Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018] The Beauty Inside Drama Remake, 뷰티 인사이드

Sorry to take you guys back to Episode 13 but in view that I’d have to wait another 8 hours to understand what they are talking about in Episode 14, thought I’d then try to catch up with the rest of you on the ‘reflections’ bit...

Episode 12 and 13 was probably one of the pair of potentially thought-provoking episodes in my opinion because I personally became vested into the question of “am I able to love this person who is now a 70 year-old man” ?  A part of me was really quite repulsed by the form that HSG took in episode 12 and I’m quite ashamed of it.  It really made me think whether I was so attracted to SHJ’s beautiful exterior and it really didn’t sink in when the screen time of her previous cameos were quite brief / short so much so that I didn’t feel any negativity to them.  In fact, at some point I even felt that the changes were quite cute to some extent and even just a slight inconvenience that could be easily overcome.

However the latest switch was quite a bomb in my face.  I actually felt ‘urgh’ in my mind... what a freckled old man with a raspy, slightly rough voice that was hard on the ears... it was really jarring and a real wake-up call to how I personally “saw” people. How I perceived beauty and how our inner biasness could be so camouflaged until a really difficult situation is presented to us and we will be able to see our own true preferences. The scenario really struck me.

Therefore it was a bit of a waste that the writer didn’t take that opportunity to challenge the audience’s perspectives and perceptions.  The director also didn’t seem to have given us enough time to figure out how we should have handled this if really the change back was not going to happen... we got a slight sense only on how SDJ felt but weren’t quite able to see it in LMK’s expression (to be fair, it could be difficult to portray the inner struggles...). In that sense, I was hoping somehow in the Episode 13 there could have been more time set aside to address this question and also the fundamental premise of the title of the show.

That said, Episode 13 was also probably the most balanced of all the episodes so far, covering the entire spectrum of friends, foe, family and lovers. There was the comedy and even the loveable King Kang ! In retrospect, the try to balance all that and also provide the appropriate cliffhanger at the end of the episode might have been a editorial challenge for the PD...tough choices but overall, a job well done!

Now I have to be content to wait for the subs for episode 14....

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, kopifan said:

Sorry to take you guys back to Episode 13 but in view that I’d have to wait another 8 hours to understand what they are talking about in Episode 14, thought I’d then try to catch up with the rest of you on the ‘reflections’ bit...

Episode 12 and 13 was probably one of the pair of potentially thought-provoking episodes in my opinion because I personally became vested into the question of “am I able to love this person who is now a 70 year-old man” ?  A part of me was really quite repulsed by the form that HSG took in episode 12 and I’m quite ashamed of it.  It really made me think whether I was so attracted to SHJ’s beautiful exterior and it really didn’t sink in when the screen time of her previous cameos were quite brief / short so much so that I didn’t feel any negativity to them.  In fact, at some point I even felt that the changes were quite cute to some extent and even just a slight inconvenience that could be easily overcome.

However the latest switch was quite a bomb in my face.  I actually felt ‘urgh’ in my mind... what a freckled old man with a raspy, slightly rough voice that was hard on the ears... it was really jarring and a real wake-up call to how I personally “saw” people. How I perceived beauty and how our inner biasness could be so camouflaged until a really difficult situation is presented to us and we will be able to see our own true preferences. The scenario really struck me.

Therefore it was a bit of a waste that the writer didn’t take that opportunity to challenge the audience’s perspectives and perceptions. 

i'm still on episode 13 too—just reacting off the preview and what i've pieced together from discussions on here, so no worries at all!! no need to apologize or anything <3 and thank you for sharing your viewpoint here, i think it is really very valuable. (the liver spots sort of got to me too, but overall i didn't mind). but yes, i agree—i had this realization too, only in the episode where SG changed and couldn't visit her mom. the switches are gradually becoming more and more serious, which is good for the drama i think. and i agree again with your comment that it was something of a waste to not take that opportunity—perhaps it would have allowed for more of us to become introspective with the situation at hand. if there's one thing i wish the drama worked with a little more, it's that more philosophical questions would have been raised about beauty and our preconceptions related to it. i would've even sacrificed some comedy for that! 

