[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

Seri's mother seems to know more about her than the father. She never seemed as excited about Seri as the father, and at times had some concerned look. Seri has been staying with her mother's sister in the US, so they probably know more about her, though they too were fooled by her.

• Like 6

Woow.. congrats SKY Castle for highest rating so far, 12,3% and it already topped JTBC drama rating all the time over Woman in Dignity. And keep rising.. :thumbsup:

Yes, so many secrets reveal, Kim Hyena, Cha Seri, and now Kim Jooyoung --- she's total psycho!! :scream:

preview eps13.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, AlexandraReid said:

8. [+856,-16]
When Pa Gook finds out that his daughter lied, the drama will record it's highest ratings. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA I agree!!

Episode 12 was...daebak. This show pulls no punches. My heart was in my throat. Not makjang at all. 

Yeh Suh Omma is having her awakening, now that her daughter is for the first time pulling away from her - that's what parenting a teenager is like, isn't it?

Even at 20 episodes, it isn't dragging anything out. I'm guessing the scenes they added were Kang Joo Sang's hospital cronyism and the doctors' antics. 

Oh Nara is a star and I'm so glad she's being given the chance to shine. I think besides Woo Joo's mom she's the mom most honest with her feelings. And her son's line killed me.

I have a feeling there's more to Kim Joo Young...so my hubby was right about her faking her connection to Yeon Du...but...how is she getting her whole troupe of trainers to follow her? Just because she's paying them well? Intriguing and I sure hope the show doesn't make her out to be a one-dimensional villain. And I wonder if Yeh Suh or Woo Joo's mom will be the one to find out about Kay.

Writers often insert themselves in the story somehow and I think that's Woo Joo's mom, the truth seeker - who isn't always the wisest and is sometimes even manipulated, but eventually breaks through to the truth.

I'm glad all the moms, one by one, are having their own "awakening" to the consequences of their actions.

It's gift to all of us is it makes us think and reflect on our own actions as parents/kids too. 

Can't wait for more!!

• Like 10

I binged watched both eps of SKY Castle this week. And, I abandoned Memories of Alhambra and Encounter... this show is just too addictive!

Thank you @icemaid for the English song lyrics. "People cheat each other, right?" What a song for this social commentary. 

Even though I'm not Korean, I think the education focus is so apt. It's the same in every Asian country, especially the mother's attitude. 

I think in ep 11 and 12, Jin Jin really shone. Many years ago, I watched an American vampire sitcom (could be Buffy, I forgot), where the characters had a curse. One of the main characters could "hear" what the other characters were thinking in their heads, and also match it to what they said. Everyone said something different to their thought, except the school bimbo, who did not filter any line and said exactly what she thought. Jin Jin is this character in Sky Castle. It is refreshing to watch Jin Jin's character in this manipulative drama.

I find that I can perfectly understand these highly-debated-by-netizen characters: Han Suh Jin, Ye Suh, Hye Na, Kim Joo Young. Each of them have clearly defined characters and motivations and intentions.

Sure, maybe we're not too sure what Hye Na wants to do. But, she has been forced by Han Suh Jin to drop her desired choice, which is to run for school president. Why should Hye Na give up for the sake of Ye Suh? She clearly got the popular vote. Just so that Ye Suh can be elected, the only way is for the opponent to drop out, because Ye Suh is just so unpopular. Maybe her mom is just goody-goody and doesn't want to burden her Professor father Dr. Kang, but Hye Na has the right to inform her father that he has an additional child. 

What is ironic is, Hye Na is what arrogant Dr. Kang expects of himself. Little aid, no additional curriculum or volunteer work, but still gets top in class. Hye Na is living the 'ideal child' path of Dr. Kang's imagination.

Something interesting is from netizen's comments, I think Professor Cha is really popular! Everyone wants him to be happy. That really tickles me. 

Urgh, the scriptwriter is killing this drama and I am so hooked. How can we last for the next 8 episodes?! There is so much air-time and already in ep 12 there were 3 bombs dropped. I keep clutching my heart and wondering how the Kang family will turn out?! How are they going to end this show?! 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

1. [+2842,-22] 
Hye Na isn't a normal person too. She doesn't shed tears and be kind, she is spiteful and is practical. She's really smart too. I wonder how the scariest character will change. 

