[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

On 12/19/2018 at 12:17 AM, jongski said:

@africandramalover Do I want a divorce? Probably not. It's about family and their children and the elitism. I also will feel bad for HSJ I don't like her but in hindsight ...she's doing.. she got into this as she doesn't want to go back to her poor past. Only the mother in law knows about the lies and the her background. After reading Young Jae's diary, she changed her mind and  removed coach from being the tutor but  the mother in law holds the power (and whatever she demands, she has to do it.. and that's to get YS SNU) and so she begged and knelt down in front of the coach to take  Yeh Sub back knowing the full consequence of her actions and reading the diary.  She has to open her eyes to reality.. because of her status she thinks everything is handed to her on silver platter but that's because she climb up the social circle to have that elite status.  Prof Cha is like the female version of HSJ.. he's not the one who's got the wealth and power it's his wife. But credit (okay, fine) to him cos he is intelligent and smart even if he failed in his political ambition. He thought marrying a congressman's daughter will be enough but not to be.   NSH has husband that pushes her boundaries and test her limits while HSJ, it's more of her main foe is the mother in law.

Agreed with all of you have said. Prof. Kang is only 'pawn' or catalyst for HSJ to reach and maintain her position on top class right now and the MIL has always been the one she has been eyeing for approval. Their marriage built on shaky foundation and the impending arrival of Hye Na in Sky Castle may be the reason the foundation to waver even more, yet I have to agree once more that whether they will part their ways or not is not something that has to be highlighted or even the main focus. I hope the writers have their own ways to end this series nicely with every families get their own closures or maybe have change of mind on how to nurture and groom their kids. May HSJ be granted penance for what she has been doing.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, africandramalover said:

Do you wonder how these couples even got together? How on earth did Prof Cha get SeungHye to marry him? Or even have children? lol! JinHee probably beat down Yang Woo and dragged him to the altar. He is the "My wife is a gangster" kind of man. Thinking about their courtships amuses me to no end. 

I hope so!! Jennifer from Fairfax needs to be exposed! That's the problem with being an immigrant.... your country-mates who would otherwise not know you if you were back in your country now know all your dirt in the foreign country!

Do you think the children will rebel if and when the reason for the break up of YoungJae's family comes to light? The twins may become braver in facing their father and his methods...

Despite the mess that was the last two episodes of MISTY, I will still watch anything by that writer.:joy: There have been some outstanding dramas this year, but we are living in a post-My Ahjussi world now... The bar is too high!

LOL even with every fam dynamics, I sometimes wonder why every couples ended up together. For Prof. Cha, I believe (and from past dramas with rich man's daughter characteristic) he either convinced NSH's dad to allow him to marry his daughter or won NSH's heart through his persuasion (since he is so good with words and rather stubborn) that NSH was brave enough to 'oppose' her dad to marry someone came from lower class. JH and her hen-pecked hubby already too transparent to predict and HSJ and Prof. Kang already had their plot unraveled in front of us. Maybe there's more than meet the eyes for Soo Im and Prof. Hwang, and for Prof. Hwang, I sincerely hope that he is a genuinely kind person, but there's always something bugging me that had me wondered if Prof. Hwang's character is (intentionally made by the writers) upright and just or is he actually hiding behind some kind of veil?

Fairfax Jennifer has to be revealed too! I want more of her past, what triggered her to be transformed into something sinister like right now and what her relation to Kay and more letting her hair down LOL

IMO, Misty started off good but started to losing its way after the first half of the series, hence the trainwreck of a storyline towards the end. I had high expectation with it and still had to come to terms to accept the ending. Well anyway, the moral of the story, don't feed and follow your ambition

Edited by vereina17
  • Like 7

I'm somewhere in the middle of episode 5 now, and I'm liking it but it hasn't seized my heart like My Ahjussi. It's gone for my head, rather than my heart, which is also how I felt about Misty ie its extremely thought provoking and interesting, but I'm not shedding tears for anyone yet. I am pumping my fist though!

I actually recognise many of the characters here...guess I've been watching K drama for too long...LOL

Lee Tae Ran is the cram school head from Ahn Pan Seok's A Wife's Dignity. I thought she did a fantastic job there and I'm glad she's been given this role which is much brighter and seems to suit her personality.