• Like 4

@kdrmalover4444 this entire comment is absolute perfection!! you've gotten to the point entirely: that we should see it from both their sides, because both, in their own way, are right to be feeling the way they are. you wrote it so summarily and so well, thank you for writing everything that needed to be said very thoroughly (if i could give your comments more likes i would!! haha) <3 <3 <3

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shjfan23 said:

I dont know why?? Am I that too selfish to wish he will not be better?? Lol

But either way is fine just give us a happy ending! :lol:

I don't know if its selfish or not, but I'm with you in this part, I also don't want do jae to getting cured from his prosopagnosia ..and Se gye to remain as she is now (her transformations every month)... Because both of them already a beautiful person even with their flaws, and they complete each other perfectly...although it's sad that do jae can't recognize se gye from her face, but do jae already recognize her with his heart and love her because who she is (her inner beauty) not because her appearance beauty

I'm pretty much sure that do jae will take the surgery, but I wish do jae's mom will beg se gye to stop him...I don't want do jae to risk his life for the second times, and if something goes wrong (but I think it won't be happened because it's dramaland) I don't think se gye can handle it.

Also I don't want se gye comeback to do jae because his illness being cured, but because she forgive her self and allow her self to be happy with do jae

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, farishta said:

this is such a lovely sentiment, i'm so glad you wrote it out. it's something i think too and something i'm actually writing one of my college essays on—that when reading or watching TV that focuses on relationships and the changing hearts of characters, we should make a point to empathize, to see them kindly, and to treat them well (even in our heads) because that will translate to a more sensitive and sweeter temperament when speaking with others. literature and film are both art forms that are a study in empathy. and furthermore, they are reflections of life and love. 

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm sure you will do well with your essay!  Your theory is just right.  We need to become better and not bitter.  :)

One of the best things I learned in college was something that one professor told me:  the purpose of an education is NOT to teach us WHAT to think BUT to teach us HOW to think.  He would probably be surprised to know often I have applied that lesson in my own life, and how very much good it has done for me.  It helps me to understand that everything that comes my way has something to teach me; and then it's up to me to seek out the meaning of that lesson.

• Like 7

@thistle first off, i just want to say something i've been thinking for a long time—i love-love-love your username and your profile picture!! it's so cute <3 and with that out of the way—thank you as well. i hope my essay does turn out alright! and it's very kind of you to share that piece of wisdom from your professor too, i will keep it in mind as i go through college!! it's important to keep the mind healthy and do critical thinking for oneself!! life has meaning so long as you choose to find it (very existential point of view, i know, haha). thank you for your thoughtful words, they made me feel much better <3 college as a concept can be disheartening. 

• Like 1

I almost cried when SG said "We can never be happy together as one, since I already ruined your past and future. So let's break up. Please throw me away".

:(

Later DJ said, "Look me in the eyes and say you hate me."

SG could not.

DJ: "See. You love me, so why are you being this way? I'm saying it's okay."

SG (after a pause): "I hate you. I've hated you since the moment we met."

SG then walked away, already in tears...

She will push herself away as much as possible... :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Haven’t had a chance to watch ep 14 yet. To be honest, I sympathize SG more than SDJ. At least for SDJ, there is a medical term for his illness which means there is a possibility that with the advance of medical science, he has a chance of recovery. Even if he doesn’t recover, he is coping well with the illness (tho now it may pose a greater inconvenience since the world knows about it.). Nevertheless, at least to the public, SDJ is still acceptable as a normal human being although with a cognitive disorder, that’s all.

Whereas for SG,  she is probably the only human being with such an illness (or maybe not? Her dad??). She can’t even explain her illness to anyone without being deemed a freak or psycho. Her illness is way too unpredictable. No set time of onset of the change. No clue who she will change into. When she will change back or worse, the uncertainty if she will even change back to her real self at all. This is probably the greatest fear of all. This also means she can’t conceive? (Ok this may not be such a big problem since they can always adopt a child.) Above all, no one knows what triggered the change and how she can reverse it to be fully cured. She will probably need a kiss from a Prince, an antidote from her dad or some fairy or simply a miracle from heaven? Who knows?!

Oh well, I’m so looking forward to see what the writer has in store for us next week. How will she bring us to the land of the-happy-ever-after! Hopefully. Fingers crossed. :wub:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, farishta said:

@kdrmalover4444 this entire comment is absolute perfection!! you've gotten to the point entirely: that we should see it from both their sides, because both, in their own way, are right to be feeling the way they are. you wrote it so summarily and so well, thank you for writing everything that needed to be said very thoroughly (if i could give your comments more likes i would!! haha) <3 <3 <3

This give me some kind of deja vu, hahaha.. thank you cute1-onion-head-emoticon.gif 

About whether Dojae's and Segye's condition being cure or not, I'm fine either way I just want a very happy ending for them together. But I've been thinking, since this drama is basically live-shooting now that they near the end, there's big possibility that the drama always reflect on the comment they got. Actually I've been seeing many top comments that wants Segi couple to have a happy ending, wishing that Dojae's and Segye's condition to be cure. So I think if they really go that road then it may be partly the feedback from what knets wants. It's the perk of non pre-produced drama, that they actually can give what their viewers wants the most. I mean, it's so suddenly happen that there's a way to cure Dojae, after 14 episode, after it's being mentioned a few times how it can't be cure and dojae have to accept it. Ah well it's kinda smooth tho because 5% probability for succeed with death as the worst possible outcome is justify how they said there's no cure. it's the same as wishing for miracle. 

