Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Admin

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] About is Love 大约是爱

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Jafstar said:

So I was checking out AIL’s page under MyDramaList, and came across what atsteryroses had to say about the title. I found it rather interesting, and so I quote her: ‘Okay so I was confused with the title as well but “About is Love” is basically the Chinese title (da yue shi ai) But like badly translated in my opinion. So, if it’s word for word the meaning will be “About is love” bc da yue means about/approximately/probably. “Shi ai” means it’s love. Therefore, that’s why the name is “About is Love” but can also be “It’s probably love” ‘

 

Personally, I prefer the later translation because it would flow nicer, but oh well drama has been made well! But for me, reading this commentator’s defining words make this drama become more full of depth. It’s Probably Love that prompts Wei Qing to act the way he does towards Zhou Shi, but he’s gotta travel a LONNNNG way to figure that fully out! Hahah. And it’s Probably Love to ZS as she figures out her school, work, finances, friendly-ties, and her entire life have been/are all linked to WQ.:wub: Yes...About is Love or Probably is Love. One thing is very clear; they are indefinitely linked together. 

 

 

Thanks for sharing that information about the translation of the title and the meaning of the title. Very interesting. I agree with you and I like the second translation of "It's Probably Love". It makes more sense and fits in better with the plot and themes of the drama as a whole.  The literal title "About Is Love" is actually grammatically incorrect in the english language and does not make sense.  This can happen when translations are literal and use the grammar structure of the original language. Sometimes they don't make sense or they can be understood but it's difficult because it's awkward or clunky.  If we make the original title gramatically correct  It Is About Love, or using contractions "It's About Love", the meaning is different because the word about in this context is more certain in definition that the word probably which has a meaning of more uncertain.  Since the drama deals with people questioning themselves, trying to find out what they want in life, using the word probably is a better choice in my opinion. Regardless, I'm enjoying the drama whatever the title! :)

5 hours ago, angelangie said:

 

 

i never paid attention to this things to be honest lols.....

 

maybe cause i probably thought it make sense that all......and they flow together so im happy :D

 

 I understand your point. I pay attention to the titles, but my main concern is the plot when I am selecting a drama. As long as I enjoy the story, that is the most important.

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I CAN’T! I WASN’T READY FOR THIS LOOOOOOOOOOL OMG OMG

Spoiler

EPISODE 14 THE KISS THO OMGGGGG IDK BUT IT WAS SO FKING HOT LMAO. I mean it was so sensual, also the song matched perfectly :*

Also, I just checked the bio of the main actor. I didn’t know him at all before this drama but he’s handsome :p at least in the drama, he is lol. And I saw 1996?! Lmao, he looks way older wtf.

  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched up to Ep. 13 with subs:

 

First, I have to say what is wrong with Wei Qing's father? He is constantly pressuring Wei Qing to be a painter, but when WQ sells his first painting (for $1000, no less!) he belittles his talent and calls his painting "trash"? What is up with that?! Not even a "congratulations". Ugh!

On a side note, I have to say WQ Father's attitude in regards to art, I find it unrealistic. I can understand his distaste for art that is "too commercial" as this is a common criticism in the art world, but to go so far as to say he doesn't want to see his son's art hanging on people's walls in their homes-no. Frankly, every artist wants to sell their art for lots of money to collectors, and any artist that says different is a big liar. It is every artist's dream to be able to support themselves and their families through the sale of their art-to be able to just work on their art full time, and not have to work other jobs in order to survive.

Anyway, back to the episodes. Both the father and the mother are terrible to Wei Qing. And how cute are Zhou Shi and Wei Qing together in ep. 12-13? It's nice to see them becoming friends at last.  I hope that ZS finds out about WQ illness soon (like next episode) so that we can see them working together to find a cure for WQ.  Looks like Wei Qing is already falling for ZS, but I'm glad that the writers have already given us a few scenes that show ZS is physically attracted to WQ, even if she doesn't quite realize it herself yet.  I heard from others that things heat up in ep. 14-15, so can't wait!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I have watched up to Ep. 13 with subs:

 

First, I have to say what is wrong with Wei Qing's father? He is constantly pressuring Wei Qing to be a painter, but when WQ sells his first painting (for $1000, no less!) he belittles his talent and calls his painting "trash"? What is up with that?! Not even a "congratulations". Ugh!

