[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really Quick and Dirty Recap. (I don't have the time to watch the show carefully and will have to skip some parts. AHHHHH, but I couldn't wait!)

Se-Eun speaks to her parents on the phone promising to bring JY to see them. Mother says she is annoyed, and wonders just how good-looking JY is that her daughter is waiting so long for him. Father tells her to come see them soon.

She walks in and JY introduces her to YJ, that she is the one he will marry. YJ goes to bathroom and mulls it over. Looks sad. Says goodbye, leaves.

Thinks back to their conversation:

- she says they resemble each other, look great together

- SE says they haven't set a wedding date, but is happy to meet a friend of JY because she only met Sang-Hyun

- JY tells Sang-Hyun that he's a dad and completely whipped on their daughter

- YJ says that "when people marry they change" is a true thing

- SE asks about her boyfriend, asks if she feels the same way about him from when she first met him (no answer)

SE offers YJ a ride, YJ says no, but that she enjoyed herself, says goodbye

In the car, JY and SE:

- SE wonders if she made a mistake

- JY says: it's ok, you couldn't have known

- but if I didn't bring up her boyfriend, she wouldn't have had to bring up her divorce - but says that YJ is really cool and she is envious of her

YJ returns to her home, puts her shopping away, thinks back to watching JY and SE talk to each other sweetly in the restaurant

back in the car:

JY: Se-Eun, want to go live in Lisbon after we marry?

SE: Why?

JY: Well... we were happy there.

SE: Wherever is fine with me, as long as I am with you. (takes his hand)

JY thinks back to the saying the same thing to YJ (back on the island) - has the same pained look on his face that YJ had

They say good night in front of her home. SE washes her face. Thinks back to making dumplings at Ohn house when JY is still in Lisbon. It's Thanksgiving, and Father Ohn asks her to come with him. Ri-Won grumbles that Father is already making her into his daughter-in-law, and Mother Ohn says that they are grateful to her for coming over so they feel less lonely without Joon-Young.

Sang-Hyun says, "You have me, Mother!" Ri-Won tells him to be quiet and he says she's terrible at making dumplings but she had a beautiful daughter, somehow.

Father Ohn shows SE photos and scrapbook of JY when he was young. Explains that JY organized everything well, as if he intended to become a great man, and tells her to enjoy looking at them and to take her time.

He has an entire folder with neatly arranged awards and report cards. One of them says that he is a nice boy with sense of responsibility, follows rules, very neat, but that he lacks social skills and not good at collaboration with classmates. Another shows that he always ranks number 1 in his class.

(13 minutes in)

JY walks home alone, YJ sits in her home in the dark. They both look Sad. YJ cries as she stares at her TV.

Sang-Hyun dressing daughter, watches Ri-Won get dressed and complains that he's wearing perfume and thinking about putting padding in her bra. He is complainig because he wonders why she is trying so hard to look nice.

She is warm to her baby but totally cold to SH. When he drops her off, sees that guy who works at her company, the one who tried to hit on her at the bar. Goes to JY's restaurant to complain, wondering why RW hired him. Drinking soju. Worries that this guy is a womanizer like he used to be and will try to make a move on her. Says he can't even divorce her because they're not married. Leaves to pick up Da-In. (their daughter)

YJ drinks pomegranate juice with Joo-Ran who no longer drinks alcohol. JR says maybe YJ should work, but YJ says she just want to do nothing, and JR agrees that she should.

SE is looking at the fellow cop (Officer Go) as he's on the phone with his ex-girlfriend and she tells him that she is getting married. He was apparently dumped because he failed at the police exam many times before and she got tired of waiting. She was his first love? Their superior (woman) comforts him, and he leaves to take a break.

After he leaves, Superior says she feels bad for him, but that he is too innocent and can't forget his first love, and that can be a burden for the woman, a lifelong headache.

JY serves a couple at his restaurant and steps out as they eat dessert. SE comes to find him at a nearby park bench. Says she wants  to drive him home and have a "drive date" with him. Asks him if he's not cold. They drink canned coffee together. JY looks... concerned.

