[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

when ES helped Jenny recognize what shady mom did to her in the past, I was hoping that Jenny would interact better, but she was drawn to shady mom by a magnet. The relationship between Jenny and ES was doing well in the first part only, and I was happy watching them together, but when they broke up, I felt so sorry for ES. 

Later on when they married, there was something lacking in their love. I mean ES helped her in the sessions of hypnosis, but instead, Jenny chose to stay away from him. I don't know why Jenny is attached to Shady mom after learning what she did to her. It is rather strange and weird, I would say she is a masochist.  It is really so frightening.

I feel totally uneasy about the relationships in this drama. I mean the idea of shady mom hitting Jenny when she was child is so scary. Still Jenny loves her. Also shady mom used to shake Jenny's self-confidence and used to control her totally, this is toxic love really. so unnatural. I mean an evil woman has so much hatred inside her, and at the same time she wants Jenny to stay with her, which is somehow logical since she was used to having her by her side for so long. But still the nature of love here is so horrible and monstrous. It is a mix of love and torture, she loves her and tortures her at the same time. How come?? It is just a nightmare

that shady mom is trying to let go of Jenny is really good of her. It makes me feel that shady mom did love Jenny in her own way.  I think what Shady mom feared was Jenny's hatred. But when she learned that Jenny loves her, she agreed to hand herself in

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today episode was just a waste of time and filler, I will be glad when this is over and puts me out my misery . Now I am currently watching a drama called Shiyakusho-Death Hall a little dark, but very interesting. Only two episodes so far, but I can't wait for the next one. Sitting on the edge of my chair. If you do check it out tell me what you think. Because it is so different I think it will catch your attention.

I am also going back  to look at some of the dramas that was mention in some of your post and looking forward to  watching some of those. I know sometimes it seems like a two year old is posting, but I had a stroke and have lost a lot of my skills. So I do the best I can on my posting, sorry. 

My husbands says I can't remember how to cook his favorite meal but you can remember those dramas. :lol:

I think they help me focus more and more everyday so I am going to keep on watching and posting if I can. Thks

Well, that's that.  I liked the ending.  Nothing real dramatic, but it made sense.  Gangster Bro was taken in to jail.  WSJ was transferred to a cell with a new mom and her baby, and another inmate who was expecting.  So she calmed down immediately and had a purpose in helping out the new mom.  She had been sentenced to 7 years.

ES went to meet Jenny at Jenny's old house, and it was a congenial meeting.  Not sure what was discussed.  I'm assuming they did not remarry.

Jenny visited WSJ in prison.  They both wept, and "touched" hands before parting.  Jenny still called her "Mom", and WSJ is truly remorseful.

I think the time jump is 7 years.  ES is sitting on the park bench with his young son.  Pretty soon Jenny comes by (with long hair) and ES says, "There's Mom."  They don't seem to be married.

WSJ is released from prison and greeted by MS.  Along comes Jenny and Mrs. Ji, who greet her with flowers and tofu.  Pleasant words are exchanged, but WSJ is full of regret and genuinely sorry.  She is very humble.

Quite a calm ending and reasonable... the usual silly Oh family (no twins) at a picnic, and a silly dance ensemble with the entire cast at the very end.  Did anybody notice how Kyung In and Ma Eum were basically written out of the last few weeks?  

Yeah  this is    disgusting after all  the mom did Jenny is a fool to the end. What  part of she kidnapped you dont she understand  or what she did to ES family? Again this is very disrespectful to ES and even her on child.

This is awful to me and I dont care how sorry she is,I dont think  hated  a drama like this in a while. Its disgusting how she is there greeting her like evil mom did some light crimes.  

Jenny just feels like a terrible person to me in the end to be honest.

This is a common plot line I struggle to understand, to a degree i get that they spent so  much time together but after all the kidnapping and treatement and marriage and all yet its all sun shine and roses afterwards.  It really annoys me when that happens.