Speaking of which, this drama and the whole Daechi-dong business (famous cram school district) reminds me a lot more of A Wife's Dignity than Heard it Through the Grapevine, although the former was more of a love story.

Oh Nara is Jeong Hee from My Ahjussi! :love:

Kim Seo Hyung is Myung Hee from The Good Wife (she was fantastic there and so much better than that awful role in the Great Seducer which was...the most painful drama to watch ever)

Jeong Jun Ho (Ye Suh and Yeh Bin's father) was in IRIS and Queen of Reversals, both huge hits which I plan to but haven't watched :)

Kim Byung Chul - oh come on everyone has seen him before :) I remember him in Descendents of The Sun (flakey commander), oh wow he was also in Love in the Moonlight, Goblin, Mr Sunshine

Jo Jae Yun is someone else we all know also - he was also in DOTS (the corrupt businessman I think) and I also saw him in Liar's Game and more recently in the Ma Dong Sun movie Outlaws!

Not forgetting the famous mother in law Jung Aeri! Most recently in Bab Noona,  Temperature of Love, Angel Eyes and many many more...

• Like 7

Yesterday I was thinking of scenarios that may or may not happen in this drama. I was thinking what if one of the kids thinks its too much studying and decide to become a celebrity/idol . I think the parents will go mad out of their minds to stop something like that happening.

• LOL 2

JTBC #SKYCastle # 스카이 캐슬 is JTBC's # 2 ranked series. <No #ChildlessComfort> currently airs 8 episodes, making it nearly 10%. The ep.8 has a rating of 9.539%. Producer pointed out that the decision to add an episode of 16 episodes to 20 episodes occurred before #SKY 캐슬 would air on the first episode

Edited by Vo Ki Trieu
Add source
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Vo Ki Trieu said:

JTBC #SKYCastle # 스카이 캐슬 is JTBC's # 2 ranked series. <No #ChildlessComfort> currently airs 8 episodes, making it nearly 10%. The ep.8 has a rating of 9.539%. Producer pointed out that the decision to add an episode of 16 episodes to 20 episodes occurred before #SKY 캐슬 would air on the first episode

Hi hi silent reader here! 

Thanks for the news article regarding the extension of episodes to 20. 

The original link is here: http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23228018&cloc=

It is said that the production team decided to extend by 4 ep even before the 1st ep was even aired. They found the story to be really good even though the script was only at episode 7 at that time. 

Despite being worried for the 1% rating for ep 1, as the ratings grew from ep 2 onwards, they are filming the drama with a "hwaiting" energy.

;)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 4

Congrats SKY Castle for highest rating so far, I believe eps10 will reach double digit. Cant wait for watching full eps, I just monitoring at twitter feed and someone mention ep 9 it all about SooIm's story, and there's connection between Sooim and coach Kim? I saw yt clip and the back story of KJY reveal as she has a daughter that dies from an accident? So who is Kai? Still so much mistery and plot twist.

And Cha Seri is not appear yet, i guess she will at the end of eps 10 to left another cliffhanger?

Lol this is so funny, he's had a very bad dreams. Dr Woo, i hope you choose best doctor to doing your surgery..:sweatingbullets:

• Like 4

I'm so hooked on this drama, I caught up all eps within this week and just read the post above (thank you @sljj) that it has extended to 20 eps. 

Sometimes story extensions may end up draggy so fingers crossed that this will not be the case. 

I also read some analysis that the story about Hye Na's birth secret may become makjang in nature, with the plot following her. I hope not.

Lastly, I did some research and seems like the writer did not have any work from 2014 till now. She must have been working hard on this script, and that's why it is so good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nanana85 said:

Congrats SKY Castle for highest rating so far, I believe eps10 will reach double digit. Cant wait for watching full eps, I just monitoring at twitter feed and someone mention ep 9 it all about SooIm's story, and there's connection between Sooim and coach Kim? I saw yt clip and the back story of KJY reveal as she has a daughter that dies from an accident? So who is Kai? Still so much mistery and plot twist.