Joo-Ran goes to see a doctor. Exam results seems like she has a cancerous tumor. (NOOOOO!) Back in her car, she calls YJ, but hangs up and calls Soo-Jae. He says to come to eat with her, but sounds busy.

Later, she sits there while he's on the phone arguing with CEO about the casting of his next movie. JR scolds him for rejecting the idol actor, and calls him a snob. Then she complains that he is selfish and only thinks about his own problems and never thinks about her. He says that all she does is get dumped by her blind dates and how is that a big deal? (Ouch.) She leaves tells him that he is selfish and stuck-up. Goes to her car and breaks down crying.

YJ sleeping, dreaming (thinking?) about her past.

We see her blowing bubbles and laughing.

[End of Part 1]

I am beginning to wonder:  When SE went into JY's room, did she see JY's memories of YJ?  Is she pretending and testing when she was asking YJ about her boyfriend?  

JY still loves YJ so much and can't bear to see her live like this.  YJ probably thinks he is happy.
I know they still love each other but I can't help but think that YJ has to stop running away from her problems.  You'd think from her brother's experience she would have learnt.  Life throws us curved balls.  We can't just quit whenever we like.  What happens to "till death do us part?"  I am getting a little impatient with so much misery.  

So yes, YJ did have a child as all of you guys predicted, however I think it is the surgeon's child, not JY's. This is a relief to me that at least JY was stripped of the experience to be a father. It seems like YJ and her husband were happy together until the child died. There was a long flashback showing that they were a happy family until the accident... She went through so many traumatic experiences :(

The scene replaying YJ's child's death was really hard for me to watch. YJ was working as the hair stylist for models in Lisbon, and all of the models knew and were nice to YJ's daughter. But anyway, YJ was buying a cake at a cake shop when her daughter looked out the window of the store. One of the models had just given her the cat doll we saw in the previous ep, and the daughter happened to see a real cat wandering in the street. At first, she just laughed and waved at the cat to say hi. The scene then cuts to YJ, who is talking to the owner of the store, who gives her a few egg tarts that her daughter loves. When he turns around, though, her daughter is gone. YJ exits the store, calling "Chae So Ri!!!"(the daughter)'s name. She walks a few blocks while calling her name (still calmly) when she sees a crowd gathered around something. She goes over to see what happened as well... and that's when she found out her daughter had been hit by a car :bawling: the poor child must have followed the cat around town...

The scene after shows the funeral. I have to say, I am not a crier especially when watching dramas, but this scene made me tear up. Esom portrays this character's pain so well. I really hope YJ ends this drama with happiness, whoever she ends up with.

[Part 2]

YJ is lying in the dark looking at a photo of her and Ho-Chul, looking happy. Thinks back to when she had the baby. HC is completely besotted with the baby and keeps coming back to look at her before he leaves for work. They decide to name her Choi So-Ri - the little (So) daughter born between Choi (him) and Lee/Ri (her).

So-Ri is older and they seem like a really happy family. YJ is working at a fashion photo shoot in Portugal. One of the models gives So-Ri a gift of the cat doll because it is her birthday.

So-Ri says she wants a real cat but YJ says she can't because she is allergic.

HC calls. Looks like he's planned a birthday party for So-Ri, and they are on their way to see him. She's picking up a cake.

Nearby bakery, JY comes out, picks up something for a man on the phone. YJ and So-Ri just miss him and walks into the bakery. So-Ri sees a cat outside.

Bakery. YJ picks up the cake, the lady who works there also gives her some egg tarts. Sees that So-Ri is gone. Sound of car skidding.

YJ walks out to see...

Funeral. SORI CHOI (2015 - 2018) on the gravestone. (so so sad...)

Back to present. YJ in bed looking at the photo.

Back to the past. HC looks sad on the couch while YJ is in bed.

Back to present. Photo is of HC and YJ and So-Ri.

YJ says to herself, "I'm hungry." Heats up instant meal of spicy squid, which is the dish that she loved. (JY and Joo-Ran both made it for her.) Doesn't finish eating it and leaves her apartment. Walks alone in the rain?