On a side note, I have to say WQ Father's attitude in regards to art, I find it unrealistic. I can understand his distaste for art that is "too commercial" as this is a common criticism in the art world, but to go so far as to say he doesn't want to see his son's art hanging on people's walls in their homes-no. Frankly, every artist wants to sell their art for lots of money to collectors, and any artist that says different is a big liar. It is every artist's dream to be able to support themselves and their families through the sale of their art-to be able to just work on their art full time, and not have to work other jobs in order to survive.

Anyway, back to the episodes. Both the father and the mother are terrible to Wei Qing. And how cute are Zhou Shi and Wei Qing together in ep. 12-13? It's nice to see them becoming friends at last.  I hope that ZS finds out about WQ illness soon (like next episode) so that we can see them working together to find a cure for WQ.  Looks like Wei Qing is already falling for ZS, but I'm glad that the writers have already given us a few scenes that show ZS is physically attracted to WQ, even if she doesn't quite realize it herself yet.  I heard from others that things heat up in ep. 14-15, so can't wait!  

Thanks for the heads up that Episodes 12-13 are out:)  I just finished 10 and 11 this morning.

 

i am really enjoying this.  I loved how unlike some dramas Zhou Shi holds her ground and Wei Qing's manipulative behaviour is not excused.  In other dramas she would have already given in to his underhanded, overbearing actions and and his behavior would be seen as romantic.  I was so pleased that even when she was at her lowest point in episode 11 she stayed strong and made him see the error of his ways (along with Fei Fei and her kick) Now he really is sorry rather than just saying sorry.  Now Wei Qing knows he has to treat her like a person rather than a toy and he has to behave like a person too. And now I can fully get behind their romance :D

 

The actress for Zhou Shi is adorable without being annoying and I like her acting.  I have to say I don't really like the CEO styling for Wei Qing.  He looks like a plastic Ken doll! They make his hair so big and stiff but it's a bit better in the latest episodes.  He looks more handsome and younger when he is dressed down in casual clothes with his hair down or in the flashbacks in just a hoodie and jeans.  I saw someone on the thread mentioned he was only born in 1996 so I guess they are trying to make him look older with the heavy styling when he is in CEO mode. 

 

Xiao Fei is so cute too. His dedication and little crush for his new big sister Zhou Shi is adorable! At first I thought the character was just eccentric and introverted.  I didn't realise until he donated the money to the charity that his character is supposed to be autistic but it makes sense given some of the behaviour he has shown.  Wei Qing had better improve the way he treats Xiao Fei too!  He is so mean to him and he is just a kid:angry:

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 7:22 AM, raziela said:

Thanks for the heads up that Episodes 12-13 are out:)  I just finished 10 and 11 this morning.

 

i am really enjoying this.  I loved how unlike some dramas Zhou Shi holds her ground and Wei Qing's manipulative behaviour is not excused.  In other dramas she would have already given in to his underhanded, overbearing actions and and his behavior would be seen as romantic.  I was so pleased that even when she was at her lowest point in episode 11 she stayed strong and made him see the error of his ways (along with Fei Fei and her kick) Now he really is sorry rather than just saying sorry.  Now Wei Qing knows he has to treat her like a person rather than a toy and he has to behave like a person too. And now I can fully get behind their romance :D

 

The actress for Zhou Shi is adorable without being annoying and I like her acting.  I have to say I don't really like the CEO styling for Wei Qing.  He looks like a plastic Ken doll! They make his hair so big and stiff but it's a bit better in the latest episodes.  He looks more handsome and younger when he is dressed down in casual clothes with his hair down or in the flashbacks in just a hoodie and jeans.  I saw someone on the thread mentioned he was only born in 1996 so I guess they are trying to make him look older with the heavy styling when he is in CEO mode. 

