[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

6 hours ago, bedifferent said:

This kind of love, this kind of happiness, I thought it was easy

But this kind of laughter, this kind of blessing, it can't come easily

As always loved your post and these words are so true.  I'm not going anywhere because this drama no matter the ending although I have my hopes like everyone else has theirs.  Still what's so amazing about this writer is that it makes you realize that great things and loves are made even greater when two people have to struggle in order to appreciate what it is that they have...

YJ is in the darkest valley of her life and is struggling to climb out. My heart wants to believe that JY after knowing her for so long picked up on this and thus gave her the warmth of a meal like he received when he too was in a dark valley of his own.  To me he is the one person that can heal her heart.  The one person who fate always reunites her with and the one person who can cover all her scars and doubts with the healing warmth of his love...

:heart:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I got a little down...not from watching the drama but from reading all the speculations, perceived storylines and expectations about the show/characters. Thank God for a few kind souls who inject a little realism (irony!) and life into this sweet storyline, even with the heartaches and tears. 

I went back to watching the first few episodes again to remind myself how funny,  cringeworthy & super awesome SKJ’S portrayal of Joon Yong was. There are still some hints of his younger nerdy self now but I really give SKJ props for bringing life to this role.

I remain empathetic towards Young Jae because there are people like that who go through a lot of emotional hardships, and it’s one thing after another. And these people hardened their hearts and become cynical with people around them. I actually have 1-2 friends like that and there’s not a lot I can do to help their situations. :tears:

Perhaps at the end of the day, I do wish for someone like Joon Yong, who had to go through his own discovery journey, dealing with his own insecurities but yet able to love his intended, wholeheartedly and sacrificially, to be the one for Young Jae. And in turn, Young Jae learns that there is hope and love waiting for her after all. 

That’s my wishful and sometimes-in-dramas-only part that I hope for this endearing drama. Because in RL, there are competitive people like Soo Hee, there are people who think the couple shouldn’t be together or wished someone better for a guy like Joon Yong...

Anyway, 2 more thoughts before I count down to Fri...

1. Watching the early episodes made me missed Joon Yong’s police station colleagues so much! They added so much fun to the scenes. Now that he is a chef, and other than the short appearance of his older partner from the police station, I wonder if the writer/PD will bring them back for more scenes...

2. Out of curiosity I looked up what is the definition of “third charm” in urban dictionary and this was what it said, “ Someone who has failed at something twice; used as a means for encouragement, expressing hope that things will work out on the third try.” Makes me hopeful for a happy ending.

Hwaiting! :wub: 

56 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

To be honest, I got a little down...not from watching the drama but from reading all the speculations, perceived storylines and expectations about the show/characters. Thank God for a few kind souls who inject a little realism (irony!) and life into this sweet storyline, even with the heartaches and tears. 

Ditto!  Thanks for this.  The character-hate that has been displayed here has been disheartening.  We don't know the whole story yet, and I think that there are reasons that we don't yet know--this has been the case in this drama in the past.  Things that didn't make sense at first (like the initial break up) had an underlying reason.

One of the takeaways from this drama is that we don't always know why someone does what they do, so we have to accept them and care about them until they are strong enough and until they trust us enough to share.

3 hours ago, thistle said:

Ditto!  Thanks for this.  The character-hate that has been displayed here has been disheartening.  We don't know the whole story yet, and I think that there are reasons that we don't yet know--this has been the case in this drama in the past.  Things that didn't make sense at first (like the initial break up) had an underlying reason.

One of the takeaways from this drama is that we don't always know why someone does what they do, so we have to accept them and care about them until they are strong enough and until they trust us enough to share.

I agree. Thank you!

4 hours ago, jbying7 said:

I went back to watching the first few episodes again to remind myself how funny,  cringeworthy & super awesome SKJ’S portrayal of Joon Yong was. There are still some hints of his younger nerdy self now but I really give SKJ props for bringing life to this role.