2. [+1792,-40]
I agree with what Young Jae's father said. Why is Lee SooIm trying to make atonement for what she did through Young Jae? Thinking of changing the world with someone else's misfortune, that doesn't work. My child won't become that way. Just like Ye Seo's mother. The world would only curse at Young Jae for sure. 

3. [+1339,-14]
It's been a long while, looks like Jung Joon Ho has finally got a role that matches him... 

4. [+1187,-17]
I think Se Ri didn't really go to Harvard
.... Pa Gook-ssi is going to faint.. 

5. [+965,-224]
Lee Tae Ran's character is really annoying. Isn't she driving one member of a family into the sewers for the sake of the society?

6. [+510,-1]

Oh Na Ra looked so pretty after getting her hair pulled and all messed up. How did she make her hair so pretty while lying down that way? 

7. [+360,-29]
This kind of smells 
like makjang now....  Scriptwriter, aren't you turning Hye Na into a psychopath now? ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ  She's a shrewd character, but I could understand her because she's pitiful. But she was totally a psychopath today... She walked around while biting an apple as if she won't get caught. She looked around the study and got caught ridiculously. And she treated the housekeeper however she wanted....? 

8. [+316,-22]
I like that Hye Na isn't just a kind and typical Cinderella character. Since her opponent is Kwak Mi Hyang, she should at least be at that level. 

9. [+291,-31]
But why is she trying to take revenge?? If he knew and pretended not to know, that makes sense. But her mother gave birth to her secretly on her own, isn't it..??? I'm kind of speechless~~

10. [+274,-10]

I've always been on Lee Tae Ran's side, but I'm changing my mind today.... She's nosy... If she really hasconscience, she shouldn't be insisting to write a novel to atone for her past. If the person involved doesn't want it to be written, she shouldn't write it.... 

To me these comments are the issue with Korea so many ignorant people against Lee Tae Ran sure she has faults but i dont think shes doing anything maliciously. These type's of people commenting would ignore suicide or children being cut or would ignore the next door neighbours child abuse. Im glad someone like Lee Tae Ran is fighting against the people on the show and these idiotic comments. 

Yeah shes nosy because these families are messed up and need someone nosy to protect the children from idiotic parents. 

Sure if someone involved does not want it written i agree with that stance but she can just change who its written about and still get to the point of the story.

Shes writing the novel to expose the issues which still exist is Korea pretty obviously from these comments. 
  • Like 8

Suddenly why am I noticing all these snow white/Cinderella references. The apple left on the desk. Hyena almost being abondoned in the lonely woods by "step mom". The two step sisters and the way step mom has treated Hyena and the way the two fought each other reminds me of Cinderella. Unfortunately the god mother is very evil and has her own agenda!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Got busy with holiday preps and real life. Got time so I'm now binge watching the 4 episodes. . And yes this is still the best currently airing drama.  I know a good drama when I watch one. :)

Round of applause for them! And for the ahjjushis as well.

And for for the young actors.  Terrific acting. Thumbs up Kim Bora as Hyena.

So carefree all smiles when off scene. My favorite in the middle.

She stays strong and still ranks 1st in her school despite her mom passing away and finding out that Kang Joonsang is her father..

-She's just not your typical girl..

-I don't like her character, though..

-She's just so tough.. 

-I know right.. She's so strong. Her mom passed away but it doesn't affect her scores..

-I somehow find her really annoying, though..

-She's still young and yet she has a really strong mental. On top of that, she's smart. She's going to success on whatever she chooses to do..

-I like her a lot.. I hope she gets to be happy, our Hyena..<3

-Kang Joonsang's genes are so amazing..

-I like Hyena a lot.. She doesn't act or pretend to be tough, she is tough..

-I can't imagine how I would be if I were in her shoes.. She's amazing..

-I like how she's really witty..ㅋㅋㅋ She can't be fooled..ㅋㅋ

-I somehow don't really like her..ㅠㅠ I don't even know why..ㅠㅠ

-There are some scenes that make her look spiteful, but I hope things will turn out well for her character. This drama is so good..

-She scares me..