 

Xiao Fei is so cute too. His dedication and little crush for his new big sister Zhou Shi is adorable! At first I thought the character was just eccentric and introverted.  I didn't realise until he donated the money to the charity that his character is supposed to be autistic but it makes sense given some of the behaviour he has shown.  Wei Qing had better improve the way he treats Xiao Fei too!  He is so mean to him and he is just a kid:angry:

 

Yes, I like the female lead actress in this drama also. And her character is a breath of fresh air in the way that she stands up to the main lead and sticks to her principles. I don't mind the CEO styling for the main lead, but I agree with you that he looks much better with his hair down or in a more casual style. He's very handsome in the scenes where he is not at the office or performing his CEO duties. My goodness, I had not realized the actor playing Wei Qing was so young at just 22! I'll agree with you they are trying to make him look older as the character is 28 years.  

I like Xiao Fei character too. Actually, all of the supporting characters are interesting. (OK, I'm not that interested in the uncle and mother, but they have their purpose in the drama). Is the Xiao Fei character really supposed to be autistic? I was thinking he's just withdrawn and traumatised by his past. I really hope he's not autistic, just because I don't like how most dramas really do not handle it properly. I'm glad that the drama hasn't specifically labeled Xiao Fei as autistic. I agree that I hope Wei Qing begins to treat Xiao Fei better and that they can have a closer relationship by the end of the drama since both of them are lonely people. I find it funny that the 3 roommates  make such a big deal about Xiao Fei being "a kid" or "so young" when the character is 18 years and a college freshman, and the roommates are all 3rd year students, so he's only 2 years younger than them-3 at most.  But the actor playing Xiao fei does look young. (Fun Fact- the actor playing Xiao Fei and the actor playing Wei Qing are the same age in real life. Both are 22 years old)

 

5 hours ago, angelangie said:

 

 

can't WeiQing will not improved his way and it was also mainly because XiaoFei in a sense did trigger WeiQing the wrong way too.....i wont tell u why or how lols :D

 

ZhouShi will be WeiQing life line in this drama and slowly you will see WeiQing change his behavior and be less manipulative toward her and try to be more understanding and also try his best to win ZhouShi over with the correct way....

 

Thanks for the information about Wei Qing is the upcoming episodes. I can't wait to see the relationships develop.

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Yes, I like the female lead actress in this drama also. And her character is a breath of fresh air in the way that she stands up to the main lead and sticks to her principles. I don't mind the CEO styling for the main lead, but I agree with you that he looks much better with his hair down or in a more casual style. He's very handsome in the scenes where he is not at the office or performing his CEO duties. My goodness, I had not realized the actor playing Wei Qing was so young at just 22! I'll agree with you they are trying to make him look older as the character is 28 years.  

I like Xiao Fei character too. Actually, all of the supporting characters are interesting. (OK, I'm not that interested in the uncle and mother, but they have their purpose in the drama). Is the Xiao Fei character really supposed to be autistic? I was thinking he's just withdrawn and traumatised by his past. I really hope he's not autistic, just because I don't like how most dramas really do not handle it properly. I'm glad that the drama hasn't specifically labeled Xiao Fei as autistic. I agree that I hope Wei Qing begins to treat Xiao Fei better and that they can have a closer relationship by the end of the drama since both of them are lonely people. I find it funny that the 3 roommates  make such a big deal about Xiao Fei being "a kid" or "so young" when the character is 18 years and a college freshman, and the roommates are all 3rd year students, so he's only 2 years younger than them-3 at most.  But the actor playing Xiao fei does look young. (Fun Fact- the actor playing Xiao Fei and the actor playing Wei Qing are the same age in real life. Both are 22 years old)

Yes, I prefer seeing WQ in "relaxed" mode and casual look. 

 

The detail of WQ having a visible allergic reaction is a good one.  It makes you empathise with him even more and realise how painful and lonely he must be. It must feel like a miracle that after 10 years of suffering Zhou Shi appeared in his life. So even though I don;t agree with his methods, I can understand why he was so desperate to keep her by his side.  He definitely seems to have come alive since meeting Shi Shi.  I was wondering if they forgot about WQ's allergy in episode 12 when his mother slapped him as we didn't see any allergic reaction or maybe her touch doesn't' affect him as she is his mother. 