I remain empathetic towards Young Jae because there are people like that who go through a lot of emotional hardships, and it’s one thing after another. And these people hardened their hearts and become cynical with people around them. I actually have 1-2 friends like that and there’s not a lot I can do to help their situations. :tears:

Perhaps at the end of the day, I do wish for someone like Joon Yong, who had to go through his own discovery journey, dealing with his own insecurities but yet able to love his intended, wholeheartedly and sacrificially, to be the one for Young Jae. And in turn, Young Jae learns that there is hope and love waiting for her after all. 

That’s my wishful and sometimes-in-dramas-only part that I hope for this endearing drama. Because in RL, there are competitive people like Soo Hee, there are people who think the couple shouldn’t be together or wished someone better for a guy like Joon Yong...

Anyway, 2 more thoughts before I count down to Fri...

1. Watching the early episodes made me missed Joon Yong’s police station colleagues so much! They added so much fun to the scenes. Now that he is a chef, and other than the short appearance of his older partner from the police station, I wonder if the writer/PD will bring them back for more scenes...

2. Out of curiosity I looked up what is the definition of “third charm” in urban dictionary and this was what it said, “ Someone who has failed at something twice; used as a means for encouragement, expressing hope that things will work out on the third try.” Makes me hopeful for a happy ending.

Hwaiting! :wub: 

I miss the cops,  too. I thought they were one of the fun part of this drama. I was hoping for little side stories or glimpses into their lives and characters, not just have them serve as background for JY. There was so much potential In them to enrich this drama. 

Thanks for posting those photos, @bedifferent !!!

My first thought in seeing that photo of Young-Jae with her daughter is... that girl looks BIG.

Ri-Won became pregnant right when Joon-Young decided to stay in Portugal. This girl looks MUCH older than Ri-Won's daughter.

Even if Young-Jae and Ho-Chul got pregnant right away, or she had Joon-Young's baby - the child would be the same age as Ri-Won's daughter, at most - because some time had already passed since the child's death.

(Eh, I don't know. I'm probably trying too hard to deduce clues from one picture.)

Just watched ep 12 and things are becoming clearer.  YJ was surprise JY was in Lisbon so she didn't go there to look for him.  I doubt the child is JY's but if it is, it is really cruel of her not to tell him.  She was wearing her wedding ring in Lisbon so she must have gotten married  by then.  YJ says that JY has always been decisive.  He knew what he wanted.  I thought YJ knew what she wanted the whole time too.  She wanted to be rich and successful but JY just wanted to be with the person he loves.  His wife to be is the same as JY, she just wants to be with the one she loves.

How sad it was that in Portugal, JY found himself but YJ lost herself.   Korea will be a sad reminder for JY and Portugal will be a sad reminder for YJ.

After marriage, JY wants to go back to Portugal.  I think he wants to avoid YJ.  I think he knows he is being swayed and he is staying right away.  JY is really a person of integrity.  He will sympathise with YJ but he will not want to hurt his SE.  I think the airport scene at Portugal says it all.  JY responded to SE because she told the truth.  I think it is time YJ tells the truth.   

Ep.13 Video Preview (translated):

Doctor (?): Will it be all right for you to hear this directly?

Joo-Ran: Is something very wrong with me?

(Soo-Jae tries calling Joo-Ran, she doesn't answer.)

Se-Eun: Young-Jae Unni must have been so popular. She is the type I was always envious of. She seems so cool.

Young-Jae: Unni, I met with Joon-Young.

Joon-Young: Se-Eun, after we marry, shall we go live in Lisbon?

Se-Eun: I am fine anywhere. As long as I am with you. ... (touching his coat) Are you warm enough?

Joon-Young (to Se-Eun): Of course.

Joon-Young (to Young-Jae): Dress warmly, and don't skip meals.

--

Ep.13 Text Preview (translated):

옷 따뜻하게 입고, 밥 꼭 챙겨먹고

Dress warmly, and don't skip meals.

(Yes, this is it!)

--

So, my thoughts based on the video preview:

- As I said before, Se-Eun has a lot in common with Joon-Young during his v.2 relationship with Young-Jae - Se-Eun says the exact same words that he said to Young-Jae - that he can live anywhere as long as he is with her.

- The other thing I noticed is that he still had that photo from winning the beer-drinking contest when he had his first date with Young-Jae. After she dumped him, he cut it with scissors, but it turns out he taped that photo back together and kept it.

