reporting the ratings so faithfully. Am very glad too that the final episode finished above 2%. That was definitely no easy feat!

I started out liking this drama...the 1st few episodes were quite fun to watch but when they changed tracked and melo-ed, it became really weird. The tone was so inconsistent that I ended up liking some episodes and hating others. Eg. I hate ep 12, love ep 13, hate ep 14, hate ep 15, don't mind ep 16 except for the lame ending. The OTP interactions were sweet one moment, then cringey the next.

I suspect the writing changed to suit the comments but it turned out really awful. It was really painful to watch when we hit Ep 15. Honestly, I think the cast did a good job to maintain rating above 1% all this while cos even though it was not great, anything above 1% is considered a pass for cable right (at least from what I've read)? 

Sigh.In watching the drama, I felt there were many potential to bring out meaningful issues but those were all glossed over or suddenly, the scene would change or the mood would turn comedic at the wrong time. And because of that, I kept watching every serious scene incredulously, wondering if they were just kidding around.

Well, hope JCW will take on a better project next. I think nobody was expecting this turnout given the track record of the writer and the director. Meanwhile, waiting for his China project (My Male God) to be aired next year. I think that one may be cute. I have a penchant for C-dramas these days. I think with most rom-coms, they do get certain things right so even if the plot is cheesy, you can't help but watch.

Btw, for those who have not watched Whirlwind Girl 2, even though it wasn't great, honestly, it wasn't half as bad as this (at least the tone was consistent). It was watchable till maybe the last episode or 2. So if you can bear MMS and miss JCW, you can give that one a try. :P

11 hours ago, jus-ash said:

- whatever happened to the killer after all the hoo-ha in ep 15 ... and why on earth would any killer need to diligently execute his mission when whoever is directing the order is now powerless behind bars (forever powerless too - his brother has been restored to rightful Chaebol CEO position)

I didn't keep up with what happened to the killer. But he was on mission to kill both MDC and KMR cos he can only get his money if he kills them. Think that was in Ep 15?

13 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Ep 16  3 Year Time Jump. A mini recap of the final episode in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

MR has been frozen for 3 years while the doctors try to find a cure for MR's condition that doesn't take 5 days and side effects to restore her body temperature so that she can safely get the surgery to fix the trauma from the knife wound.

MR's friend had married HG (DC's junior director), but is now dissatisfied with her marriage. BS has lost his position at the university because they found out that he had been coming onto a female student; however, the student that they name is MR. BS apparently tells them that she's his first love, not his student, and calls his ex-wife to give witness to the university. His wife just tells him that if she talks to them, she'll tell them how BS stalked his student, even moving into the student's family's home. LOL.

DC has moved into MR's house to be with her family until she wakes up. It's both so that DC can get comfort from MR's family, but also so that he can comfort them as well. Even though MR's mother tells him that he should go home, DC tells her that his mother has two other children and their families, but that he wants to be with MR's family. DC tells his own family that he will move back in after he's married, and that's why he's bought their family the bigger house to move into.

As DC waits, he keeps finding evidence of MR's love for him.

HY had gone to the US to work, and only come back after 3 years. She had taken a 2 year contract, but had extended it for another year. Her younger sibling lived in her Seoul apartment while she was away. It turns out that the Associate Doctor who works with Prof. Hwang had moved into the same apartment complex as HY, so they have a moment to themselves. HY tells him that she's prayed for MR to wake up every day.

Prof Hwang figures out a possible cure to the body temperature problem, but is worried that there might be complications when she wakes up. DC says that MR is someone who would have wanted to wake up and deal with reality.  So, they take MR into the surgery to sew up the knife trauma. The surgery was a success, but MR has difficulty waking up from the anesthesia and remains in a coma. MR's core temperature starts going down at one point, putting her in crisis again.

MR's mother decides that DC has to go home because he's done as much as he could, and he should really go home and live his own life. DC walks in while she's packing his bag to say that he has to stay or else MR would be upset with him when she wakes up. He begs her to not keep trying to chase him away. (I understand that MR's mother is thinking of DC when she does what she does as well as about DC's mother who despite having other children must miss her son. However, I also think that DC is trying to hold onto his sanity while he is missing MR and waiting for her.

