[Drama 2018] The Beauty Inside Drama Remake, 뷰티 인사이드

marykarmelina

Okay, don't call me heartless or anything but I kind of wanted SDJ to cry for some time now...

I haven't even watched all the cuts from jtbc but I don't know how to wait another week. Looks like HSG left her house for good? Looks so empty... I hope the writernim doesn't put any time skips. I hate when dramas do that:mellow:

Looks like HSG is retired and going away. The message from SDJ's doctor is really interesting though. He asked if he is sure about he surgery since he could die. IS IT FOR HIS CONDITION?? I know it's not realistic but I want him to see her so much. That would be one tear jerking scene:bawling: I'm 99% sure about the time skip too. He'll get the surgery then they'll meet again some years later....BOOM HAPPY EVER AFTER I HOPE

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me, but I’m in awe with SHJ’s acting here. (Do I sound bias here? Lol) Eveytime she cries, I felt the pain! I even got frustrated by her actions. 

But of course, kudos to LMK as well! We saw his flexibility here. He’s not just about blank face. We saw his rawness! 

6 minutes ago, SweetLullaby said:

Looks like HSG is retired and going away. The message from SDJ's doctor is really interesting though. He asked if he is sure about he surgery since he could die. IS IT FOR HIS CONDITION?? I know it's not realistic but I want him to see her so much. That would be one tear jerking scene:bawling: I'm 99% sure about the time skip too. He'll get the surgery then they'll meet again some years later....BOOM HAPPY EVER AFTER I HOPE

So that’s the conversation with his doctor was all about. If that’s the case, then that will be time skip for sure. I’m torn between him getting better and him having that condition forever. I dont know why?? Am I that too selfish to wish he will not be better?? Lol

But either way is fine just give us a happy ending! :lol:

I’m actually quite pleased that this episode gave both SHJ and LMK the chance to show their acting skills esp. LMK as we have seen SHJ crying many times in the drama and her scenes are so natural and superb. LMK is great here, well done! Yesterday I very much liked LMK acting esp. in the scene with the evil ex-fiancee of SR too. 

I support them both on a professional level and personal level (i.e if they become a couple irl it’ll be greattt well if both of them are single and available). Going through some extreme emotions like these together help our OTP story and bonding I guess :)

6 minutes ago, thistle said:

Agreed!  I think that is too easy to become harsh with a character and vent rage on them.  Instead, we should try to figure out why the character does what he/she does.  That can be a good way for us to learn more about ourselves as well and about how to be compassionate to those around us.

Reacting is easy.  Reflecting takes effort.  But it is the latter that we should be doing, even when it comes to watching a drama.

Omg I can already imagine the comment section of a certain drama site about HSG's action today lmao. But I agree with you guys! It's not realistic that HSG can stay with DJ immediately because she has shown us the intensity of her guilt in this ep. I can't imagine her continuously dating DJ the way before with the amount of guilt that she has and it will also not be fair for DJ to have a half-hearted SG with him. So let them calm down with this short separation and come back stronger. Let us wait for HSG to deal with her guilt and comeback to DJ fully determined to love him wholly. Let us also allow DJ to be stronger with this separation. Honestly, it's a little worrying how (idk the proper term huhu) dependent? he is to SG for his happiness. DJ's interaction with other people improved a lot and he credits it to HSG so I hope he maintains his relationship with his family and team even after she's gone.

5 hours ago, Irly said:

But it's a bit selfish, no? I mean... for that reason she only thinks about herself. Her pain, her guilt. She doesn't think about DJ and that drives me nuts. If I felt guilt about something I will try to do something and repair as much damage as I could. And no matter how hard it would be for me, in that case my hardship doesn't matter at all. Because it's my fault and I need to face all consequences. 

She said "I don't deserve him". But it's not for her to decide. With the breakup route she only cause more damage to DJ. Instead of helping him with his life she gave him more pain. And he really doesn't deserve this.

wow, i didn't know that my comment would spark so much debate—but i'm really glad, because now we have such a lively and complex discussion going. props to the drama for allowing us to think and reason with the scenes within it without merely accepting them blindly!! <3 so @Irly i have some points that i'd love to hear your perspective on <3

i see how it might be selfish, but i think it is a little harsh to say that SG only thinks of herself. time and time again in the drama, though the media pushes that exact point forward (that she is self-absorbed, a diva, etc.), we are shown time over that she isn't (the scenes with the little boy, the scenes with the high school girl, there's more most likely that i can't recall) so in this case, i don't think that she's being selfish. yes, it's her pain and her guilt—but it stems from DJ's pain, which he's already told her about on that night on the roof. it's her pain at being the one who put him through that. so while i think that our views on how she should react are different, i do think that she is not being selfish here. she might be subconsciously thinking of herself, but truthfully, she's convincing herself that he hates her (even though we're shown that she doesn't). 

