[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

I don't get that vibe that CLOY is that popular here in SEA. I remembered my wife would ask me to drive home faster so that she would not miss "winter sonota". Also there's another period drama about some first female doctor in Korea that was all the rage. I think DOS also got mentioned in newspapers quite a bit.

Writer Park Ji-eun must have attended this piano concert in Seoul, where Ukrainian-American pianist Valentina Lisitsa played Für Elise as an encore piece, prompting the audience to break into a collective laughter. Hence, a very snooty Ri Jeong Hyuk. :D

ndJ54NV.png

ijJcRig.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

7 hours ago, Keroppi said:

@lavanta Agree about the re-opening of Kaesong industrial area as a possibility since this is not too far fetch from reality (current SK president express wanting to re-open it, right? - correct me if I’m wrong comrades).  So, it won’t be too contoversial for SK viewers and political parties. 

So, that’s where SR’s investments can come in.

But it doesn’t necessarily mean SR stays in NK. Investing in NK first and foremost can justify JH’s presence in SK so Papa Ri won’t get into trouble.

===

I am a 30-something married woman but Crush’s song makes me feel like I’m in a forbidden relationship with someone from an enemy country. LOL This is the second best CLOY OST for me after Sohee and So Soo Bin’s Good. 

I did not know the president wanted to re-open the area, thanks it's good to know:) This way, the ending might be more reasonable for Korean audience. I don't wanna sound insensitive but i would be over the moon if they re-unified if the circumstances allowed. 

As per OSTs, I loved every single one of them. It's rare that i like all the OSTs of a drama. But Crush's OST became my favourite too, especially reminded me the old times where I used to look at the moon and wonder if my boyfriend was also looking at it too (he was living in a different country). I hopelessly believed being under the same sky, looking at the moon and wondering if he does the same too. I was naive, he wasn't looking at all:tears: At least in CLOY JH does it at the same time with Seri, that's why the song makes me extra emotional. Too much personal info but CLOY really made me relate to the emotions at least

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

Wow so RJH is best Bodyguard, now a Best Caregiver 

I hope he will get the next title of Best Husband and the father of Twins :relaxed: *waiting patiently outside the delivery room*

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, junelives said:

I had to go watch MLKSS given all the conversation here. 

I'll reserve comments about the drama, but found it hilarious that a 2005 public TV channel drama had more skinship than a 2020 drama airing on a paid TV channel - like how?

But CLOY hasn't ended yet - so may be there is still hope!

Because PG13. I’d like to know who decided on the PG13 rating for a cable channel that airs the show at 11pm KST though...

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 minute ago, gilaswan said:

Because PG13. I’d like to know who decided on the PG13 rating for a cable channel that airs the show at 11pm KST though...

It airs at 9PM not 11PM. As for PG13, I think changing in demographics might be one of a few reasons. In the past, the target audiences were older compared to the current situation. Additionally, Netflix’s involvement might also contribute to the rating selection. If you look at Netflix’s newer releases, many of them are for youngsters. I think Netflix wants to attract younger audiences.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, INeedAFan said:

It airs at 9PM not 11PM. As for PG13, I think changing in demographics might be one of a few reasons. In the past, the target audiences were older compared to the current situation. Additionally, Netflix’s involvement might also contribute to the rating selection. If you look at Netflix’s newer releases, many of them are for youngsters. I think Netflix wants to attract younger audiences.

Oh yeah, you’re right. They’re at GMT +7. Oh well, to imagination land, I say! Hahahhaha...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

17 hours ago, newbie said:

I don't get that vibe that CLOY is that popular here in SEA. I remembered my wife would ask me to drive home faster so that she would not miss "winter sonota". Also there's another period drama about some first female doctor in Korea that was all the rage. I think DOS also got mentioned in newspapers quite a bit.

Winter sonata was ages ago, back then there was no Netflix and the k dramas are not yet available online reason why the people who were avid fans were always on a hurry to go home. It's different now. 

• Like 12
  • Insightful 2

Plot twist: North Korea's most senior defector Thae Yong Ho, who openly expressed support for CLOY's showing, as opposed to the conservative Christian Liberty Party's allegation that the drama was glorifying the North, is running for parliament in the South.

LOLz :D

He's the subject of the link I attached in a previous post below, whose defection shocked the world and is believed to also have soured United Kingdom's diplomatic relations with NK. 