She goes to a convenience store. Joon-Young sees her from the outside. (He's holding an umbrella.) He voice-overs: "Because memory is scary, even the memory's owner cannot do what he wants with it."

then he thinks, "I thought I had totally forgotten, but..."

she walks out after buying some food and walks past him. He says, "You're eating instant food again?" He sees she's wearing sandals without socks.

Her: "I ate spicy squid at home, but it tasted bad."

He thinks, "You should have lived well. Instead of appearing to me again, you should have lived well, somewhere."

He says that he will teach her how to make spicy squid.

they go to his restaurant and he cooks. Explains what he is doing while he makes the food. She watches him. She eats.

YJ: This is the taste, I couldn't find this taste in any restaurant.

JY: That is because I made it to your taste. (eats some)

YJ: You can eat spicy food now.

JY: I got used to it. You get used to things, it turns out. Are you working now?

YJ: I'm not working. it's my choice. That's what I want, right now.

YJ: voice over - It hurts. It hurts even when I eat, and it hurts when I don't eat.

JY: (vo) You have to eat to live. No one will help you now, so don't become pathetic. Wake up and get your head on straight.

YJ: (vo) Joon-Young, I know that this warm meal is the last thing you do for me, your firm decision, and the spiciness is your angry scolding. But for now, it hurts. For now, I want to hurt. For now, the only thing I want to feel is pain. Right now, it looks like a thorn. But even that thorn becomes filled with tears like a cactus.

They both get up to leave. JY hands YJ a thermos of soup to take home. Tells her to dress warm, wear socks, and don't skip meals.

Says he will call her a taxi.

JY: (vo) I wish that you are well. Even when I am not there. Always be well, wherever you are.

--

Preview:

JY goes to visit Se-Eun's family. Her brothers are upset that he has a restaurant with just one table, so how can he support a family? And why did he quit being a detective?

(Father says something, but I can't understand it.)

YJ: (speaks formally, probably to Se-Eun) - Yes, in order to catch someone's heart you should have that much courage.

SE: (to Young-Jae) Unni, I have something to ask you.

YJ: What is it?

JR: The first person I thought about was Soo-Jae... Young-Jae, I really want you to be the one to do this for me.

JY: dress warm, wear socks, don't skip meals

YJ: (voice over as she sits in the street and cries) You found it for me again. This time, I will make sure to not lose it.

Just now, 0ly40 said:

Someone tell me please: YJ is now a divorced woman? :( Did the doctor leave her alone after their daughter died?

I haven't had time to update to the last episode, but I want to know.

I think YJ is divorced.  Probably the couple could not take the pain of losing their child.  

After watching Ep 13, I am sad to know that YJ has gone through so much from the start.  She wants to be in pain since cannot go back and change it.  All those mother who lost their child either in the womb or after wards can relate to what she is going through.  I wish the Doctor would have stayed and helped her recover since it was also his and the love both had towards that child was immense.  I think he is also in pain and hence wanted to anything that YJ asked including divorcing her even though he is still in love with her.  I would have wanted to know the reason why she married him in the first place since she was more grounded after she broke up with JY and broke his heart.  Did she not want to break up with him then?  We all know that he loved her more, cared for her more - which has been shown to us viewers.  But YJ is the quiet one who hides her happiness and pain.  I was happy to see JY grown up so much over the last few years that he wants her to be happy.  That was really big of him.  How would the writer disclose the reason for her divorce, the death of her child - would be her brother or long time friend or JY 's sister or brother-in-law who will inadvertently let the cat out of the bag.  I think JY will move heaven and earth to be with her if he know she is still in love with him and all the pain she is going through because of the loss of her child. I am also glad that YJ realized that JY found something that she had lost and that she won't lose it again.