but i definitely agree with that middle point about doing something to repair the damage inflicted—that's what everybody should do when they make a mistake. but unfortunately, here, i don't think SG can. and i think something that people need to remember is that characters don't always react to situations the same way we do (not to say that you don't know this already). for example—though i, personally, do relate to SG's decisions and choices, that's not to say my friend will, or as @Irly has written, does not. 

and finally, it is SG's decision to decide whether she deserves him or not. that's not a matter of the situation at hand, but rather of her own autonomy, lol. if she doesn't think she is deserving, she isn't. if she does think she's deserving, she is. whether she should stay with him or go away from him is her own choice. 

so what do you think? i'd love to hear your thoughts along with anyone else's <3 sorry, i have a lot of feelings about SG's leaving but it might just be because i've enjoyed this trope ever since oh my venus, haha. 

oh, and i almost forgot, but there's another thing i wanted to add that might not be really relevant: i think SG's fleeing from the situation at hand is a callback to her own father's decisions, which might make her realization and subsequent return even more heartbreaking (considering the childhood she herself suffered through). having her choices parallel the choices of the father she had so much bitterness for might snap her back into reason. 

The more I think about it the more frustrated I am. I could completely understand that SG need time for coming to terms with newly discovered facts. What I don't understand is when instead saying: "I need some time by myself" she just said "Let's break up".

And I really don't like if drama take turn to healing DJ condition. It's somewhat cheap and diminished efforts for those who live their lives without drama-like miracles. 

Prosopagnosia not life-threating disease. For instance, I have very bad eyesight since early childhood. Because of it I have very bad face memory and recognizing and could pass near the person I know on the street (including close relatives) without noticing. Of course, it's not prosopagnosia, but something very close to it. All my close friends and family knows about it so no big deal. If someone doesn't know and feels offended I just explain everything. 

I don't even mention completely blind people! So what, without magic cure they doesn't deserve happiness? 

And what kind of guilt it is that out of that guilt someone just give more and more pain to the wronged person? (I don't know how it's her fault also, it was his decision to save old lady. But she feels that fault, so okay, that part understandable)

What kind of love doing something like this? 

If DJ really after her disappearance make decision to do life-threating operation and something goes wrong? (And in not drama-land something surely goes wrong), How she will live with THIS guilt? 

44 minutes ago, thistle said:

Agreed!  I think that is too easy to become harsh with a character and vent rage on them.  Instead, we should try to figure out why the character does what he/she does.  That can be a good way for us to learn more about ourselves as well and about how to be compassionate to those around us.

Reacting is easy.  Reflecting takes effort.  But it is the latter that we should be doing, even when it comes to watching a drama.

this is such a lovely sentiment, i'm so glad you wrote it out. it's something i think too and something i'm actually writing one of my college essays on—that when reading or watching TV that focuses on relationships and the changing hearts of characters, we should make a point to empathize, to see them kindly, and to treat them well (even in our heads) because that will translate to a more sensitive and sweeter temperament when speaking with others. literature and film are both art forms that are a study in empathy. and furthermore, they are reflections of life and love. 

about the conversation with his doctor.. if I'm not mistaken, the probability to be able to heal is just 5% but he could also die if the surgery gone wrong. I think that's way he try to just accept it and live with his condition for the past 10 years, that's why he said that there's no cure when his grandpa asking. But now that Segye left him, I'm so sure he will take anything, even with that 5%, because he can't live without Segye anyway.

About Segye, I can't say I like the way she is running away and leaving Dojae because it's so sad, people can say she is selfish, yes in a way, but what else she can do? She feels guilt and that feeling eating her alive. She is being  mean to Dojae to left him like that, yes it's in a way true too, but before all that, she needs too live first. She can't smile anymore, she feels like dying, she hate herself so much that she can't live anymore. She can't even begging for forgiveness to dojae's mom because it doesn't make sense if she said dojae become like that because saving her from accident, how could she explain that grandma that dojae save in car accident was her?. I mean, if only she can just admit to everybody why she felt guilty to Dojae so that everyone can just blame her, she can beg for their forgiveness and pay for what she's done (though we know it's not like that, it's not her fault).

Woomi knows it that's why she stop Dojae from meeting Segye the day before she left. She knows Segye through and through, she is her bestfriend and will be always in her side. Like Woomi said, Segye needs to live first. May I said that actually the writer been constant about Segye's personality, and she left dojae like this is constant with how Segye from the start is. Just like her mom said, Segye isn't easily change, she is always like that. 