• Like 4

Haven't watched Ep 12 but have watched Ep 11.  I love the Cinderella/Snow White analogy pointed out by @angelbeast90.  Hye Na is an interesting conundrum.  I have read comments about her not 'crying' as much as she should.  All she has done is redirected her grief more 'positively'?  She cried at the funeral but she wiped her tears away because she now wants 'payback'.  No-one else will right the wrong or see justice done for her Mother, so she will do it. She grabs the apple from the dining table (which she was banned from) and swans around the house as if she owned the place.  Initially I thought she was just out for revenge on the whole family but her little projections of how life should be reveals her desire to be family with daddy and YeBin (no step Mother in the frame at all).  She has painted SJ and YeSuh as her enemies.  She has basically stepped into YeSuh's spot in her dream state.  She wants to become the "Apple in her father's eye"... :huh:. She is doing to SJ what she did to EunHye (Hye Na's Mother).  She of the lowly class, staking her claim on the same man SJ/MiHyang(?) did so many years ago.

And an honorable mention - the quintessential Asian 'humble brag' about children's achievements...so typified in that party for SeRi upon her return from Harvard (which we know to be a farce) and the parental verbal jousts as they talk about their various golden children with 'Bolero' all the while playing in the background.  Sad but O so relevant and true. :mellow: Vicarious living through one's child is so commonplace in the Asian household.

As for that heart wrenching epiphany that YoungJae's Father had as he recounted his thoughts to SooIm in the cabin as to why their story should stay unprinted.  He has a point.  But so does she.  This story comes to mind.

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching.  As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea.  The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning!  May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!” (Adapted from The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley)

EDIT - someone mentioned the focus on hands during the conversation between Coach Kim and SJ.  I am intrigued as well.  I need to rewatch that scene to see if I can guess at what the PD/Writer is trying convey to the viewers.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

As always, episode 12 was amazing!! Couldn't catch my breath until the end!

On 12/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, leeminhosny said:
- She told everyone that she got accepted to both Stanford and Harvard university. Both universities were so fascinated by her math research that they decided to allow her to attend both schools at the same time. She claimed that later however, she would have to choose one university for her diploma once she graduates.
 - Her story went viral in Korea and she was invited to radio shows to talk about it. Her dad hyped it up by doing interviews with local news outlets.
- She showed acceptance letters she received from both universities, which then later proved to be fake. The letters she showed were forgery.
- Both Harvard and Stanford University confirmed that they never sent an acceptance letter to her and have never offered a joint program to any students.
- Her dad in the end apologized for her mess

Guys, do y'all think that the writer of this drama is Lee Soo Im in the drama? The dialogue between Lee Soo Im and Young Jae's dad about whether to write a story on their misfortune became so clear to me after episode 12. The writer is debating whether to use the real-life story of SeRa Kim in that dialogue. She justifies her POV, that she wants to shed light on something affecting families deeply but doesn't know how to reconcile using real-life stories in her "book", this drama. Once she has explained her POV, SeRi comes back home in ep12. Prof Cha now seems very much like the real SeRa's father, smitten, proud and bragging about his daughter's success, like any parent would be. 

The revelation of SeRi's mess was hilarious and sad at the same time. The auntie, so flustered and mixing English and Korean because of her anguish was hilarious, but Seung Hye trying to hide the horrible truth from her ecstatic husband while listening to the revelation was sad, and hilarious. That poker face wasn't happening!:joy: 

Writernim, you be killing it!!

ezgif-1-cf71f1bc9f1d.gif

On 12/30/2018 at 1:43 AM, AlexandraReid said:

Han Seo Jin ㅠㅠ  Please, don't lose to Hye Na. ㅠㅠ 

I want the two to remain evenly matched and spar against one another! I'm currently watching a daily drama where the villain, even as we await the last episode being aired today, has not been arrested, and has committed crimes so evil Koreans complained to KBS about the message the drama is projecting. Murder, assault, fraud... Everyone else in the drama is still in her clutches!!

Episode 12 threw up some interesting insights. when Coach Kim goes back to her apartment and switches on the entertainment system, there's an opera playing, which I Shazam'd. The Opera is ErlKonig, Op1 D. 328, a version by Jeno Jando.

Erlkonig is a poem written by Goethe about the death of a child assaulted by a supernatural being (WiKI). Here's something brief about the poem.

Spoiler

In the ballad a father and son are journeying homeward on horseback at night. The son is ill with a fever and believes he sees and hears the erl-king. The father tells him that the form he sees is only the fog and the sound he hears is only the rustling leaves. Nonetheless, the erl-king wheedles, trying to tempt the boy to come with him. But when the boy again expresses his fear, the erl-king says that if the boy does not come of his own accord, he will be taken forcibly. The father, feeling his son’s fear, spurs his horse on, but when they arrive home, the boy is dead.