Is SE trying to find out if YJ is JY's first love.  I think bringing the officer's first love depiction into the drama will make SE think about her and JY and if he is over his first love.     

mmmm trying to hold out for tomorrow s episode...But I keep reading here preview showed that JY found something that YJ lost? Wonder what that is, love? Or rather a new purpose in life (him becoming a chef to offer comfort to his guests with food)? So for YJ to realize she was already doing what she loved (styling job in Lisbon) before all came down and she dropped everything. And now its time for her to start over again.

I believe I saw some BTS about JY and YJ interacting together in Lisbon (and come on, the main picture of this drama is the OTP together in Lisbon), so I still hold the faith JY would also wake up like YJ and (yes again) come out of his comfort zone/loose his righteous way and do something that has to be done in stead of something that should be done. That he musters the courage to talk things out with SE (something like she deserves to be with someone who has the same devotion for her as she has had for him, since clearly he has only been the receiving party in their relationship and he seems to start feeling somewhat unease and apologetic towards her like YJ did towards him), before they marry and he makes her a divorcee. Like they are talking about marriage, but I don't believe I have heard him express his love for her once unlike how he was towards YJ. In the end he would not make her happy by marrying her cos 1) his thoughts are still with another woman  2) he would not be able to provide for her/their family if he continues his dream Small Table in Korea 3) he would make her drop her career and leave her family to follow him to Portugal. 

I just remember him confirming to her that he 'likes' her, cos she puts effort in maintaining their relationship like he used to. This is not why we watch Kdrama s for right lol.

And of course his realization would only come after YJ already left Korea (since she has refound her new purpose in life and went back to her styling job in Lisbon maybe?), so this will be his own decision and determination and not something he does for YJ. And after he settles the matter with SE, he leaves Korea again for Lisbon, where he was happy. This time of course like fate he meets YJ there and finally they are in the same pace and stage in their lives where they can start over again.....Mmmm my imaginative happy ending for the OTP :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK-OeqCdQKrrigzgQ0TAO

Seeing YJ now like death walking around living in darkness dressed in black with raveled sweater and slip on shoes with her cold toes showing.  As if life has no meaning and she has no care, because she can't escape the pain that is everywhere she looks and filling every pore within her body and soul.

How hard would it be to see someone you loved broken, lost and nothing like the person she use to be...

JY no matter his struggle can't  look the other way he is hurting inside too in worrying about YJ and thinking what happened to you.

He does his best by her in giving her another warm meal and maybe even hoping she would ease his mind and heart.  Yet she as always holds so much inside and yet even if there are little words he says all  those things that remind her to keep living and without pouring out all he must be thinking keeping it simple in just keep eating, where socks and keep warm take care of yourself...

Sometimes when the only person you have to hold onto is yourself and your not even sure if life is worth all the pain you have to endure.  When darkness and despair are your best friends.  When there is no rest and the only time you feel alive is when you're dreaming.   Hearing JY saying those things to her showing love through even concern might just be that life preserver of hope thrown at just the right time in making a difference in her life...

5 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

Thank you @angelwingssf

Thank you @dramaninja

They are. They agreed mutually, he was there for her through the pain of losing their child,  and then he accompanied her back to Korea to help her get settled. 

Their dinner @ JY's restaurant was a goodbye 

51 minutes ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Seeing YJ now like death walking around living in darkness dressed in black with raveled sweater and slip on shoes with her cold toes showing.  As if life has no meaning and she has no care, because she can't escape the pain that is everywhere she looks and filling every pour within her body and soul.

How hard would it be to see someone you loved broken, lost and nothing like the person she use to be...

JY no matter his struggle can't  look the other way he is hurting inside too in worrying about YJ and thinking what happened to you.

He does his best by her in giving her another warm meal and maybe even hoping she would ease his mind and heart.  Yet she as always holds so much inside and yet even if there are little words he says all  those things that remind her to keep living and without pouring out all he must be thinking keeping it simple in just keep eating, where socks and keep warm take care of yourself...

Sometimes when the only person you have to hold onto is yourself and your not even sure if life is worth all the pain you have to endure.  When darkness and despair are your best friends.  When there is no rest and the only time you feel alive is when you're dreaming.   Hearing JY saying those things to her showing love through even concern might just be that life preserver of hope thrown at just the right time in making a difference in her life...