But what to do with Dojae? My heart breaking for him... He choose Segye over his family or position, he said he can leave all of that to be with her no matter who she changes into he is ready to throw anything away just to be with her. Even after knowing the truth of their past he said it's okay because even if it's not her he will still save the person, and that saving her is the best thing he had ever done, but now she can't live with guilty feeling, she can't live with herself while dojae is too good she feel she don't deserve him and his love...so she want to leave, but Dojae..Dojae can't even remember her face on his mind when he miss her,and he loves her so much that anything else doesn't matter, isn't their fate so cruel like this? I suddenly has a strong nostalgic feeling, this is like watching Goblin all over again, the torture is real. Im Meari writer-nim, jinjja.....crying2-onion-head-emoticon.gif

p.s : one thing I want to complain, there's no melodrama tag on this drama. I mean.. they should have warn me?! Please give me back my RomCom in episode 15 and 16.

p.s.s : SHJ and LMK are so good, both in the RomCom side or Melo side. what's with this couple? so perfect.

Sorry to take you guys back to Episode 13 but in view that I’d have to wait another 8 hours to understand what they are talking about in Episode 14, thought I’d then try to catch up with the rest of you on the ‘reflections’ bit...

Episode 12 and 13 was probably one of the pair of potentially thought-provoking episodes in my opinion because I personally became vested into the question of “am I able to love this person who is now a 70 year-old man” ?  A part of me was really quite repulsed by the form that HSG took in episode 12 and I’m quite ashamed of it.  It really made me think whether I was so attracted to SHJ’s beautiful exterior and it really didn’t sink in when the screen time of her previous cameos were quite brief / short so much so that I didn’t feel any negativity to them.  In fact, at some point I even felt that the changes were quite cute to some extent and even just a slight inconvenience that could be easily overcome.

However the latest switch was quite a bomb in my face.  I actually felt ‘urgh’ in my mind... what a freckled old man with a raspy, slightly rough voice that was hard on the ears... it was really jarring and a real wake-up call to how I personally “saw” people. How I perceived beauty and how our inner biasness could be so camouflaged until a really difficult situation is presented to us and we will be able to see our own true preferences. The scenario really struck me.

Therefore it was a bit of a waste that the writer didn’t take that opportunity to challenge the audience’s perspectives and perceptions.  The director also didn’t seem to have given us enough time to figure out how we should have handled this if really the change back was not going to happen... we got a slight sense only on how SDJ felt but weren’t quite able to see it in LMK’s expression (to be fair, it could be difficult to portray the inner struggles...). In that sense, I was hoping somehow in the Episode 13 there could have been more time set aside to address this question and also the fundamental premise of the title of the show.

That said, Episode 13 was also probably the most balanced of all the episodes so far, covering the entire spectrum of friends, foe, family and lovers. There was the comedy and even the loveable King Kang ! In retrospect, the try to balance all that and also provide the appropriate cliffhanger at the end of the episode might have been a editorial challenge for the PD...tough choices but overall, a job well done!

Now I have to be content to wait for the subs for episode 14....

4 minutes ago, kopifan said:

Sorry to take you guys back to Episode 13 but in view that I’d have to wait another 8 hours to understand what they are talking about in Episode 14, thought I’d then try to catch up with the rest of you on the ‘reflections’ bit...

Episode 12 and 13 was probably one of the pair of potentially thought-provoking episodes in my opinion because I personally became vested into the question of “am I able to love this person who is now a 70 year-old man” ?  A part of me was really quite repulsed by the form that HSG took in episode 12 and I’m quite ashamed of it.  It really made me think whether I was so attracted to SHJ’s beautiful exterior and it really didn’t sink in when the screen time of her previous cameos were quite brief / short so much so that I didn’t feel any negativity to them.  In fact, at some point I even felt that the changes were quite cute to some extent and even just a slight inconvenience that could be easily overcome.

However the latest switch was quite a bomb in my face.  I actually felt ‘urgh’ in my mind... what a freckled old man with a raspy, slightly rough voice that was hard on the ears... it was really jarring and a real wake-up call to how I personally “saw” people. How I perceived beauty and how our inner biasness could be so camouflaged until a really difficult situation is presented to us and we will be able to see our own true preferences. The scenario really struck me.

Therefore it was a bit of a waste that the writer didn’t take that opportunity to challenge the audience’s perspectives and perceptions. 

i'm still on episode 13 too—just reacting off the preview and what i've pieced together from discussions on here, so no worries at all!! no need to apologize or anything <3 and thank you for sharing your viewpoint here, i think it is really very valuable. (the liver spots sort of got to me too, but overall i didn't mind). but yes, i agree—i had this realization too, only in the episode where SG changed and couldn't visit her mom. the switches are gradually becoming more and more serious, which is good for the drama i think. and i agree again with your comment that it was something of a waste to not take that opportunity—perhaps it would have allowed for more of us to become introspective with the situation at hand. if there's one thing i wish the drama worked with a little more, it's that more philosophical questions would have been raised about beauty and our preconceptions related to it. i would've even sacrificed some comedy for that! 

