[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

Just dropping to post this. Hi @USAFarmgirl!! Enjoying the fall yet? I so love this season. Not only do I love the colors of the trees but I get to reveal my true self on Halloween -- "Wicked Witch," of course. :D  Hi there too @angelwingssf, long time no see! 

This scene from Episode 1 is a metaphor of their relationship.

6vUPPal.jpg

They were coming home from their first date at the fairgrounds. The guy JoonYoung (JY) couldn't eat spicy food but before he could tell YoungJae (YJ), she started raving about spicy food. To please her, JY went along with it and got wrecked by the extra hot sauce. To douse the fire in his mouth, he grabbed a beer from a nearby beer drinking contest and chugged it like it was water. After a few more rounds, he ended up winning the contest he had accidentally joined. His prize was this glass trophy and a stuffed toy.

Now, why is this a metaphor of their relationship?

Because for JoongYoung, she was a trophy. He never thought he would have a girlfriend like her, so vivacious, bright and fun, when he was such a nerd. He regarded her like she was the best thing to happen in his life. Her words had the power to make him change his career path from Engineering to Law Enforcement. He would cater to her needs like crazy and would guard her jealousy from others. His moods were dependent on his on-going relationship with hers.

In contrast, for YoungJae, he was her stress-reliever. The stuffed toy represented what JY was to her. She always hankered for a stress-reliever because of her hard life. That's why she liked eating spicy food, right? Because they were "stress-reliever."

To her, JY was her personal, walking-and-talking plush toy that she could hug whenever she was stressed out. See? The stuffed toy even looked like JoongYoung with those round glasses.  lol.

She found him cute and lovable. His childishness and naivety made her laugh. And his thoughtfulness (like preparing a CD for her and going on an impromptu beach trip because she said she wanted to see the beach) made her forget her troubles. He de-stressed her. But because she viewed him as her comfort toy, she downplayed and pooh-poohed his emotional needs.

To me, this ill-conceived perception of each other as "trophy" and "stress-reliever" is the root source of their misunderstanding. The trophy and stuffed toy are the symbols of their problems in the relationship.

Their opposite personalities aren't the problem. All couples have them, anyway. Like, my husband hates roller coaster rides, I love them. My husband loves golf, I hate it. My husband can't eat shellfish; no mollusk (escargot! oysters!) or crustacean (lobsters, crabs, and shrimp) is safe from me.  But there's always the middle ground for loving couples.

His jealousy and insecurity, and her lack of empathy toward his feelings are only the outward signs of their faulty view of each other. When he stops thinking of her as his trophy, then he can respect her work space and clients, and her independence.  When SHE stops seeing him as her lovey or squishy toy, then she can begin to respect his feelings.

As of Episode 5, I don't see them changing their wrong preconceived notion of love and the role of the other person in a relationship. But we'll know better as the story progresses. This is only their second encounter anyway. 

source: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/10/21/the-third-charm-the-metaphor

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wld be curious to see how YJ would react or rather how the writers would spin the story when the situation is reversed especially when their characters are so different. I wonder how different it would be from what I expect (ie quite mundane).

Whatever the outcome, I have a feeling that the break ups/patch ups will all boil down to this single learning point...like because, love despite.

We already know JY is head over heels but I only saw the intensity of YJ’s these two eps. He loved despite knowing that she can be a stubborn mule and her realizing more so now when she knows how petty/ possessive he can get. 

It’s a journey and I hope they get there in the most interesting way possible.

the plastic surgeon’s voice is good! Other than diction, I thought he sang beautifully one of my favorite songs.

17 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

Hi Packmule3 -  Long time no see for sure.  Missed all your posts and deductions.  Are you watching the third charm.  Looking to be a decent drama so far and love the OTP.  Looking forward to your posts too.  

I'm behind a few episodes. I lost dramafever so I've to resort to other sites. I'm also blogging about this show so I might pop in and out of here although it feels weird double-posting. 

Yes, it's looking like a "worthwhile" drama but I usually jinx myself after praising a kdrama; best for me to shut up now. hahaha. 

The actor, I must admit, is a good-looking fellow. See you later. 

19 minutes ago, rocat said:

I wld be curious to see how YJ would react or rather how the writers would spin the story when the situation is reversed especially when their characters are so different. I wonder how different it would be from what I expect (ie quite mundane).

Whatever the outcome, I have a feeling that the break ups/patch ups will all boil down to this single learning point...like because, love despite.

We already know JY is head over heels but I only saw the intensity of YJ’s these two eps. He loved despite knowing that she can be a stubborn mule and her realizing more so now when she knows how petty/ possessive he can get. 

It’s a journey and I hope they get there in the most interesting way possible.

the plastic surgeon’s voice is good! Other than diction, I thought he sang beautifully one of my favorite songs.

I think she will be more upset about him being a cop now that he got hurt.

What JY is doing is synonymous with how most girls behave while in a relationship and see nothing wrong with it or why their guys should be angry in the first place.

Yes, it's a known fact that men can be pushy and stalkers if they want you even though they know u are married not to talk of being in a relationship.

It depends on the ladies involved to set a limit when necessary cos on some occasions, relationships have been ruined by ignoring attitudes like this.

She is giving him a head on without realising it.

She bumps into him ocassionary yet ignorantly crave his company.

What then does she want the guy to do?

He will subtly keep on breaking the ice until he start occupying space in her heart and it seems that has already started.