I have two kids,  and I can't even imagine the pain of losing one of them.  

Esom is doing an amazing job showing the unimaginable pain YJ is in. 

2 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

After watching Ep 13, I am sad to know that YJ has gone through so much from the start.  She wants to be in pain since cannot go back and change it.  All those mother who lost their child either in the womb or after wards can relate to what she is going through.  I wish the Doctor would have stayed and helped her recover since it was also his and the love both had towards that child was immense.  I think he is also in pain and hence wanted to anything that YJ asked including divorcing her even though he is still in love with her.  I would have wanted to know the reason why she married him in the first place since she was more grounded after she broke up with JY and broke his heart.  Did she not want to break up with him then?  We all know that he loved her more, cared for her more - which has been shown to us viewers.  But YJ is the quiet one who hides her happiness and pain.  I was happy to see JY grown up so much over the last few years that he wants her to be happy.  That was really big of him.  How would the writer disclose the reason for her divorce, the death of her child - would be her brother or long time friend or JY 's sister or brother-in-law who will inadvertently let the cat out of the bag.  I think JY will move heaven and earth to be with her if he know she is still in love with him and all the pain she is going through because of the loss of her child. I am also glad that YJ realized that JY found something that she had lost and that she won't lose it again.

Is SE trying to find out if YJ is JY's first love.  I think bringing the officer's first love depiction into the drama will make SE think about her and JY and if he is over his first love.     

It pretty much showed that HC, the doctor, did everything he could to help YJ with the pain. He put his own aside to be there for her. He knew he lost everything - his child,  his wife - but he was there for YJ, even accompanied her back to her family in Korea, and helped her get settled in. But, ultimately, a person has to deal with such pain on his/ her own to be able to go forward. YJ has to find her own strength,  and the doctor also needs to go through his own grieving process. Sadly,  at the point of their final goodbye after the dinner, there wasn't anything else he could do to help her. There was even a hint that he thought that maybe JY could. 

@chickfactor .. Thank you so much for your recap. I now knew what was going on to my JY and YJ last night (after kept refreshing the page like crazy lol). 

Seem not much telling on back stories about YJ marriage (at least as much as I want to know and dying to know that I want the less 3 episodes to all come tomorrow .. ha). Watching the story gave cancer to JR, first I thought what the heck .. again? Are there too much cancer in Kdrama land..almost every dramas...and in ep13 .. and to JR, suddenly? .. for what?

Then, I thought to myself that probably the writer would like to point out that everything can happen .. poping out of nowhere when you are not expecting (am I sacrastic?). But when looking at YJ brother during JR bursting out at him, he definitely tried to hide his emotion. He was very much effected by her words and action. Then I realize that YJ and her brother (SJ, right) are the same. They appear lively, happy, strong/confident. But actually they are scare .. scare to really love someone. It seem to me that they are scare that the ones they love would left them (like their parents, girlfriend, daughter). For them, it might be less hurtful to not love or walk away first.

I will watch the whole thing when the sub came out to get my real feel (as well as keep refreshing this thread to read your cooments which are all insighted). I will wish for tonight and next Thursday to come fast :) & I hope for my JY YJ to be together happily at the end.

Hi everyone, found time to watch Friday's episode. 

What is it with this drama writer, I keep tearing up and crying at every plot development.

JR having operation and crying in the car made me cry tears of sadness for her. I think every woman can understand. 

I'm not a fan of JY's fiance. 

She must have seen a photo of JY and YJ, maybe it's the one he tore up and thrown into the bin in an earlier episode. There was another photo that he actually taped up in his room too. Maybe he kept it and slipped it into his achievements file.

I can understand YJ's depression and actually I hope she continues to be depressed until she snaps out of it. No one can force her, she has to go through it and come out of it herself.

I think after having a meal with her and cooking her favourite dish, YJ found herself again. I hope she gets to work passionately again. 