In the meantime the ex is the one to suffer out of all of it and it paints jenny and the bad person as well for the way she treated him.

I liked shady moms son's remorse he is actually cute and pathetic in a way when he is trying to apologise but to me didnt seem to be enough punishment for him either.  These kind of drama's let you down. 

They either show its okay to be as evil as they come as long as you apologise or ask to be forgiven thats okay.  Or the other common theme is you can stalk them endlessly into marrying you and thats acceptable and that the victim partners are either stupid or cant stand up for themselves and say anything......very disappointing.

3 hours ago, msmy said:

I think the time jump is 7 years.  ES is sitting on the park bench with his young son.  Pretty soon Jenny comes by (with long hair) and ES says, "There's Mom."  They don't seem to be married.

WSJ is released from prison and greeted by MS.  Along comes Jenny and Mrs. Ji, who greet her with flowers and tofu.  Pleasant words are exchanged, but WSJ is full of regret and genuinely sorry.  She is very humble.

Quite a calm ending and reasonable... the usual silly Oh family (no twins) at a picnic, and a silly dance ensemble with the entire cast at the very end.  Did anybody notice how Kyung In and Ma Eum were basically written out of the last few weeks?  

I THink that they seems married, but maybe it's the choice of writers for us, each decide to believe or not

New look of mrs Ji, i like this, she seems more young

So MS and Kyung in, there's barely nothing

i liked this drama

On 11/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Jenny's bond with shady mom is very strong, they depended on each other for so long. Jenny took care of shady mom all her life and supported her financially. I totally understand her attempt to save Shady mom who was trying to die instead of getting caught. You just can't erase 20+ years from your life

On 11/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, dramaninja said:

Thats fine if she wasnt being so nasty to ES ignoring what shady mom did to ES family its really messed up how little regard she seems to have for ES.  

Her attitude has been awful and I doubt she can redeem herself with so little time left.She never seen stuff from his perspective. 

There are some possible reasons for Jenny's odd behavior. The first is that Jenny is trapped in 'Stockholm' syndrome, in which the hostage sympathizes with the hostake taker. If this is the case, then some lead (in the drama) needs to instill a dose of reality to her.

The second is what may be a subtle message about filial duty. Another commenter, in the thread discussing "Home for Summer", mentions efforts by writers/directors to instill filial duty, which are thought to be eroding among younger generation.  

There could be a subtle message, here, that Jenny needs to be loyal and dutiful to her parent (Shady mom), even though she is a criminal who abuses, tortures and leeches off her. 

If this is the case, then two questions need to be raised.

- Is such an 'unreserved filial duty' message ethical, in the first place? 

- Would young people accept such a message or would they revolt against it?

One sincerely hopes that writers/directors would be careful and not go overboard in conveying their messages.

Only 7 years  for black rose after killing ES's dad seems unfair, while in "my only  one" the poor father was sentenced  to 20  years in prison for a crime  he didn't commit? Even SN in "love till the end " had 10 years without  committing murder. How come that black rose  is sentenced for 7 years only?????

Anyway I know why Jenny didn't remarry ES (we need subtitles to be sure). It is because Shady mom will always come between them. Jenny chose black rose over ES, even if ES is ready to accept black rose  (which I doubt ),  jenny won't cut ties with her, which is uncomfortable to all of them.

Just like shady mom raised Jenny without a father, jenny is raising her child without a husband. It is so bad

Subtitles makes it easier to understand what went down.  I suppose you could say in a sense that shady mom did get between them.  But its not exactly that.  She had been through a lot, although she knew her mother would go down, she still was involved with her and her ex husband had to arrest her.  I think Jenny knew all that was coming.

But the ex from the lounge conversation was proud of her for taking directions she finally wanted to take but also knew it would take time to heal from it all. The other drama's skirt over the psychological trauma of being taken.  This one didnt, jenny is still re-adjusting.  It showed at the very end she was finally overcoming it after all the years.