 

Xiao Fei - I'm not certain he is definitely autistic but I think that's what the drama is implying. I agree it's better they don't explicitly label him as dramas don't usually do a good job with portraying autism and this definitely isn't the right drama to explore that.  I think the girls treat him like a kid because he does act like a child at times and he also looks younger too.  Thanks for the fun fact!  I am surprised that Ning Fei and Wei Qing's actors are the same age :o  I'd like to see an everyday picture of the two actors side by side to see how they look normally.

 

I'm not that interested in Shi Shi's flatmates storylines.  It's obvious the slimy uncle is going to try to use Fei Fei.  I find the scenes between Bi Qiu Jing (the brainy flatmate) and Li Ming Cheng dull. I do like how they are the opposite of the usual tropes and she is totally confident and even arrogant about her intelligence.  She isn't even that interested in him and he is the one who is left speechless every time so far.  I'm also wondering if there's a point to the mean girl schoolmate who tried to trick WQ at the beginning besides being annoying and nasty.  I'm also wondering about Shi Shi's male friend in her art class, it feels like his role might become more significant but I can't guess how.

 

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw Episode 14 is out!!!

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the doubt about the age between the characters and thanks to @Table122000, it cleared.  So NF is just 2 years younger than LFF, ZS and BQJ(the brainy flatmate).  But i find NF and LFF so cute next to the main OTP.  I can see how he is making his moves on LFF even though she is more expert in that area than him. 

 

And i accept with @raziela, the third OTP is dull.  I dont find them interesting.  And that mean schoolmate girl, she is really annoying to the core.  She seems to be the wrong person at the wrong time everywhere.  

 

@ayleenlovesyou, thanks for the heads up on the kiss in ep.14.:wub:  I couldnt content my curiosity and indeed watched that episode without subs even before they were out.  OMG, the male lead is so good in kissing :tounge_wink:.  I suppose, the later episodes are going to be more fun.

 

Reg. the male leads and NF's real life ages, I couldnt believe they are just 22 years old.  Maybe the ML is so built-up he looks more old and also NF, the opposite.:innocent:

  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching episode 15 sub... Living for this drama! Yan Xi is doing the most with his dimples! He’s just so swoony!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 1:38 AM, pad-hari said:

I had the doubt about the age between the characters and thanks to @Table122000, it cleared.  So NF is just 2 years younger than LFF, ZS and BQJ(the brainy flatmate).  But i find NF and LFF so cute next to the main OTP.  I can see how he is making his moves on LFF even though she is more expert in that area than him. 

 

And i accept with @raziela, the third OTP is dull.  I dont find them interesting.  And that mean schoolmate girl, she is really annoying to the core.  She seems to be the wrong person at the wrong time everywhere.  

 

@ayleenlovesyou, thanks for the heads up on the kiss in ep.14.:wub:  I couldnt content my curiosity and indeed watched that episode without subs even before they were out.  OMG, the male lead is so good in kissing :tounge_wink:.  I suppose, the later episodes are going to be more fun.

 

Reg. the male leads and NF's real life ages, I couldnt believe they are just 22 years old.  Maybe the ML is so built-up he looks more old and also NF, the opposite.:innocent:

I find Nig Fei and Fei Fei's relationship very cute too!  But do you really think Xiao Fei is making moves on Fei Fei?  I didn't think he was making moves on her.  I will be interested to see how they get from the big sister-little brother relationship they have now to a romantic relationship because he doesn't see her as a woman and she doesn't seem him as a man...yet

 

I really liked WQ telling Shi Shi why he liked her even if she was drunk.  I usually don't like drunk scenes but the whole scene by the pool was great. The kisses in episode 14 were very good too :flushed:  When and where did you learn to kiss like that WQ if you've been allergic to women for 10 years? :smirk: Maybe he got lots of practice before his allergy started at 18????

 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:05 AM, angelangie said:

 

mainly the slap was just a brush.....in a sense it wasnt prolong....like how some touches linger i guess? 

 

however there will be a part when the mother actually touch and hold his hands that his allergic kick in

 

Thanks for explaining.  So he's even allergic to his mother.  That is sad even though their relationship is so bad right now :(

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raziela said:

 do you really think Xiao Fei is making moves on Fei Fei?  I didn't think he was making moves on her. 