DC gets a vision that MR is speaking to him saying her core temperature was increasing, so DC goes to the hospital, calling Prof. Hwang on the way. At the hospital, MR's body temperature has returned to normal.

Later on, MR's mother and then DC gets a phone call that MR has woken up. DC had gone on a business meeting trip to Jeju Island, and tries to find a way to get back to Seoul in a rush. On the way, DC talks to MR's mother who tells him that MR has woken up and that she's even started trying to walk.

At the hospital, DC comes across MR sitting outside in the snow. They approach each other with tears in their eyes.

DC: Are you okay?
MR: Have you been well?

DC: Yes. It's been a bit difficult, but...

MR: You're as handsome as aways, Ma Dong Chan.

DC: So much...I've missed you so much.

MR: I'm cold. Please melt me.

DC enfolds MR in his arms.

Back to regular life, DC is his irascible PD self. He yells at MR for being lax at her job. She tries to say that she's been frozen and melted twice, so maybe that's why, but DC won't accept that as an excuse. LOL. Later on, in his office, DC is very sweet to MR, but they agree that work should be separate from their personal lives.

Later on, DC's family ask MR if she still doesn't want to marry. MR says that she doesn't want to get married. She's still too young, and she had been thinking of studying overseas even, then possibly going to graduate school. She thinks it will be at least 5 years before she's ready. DC blows up at this saying that he's been waiting for MR forever, and now she's talking about leaving him to go do things. He tells her that she's being selfish and only thinking of herself rather than him. He'll be 40 by the time she's ready to marry him. DJ helpfully reminds him that he'll be 60 rather than 40. LOL. DC's mother who is trying to be helpful mentions that DC could go with MR, but DC says that he has too many projects that he's started to drop everything and leave. DC's mother then tells MR that she could marry DC and have a baby who DJ will raise before MR goes on to pursue her own interests, which leaves everyone aghast. LOL  DC's mother wants DC and MR to get married before summer. DC himself also wants to really, really get married, though he says that this isn't something that should be discussed right then.

Later on DC drives MR home where she tries to tease him a bit, but he's more reflective. As he drops her off, DC hands his journals to MR, telling her that he had written them while waiting for her. He says that while waiting for MR, he's learned to believe in fate, so he'll just leave everything to fate. Inside, MR reads what DC had written.

MR meets HY in the hallway of the broadcast station where they greet each other formally. This scene is meant to show that there are no hard feelings between them any more, and that their relationship is now just the formal one.

Walking hand in hand, DC tells MR that she should do as she wants to, and that he'll support her dreams. MR says that she's read his journals, and now she doesn't want to be apart from him. DC says that he can't leave to go with her right now, that he has too many projects that he's started. While it may be the time for MR to pursue her dreams, he has to live in the reality that he's currently in. He says that he'll wait for her. MR says that she doesn't want to go any more, but DC says that he won't let MR give up her dreams for him. Just then, DC gets a text, and then he smiles saying that perhaps there is a way.

Turns out that the text was from his niece who asks why they're being so complicated. They should just travel together and do a youtube channel. That is what DC and MR decide to do, to launch a travel program which they broadcast via youtube. Their greeting to their followers on youtube to live well and warmly with the people they love and thanking them also serves as their goodbye to the drama. The final voiceover from the niece saying "And that's the way the frozen humsns Ma Dong Chan and Go Mi Ran lives happily ever after."

Hmm, I still have mixed feelings about this drama as to whether I would ever recommend it. I think perhaps only true fans of JCW would appreciate it. It had good elements, but it never really seemed to all jell together. I think all areas had problems in this drama, frankly. The writing never felt as it it hung together well, and the direction also seemed a bit here and there. Though, I think they must have been in live shooting for the final bits of it perhaps given how jumpy the scene cuts are. Even the acting felt bemused at points.

