[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, laura Washington said:

Well yes, Shady mom beat her half to death when she was a child. Something had to come lose.

shady mom is a sadist. She is unnatural. I don't know what happened, but Jenny has many problems already. but later on both of them depended on each other. Jenny was the bread-winner. Also shady mom had her by her side for so long. Their relationship is unnatural. I think that despite the torturing and so on, shady mom somehow knew that no matter what, Jenny still clings to her. So it is so complicated. Jenny still loved her mom despite everything. Shady mom depended on Jenny's love and care, that is why she doesn't want to let her go, because besides Mansoo, no one ever showed any feelings towards shady mom (and Mansoo's dad in the past)

this drama shows very monstrous and horrible dark side of human nature.

22 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

shady mom is a sadist. She is unnatural. I don't know what happened, but Jenny has many problems already. but later on both of them depended on each other. Jenny was the bread-winner. Also shady mom had her by her side for so long. Their relationship is unnatural. I think that despite the torturing and so on, shady mom somehow knew that no matter what, Jenny still clings to her. So it is so complicated. Jenny still loved her mom despite everything. Shady mom depended on Jenny's love and care, that is why she doesn't want to let her go, because besides Mansoo, no one ever showed any feelings towards shady mom (and Mansoo's dad in the past)

Yes is dose, but unfortunately this happens all around the world, mental and physical abuse to our children,

rich and poor. And some will grow up to over come this by the grace of. Jenny and MS show the other side  of what happens.They grow up to be really messed up adults that society also has to deal with. As they say, just like a box of chocolate you NEVER know what you are going to get. Because abuse can be passed on for generations. :tears: 

6 minutes ago, laura Washington said:

Yes is dose, but unfortunately this happens all around the world, mental and physical abuse to our children,

rich and poor. And some will grow up to over come this by the grace of. Jenny and MS show the other side  of what happens.They grow up to be really mess up adults that society also has to deal with. As they say, just like a box of chocolate you NEVER know what you are going to get. Because abuse can be passed on for generations. :tears: 

Somehow Jenny is not evil, she is just unstable. I don't think she can harm anyone, but she is a mashochist :(

Shady Mom is really on the run since the flyers are all over town and people are seeing her and calling the police.  She's scrounging for food and places to sleep, and the preview shows she finds some new clothes for a new disguise.

I'm not sure about the conversation that Jenny had with her, but I'm thinking, when pressed, Mom tells her she doesn't know who Jenny's family is.

Here it comes... preview shows MS bowing in front of Mrs. Ji and telling that Jenny is Kyung Ah.:o

the episode should be titled "jenny grows a spine" :lol: hahahah.... so shady mom demands 30K USD to run off but jenny surprised me and she refuses to give her any money and tells shady mom to turn herself in. shady mom instead accuses jenny of not being sympathetic enough and is angry that things haven't gone her way -- she blames aunt and eun ji for taking her money and man soo for messing everything. jenny is aghast that even after knowing man soo is her son, shady mom doesn't seem to care at all. shady mom insists that man soo may be her biological son but she has no emotional tie to a baby that she abandoned long ago. instead, she blames him for stirring everything up and getting in her way. jenny rightly points out that shady mom is still selfish and only thinking about herself. so much change from beginning of series!

even at this point, shady mom won't tell jenny the truth and instead makes it seem like jenny was an abandoned child that she picked up from the market. since people were kind to her thinking that she was a single mom, she kept jenny. for a change, jenny doesn't quite believe that story and questions why shady mom then abused her if she liked jenny so much. shady mom puts it down to survival. jenny seems to have a brain now and doesn't quite buy it. even though she wasnt' able to stop shady mom from leaving, she informs the detectives. man soo is determined to bring shady mom in and has people handing out flyers. he had also scheduled a meeting with mrs ji and jenny to tell them the truth. looks like mrs ji will go alone because jenny decides to visit her doctor first.

there was some funny scenes while shady mom is on the run. in the subway station, she tries to boss some homeless man over a spot. when she declares she is black rose, the men discuss how black rose was so pretty and so shady mom cannot be black rose. exasperated, she says that everyone gets old at some point and looks like this. LOL. :joy:

OMG, Shady witch being recognised everywhere, but especially by the homeless guys made me laugh. She's such a narcissistic psycho, she got mad that her photo had been handed out and cursed the "trash/scumbags". She's so twisted and demented, you just have to laugh at her antics. At least that's how I'm choosing to finish watching this drama. If I took it seriously I'd burst a blood vessel. 