This is getting interesting. :w00t:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/11/north-koreas-most-senior-defector-to-run-for-parliament-in-the-south

In reality, there were instances where Kim/Jong/Un had top-ranked officials, once thought to be his trusted advisors, executed or sent to prison camps bec of "differences in running NK". One was even fed to a tank of Brazilian piranhas. I don't know Papa Ri is going to defect, but it could happen in one of those diplomatic events like the inter-Korean meetings, where he goes missing and the next thing we know he's with the NIS ready to defect. There are several instances of high-ranking officials that have defected to SK. In fact, before the 1990's famine, most defections were done by them since they had the means or were posted in countries that made defection possible. A recent high profile defection was by NK's ambassador to Denmark and UK who defected to the British MI5/MI6 (maybe to James Bond), which caught NK and the world off guard. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/thae-yong-ho-north-korean-diplomat-defector/

**Although I am guessing they will just reopen the Kaesong Industrial Complex and Se Ri will open Se Ri Choice's manufacturing facility there, where NK ahjummas can work and see Se Ri when she goes for a plant visit. Happy ending for everyone! 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1

19 hours ago, kimeon_ said:

Whilst waiting for Saturday, I've re watched some episodes to fill in my time and oh wow, realized that this writer is such a good and thoughtful writer.

Remember when Se Ri told Jeong Hyeok to say 10 nice words (affirmations) to the young tomato plant every day so it will grow and not wither? Se Ri told him the 10 nice words {affectionate advices} too in episode 08, hoping that he'll be okay and moving forward. In life, without her.

1. Goodbye

2. Be safe

3. I hope you have a good wedding

4. I hope you have a lovely family

5. Be happy

6. Live a long, {7.} happy life

8. Forget about our time together.

9. Make sure you do that.

10. Ri Jeong Hyeok-shi, I love you. :heart:

..and in episode 14, when Jeong Hyeok wrote Se Ri a farewell note after he arranged all the groceries for her, he did the same. Those 10 loving notes. 

Listen to this when you can't sleep.

Yoon Se Ri, 

You're having trouble sleeping again?

You have a lot of medications.

1. Don't take medication when you can't sleep.

2. How about listening to this piece instead?

You said that after hearing this piece, you wanted to live again.

What you told me brought comfort to my past.

I feel like I want to live again.

3. So, how about we live today as if we will meet the next day?

4. Make sure you eat and {5.} get a good night's sleep.

6. How about we go on with our days, pretend that we can meet again the next day, and {7.} live a happy life?

..and when {8.} living your life becomes fun and {9.} you become happy, even if you forget about me one day,

10. I..will be okay. :heart:

I am pretty sure I will be having a severe withdrawal symptoms once this drama ends on Sunday night. :bawling:

this scene hit me so hard. :bawling::heart:

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

16 hours ago, creativedistraction said:

Is it safe to say that CLoY is as popular as DotS now? :D

Wow, your question resulted in a lot of interesting discussion!! 

I've tried watching DOTS a few times. But I couldn't get pass even 1 episode! Don't know why, but somehow the leads interaction did not attract me, and maybe  the storyline of the SK army and patriotism was not my cup-of-tea. In terms of acting, for sure HB and SYJ are a lot better and convincing, including their chemistry. I might wanna give DOTS a try again after CLOY, since many say they love the drama a lot, even if they love CLOY more.

About dramas by KIM EUN SOOK, I've seen Lovers in Paris, Secret Garden Garden and Goblin. I quite like Lovers in Paris, can't quite get into SG but loved Goblin.

Goblin was the drama that brought me back into kdrama-land after a long break. Goblin's bromance and 2nd lead romance was the highlight for me. Of course I also cried a lot when Goblin lost his love, but I was more invested in Gong Yoo's feelings rather than the OTP. Which is very different from CLOY where I am invested a lot in both the male and female leads emotions, individually and together. That's the biggest strength of CLOY in my POV. And also the very refreshing NK scenario and of course the charismatic side characters.

I've always been a HB fan/ admirer since MNKSS but have only admire SYJ's acting and films (which has mostly been very good). CLOY made me into a SYJ fan cuz of her vibrant personality, both on-screen and off-screen, and made me an even bigger fan of HB. His JH's role is his best so far, and so different from his often "arrogant" roles. I also think JH's role is the closest to HB's real personality - introverted, shy and quiet, yet can be very cute and childlike when with people he likes and comfortable with (looking at you SYJ!). And SYJ showed me that she can do comedy plus melodrama just as well! I love SR's character who is so cool and bold, and say things directly, who will not let others bully her, yet is so soft and generous to people whom she trust and who cares for her. Amazing female lead!!

CLOY was also the drama that brought me into SOOMPI forums, registering as a user and joining the discussions here! That's quite a game changer for me.