However, I still enjoyed DC as a character, handsome and flawed, and having to deal with a weird new reality not to mention changes of emotions. MR felt less fleshed out somehow, and I'm not sure if it's because I never connected with her and the issues around her disrupted life as much as I connected with DC somehow. Then again, I'm still not sure that the drama overall did that good a job of figuring out the conflicting emotions for the OTP after the time jump, and it set up some interesting conundrums as a viewer.

Given that DC was still in love with HY when he woke up, the fact that he was able to let her go so quickly, even with his thinking she had betrayed him, and then switch his affection to MR that made me wonder if he had really loved HY in the first place. It's why I thought that without the big freeze, HY and DC would have either separated or gotten divorced at some point. The conundrum for me is that as a romantic comedy, this drama seem to take quite a while to actually get their OTP attracted to each other.

I don't know if the drama needed more time, or fewer characters to keep track of, or just the plotting really needed to have been better fleshed out earlier on. But, it's done now, and I still enjoyed watching it.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who popped in. Hope to see you all on other threads!

could not agree more with this. I have similar thoughts on this drama as a whole. The only think that keeps me watching it is Ji Chang Wook and Won Jin Ah performance and that's it. This definitely not a drama I want to recommend to new Kdrama fan or a newbie JCW fan. This drama definitely sits at the opposite end from Healer, Empress Ki and The K2. 

I think the writer waste too much screen time on the slapstick comedy (it takes half of the series) and the unsolid sci-fi theme. I can see the writer is ambitious but she lack of enthusiast and she did not do her homework. From her writing you can know she is not a scifi fanatic. Her science element in the drama is lazy. 

Don't get me started on the chopy editing and the unclear direction. TO me this drama quite wasting JCW and WJA and other casts talents. Considering the writer has ample of time to write the scenario, idk why the drama has too much on going filming. CW gets out of Army in April and he confirm not long after. The drama only premiered in Sept. So, the managemet of filming of this drama is not done properly imo. 

Hope these 2 gets a better drama next. 

I hope JCW and WJA can work on another project together again as the main leads and in a better romantic script.

Episode 16 was their last chance, but they blew it.. tbh it was expected, there's no way you can wrap up everything in 1 episode, especially when there's way too much to settle.

Looks like many have come in to put their final weigh-in on the drama, and the sentiment is generally the same -- attempts to "save" the drama notwithstanding, everything just could have been better. As @jus-ashpointed out, so many things were just so "sudden".

Suddenly, Prof Hwang regained his memory.

Suddenly, Na Young felt guilty towards Mi Ran.

Suddenly, Dong Chan and Na Young resolved their feelings towards each other.

Suddenly, Young Seon found the courage to get a divorce from Byung Shim

Suddenly, the evil twin is no more.

Suddenly, Dong Chan and Mi Ran fell so madly in love with each other (I know not everyone agrees on this, but that's how I felt.)

And in the last episodes,

Suddenly, Nam Tae became an accomplished baker.

Suddenly, Na Young went to the US and came back to find Prof Jo her neighbour (with a hint of possible romance between the two.)

Suddenly, the killer is caught.

Suddenly, Ji Hoon had gone to the army, got out, and got a job at the station (?!?!)

Suddenly, the station President loses his job (or should I say, "finally"?)

Suddenly, Mi Ran's condition turns from plummeting temperatures to normal and... AWAKE!

Suddenly, Dong Chan is ok with not getting married to Mi Ran and to globe trot with her.

I found myself actually just falling asleep through most of the last episodes and forwarding through very slow and dry scenes. 

JCW, please return to the small screen soon with a better production. This was such a waste and can't be your come back drama. 

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

JCW, please return to the small screen soon with a better production. This was such a waste and can't be your come back drama. 

Off topic so in spoiler - this is from the Soompi article recently.  The comments are mixed. Some want him to choose his next project with more discernment fearing that jumping into another drama which is also delving into weird science isn’t wise.  Others just want to see him again in a better production ASAP.