From the preview I saw that the fiance's family has lots of opinions about JY. I hope the relationship ends because I don't think that is the ultimate happiness for JY. 

2 hours ago, tali58 said:

I have two kids,  and I can't even imagine the pain of losing one of them.  

Esom is doing an amazing job showing the unimaginable pain YJ is in. 

2 hours ago, tali58 said:

It pretty much showed that HC, the doctor, did everything he could to help YJ with the pain. He put his own aside to be there for her. He knew he lost everything - his child,  his wife - but he was there for YJ, even accompanied her back to her family in Korea, and helped her get settled in. But, ultimately, a person has to deal with such pain on his/ her own to be able to go forward. YJ has to find her own strength,  and the doctor also needs to go through his own grieving process. Sadly,  at the point of their final goodbye after the dinner, there wasn't anything else he could do to help her. There was even a hint that he thought that maybe JY could. 

I hope I did not come across as crass by saying that he did not do anything for her.  He did and this is something no one knows how to take care of.  He lost his child too, and he needs to grieve.  It would have been better if they grieved together.  But they could not - because the connection between them was Sori.  They should have stayed together and after a while they could have divorced.  But that might not be possible for some of them.  The presence of that other person also brings about pain and suffering.  It is something one cannot have a cookie cutter recipe for it.  Every individual case is different.  We can certainly say that YJ is going through depression, seeing her child killed that way (even though they did not show it) and every time she probably closes her eyes, she can see it like a movie that keeps playing without a pause button.  Only time heals such disasters in life.  

Ep. 14 Text Preview - Translated:

준영은 세은(김윤혜 분)과의 결혼 승낙을 받기 위해 통영으로 향한다. 영재만을 향해 있던 스물일곱의 준영처럼 세은은 마냥 설레는데. 설렘도 잠시, 준영과 세은은 4년 만에 처음으로 다투게 된다. 한편, 영재(이솜 분)의 진정한 홀로서기를 응원하는 준영(서강준 분)과 그 마음을 십분 이해한 영재는 그 길로 뒤돌아보지 않고 집으로 향하는데.

Joon-Young goes to Tong-Young with Se-Eun to receive permission for their marriage (from her family). Se-Eun's heart flutters endlessly, just like 27-year-old Joon-Young's feelings towards Young-Jae. But that fluttering only lasts so long, and Joon-Young and Se-Eun fight for the first time in 4 years.

Young-jae has come to fully understand Joon-Young's sincere cheering for her to become strong on her own, so she doesn't look back and heads home.

--

My thoughts about 13:

Wow. Well, the broad strokes of what happened were expected. Seeing it happen was... something else.

I was definitely wrong that the little girl was too old to be Young-Jae's daughter. I guess I was in deep denial.

It turns out she was born in 2015. (JY and YJ broke up in 2013.) Definitely Ho-Chul's daughter.

Ah, so sad... I cannot imagine such pain. I've heard that many married couples cannot stay together after a tragedy like this because seeing each other reminds you constantly what happened. And imagine the guilt that Young-Jae feels. It would have been great if Young-Jae and Ho-Chul could stay together to heal each other, but I guess they could not.

I feel like romance isn't even on the table. Young-Jae is probably in pain every moment that she is awake. Not even a year has passed since the tragedy. It will take her a while to feel even halfway normal again.

I do find it very hard to believe that Ho-Chul did not know that Joon-Young was the chef of that restaurant. A reservation-only restaurant with only one table, and you don't know who the chef is? I think Ho-Chul brought Young-Jae there on purpose. A final selfless act of love for his wife?

I would feel okay if this ends with friendship. These two have really been through so much, and if Joon-Young helps Young-Jae recover even just a little bit, with just human-to-human love, not romantic love - it will feel like a triumph.

I think the show has made it clear that Se-Eun is not the one. These two still barely know each other. I hope before they marry, they figure that out. Se-Eun will learn and grow and probably end up with that heartbroken cop in the cubicle next door. (Because... K-drama!)

Soo-Jae, make it up to Joo-Ran!

Joo-Ran, please recover.

Archived