But if we were to discuss overall popularity to general public it's not as clear cut to compare DOTS and CLOY. Mainly cuz DOTS is in a public channel (KBS) with final rating 35.3% as it has wider access to the GP. CLOY is on cable channel TVN and is at 17.7% - many says the rating should be times 2 which means it's already 35.4% but I still wonder if it really reached 35% unless others watch it via online channels. Not so sure about that...

As for cultural and global impact, one advantage that DOTS has is that it was a joint SK-China production and hence has direct access to China audience. For CLOY, viewers will need to view it via other online means and not a main channel, so that may impact its reach, though I read somewhere that CLOY is also very popular in China (but without direct promotions) and HB is getting even more popular now (not sure about SYJ as she was mainly in movies but I'm sure she has gained fans in China and other parts of Asia).

I read in DOTS wikipedia that its cultural impact is huge and also impacted SK's patriotism. Not sure how CLOY's cultural impact is since the subject of NK might still be sensitive - I'm guessing it raised more awareness and empathy about NK among the SK people (and other parts of the world), but I think SK people are still less likely to discuss about NK too much openly.

Anyways, that's my POV. A bit long winded but I thot this was a very interesting discussion and wanted to join in. :D

• Like 12
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newbie said:

It's probably not a fair comparison of Winter Sonata with CLOY. Winter Sonata was way back in 2002 and korean dramas have only just started to gain some momentum outside of SK. It started the Hallyu Wave and many Asian viewers saw SK drama for the first time. Currently there's a deluge of kdramas from both public channel and cable channels, and it's not easy for a drama to stand out and make viewers addicted and talk about it constantly. I think CLOY has done that which is pretty amazing!

More about Winter Sonata and Dae Jang Geum in spoiler tag :

One interesting fact - Winter Sonata's ratings peak was 28.8% and final episode was 24.5%. Which is not considered super high during that time in 2002. That's probably because SK audience already have seen many similar melodramas and Winter Sonata was not as different for them. But to audience outside of SK, it was a HUGE impact and many love the pure love story vs the often more sexualised ones from the US and other Asian countries.

The period drama about the first female doctor is Dae Jang Geum, and yes that was super super popular (probably more so than Winter Sonata). It created a big cultural impact especially on SK's food culture and also its history.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3

36 minutes ago, INeedAFan said:

This is important question, is there any HD quality of this picture?

Been looking for that photo too. There's a version of it somewhere showing the nameplate. Can't find it now. I'm feeling this would support the OneKorea theory.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, bibbokiddo said:

Comrades! Key in your questions! 

This is going to be so interesting! To be able to ask questions directly to a NK defector who has also been advising the CLOY production team about the lives and socio-political structure of NK! I've seen a number of the youtuber videos talking about CLOY's depiction of NK, and it has mainly been very accurate with some minor discrepancies. That's why as I was watching CLOY, I was assured that it's pretty close to the village life in NK including the houses, the illegal market, house checks, limited electricity etc. 

One thing mentioned by the NK youtubers that struck me is that although NKoreans has a tough life but they are generally happy and also have close relationship with each other in the community. Versus SK where people are stressed and busy and care more for themselves vs the people around them. I think that has been depicted quite well in CLOY.

That also makes sense how the F5 are so willing to go all the way to protect and save SR and also to help Captain Ri.

About the "TOO CHASTE" question posed by one member above, though I agree that there can be more skinship and affections shown between the OTP, but I don't agree that since they are already in their 30s, they will be all ready to "jump" at each other. JH is from NK which is still an ultra-conservative society. They don't have access to media outside of NK (no internet nor tv channels) and only watch what has been sanctioned by the NK government. (don't think JH will watch SK dramas illegally hahaha). Yes he was in Switzerland but he was pretty young and has been back in NK for 7 years. All of that contribute to his conservative approach to romance. While SR is all talk and no action - she probably is as inexperienced as JH lol!! 

But fear not, we may still see them "consummate" their love and give us our hope-for TWINS!!

• Like 13
  • Insightful 3

3 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

@KimSooHanMoo any news on when is the wrap-up party will be held? I heard it's on 13th...but postponed ?

Just coming in to answer your question. https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202002101741024618 - this news article said they are wrapping up the project on 13th and will have a wrap up event at an unnamed place on 13th. But there has been no further news about this. So I am not sure if they are really going to have a wrap up party in the usual fashion. There has also not been any news about a reward trip. I think the fear of the coronavirus spread might have curtailed some of these plans. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5