I think it was in ep.13.  After FF had brushed her teeth, when he came into the bathroom and hit her forehead, there is no need for him to hold her face and put his forehead with hers. Oh, it was so lovey-dovey for me.    Also the choco-stick part in ep.14, did he really have to eat the choco stick from her mouth like that. Wow!!!! i was like, hey little kid, wth are you doing???? And when she went on a date with that CEO Director He, NF was like why is she going on  a date with him?  When he got lost, he only called her disturbing her date.  He could have called ZS.  Yes, i feel he has started having feeling for her after that big-bubble date in the park.

 

2 minutes ago, raziela said:

When and where did you learn to kiss like that WQ if you've been allergic to women for 10 years? :smirk: Maybe he got lots of practice before his allergy started at 18????

:joy::joy:, maybe when he was in US:tounge_wink:

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, raziela said:

I find the scenes between Bi Qiu Jing (the brainy flatmate) and Li Ming Cheng dull. I do like how they are the opposite of the usual tropes and she is totally confident and even arrogant about her intelligence.  She isn't even that interested in him and he is the one who is left speechless every time so far.  I'm also wondering if there's a point to the mean girl schoolmate who tried to trick WQ at the beginning besides being annoying and nasty.  I'm also wondering about Shi Shi's male friend in her art class, it feels like his role might become more significant but I can't guess how.

Sorry to cut your post...but I liked what you say here about the differences of the usual tropes. I feel that this drama in general is really a fresh take on the different reverse roles played out. It keeps me hooked onto even the dullest of characters. With the raw episodes, I had skipped through some of Ming Cheng and Qiu Jing’s scenes, but now that these episodes are subbed I am getting more invested in their banter. The guy who usually ‘shuts them down’ is now totally flabbergasted and as you mentioned, he’s now rendered speechless! It’s fun to watch. 

And regarding the mean girl and ZS’s classmate: oh, they have a purpose! lol It may not really be the truest form of angst, but this isn’t a melodramatic Kdrama. However, jealousy can lead people to do unexpectedly dramatic things. :rolleyes: How these two are linked to our main leads...well I won’t say more. :D

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pad-hari said:
22 hours ago, raziela said:

 do you really think Xiao Fei is making moves on Fei Fei?  I didn't think he was making moves on her. 

I think it was in ep.13.  After FF had brushed her teeth, when he came into the bathroom and hit her forehead, there is no need for him to hold her face and put his forehead with hers. Oh, it was so lovey-dovey for me.    Also the choco-stick part in ep.14, did he really have to eat the choco stick from her mouth like that. Wow!!!! i was like, hey little kid, wth are you doing???? And when she went on a date with that CEO Director He, NF was like why is she going on  a date with him?  When he got lost, he only called her disturbing her date.  He could have called ZS.  Yes, i feel he has started having feeling for her after that big-bubble date in the park.

Thanks for responding. That's interesting because I interpreted those scenes differently. His actions are too intimate and inappropriate for a young man and woman but he doesn't seem to react or be affected by their close contact in these scenes. He just does what he feels like doing but I don't feel there were any romantic intentions behind his actions. Only Fei Fei feels anything in these moments and gets flustered and runs away whereas Xiao Fei doesn't have any reaction and just carries on brushing his teeth or eating. I think Fei Fei is already unconsciously developing feelings for him but it will take longer for Ning Fei.

 

About calling Fei Fei when he got lost: I think NF called her because they have become friendlier and he knows Shi Shi is at an important birthday party. He also knows the uncle is untrustworthy as he must be familiar him from when he was living with WQ's family. Remember how he repeats the uncle's name after Fei Fei says she is going on a date with him? He definitely sounds suspicious of him.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jafstar said:

Sorry to cut your post...but I liked what you say here about the differences of the usual tropes. I feel that this drama in general is really a fresh take on the different reverse roles played out. It keeps me hooked onto even the dullest of characters. With the raw episodes, I had skipped through some of Ming Cheng and Qiu Jing’s scenes, but now that these episodes are subbed I am getting more invested in their banter. The guy who usually ‘shuts them down’ is now totally flabbergasted and as you mentioned, he’s now rendered speechless! It’s fun to watch. 