Even though I'm trying to finish this without getting angry and swearing at the screen, I did unleash a few exasperated wtfs at all the littering MS has caused after he barked out his orders to put out more flyers. Was it really necessary for him to have the streets of Seoul hit with flyers as if they were confetti?!!!

@LmanglaI was shocked, but proud when Jenny actually called the cops after her teahouse meeting with Shady. When Shady was rambling on to Jenny about how "when I was with you, people were nice to me", I was getting so frustrated at her BS and Jenny for listening, but then Jenny actually called her out regarding the abuse etc. She didn't just sit there and fall for the tears in Shadys eyes as she spun her lies. Every story Shady tells is framed in how it affected her, and in her mind she's some kind of sympathetic anti hero that is being unjustly harassed by the world. Like a true narcissist. It was satisfying to see Jenny hold firm to the truth, even whilst being conflicted by her last remaining affection for the woman she thought was her mother. 

So next episode is going to be the bomb.  The psychiatrist is helping Jenny again to go back into her childhood, and he tells her that she said her name was Kyung Ah and her sister's name was Song Ah.  This is happening while MS is revealing everything to Mrs. Ji.  Jenny is overcome and collapses in the hall.

I thought Aunt coming to Jenny's house was a little much, and I'm surprised at how aunt held back and stated the obvious, that Jenny should not help her mother.  At this point, as you all have stated, Jenny has a clear picture now of the circumstances and what she must do.  This episode shows that she has begun the breakaway, and sees her criminal mother for what she is.  Thank goodness she has a wonderful, loving family waiting for her to help with the healing process.

2 hours ago, Bejaffled said:

Every story Shady tells is framed in how it affected her, and in her mind she's some kind of sympathetic anti hero that is being unjustly harassed by the world. Like a true narcissist. It was satisfying to see Jenny hold firm to the truth, even whilst being conflicted by her last remaining affection for the woman she thought was her mother. 

am kind of amused at some of the things that are really tripping shady mom -- her need for her favorite coffee, old age, not being able to bark orders and people not getting intimidated by her nonsense. I started giggling when she said that even the dog was harassing her or something to the effect. LOL. :lol: .. like you said, all the stories are framed on how it affected her but it is also giving us insight into why she kept jenny. it suited her to be thought of as a mother and people helping her out. later jenny became a breadwinner and she no longer had to rely on crime to live this life she feels entitled to. in the end, it is all about her. in a way, am glad the PD is sticking to the selfish shady mom to the end and not trying to redeem her all of a sudden. yea, she might have pangs now and then but she is still very much selfish and the only victim in her head is herself.

it also struck me why man soo kept insisting that shady mom let jenny go and also reveal the truth. for better or worse, jenny really wants to hear the truth from the horse's mouth which is shady mom. to be truly free, she needs shady mom to let go of her and own up to what happened. the poor fella was really trying hard to make that happen but since it is obvious that shady mom will never accept her wrongs, it was time to pull the band aid off. think that mrs ji especially will be quite kind to man soo after the initial shock -- the guy after all got stabbed and was in an accident all because he wanted to reveal the truth.

1 hour ago, msmy said:

I thought Aunt coming to Jenny's house was a little much, and I'm surprised at how aunt held back and stated the obvious, that Jenny should not help her mother.  At this point, as you all have stated, Jenny has a clear picture now of the circumstances and what she must do

yea I was expecting aunt to go psycho but she was actually sane and stating the obvious. jenny needed to hear that as it is easy to get swayed by tears and emotional blackmail. after all, jenny has been under a spell from shady mom for years. so some brutal truth was definitely needed and aunt gave the right amount of sympathy + hard words. also liked that aunt still thinks eun seok and jenny are a bad match. frankly, they are.