- Joo-Ran is sick! NOOOOO! Ugh.

Be VERY afraid whenever a K-drama character goes to a hospital for some non-specified reason.

2 hours ago, sheza said:

Just watched ep 12 and things are becoming clearer.  YJ was surprise JY was in Lisbon so she didn't go there to look for him.  I doubt the child is JY's but if it is, it is really cruel of her not to tell him.  She was wearing her wedding ring in Lisbon so she must have gotten married  by then.  YJ says that JY has always been decisive.  He knew what he wanted.  I thought YJ knew what she wanted the whole time too.  She wanted to be rich and successful but JY just wanted to be with the person he loves.  His wife to be is the same as JY, she just wants to be with the one she loves.

How sad it was that in Portugal, JY found himself but YJ lost herself.   Korea will be a sad reminder for JY and Portugal will be a sad reminder for YJ.

After marriage, JY wants to go back to Portugal.  I think he wants to avoid YJ.  I think he knows he is being swayed and he is staying right away.  JY is really a person of integrity.  He will sympathise with YJ but he will not want to hurt his SE.  I think the airport scene at Portugal says it all.  JY responded to SE because she told the truth.  I think it is time YJ tells the truth.   

Beautiful chingu. You just said what I wanted to say but couldn't put into words. JY doesn't want to hurt SE because he was at her place once and also she doesn't lie about her feelings. Even though JY sister said that they don't truly know each other and only showed their good sides to each other, still to me they would work out better in marriage because they are putting their effort to the relationship even though JY is not deeply in love with her as she is to him. As for YJ, I hope by the end she is happy with or without JY. She deserves that after everything that has happened to her. 

@chickfactor Ur welcome with the pics.

@USAFarmgirl @sheza @jbying7 @thistle OTP fighting!

Has anyone seen the movie or read the book Age of Innocence?  There’s a line in it that resonates for me whenever Joon Young looks at Young Jae.  Perfectly describes him.

Each time I see you, you happen to me all over again. :)

In the story, the OTP remains apart due to circumstances and the male protagonist’s marriage.  In the end, when he is 57 yo, after dutifully fulfilled his role as a father and husband, finally came to her apartment as a widower with his son.  After some thoughts, he sent his son in to meet his love and resigned to standing on the street looking up at her balcony.  Her balcony door opened.  Satisfied, he turned and walked away keeping the memories of them in tact without ever seeing her.^^. 

The preview (thanks @chickfactor) gives me the same feelings about Joon Young.  I agree that Joon Young will be compelled to uphold the promise to Se-Eun but I also feel Young Jae will not attempt to sway him by disclosing her problems.  Their actions are more than the usual noble idiocy mentality that we know.  For Young Jae, he is everything that is good, selfless, noble and generous in this world atm.  His loyalty and upright character are what she loves about him so she will never compromise his life at this point.  

Their past is locked in his memories, all good and bad.  For someone as selfless as Joon Young, he will be more than content with the taped up picture rather than  hurting others.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@chickfactor Ur welcome with the pics.

@USAFarmgirl @sheza @jbying7 @thistle OTP fighting!

Has anyone seen the movie or read the book Age of Innocence?  There’s a line in it that resonates for me whenever Joon Young looks at Young Jae.  Perfectly describes him.

Each time I see you, you happen to me all over again. :)

In the story, the OTP remains apart due to circumstances and the male protagonist’s marriage.  In the end, when he is 57 yo, after dutifully fulfilled his role as a father and husband, finally came to her apartment as a widower with his son.  After some thoughts, he sent his son in to meet his love and resigned to standing on the street looking up at her balcony.  Her balcony door opened.  Satisfied, he turned and walked away keeping the memories of them in tact without ever seeing her.^^. 

The preview (thanks @chickfactor) gives me the same feelings about Joon Young.  I agree that Joon Young will be compelled to uphold the promise to Se-Eun but I also feel Young Jae will not attempt to sway him by disclosing her problems.  Their actions are more than the usual noble idiocy mentality that we know.  For Young Jae, he is everything that is good, selfless, noble and generous in this world atm.  His loyalty and upright character are what she loves about him so she will never compromise his life at this point.  