• Like 5

@kdrmalover4444 déjà vu was the intent, haha <3 and yes, as long as there is a happy ending, i'll be alright. if they change everything and give it a tragic ending, i'm going to be upset . . . because those were not my expectations going in. as for the issue of whether or not SG+DJ get cured, i feel sort of ambivalent. as @shjfan23 stated before in regards to DJ+SG remaining as they are—i feel like that is good too, and still 'true' to the message of the drama. somehow, i feel if they did miraculously get cured, it would feel slightly . . . well, not empty, but too 'sugary' of an ending. i like my endings to be bittersweet (with more sweetness) and full of possibility. but you're right! thanks to the live-shooting, the ending will be influenced. i just hope the writer stays true to her vision while also keeping the viewers happy. can that be possible? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, farishta said:

.................... i just hope the writer stays true to her vision while also keeping the viewers happy. can that be possible? 

actually I'm sure viewers will be happy either way even if both of them remain the same as long as it's a happy ending. Beside, no matter what road the writer takes I'm sure there's always pros and cons, not everyone wants the same thing. I hope the writer stays true to her vision too despite her effort to satisfying the viewers.

Though I must say, even if one or both of them really being cure in the end then it's okay too (for me),  the message have been engrave thorough the series that they actually falling in love with each other even before all that, dojae already showing his part of how he will still love her no matter what state she is in and Segye actually fall for him because he is the only one who will call her "Segye" in every state she is (beside her 2 bestfriend). But yeah, a happy ending not necessarily mean they have to be cure. As long as  they are being happily together, I'm sure that's what all of us want to see.

• Like 6

I've always despised noble idiocy in dramas, so now I'm going to go against the majority and say that I really hate Segye for doing what she did. Sure, her transformation is considerably a bigger burden than Dojae's face blindness especially because you know the only option is to run away when your symptoms starts messing up with your activity, while face blindness is less of a hassle since you could just have someone to tell you who's who instead of running away. But still, for her to give up everything -- the only person who recognizes and loves her no matter what -- just to overcome her guilt, it's just so foolish and selfish. Where will you go then? What will you do now? I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling sympathetic at all.

2 episodes left. I hope the writer has a happy reunion (and maybe a marriage) written somewhere in the final script. I'm fine with time lapse as long as they remain lovers and stay beside each other at the end of the drama. The 'sickness' can stay too, it doesn't matter as long as both of them stick together like they have been doing in the past episodes and besides, their sickness is actually the fate which brought them together and made them fell in love with each other. People will think their conditions are sad, but ain't that what romance is? When you face everything together, your troubles and your obstacles, in spite of people who don't have faith in you. The important thing is to be together.

All those romantic and heartfelt moments will be for nothing if they end the main lead's relationship in a such a bad way. Even the second leads won't be able to make up for that. Hwaiting writer-nim, please give us a grand ending :wub:

- M -

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On a lighter note, so happy that TBI got it’s highest rating yet! 5.3 for ep14!yay!!!! We now surpassed the 5 rating mark! Still positive we can get much higher for the next 2 episodes!

My mind is buggling with all the inputs I’m reading! All of your comments are making sense. I sympathized SG, but when I read another comment I suddenly questioned her. I’m not sure if I can go on with my work today! Lol:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Ah! I've not watched ep 13 & 14 subbed yet but I'm willing to bet my money on happy ending. I'm not gonna worry too much about it.

The only thing I'm not sure if any or both will be healed completely and if the writer go down that path, it'll be miracle healing.

• Like 4

I don't want to watch the sub for episode 14 now. It was a torture when I watched it raw I don't want to go through that torture again before next episode 

On another note, there are 2 trending article on top 10 news which many people read now about Beauty Inside, the first one talking about Lee Minki amazing performance play dojae's emotional explosion after Segye left and The other one, about Segye whose love dojae so much but choose to leave him. 

The making is good, but not good enough to contain my sorrow  :bawling:

I need more happy pills

• Like 2
  • Sad 2