The aunt... Is being nice? Wow...

And no family time. Awesome, I'm tired of EJ, YM and AY.

MS is being weird as usual, but I can't blame him. Black Rose may die, but it's funny how literally everyone recognises her!

Jenny, amazing job! The woman is such an amazing actress, it blows me away! She broke free from her "mom's" toxicity!

This is the biggie, all right.  The doctor told Jenny what she said, and it's all coming together.  After the session, Jenny calls Song Ah and questions her about when Kyung Ah got lost.  SA confirms what Jenny is thinking and remembering.  Jenny realizes that she is KA and faints in the hall, and the doctor finds her and gets help.  He then calls ES and ES comes to the hospital where, wouldn't you know, nosy Eun Ji is there for some reason and they run into each other.  The doctor comes to tell ES the situation and that Jenny is pregnant.  Big news for both of them, and of course, EJ goes blabbing to her mother,

Mrs. Ji goes to MS's house and he proceeds to painstakingly tell that Jenny is KA.  At first Mrs. Ji is so anxious that I thought she would pass out.  Then it all comes out, including how long he knew all of this and she goes into a rage.  He had the DNA test as well as the 2 pictures of Mrs. Ji and KA, and shady Mom and KA.  The poor woman is so distraught, and stumbles out of his house.  She is out and meets Jenny face to face where they embrace and Jenny calls her "Mom."

Shady Mom is on the run and the preview shows her being sighted,  so that's the next challenge to get her and put her away.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:09 AM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Jenny clings to her, or did in the past because she was abruptly taken away from her family.  In her flashbacks she said she wants to go home to her parents.  She was afraid that Blackie would abandon her.  It would be to her the second abandonment she experience.

they make so much noise about renowned criminal blackie.  But this blackie would be nowhere without the protection of her brother.  Without the earnings and support of Jenny.  Blackie couldn't even last a week on her own.  It's so bleh when you think of the notoriety blackie is given.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, msmy said:

Shady Mom is really on the run since the flyers are all over town and people are seeing her and calling the police.  She's scrounging for food and places to sleep, and the preview shows she finds some new clothes for a new disguise.

I'm not sure about the conversation that Jenny had with her, but I'm thinking, when pressed, Mom tells her she doesn't know who Jenny's family is.

Here it comes... preview shows MS bowing in front of Mrs. Ji and telling that Jenny is Kyung Ah.:o

And I hope that Mrs Ji would at least take one swing at MS.  That idiot annoys me no end with that screwed up woe is me face.  His arrogance in thinking he could protect Jenny.  create a family for her and Mrs Ji by not disclosing the truth about their relationship.  I can't really say I like him much.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:03 AM, chococarmela said:

The aunt... Is being nice? Wow...

And no family time. Awesome, I'm tired of EJ, YM and AY.

MS is being weird as usual, but I can't blame him. Black Rose may die, but it's funny how literally everyone recognises her!

Jenny, amazing job! The woman is such an amazing actress, it blows me away! She broke free from her "mom's" toxicity!

I wonder too whether the writer and PD has a thing for bimbos.  EJ and YM are both bimbos.. YM is the male version.  Not enough, they have to throw in one more who is more annoying that the siblings put together.   They are not funny and three at one go is really too much to take.

Preview

And MS finally speaks after his attempted murder, really it took him sooooooo long

And Jenny remembers after 119 episodes, as usual. Good it is not in ep 123 :D 

@O I understand your dislike of MS :) 

Spoiler

He isn't straightforward, his motives are complex. I think he wanted shady mom to tell Jenny the truth. He didn't want to say anything. I think his bias was more towards his mother. The actor is doing a good job. 

@dramaninja  I have always felt sorry for ES from the start. His family are so bad, his aunt and Youngman laughed at him when he was in prison, no one supported his marriage to Jenny, everything went wrong for him. He doesn't deserve this. Poor guy :( :( :(   He reminds me of SW in Home for summer :(:(

it is always the actor that makes me decide which one to feel sorry for, in case of ES here and SW, the look of sorrow on their faces makes me feel so compassionate with them. The best thing about you is that you focus on the role more than the actor :) 

Archived