In the flashback, her daughter suffered some head trauma and was predicted to not be able to lead a normal life even if she would wake up. Kai is probably that daughter. We know it wasn't because of overstudying. The flashback also showed her saying "this is not my daughter" or something like that as she was told the news---she couldn't handle the fact that her daughter would not be able to live a normal life, and we see that in the present she couldn't bring herself to seeing her daughter and only asked her subordinate to pass the crayons for her.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cinnyangel said:

In the flashback, her daughter suffered some head trauma and was predicted to not be able to lead a normal life even if she would wake up. Kai is probably that daughter. We know it wasn't because of overstudying. The flashback also showed her saying "this is not my daughter" or something like that as she was told the news---she couldn't handle the fact that her daughter would not be able to live a normal life, and we see that in the present she couldn't bring herself to seeing her daughter and only asked her subordinate to pass the crayons for her.

Yes I guessed wrong that Kay's condition was the result of over study.  Which leads me to question what Coach Kim's motives are then with her very unorthodox methods?  She seemed to be in a state of utter denial when the doctor gave her the prognosis of Kay's condition.  It was the result of an 'accident' though?  Something that would cause so severe head trauma could potentially only be the result of a car accident?  A fall from a great height?  Was her denial an indication that it was somehow due to her negligence?  She seemed very upset after she read the children's book that SooIm wrote?  Was her coaching an extension of her 'mothering' instincts?  A means to assuage her guilt over Kay?  Thus far, she's been the most interesting conundrum to solve in the drama.

Hye Na seems to have turned her grief into misdirected anger?  I am not sure what her true intentions are in her dealings with the Kang family.  She seem to be fluctuating between a desire for acceptance and revenge.  Maybe a mix of both?

Prof Hwang is fast becoming my favourite character in the drama.  A Korean Atticus Finch.  Indominitable.  Quiet reserve, yet donning on his white knight armor and charging in defence of his wife's honor when the chips are down. :wub:. He listens attentively, never lords it over SooIm, giving her enough rein to make her own choices, and stays firmly in her support corner when necessary.  He leaves her to deal with the womanfolk whilst he takes it up with Prof Kang outside, choosing NOT to dishonor him in a public setting in front of his wife and others, but man to man in private.  Notice how SooIm utilizes that same tact?  She tells everyone to vacate the room before taking the matter up with SeoJin?  Respect begets respect.  

• Like 6

On 12/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, justamom said:

I actually recognise many of the characters here...guess I've been watching K drama for too long...LOL

Since i'm not watching many drama, i recognize most for Yoon SeA. I watched her in Gentleman Dignity, My Sassy Girl (2017), and Stranger (Secret Forest). I love her character as Noh Seunghye in Sky Castle. such an beautiful, clever, and elegant lady :wub:

5 hours ago, cinnyangel said:

Thank you for the insight, will catch up eps 9 soon :)

• Like 4

Ahhhh I can't believe I stayed up this late to catch up on all the episodes.....finally watched till ep 9 and I take back my words. This show has captured both my head and heart. Yeondu's story, and Woo Joo's mom's connection to her, that stole my heart.

I can't believe how well this show has captured all the tiny psychological nuances, including how Kang Joon Sang and Han Seo Jin, the ones at the top of the pyramid, outwardly pretend to be the most humble, forgiving and generous people on earth, the ones who always have to say the right sounding things.

And I love how the other two ladies Jin Jin and particularly Seung Hye seem to be finally growing a spine (ahem ahem!) to all the Sky Castle nonsense.

Loving every minute!

Resisting the urge to peek at ep 10...but I might just...!

edit: So I’m in the middle of 10 now and it’s just struck me. The REAL Sky Castle isn’t Sky Castle. It’s the house where Coach has imprisoned her daughter Yeon Du. And Su Im’s real purpose in the story is to free her.

• Like 6

Although we were shown the scene of a doctor telling Fairfax Jennifer about the child being hit by a car, I won't discount that it wasn't a result of overstudying.  

Perhaps, as a result of her style of coaching her daugther, ie, the end justifies any means, her daughter tried to commit suicide by standing in a roadway.

And, since Fairfax Jennifer refused to accept that what happened to her daughter was a result of her coaching methods, she  is trying to validate that her coaching methods are correct with these other students.

Warp logic of warp people is the bane of the world. :blink:Just check your daily world news reports.:P

• Like 6

[SKY Castle] Ep 9 spoilers, Yum Jung Ah x Lee Tae Ran x Kim Seo Hyung

Article: Naver 'SKY Castle' "Let Kim Bo Ra in" Kim Seo Hyung finds out about Kim Bo Ra's 'blood-related father=Jung Jun Ho' and makes an 'unexpected' suggestion towards Yum Jung Ah 

1. [+2001,-174]
I don't understand the part about Lee Soo Im writing a novel too. If she wants to write a novel about something that happened, it's natural that she has to ask the family of the deceased, like Young Jae's father for permission. She's being  burdensome under the name of 'justice'. 