And regarding the mean girl and ZS’s classmate: oh, they have a purpose! lol It may not really be the truest form of angst, but this isn’t a melodramatic Kdrama. However, jealousy can lead people to do unexpectedly dramatic things. :rolleyes: How these two are linked to our main leads...well I won’t say more. :D

Thanks @Jafstar

 

Yes, I feel like this drama brings something new to a lot of the tropes even the aloof CEO and cute, cheerful younger girl cliche is much fresher here.

 

So mean girl and art classmate do have a bigger purpose! I thought there was a little too much emphasis on her art classmate considering his small role so far. I'm looking forward to the further plot developments :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@raziela @pad-hari If I may add my thoughts about XF’s “interest” in FF and ZS...I feel that he’s more interested right now in his “older sisters” welfare. Yes, he may have attraction to FF that he isn’t yet aware of yet or not ready to explore, but his attention is more focused on who these girls are associating with. I mean, he’s fully aware of how WQ can be a bully, and he obviously doesn’t like the Uncle. These young women are XF’s “home” now; they provide shelter, food, and company that he’s not had for a very long time. They give him warmth and dote on him in a way that his “older brother” in the orphanage did. So surely he’s wanting to preserve that line and protect his sisters. Though his efforts may seem clumsy and infantile, and end up with him needing their assistance...but that is the beauty of XF. lol.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jafstar said:

@raziela @pad-hari If I may add my thoughts about XF’s “interest” in FF and ZS...I feel that he’s more interested right now in his “older sisters” welfare. Yes, he may have attraction to FF that he isn’t yet aware of yet or not ready to explore, but his attention is more focused on who these girls are associating with. I mean, he’s fully aware of how WQ can be a bully, and he obviously doesn’t like the Uncle. These young women are XF’s “home” now; they provide shelter, food, and company that he’s not had for a very long time. They give him warmth and dote on him in a way that his “older brother” in the orphanage did. So surely he’s wanting to preserve that line and protect his sisters. Though his efforts may seem clumsy and infantile, and end up with him needing their assistance...but that is the beauty of XF. lol.

Great post! I fully agree with your take on things.  The flatmates have "adopted" him and they are a little family now ^_^

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:40 PM, raziela said:

Yes, I prefer seeing WQ in "relaxed" mode and casual look. 

 

The detail of WQ having a visible allergic reaction is a good one.  It makes you empathise with him even more and realise how painful and lonely he must be. It must feel like a miracle that after 10 years of suffering Zhou Shi appeared in his life. So even though I don;t agree with his methods, I can understand why he was so desperate to keep her by his side.  He definitely seems to have come alive since meeting Shi Shi.  I was wondering if they forgot about WQ's allergy in episode 12 when his mother slapped him as we didn't see any allergic reaction or maybe her touch doesn't' affect him as she is his mother. 

 

Xiao Fei - I'm not certain he is definitely autistic but I think that's what the drama is implying. I agree it's better they don't explicitly label him as dramas don't usually do a good job with portraying autism and this definitely isn't the right drama to explore that.  I think the girls treat him like a kid because he does act like a child at times and he also looks younger too.  Thanks for the fun fact!  I am surprised that Ning Fei and Wei Qing's actors are the same age :o  I'd like to see an everyday picture of the two actors side by side to see how they look normally.

 

I'm not that interested in Shi Shi's flatmates storylines.  It's obvious the slimy uncle is going to try to use Fei Fei.  I find the scenes between Bi Qiu Jing (the brainy flatmate) and Li Ming Cheng dull. I do like how they are the opposite of the usual tropes and she is totally confident and even arrogant about her intelligence.  She isn't even that interested in him and he is the one who is left speechless every time so far.  I'm also wondering if there's a point to the mean girl schoolmate who tried to trick WQ at the beginning besides being annoying and nasty.  I'm also wondering about Shi Shi's male friend in her art class, it feels like his role might become more significant but I can't guess how.

 

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw Episode 14 is out!!!

 

Yes, seeing Wei Qing actually break out in hives every time somebody touches him really does help the audience feel some sympathy toward him and it does help us to understand the motives behind his actions in regards to the extremes he goes to in order to keep Zhou Shi by his side. 