It seems that the drama uses the poem to show children are being haunted by the pressures of the education system, but the parents don't listen until the child is dead.

This is an English translation.

Spoiler

Who rides, so late, through night and wind?
It is the father with his child.
He has the boy well in his arm
He holds him safely, he keeps him warm.

"My son, why do you hide your face in fear?"
"Father, do you not see the Elf-king?
The Elf-king with crown and cape?"
"My son, it's a streak of fog."

"You dear child, come, go with me!
(Very) beautiful games I play with you;
Many colorful flowers are on the beach,
My mother has many a golden robe."

"My father, my father, and do you not hear
What the Elf-king quietly promises me?"
"Be calm, stay calm, my child;
Through dry leaves the wind is sighing."

"Do you, fine boy, want to go with me?
My daughters shall wait on you finely;
My daughters lead the nightly dance,
And rock and dance and sing to bring you in."

"My father, my father, and don't you see there
The Elf-king's daughters in the gloomy place?"
"My son, my son, I see it clearly:
There shimmer the old willows so grey."

"I love you, your beautiful form entices me;
And if you're not willing, then I will use force."
"My father, my father, he's touching me now!
The Elf-king has done me harm!"

It horrifies the father; he swiftly rides on,
He holds the moaning child in his arms,
Reaches the farm with great difficulty;
In his arms, the child was dead.

You can read the poem history and translation here,

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Erlkonig

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlkönig_(Goethe)

As I said before, whoever is doing the scoring for dramas this year needs a raise and a holiday!! Amazing stuff in so many dramas!

As always, SKY Castle with the hilariousness.

JinJin in shock

ezgif-1-fc785c20bef9.gif

Now that her secret is out Su jin doesn't even bother pretending to be nice anymore!! lol! 

Spoiler

ezgif-1-71c2a76b0610.gif

Watching Coach Kim as she watches her daughter.... I know she mostly plays the villain, but her acting chops are amazing!! And she looked super Kawaii in the drama press conference!

Spoiler

ezgif-1-13b46938e1c6.gif

Hopefully these gifs can stay in place......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @africandramalover for that tidbit about the opera.  I was wondering what it was because it would've been significant.  After reading that and with the background of what transpired in Ep12 (it always bugged me where Kay's Father was?), I am wondering if both the Father and Kay ended up in that accident?  Jennifer (Coach Kim) was accused of staging the death of her Husband?  Was it revenge for what happened to Kay or was it linked and Kay was collateral damage (wrong place at the wrong time - like the poem suggests)?  This statement keeps popping up so it must be significant  "when the parents' joy is at its fullest, you crush it". The same with the earlier case of the boy who got into SNU and took his own life after the first year in Med school (crushing the parents' joy).  Coach Kim is the link.  She was the last to speak to that boy (so there goes the truth of her statement about how her relationship with her charges ends once they get into SNU).   She delivers the joy to the parents but deliberately crushes it.  She is obviously miserable about Kay...she is tormented by the 'loss of potential'.  My guess is that she can't stand that others have that joy when it was ripped out of her hands due to Kay's condition after the accident.  So she chooses in her own very deranged way to assuage the guilt and disappointment by doing the same to other families. :blink:

As for the focus on hands?  Both occasions are when Coach Kim is facing off the different mothers (SJ and SI) in separate instances.  It is often said that when you are not absolutely truthful (we all lie - the OST) our body gives us away more so than our faces or words (especially if you are in close quarters and talking face to face).  We hide our true intentions but our hands play out what is truly on our minds...our palms get sweaty and we try to dry them off on our pants/clothes.  We wring our hands...we clutch them together to steady our nerves.  Of course if we don't want the other party to catch on, we will try our best to keep them hidden...under the table...holding a cup...so I think that's what the PD/Writer was trying to convey in those scenes.

On 30 December 2018 at 4:17 PM, 122am said:

Something interesting is from netizen's comments, I think Professor Cha is really popular! Everyone wants him to be happy. That really tickles me. 

Question is why isn't Prof Hwang the one on the top of the popularity list?  He is the perfect Father, Husband, doctor.  Methinks it's because he is the western ideal.  Not the Eastern patriarch which is the epitome for most Asian families.  Prof Cha maintains his position as 'head' of his family, he remains the authority figure despite his woeful teaching methods.  SH is the retiring Wife, yes she has her own mind (ramen for dinner :lol:) but she works around his authority gently and tactfully (the Asian way).  So for the majority of Koreans, the Cha family is the one they are the most comfortable with.