Their past is locked in his memories, all good and bad.  For someone as selfless as Joon Young, he will be more than content with the taped up picture rather than  hurting others.  :mellow:

Hey, I also cited Newland Archer in Age of Innocence on a different thread! If he abandoned his wife for the Countess, he would no longer be the same man that Countess fell in love with, so by refusing to see her even after his wife died, he is being true to himself.

All very well and good, but I really don't want Joon-Young to be Newland Archer. Newland Archer was not happy in his marriage and basically lived his entire life as a socially proper but repressed person. It wasn't a happy ending for him. I feel like Joon-Young should not have to be content with a taped-up picture while living with a wife who he's not passionate about.

I felt like the moment of DOOM was when Joon-Young said he will go anywhere with Young-Jae, as long as she was with him. That's not a super-healthy attitude, actually - being too eager to please, willing to compromise your own needs and wants - it's not what you want to hear from your partner.

So I feel like Se-Eun saying the exact same words to him might be the moment that Joon-Young realizes that their relationship may not be healthy. She has a job and family in Korea. And she's willing to abandon everything to move to Portugal, where she knows no one, and doesn't speak the language?

Basically, Joon-Young was willing to go anywhere as long as he could be with Young-Jae. But he is obviously not willing to do that for Se-Eun. Se-Eun confessed to him at the airport, and they began a relationship but he still stayed in Portugal for 4 more years, not willing to abandon his passions and his dreams for her. When he returned to Korea, it wasn't to be with her, it was because he was simply done with Portugal.

Not to mention, Portugal is Joon-Young's place to run away to when he is running from Young-Jae. So he is definitely not over her.

None of this is healthy. So I just don't see things ending well between Joon-Young and Se-Eun.

--

Lastly, after seeing the photo many times of that little girl with Young-Jae, I am convinced that she cannot be Young-Jae's biological daughter. She's just too old, the timeline doesn't fit.

I don't hope that JY will sacrifice the love of his life to keep a promise and live just comfortably.

At this point, I always like YJ and JY with their faults and their qualities, and I would really like for once the reason isn't unaware that the heart also to his reasons!

We don't yet know everything about YJ's story, so before throwing a stone at her, I want to wait, I hope she will find a way to open up and I also hope that writers will find a way to recover the pieces between YJ and JY, I can't settle for a comfortable and easy story and that in the end, nobody will be completely happy ...

It leaves me a bitter taste in the throat ...

Ps: After watching the first 12 episodes again, I noticed that during the second charm, YJ was doing the same thing as JY, she annotates everything in color (that's when she forgets her book in the subway),  it's subtle of YJ side but I can't doubt the love she has for JY either or the impact he had on her...

Let the third charm act! ^^

Edit > chickfactor Thank you for your last post! 

My exact thoughts! :)

@chickfactor @vladlola06 hella yes, YES, Joon Young must do the first selfish thing in his life.  Live for himself!  Please do not be like Archer, the most repressed depressing person who became his own prison guard and settled when was given that chance to get the happiness he dreams of at the end. 

Me too, I don’t want Joon Young to settle just cuz it’s easier.

@bedifferent Loved your post my Chingu:heart: but dang did You have to whip out Age Of Innocence that at one time broke my heart in two:heartbreak::bawling:  Took me weeks to get over that...  Have you no mercy LOL:scream:   It could happen that way between JY & YJ for all things are possible not knowing what direction the writer will go but I am hoping, fingers crossed and toes as well.  That JY will not be forced to break his promise but will have it broken for him.  I truly think a woman would know most of all one that is a police officer who can see clues and feels them as well.  When the man she loves just might not love her as much or isn't fully in love with her.  I'm hoping she won't settle for a life of having to compete with a memory or his longing heart that still hasn't let go...

To me The Third Charm the title itself might mean two people whom through time were faced with struggles and yet after breaking each others hearts more than once.  Growing up together in a way and learning while being apart that you can run, deny and even make yourself believe it's over.  That is until fate reminds you with just one look that it isn't and never was...