2. [+1343,-16]
Jung Jun Ho releases some tension in the drama with his sloppiness and foolish acts. Kim Seo Hyung's brutal plans scenes increases the tension again... It's so fun. 

3. [+1032,-133]
I can understand Hye Na for a hundred, thousand times. In that kind of environment, she has to do that to survive. 

4. [+397,-13]
Seriously, this drama is an expert of endings. 

5. [+296,-2]
Kim Joo Young coordi's daughter was severely injured on the head, and was receiving treatment. In the middle of that, as soon as she hears that her daughter's brain was damaged, she denied her daughter and abandoned her. She's a bad mother. And since her child is ruined, she's out to destroy other families' children too. I think she's a scary woman. A demon. 

6. [+295,-20]
No, but it didn't make sense in the middle... Rummaging through Hye Na's room. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I went, "eh?" after watching that. To find out about Hye Na's secret, it's a necessary scene, but how did they invade her room..? That was the most disappointing scene today. 

7. [+238,-2]
At the place where Ye Seo's grandmother is doing volunteering work, that woman is the one who knows teacher Kim Joo Young from USA, right? She asked about Kay the last time at the restaurant... 

Article: Naver 'SKY Castle' Kim Seo Hyung's past revealed, denies her brain-damaged daughter, "Not my daughter" 

1. [+124,-1]
In this world, no one is completely good nor bad.. If you turn a kind person around, that person can turn into a bad person. A fox like Yum Jung Ah is just a very loving mother towards Ye Bin and Ye Seo... This drama portrays this point really well. 

2. [+87,-3]
Ah, I'm going crazy... It's so interesting. Wow... It's insane. 

3. [+33,-1]
If you're not experiencing it firsthand, no matter how much people around you tells you about it, you don't know. That's the beginning of a tragedy. 

4. [+30,-0]
Their acting is amazing... 

5. [+15,-0]
As expected, everyone is too immersed that there are no comments. 

6. [+9,-0]
Sorry, 'I Live Alone'. I'll watch the rerun. This drama is really making me curious!!!! 

7. [+7,-0]
I thought there is something warm hidden like maternal love about Kim Seo Hyung... The more I see her, she seems like a psycho who is unable to feel emotions... She's even making use of Yeon Du... She does everything she can to reach her goal. That's kind of scary.. 

8. [+6,-3]

I looked up the scriptwriter for this drama. It's scriptwriter Yoo Hyun Mi, but I didn't watch any of her previous works. This is really daebak. Every character is alive, the director who did the directing well is amazing, editing is amazing, actors with great acting skills are amazing too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been reading about viewers who think SooIm is a busybody and meddlesome and shouldn't be sticking her nose into other people's business.  There seems to be a fair number of people in that bandwagon.  Thinking that she has overstepped her boundaries.  I think that's the allure of Sky Castle.  It often leaves me wondering what  I would do  given the same situation and it also makes me reassess my actions past and present with regards to social systems set in place.

Is the backlash against SooIm more a reflection on the people accusing her of standing up against an entrenched system because it makes them out to be bystanders with their hands in their pockets?  So they tear her down because it shows them up to be 'ordinary' and makes them feel justified for the stance that they have taken?  Would I have stepped in to try to do something about YeunDo's self harm or just accepted it as "everyone's done all they could and really it's none of my business" like everybody else?  Because the reality is, when I do step in (like SooIm did and does now), it inevitably rocks the boat because I am behaving 'out of the ordinary' and it means I have now 'taken ownership' of the problem.  It is no longer someone else's problem to fix, it is mine...and I own the responsibility of the success and indeed the failure of my actions in trying to remedy the situation.  So SooIm suffers for ownership of the problem, she feels guilt from not doing enough to help YeunDo, probably none of the other teachers would have felt that because they never stepped in?  It is very counter cultural and radical.  I applaud her for her courage.  Without SooIm, there would be no conversation because people would not have their consciences pricked or have to deal with these hard questions.

• Like 6