Honorable mention JinJin and her Son SooHan.  This time Prof Hwang to the rescue (last time his Wife SI with YehBin).  Both SJ and JinJin resolve their differences with their runaway children differently.  Communication is key.  Both Mother and child acknowledging their parts in the disagreement...to hear that you have have pushed your child so far to the brink that they wished they hadn't been born is heart wrenching beyond belief.  I am glad that both reconnected at the most base level of love and the scene finishes with hugs on the bed and the camera pans out to focus on the happy family photo once more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If I am as rich as the Kang's, I would've hired the best P. I. to do a background check on Coach Kim as soon as I smell something fishy. I mean, they're rich right? Why don't they hire a P. I.? 

About Coach Kim, she uses the desires of the student to get into SNU. I want to know more about Kay and her husband... 

Hyena is now the scariest person in the whole bunch. She wants to replace Yehseo. In her imaginations you can only see her dad and Yebin who accepts her. SeoJin and YehSeo are nowhere to be found. 

Actually, all the kids in Sky Castle are ticking bombs. I want to know more about them too.

• Like 6

While the story about Coach Kim is very interesting, I fear it's taking away a little bit from the main message. Coach Kim is a highly special case, few people would have access to someone like her. Her personal situation and "solution" to it are both, let's say, quite unique. But the problems related to educational pressure is definitely widespread especially in Korea, even with no Coach Kim.

YoungJae's dad isn't wrong to say that most people will read these stories and blame the parents. It's not a wrong thing to do. The parents are the ones who are the closest to the child and have the most power over them. Even if Coach Kim is bad, it's the parents who entrust the children to her, signing everything off to her in exchange for _their_ wish of putting their children into top universities.

The story should be about the parents. Though it doesn't mean still that other parents reading the story will realize their mistakes. People like to blame others and not themselves. Some may reflect upon themselves, but others, like Yesuh's mother, would just say, our family doesn't have the same problem as YoungJae's and my child is different from their child.

• Like 5

On 12/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, Nanana85 said:

Eps 12 preview.. omg.. chills.. :cry:

I agree Kim Bora acting is daebak, she can balance her seniors acting. No wonder, she's an child actress, has so much project done, now it's her time to shine. She deserve the recognition.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:38 AM, justamom said:

I just watched Episode 11 and OMG! Kim Bora and Yeon Jung Ah were OUTSTANDING.

Best new actress award right there to Kim Bora....great episode!

I agree! after watching the episode. Slow clap!  what  good acting. Kim Bora deserves the praise and recognition as Hyena.

She's got the the upper hand you know. She was the one who made the condition. Hah. She wasn't even considering to be a live in tutor...until  Yeh Suh blurted out to not even think of  doing so.

As for Has Suh Jin.I don't feel sorry for her at all not even to Yeh Suh, they brought it upon themselves this misery.  Heck,  she begged  and knelt down in front of the coach Kim so she know what the consequence. Granted that Yeh Suh determined to  pass and go to SNU, she still subjected to methods and ways of the coach knowing what happened to Young Jae.  Yeh Suh is arrogant and show off and likes to brag The fall from grace and reality is if fails to go to SNU. 

As for Seri.... She might even know  something about "Jennifer".  Prof. Cha.. omg.. that priceless reaction once he finds out  precious and proud daughter did not even attend Harvard. I can see myself bursting out. I really love  Prof. Cha's family. The actor playing him... Thumbs up! I always like his scenes.

And Jin Jin.... despite being the  wacky funny one, she's aware of the difficulties and feelings of Soo Han. I felt uneasy though didn't think Soo Han will be the one to run away and doing the unthinkable.

Episode 13 preview, I feel uneasy the way coach and  Yeh Suh  scene in the "meditation room". I'll probably feel bad for Yeh Suh. Remember when I asked (after watching episode 2) who will be the one to reach breaking point... You think it's Yeh Suh?

Also the back story for "Jennifer of  Fairfax, Virginia" will come to light. We'll see why coach turned our that way. I want to know more about Kay. Oh and the return of Young Jae.. every secrets going to unfold.

OMG I'm sooooo waiting for Prof. Cha's reaction. Yup. It's going to be priceless!

• Like 3