Regarding Zhou Shi's roommates' storylines, well, I'm the opposite as I am really enjoying both Fei Fei and Bi Qiu Jing ' s road to romance. I love how BQJ is role reversal with Brother Li Meng Cheng, with BQJ being the smarter one and also the one who is more disinterested at first. I find the 2 of them adorable with their connecting over being A+ students and astronomy geeks. So refreshing to see a truly smart female character since most female characters in Chinese dramas are the "dumb but loveable"  type. ( See main female lead ZS) They both are still clueless about their feelings for each other, but I think from what I saw in Ep. 15  that's about to change. As for Fei Fei and Xiao Fei, their storyline isn't anything new, but they are still enjoyable to watch. Fei Fei is already falling for Xiao Fei, but of course trying to deny it because he's just "a kid'. Actually, if i had to choose one story then I would say the XF/FF romance is the one that is least enjoyable for me but that is because I'm not a fan of "noona romances" in general. In this case, it's bothering me because the "older woman/younger man" dynamic feels very unrealistic and forced since the Xiao Fei character is only 2-3 years younger than Fei Fei character.  Regardless, I do like both characters and I'm enjoying their interactions with each other. 

 

Yeah, right now I'll agree that the Art Senior classmate and Campus Beauty mean girl/ex-girlfriend don't seem to be doing much of anything. From what I observed in the opening/closing credits, I think they will have a purpose later in the story. 

 

13 hours ago, Jafstar said:

Sorry to cut your post...but I liked what you say here about the differences of the usual tropes. I feel that this drama in general is really a fresh take on the different reverse roles played out. It keeps me hooked onto even the dullest of characters. With the raw episodes, I had skipped through some of Ming Cheng and Qiu Jing’s scenes, but now that these episodes are subbed I am getting more invested in their banter. The guy who usually ‘shuts them down’ is now totally flabbergasted and as you mentioned, he’s now rendered speechless! It’s fun to watch. 

And regarding the mean girl and ZS’s classmate: oh, they have a purpose! lol It may not really be the truest form of angst, but this isn’t a melodramatic Kdrama. However, jealousy can lead people to do unexpectedly dramatic things. :rolleyes: How these two are linked to our main leads...well I won’t say more. :D

 

Totally agree with you regarding Qiu Jing and Ming Cheng. Loving the role reversal in their storyline and how confident and smart QJ is. They do have some nice banter in their scenes together. I find them really cute!

 

12 hours ago, Jafstar said:

@raziela @pad-hari If I may add my thoughts about XF’s “interest” in FF and ZS...I feel that he’s more interested right now in his “older sisters” welfare. Yes, he may have attraction to FF that he isn’t yet aware of yet or not ready to explore, but his attention is more focused on who these girls are associating with. I mean, he’s fully aware of how WQ can be a bully, and he obviously doesn’t like the Uncle. These young women are XF’s “home” now; they provide shelter, food, and company that he’s not had for a very long time. They give him warmth and dote on him in a way that his “older brother” in the orphanage did. So surely he’s wanting to preserve that line and protect his sisters. Though his efforts may seem clumsy and infantile, and end up with him needing their assistance...but that is the beauty of XF. lol.

You make some good points! Agree that for Xiao Fei these girls are more like family for him and he's protecting them. 

 

So, I've seen episodes 14-15, and things are heating up for all 3 couples. First, loved the scenes between BQJ and LMC. She's slowly falling for him but trying to deny it because she knows her friend Zhou Shi has a huge crush on him. As for LMC, he gets so flustered by her but still hasn't admitted to himself that he's romantically attracted to her. However I think things are changing between them after that scene with the astronomy machine with the 2 of them looking at the stars together. The look on LMC face when BQJ put her head on his shoulder-too cute. Zhou Shi is getting the message about LMC feelings after observing that he gave BQJ  the meat that ZS made for him. BQJ is also feeling a little bit jealous about LMC. It was so cute when she urged ZS in her head to strike back at Mean Girl classmate after the classmate was so happy they would both be working at Yun Ma Corporation. 

Fei Fei and Xiao Fei had some nice moments these episodes. FF is already a little bit jealous of ZS being XF favorite. FF can try to tell herself she's going to be with Uncle, but we know the truth after she ran off to rescue XF and then she's buying XF his favorite foods at the grocery store. 