Spoiler

On November 18, Sports Donga reported that Ji Chang Wook is in the final stages of reviewing his next project after tvN’s “Melting Me Softly.” The drama he was offered is director Kim Hong Seon’s “LUCA” (Last Universal Common Ancestor, tentative title). Kim Hong Seon has directed OCN’s “Voice,” “Black,” and “The Guest.” The director and Ji Chang Wook have previously worked together through SBS’s “Warrior Baek Dong Soo.”

Ji Chang Wook’s agency Glorious Entertainment stated to Star Today, “It is true that he was offered a role in ‘LUCA.’ He is reviewing the offer.”

According to Sports Donga, “LUCA” will be a 12-episode pre-produced drama and air on tvN around early or mid 2020.

A source from tvN shared, “‘LUCA’ is one of the projects we are thinking of scheduling in, and nothing has been decided. It is true that we offered Ji Chang Wook a role, but his appearance has not been confirmed yet.”

“LUCA” is based on Charles Darwin’s proposition that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors. Genetics is a topic that has not been dealt with in Korean dramas. A broadcasting industry source shared, “Ji Chang Wook is working hard to show his various sides and make a transformation through acting. Through ‘LUCA,’ you will be able to see a side of Ji Chang Wook that you haven’t been able to see.”

Screenwriter Chun Sung Il of KBS2’s “Slave Hunters,” “The Package,” and more will be writing the script.

Meanwhile, Ji Chang Wook will holding his fan meeting “Waiting for You” in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and Korea starting next year on January 10.

4 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Off topic so in spoiler - this is from the Soompi article recently.  The comments are mixed. Some want him to choose his next project with more discernment fearing that jumping into another drama which is also delving into weird science isn’t wise.  Others just want to see him again in a better production ASAP.

Reveal hidden contents

On November 18, Sports Donga reported that Ji Chang Wook is in the final stages of reviewing his next project after tvN’s “Melting Me Softly.” The drama he was offered is director Kim Hong Seon’s “LUCA” (Last Universal Common Ancestor, tentative title). Kim Hong Seon has directed OCN’s “Voice,” “Black,” and “The Guest.” The director and Ji Chang Wook have previously worked together through SBS’s “Warrior Baek Dong Soo.”

Ji Chang Wook’s agency Glorious Entertainment stated to Star Today, “It is true that he was offered a role in ‘LUCA.’ He is reviewing the offer.”

According to Sports Donga, “LUCA” will be a 12-episode pre-produced drama and air on tvN around early or mid 2020.

A source from tvN shared, “‘LUCA’ is one of the projects we are thinking of scheduling in, and nothing has been decided. It is true that we offered Ji Chang Wook a role, but his appearance has not been confirmed yet.”

“LUCA” is based on Charles Darwin’s proposition that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors. Genetics is a topic that has not been dealt with in Korean dramas. A broadcasting industry source shared, “Ji Chang Wook is working hard to show his various sides and make a transformation through acting. Through ‘LUCA,’ you will be able to see a side of Ji Chang Wook that you haven’t been able to see.”

Screenwriter Chun Sung Il of KBS2’s “Slave Hunters,” “The Package,” and more will be writing the script.

Meanwhile, Ji Chang Wook will holding his fan meeting “Waiting for You” in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and Korea starting next year on January 10.

I am one of those who doesn't want him to do this weird sci fi genre.I rather wait a little longer for him to choose a better drama from a top notch 'good quality' writer. I don't mind him to choose movies or musicals for a year or two before jump back into drama. I don't want him to rush. I know sometimes it can be overwhelming when you received another offer right after your drama ends. But, I want him to wait a little bit more. Wait for another offers. Wait for a good script. Wait for a good production. Quality is always better than quantity. 

550/5000

I understand JCW chose this drama.
I like the story. It encourages the viewer to think.
It would have spent 20-24 episodes.
I love PD MA.
I love the 24 year old Go MI Ran.
The first 10-12 episodes are flawless.

Unfortunately for the plot threads, the character developments in the last 4 episodes are confusing to me.

I like everything in general,
  though not an Empress Ki or a Healer or a Fabricated city :D
But no worse than Suspicious Partner or K2

Let's be understanding, JCW also lives on money, can't wait for the perfect scenario all the time. FFF

Archived