:heart:

@bedifferent It would be too heart breaking if this drama ends like this too.  I will probably need to go on extended vacation like JY.

@chickfactor Yes, JY obviously loves YJ a lot more.  His love for her however is not able to make things work.  Unhealthy as it may seem, in a marriage, there has to be a lot of open communication and willing compromise.  And just because you are willing to compromise doesn't have to mean that you are not being authentic.  Ri Won and SH's relationship is a prime example of a relationship complete opposite to what JY and YJ have.  Ri Won is uncompromising and SH also voice his wants and needs but in the battle of will and personalities, he is forced to compromise but is one-sided unwilling compromise.  To me, that's not very healthy either.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think YJ needs to compromise her values just because she loves JY either.  But at least, she needs to come to a point where she can open up to him because a relationship is two-ways, not one sided.  Then they can make a willing compromise.  

Remember how JY was so suffocating in his love for JY?  His insecurities and jealousy bore too much a burden for YJ.  In the same vein, I think YJ is also just as frustrating because she is emotionally unavailable.  It seems to me that in order for JY to love her, he would need to pry open her heart like digging abalone from the crevices of the cliff.

Anyway, I love how the writers wrote about their love affair in seasons.  They had a hot summer affair in the first charm, and just when it was beginning to bloom in the second charm, it was cut short (am I right or did I get the first two season mixed up?).  Now they enter the darkest, coldest season of their lives - winter.  Let's cheer up because spring will come again.  Let's hope uri OTP will learn to water on the right plot!  

Just to add also, I know it is partly for comedic effect and also perhaps the purpose of the story but I didn't like how Ri Won brutally tore SH's self esteem because he was looking every bit a dowdy stay home dad.  And how SY left JR dangling and treated her that way just because she is clinging onto him.   

1 hour ago, sheza said:

Just to add also, I know it is partly for comedic effect and also perhaps the purpose of the story but I didn't like how Ri Won brutally tore SH's self esteem because he was looking every bit a dowdy stay home dad.  And how SY left JR dangling and treated her that way just because she is clinging onto him.   

Yes, I think I enjoy Ri-Won and Sang-Hyun's relationship too much. She calls the shots, she wears the pants... I love it.

Maybe being a stay-at-home dad is Sang-Hyun's true calling in life. There's nothing wrong with that, and he's not complaining about that. (But he did have stains on his shirt, hahaha.)

And Ri-Won said she is fine with legally marrying him, she just doesn't want a big wedding, which is what he wants.

Eh, I don't know. they both communicate pretty clearly about what they each want, so I think they're fine. I'm not sure that Sang-Hyun is being repressed by Ri-Won.

--

About Joo-Ran, I think Soo-Jae doesn't want to marry anyone because he doesn't want to burden them with his infirmity. But now that she is sick, he will be the one to take care of her.

I'm still not sure they're romantic, but they're definitely family to each other.

(Having said that, wow, can't Joo-Ran ever catch a break? Dang.)

17 hours ago, sheza said:

Those are some intense takeaways...

“Ri Won brutally tore SH’s self esteem...” LOL. A man is accountable for his own actions. So much empathy for SH from one episode eh?...Have you forgotten what a womanizer/player he was (since college days!), his past was littered with broken hearts, women who he dined and wined and gave him their hearts just to be left in the dust...I am so happy he has finally met his match. Ri Won is an independent woman who can put him in his place and changed him from his Casanova ways...he deserved his “treatment” and not because of his house-”husband” image. 

And I don’t think “SJ (Btw, it’s Soo Jae) left JR dangling” - Even while he was finding his own confidence with his handicap and his success as a writer, he has always been there for JR, cleaning up after her drunken states (even from the first time they hung out together) and taking care of her (and her heart) from her numerous failed dates, as hinted in this last episode. Theirs is a comfortable companionship (misery loves company) and in the preview, he looks like he may finally step up and acknowledge his love for her and be there for her...in sickness and in health. :tears:

And yes, these 2 couplings are added for comedic effect and in a fabulous way too, just don’t try to analyze them with real life expectations and I think we’ll all enjoy the drama and the journeys of the characters a bit more.