Her son was growing up and father and mother both looked at each other affectionately.  Although we can assume from that they wont get back together or at least anytime soon.  They have a strong bond and care deeply for each other and their son, which is all they needed at that point.

I wasn't sure how to react to the ending. :sweatingbullets:... mrs ji felt jenny needed a fresh start and so suggests going abroad to study. mrs ji had apparently saved up money over the years hoping to give to her when they finally meet. jenny also wants to study which she never got the opportunity to do so. so she bids bye to shady mom and tells her that she won't be coming for at least 2 years as she will be studying abroad. shady mom is like "why study when you are already accomplished" but then gets hit with regret when jenny reveals that she has always wanted to study and didn't get the chance.

7 years later, everything is pretty much the same. jenny and eun seok remain divorced but they have a joint custody kind of situation where he sees his son often. eun ji is seeing some middle aged man as thats still her type. kyung in is still single while ma eum has become a teenager. jenny is back working and eun seok and her seem to have a civil, friendly relationship. shady mom gets out of jail and mrs ji is dressed like a boss. she tells shady mom to stop coveting her daughter and move on with her son man soo. shady mom thanks jenny for visiting often and also apologizes to mrs ji. jenny says she still intends to keep in touch with shady mom. then both part at the jail in opposite directions. the only one looking back is shady mom.

like @fragglerock mentioned, the ending felt a bit naturalistic in that jenny is still tied to shady mom as it won't be that easy. however, it was kind of aggravating considering shady mom's actions. it feels like in some level, she got punished as she finally understood the implications of her actions and felt regret. however, in other ways, she got let off easy. who knows how many people she harmed and yet, both kids are still attached to her on some level and that does not seem right.  to see jenny basically choose shady mom over eun seok feels a bit unsavoury. it is a good thing that none of us were attached to this coupling -- otherwise, we would all be irritated at this ending.

anyways, see you chingus in another thread.

Right she chose the monster of  a so call mother over ES, she chose to basically forgive her for ever crime yet someone was nasty to ES  the last eps of the drama. It made no sense I really did not like the vast stupidity of this character and MS is just as stupid as well.

Like I said before divorcing her was the right decision she does not respect him like at all and still got a unhealthy attachment to a monster that cause so much pain.

Also what about her real mom? She does not respect her at all as well, she does not care how much she has suffer.

This drama was pointless in the end nothing really change her getting her memories back change nothing.

I'm in the middle of it, and I'm actually crying at the Jenny and Shady Mom jail scene.  What we are forgetting is that they had good times together as well as bad.  There was actual love after Shady decided to treat Jenny as her daughter and not her kidnap victim, even if Shady didn't really know how to be a good parent.  She is now better with the baby in the jail because she has learnt some lessons.  

So, yes, for Jenny, it's confusing, and Ms. Ji is right to get her away from it all.  And maybe the relationship with ES is best broken off, even if it seemed incredibly fated at the time.  It had its purpose, and that's enough.  

Like @marrez1,  I liked this drama.  I don't think I missed a single episode.  I'm very happy I watched.  It wasn't Happy Sisters or Sweet Enemy level, but it was close enough for me to try the next daily drama from SBS after nearly giving them up.

15 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

It wasn't Happy Sisters or Sweet Enemy level, but it was close enough for me to try the next daily drama from SBS after nearly giving them up.

The thing that worries me about "Wanna Taste?" is the PD is the same one from "Kangnam Scandal". I skipped that one so I don't know if it was any good or not. It's no secret that the lead actress in the next one is my favorite. However, the lesson I learned from this drama is not even a good cast can salvage either a bad script or PD. 

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모
2 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

The thing that worries me about "Wanna Taste?" is the PD is the same one from "Kangnam Scandal". I skipped that one so I don't know if it was any good or not. It's no secret that the lead actress in the next one is my favorite. However, the lesson I learned from this drama is not even a good cast can salvage either a bad script or PD. 

That show was ok the leads atleast express their love quite often to each other.

Archived