@kdrmalover4444 this entire comment is absolute perfection!! you've gotten to the point entirely: that we should see it from both their sides, because both, in their own way, are right to be feeling the way they are. you wrote it so summarily and so well, thank you for writing everything that needed to be said very thoroughly (if i could give your comments more likes i would!! haha) <3 <3 <3

1 hour ago, shjfan23 said:

I dont know why?? Am I that too selfish to wish he will not be better?? Lol

But either way is fine just give us a happy ending! :lol:

I don't know if its selfish or not, but I'm with you in this part, I also don't want do jae to getting cured from his prosopagnosia ..and Se gye to remain as she is now (her transformations every month)... Because both of them already a beautiful person even with their flaws, and they complete each other perfectly...although it's sad that do jae can't recognize se gye from her face, but do jae already recognize her with his heart and love her because who she is (her inner beauty) not because her appearance beauty

I'm pretty much sure that do jae will take the surgery, but I wish do jae's mom will beg se gye to stop him...I don't want do jae to risk his life for the second times, and if something goes wrong (but I think it won't be happened because it's dramaland) I don't think se gye can handle it.

Also I don't want se gye comeback to do jae because his illness being cured, but because she forgive her self and allow her self to be happy with do jae

30 minutes ago, farishta said:

this is such a lovely sentiment, i'm so glad you wrote it out. it's something i think too and something i'm actually writing one of my college essays on—that when reading or watching TV that focuses on relationships and the changing hearts of characters, we should make a point to empathize, to see them kindly, and to treat them well (even in our heads) because that will translate to a more sensitive and sweeter temperament when speaking with others. literature and film are both art forms that are a study in empathy. and furthermore, they are reflections of life and love. 

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm sure you will do well with your essay!  Your theory is just right.  We need to become better and not bitter.  :)

One of the best things I learned in college was something that one professor told me:  the purpose of an education is NOT to teach us WHAT to think BUT to teach us HOW to think.  He would probably be surprised to know often I have applied that lesson in my own life, and how very much good it has done for me.  It helps me to understand that everything that comes my way has something to teach me; and then it's up to me to seek out the meaning of that lesson.

@thistle first off, i just want to say something i've been thinking for a long time—i love-love-love your username and your profile picture!! it's so cute <3 and with that out of the way—thank you as well. i hope my essay does turn out alright! and it's very kind of you to share that piece of wisdom from your professor too, i will keep it in mind as i go through college!! it's important to keep the mind healthy and do critical thinking for oneself!! life has meaning so long as you choose to find it (very existential point of view, i know, haha). thank you for your thoughtful words, they made me feel much better <3 college as a concept can be disheartening. 

I almost cried when SG said "We can never be happy together as one, since I already ruined your past and future. So let's break up. Please throw me away".

:(

Later DJ said, "Look me in the eyes and say you hate me."

SG could not.

DJ: "See. You love me, so why are you being this way? I'm saying it's okay."

SG (after a pause): "I hate you. I've hated you since the moment we met."

SG then walked away, already in tears...

She will push herself away as much as possible... :(

Haven’t had a chance to watch ep 14 yet. To be honest, I sympathize SG more than SDJ. At least for SDJ, there is a medical term for his illness which means there is a possibility that with the advance of medical science, he has a chance of recovery. Even if he doesn’t recover, he is coping well with the illness (tho now it may pose a greater inconvenience since the world knows about it.). Nevertheless, at least to the public, SDJ is still acceptable as a normal human being although with a cognitive disorder, that’s all.

Whereas for SG,  she is probably the only human being with such an illness (or maybe not? Her dad??). She can’t even explain her illness to anyone without being deemed a freak or psycho. Her illness is way too unpredictable. No set time of onset of the change. No clue who she will change into. When she will change back or worse, the uncertainty if she will even change back to her real self at all. This is probably the greatest fear of all. This also means she can’t conceive? (Ok this may not be such a big problem since they can always adopt a child.) Above all, no one knows what triggered the change and how she can reverse it to be fully cured. She will probably need a kiss from a Prince, an antidote from her dad or some fairy or simply a miracle from heaven? Who knows?!

Oh well, I’m so looking forward to see what the writer has in store for us next week. How will she bring us to the land of the-happy-ever-after! Hopefully. Fingers crossed. :wub:

Archived