Lastly, even as I was typing about RW+SH and JR+SJ’s subplots, I realized and loved that the writer added these messy, argumentative, sometimes with dry humor, complete with deadpan expressions (especially our dear Ri Won!) lovelines because we ended up rooting for them and loving them!

That is what love is about, two flawed people crossing paths and ended up falling in love despite how messed up their pasts were or how unsuitable they seemed for each other. :wub:

One more day people...Hwaiting! :)

7 hours ago, jbying7 said:

Those are some intense takeaways...

“Ri Won brutally tore SH’s self esteem...” LOL. A man is accountable for his own actions. So much empathy for SH from one episode eh?...Have you forgotten what a womanizer/player he was (since college days!), his past was littered with broken hearts, women who he dined and wined and gave him their hearts just to be left in the dust...I am so happy he has finally met his match. Ri Won is an independent woman who can put him in his place and changed him from his Casanova ways...he deserved his “treatment” and not because of his house-”husband” image. 

And I don’t think “SJ (Btw, it’s Soo Jae) left JR dangling” - Even while he was finding his own confidence with his handicap and his success as a writer, he has always been there for JR, cleaning up after her drunken states (even from the first time they hung out together) and taking care of her (and her heart) from her numerous failed dates, as hinted in this last episode. Theirs is a comfortable companionship (misery loves company) and in the preview, he looks like he may finally step up and acknowledge his love for her and be there for her...in sickness and in health. :tears:

And yes, these 2 couplings are added for comedic effect and in a fabulous way too, just don’t try to analyze them with real life expectations and I think we’ll all enjoy the drama and the journeys of the characters a bit more.

Lastly, even as I was typing about RW+SH and JR+SJ’s subplots, I realized and loved that the writer added these messy, argumentative, sometimes with dry humor, complete with deadpan expressions (especially our dear Ri Won!) lovelines because we ended up rooting for them and loving them!

That is what love is about, two flawed people crossing paths and ended up falling in love despite how messed up their pasts were or how unsuitable they seemed for each other. :wub:

One more day people...Hwaiting! :)

I have not forgotten SH's cassonova ways. It is just that if the reverse were true that a man is treating a woman this way, feminists all round the world will chuck a hissy fit.  But now, people find it funny and no one bats an eyelid.  It is demeaning.  I don't condone what SH did and he shouldn't have gotten away with it with just a slap in the wrist but this doesn't make it right either.  Perhaps it is true what you said - we should not over analyse these subplots and just enjoy the comic relief.  

SJ is an example of a man who let go of the love of his life and had to move on.  He eventually meets JR and settle in comfortably.  It makes you wonder if YJ and JY should do the same.  I know we are all rooting for OTP but  I agree with you.  This is what I love about this drama.  There is no right or wrong answer.  Only a story to be told - sweet, bitter, sour, salty - it is a taste of real life.  

Posting these for the memories.  We only have 4 episodes left, will miss it. :)

20180911_152856_7819.jpg

Spoiler

20181001_193340_0763.jpg

20181015_151234_9932.jpg

20181015_153206_4674.jpg

20181022_164709_6340.png

Spoiler

20181008_103716_0209.jpg

20181008_164548_0180.jpg

20181005_152439_0976.jpg

20181008_170657_8485.jpg

20181008_170711_3336.jpg

20181008_171056_7211.jpg

20181008_170306_3491.jpg

Spoiler

20181008_165925_6500.jpg

20181008_170140_0207.jpg

20181008_172614_8488.jpg

20181015_111428_1948.jpg

20181015_161146_2770.jpg

20181017_112822_2570.jpg

20181026_171339_4393.png

20181026_171344_6605.png

20181029_155114_5358.png

20181029_161132_0506.png

Love evolves as we age.  The passionate summer love Joon Young experienced with Young Jae is replaced by a sweet love where each partner shows respect and consideration for one another.  I like Se-Eun. :)

Spoiler

20181107_114007_5536.png

20181107_114013_7723.png

20181107_114019_1889.png

JTBC

Kim Yeonji (SeeYa) will sing OST 7 "In Season" for The Third Charm, will be released today.

Spoiler

20181109001880_0.jpg

Archived