 

Loved the scenes between WQ and ZS these episodes. So nice to see WQ helping ZS and being there as a friend to talk to. It was nice to see them growing closer and having some more serious conversations. I liked their talk by the pool. So nice to see WQ finally tell ZS about his illness-if only she wasn’t drunk at the time! I hope we can see ZS and WQ have a serious conversation when both are sober, and some more friendship moments between the two before they finally become lovers.  Agree with others here that it was nice to see WQ acknowledge that one of the reasons he likes ZS is that he doesn't have an allergic reation to her-nice to see that honesty coming out. But it wasn't the only reason. If only this whole heart to heart hadn't happened with ZS drunk and forgetful.

And kudos to both actors for that hot kissing scene. It was so great to see a natural kiss with both partners participating, instead of the usual awkward stiffness. Agree with others here that Yan Xi is a good kisser. He seems to really know how to play to the camera to get the best angles and help the shot, and I appreciate how both him and Xiu Xiao Nuo are relaxed and responsive with each other-she's actually kissing him back. I could feel the passion! Which was a welcome change for me because often in these Chinese dramas, the kisses are so awkward and stiff, with one partner (or even sometimes both) looking scared/disgusted/bored. So instead of 2 people in love it comes off like one person is assaulting the other person and it takes me right out of the drama.  

 

So, we are now officially halfway through the drama and ZS still doesn't know about WQ illness. I really hope that he tells her the full truth next episode because I want to see them become better friends as they work together to find a cure. Question for the forum:

I did like that WQ told ZS that he likes her because she doesn't make him sick, but on the other hand I'm worried that the drama is making this the main reason he's staying with her. Does he actually get "cured" before the final episode? Is there enough time for WQ to meet other girls that don't make him sick and realize that he likes ZS for who she is as a person? 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love WQ’s true confession to ZS. I need her to at least be open to the idea of being with him, not just MC. She clearly knows her love is one sided. I’m getting impatient & for me starting to get monotonous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Does he actually get "cured" before the final episode? Is there enough time for WQ to meet other girls that don't make him sick and realize that he likes ZS for who she is as a person? 

 

Err...maybe? and yes. :lol: All in good time...:D

  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jafstar said:

 

Err...maybe? and yes. :lol: All in good time...:D

 

11 hours ago, angelangie said:

 

actually your worries is valid .....

 

what running thru your mind is also what running thru WeiQing mind too :D 

 

Thanks for responding @Jafstar and @angelangie   I'll take comfort in @Jafstar's "yes" reply.  I really do hope that WQ does get cured before the end of the drama and has some interactions with other girls who also don't make him sick so he can realize that he truly loves ZS for her personality and who she is as a person. Otherwise, the message of the drama will be he's just with her because he can't be with anyone else, and that would be disappointing for me. 

On a positive note, subtitles for this drama are coming out rather quickly which is great. I hope that we can get 4 episodes a week since there are 2 teams working on the subs, I think.  I'm so addicted to this drama, LOL. The wait for the next episode is killing me! LOL!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

I'm so addicted to this drama, LOL. The wait for the next episode is killing me! LOL!

 

ROFL!!!! Now THAT’S the enthusiasm for AIL that I appreciate greatly. :D 

Drama Addiction Land: Its where I have been for the past few months since stumbling across AIL. Happy to know that @angelangie and I aren’t the only ones on soompi that are addicted. When AIL was still all raws, I’d watch all the episodes over and over in case I missed something. Do you know the TW drama called “ToGetHer”? Jiro Wang and Raine Yang. It’s old school, classic, the theme beat never gets old. One of my old time favorites if you can’t tell, seen it over and over til my DVDs are scratched. That’s what “AIL” feels like to me now. It’s fun, not boring (well...maybe in some places), and I can repeat watch till I’m satisfied. Now that the subs are flying out weekly, I can’t wait till it’s all done and I can binge watch it all the way through. AIL is low-key, but at the same time, it has this pull that sucker punches you in till you feel like you’re suction cupped to the window. Or maybe that’s just how I feel about it...lol. Happy to know there’s more out there who are addicted. :lol: :wub:

  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...