She looks angry at the last scene in episode 8 and I ask, why should she be angry.

She is literary flirting with the other guy while acting innocent.

She knows her boyfriend is the jealous type. Sometimes, being super jealous doesn't mean lack of trust. Lots of things can make a partner the jealous type and she knows also that her boyfriend isn't comfortable with the Dr. Why always hang out with him.

There are lots and lots of things that going wrong with this relationship starting from the very beginning. 

maxresdefault.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRse6ZQe8NUOEbv49djH3cmaxresdefault.jpg

@packmule3  About time you got yourself back here!!! Been missing you!!! You already know how I feel about this drama if you have read my posts so I won't repeat that, but I sure am glad you joined us I believe this one is worth it.  It's writing is a bit different and yet it's so moving and in so many ways!!  Welcome back and great to see you here!!!

To me, this ill-conceived perception of each other as "trophy" and "stress-reliever" is the root source of their misunderstanding. The trophy and stuffed toy are the symbols of their problems in the relationship.

Their opposite personalities aren't the problem. All couples have them, anyway. Like, my husband hates roller coaster rides, I love them. My husband loves golf, I hate it. My husband can't eat shellfish; no mollusk (escargot! oysters!) or crustacean (lobsters, crabs, and shrimp) is safe from me.  But there's always the middle ground for loving couples.

His jealousy and insecurity, and her lack of empathy toward his feelings are only the outward signs of their faulty view of each other. When he stops thinking of her as his trophy, then he can respect her work space and clients, and her independence.  When SHE stops seeing him as her lovey or squishy toy, then she can begin to respect his feelings.

Great post.  I love reading it. I agree that Joon-Young puts Young-Jae on a pedestal ever since their first meeting.  It stemmed from his insecurities and lack of confidence as an awkward youth.  She was his superwoman, swooping in to save the helpless, not unlike a young boy fantasizing about a comic book superhero.  I don't think he ever thought of himself as her equal as she always seems cool, confident with nah a thought of insecurities.  After all, she didn't hesitate to fight the most popular girl on campus on her turf.  I think part of the fault for this rose-colored viewpoint is that Young-Jae rarely allows him to see her vulnerability.  Part is also Young-Jae seeing the same in his parents, where his father is submissive to his mom.  When JY/YJ argue, we can hear in his voiceover how hard he wills himself to take her position.  Even if he is in the wrong, I think his voiceover should not have been so pro-Young-Jae.  I miss hearing him taking a different stand than hers and stops being on the defensive.  I think that is important to balance out the relationship.

IMG_0264

This sequence where Young-Jae consoles his father highlights the unusual matriarchal flavor of the On family where both mother and sister are emotionally expressive while the men internalize their feelings.  His mom obviously is the boss at work and at home.  Makes me wonder if the scriptwriter is a low-key feminist!  :D Joon-Young takes after his dad's sensitive and perfectionist genes, sharing more than just their taste in ramyun.  Down to the pettiness as well.  Yet, I hope Joon-Young realizes that his opinions matter in a relationship. Please don't sacrifice and stifle his voice for love, especially with a strong woman like Young-Jae.  I would be sad if he is penalized for his sensitivities and insecurities.  I want Joon-Young to blossom in term of confidence before their third meeting.

IMG_0263 2

8 hours ago, rocat said:

Love despite. I love that phrase.  Hope I can borrow it for personal use!

What do you think of Sang-Hyun and RiWon's scenes in episode 8?  Any thought?

18 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I just have to give special love to Soo-Jae. What an amazing actor. All the struggles and indignities of having lost the function of your legs expressed so heartbreakingly in his face. I feel for him so much. He makes me want to cry.

Yes, yes, Soo-Jae is my favorite second lead here.  Every little daily thing we take for granted is a monumental task for him and he doesn't see his effort as something to celebrate but as something he can't fail.  There's humility in the life he lives, I don't see frustration.  What an attitude.  It's heartbreakingly brave, the kind of life he leads, whereas Joo Ran is a little shallow for me at the moment about her quest to get a boyfriend. I can't see for the life of me how these two will get together at this point.  I love how he wrote Joon-Young's personality into his fictional cop character.  He is such a sweet and perceptive soul.  

23 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

I think it's the imperfections that make this drama so perfect for me and now that jealousy has been felt by both and I was a bit surprised that YJ stayed in hiding and didn't come out.  It could have been a mixture of surprise not the good kind or in wanting to see and hear everything for herself.  But in a way I am glad she is feeling it and it would seem another lesson is being learned.  It's funny though JY was upset about her washing a mans hair but not so worried about sharing a can of peaches in his PJ's in the middle of the night or in holding or touching another woman's foot.  I don't doubt the innocence in his actions believe me, but still if it would have been her in that same situation I pretty much know what he would have said and done...

Hiya, I am glad we all are here to see this drama through. ^^ IMO, Joon-Young lack of awareness is supposed to show Young-Jae how things that started out innocently can escalate into something more when it comes to feelings.  For Young-Jae, she was firm in the beginning to maintain a platonic relationship with Ho-Chul, not understanding why her BF would feel jealousy.  I don't think she ever understood why Ho-Chul was not to be trusted.  Aside from gaining this perspective, there's the overdue lack of gratitude and appreciation for Joon-Young's loyalty or even characters.  He is a kind person who treats everyone thoughtfully and respectfully.  Whereas Joon-Young is always public about his love for her, she finally knows it's important to show her love as well.  I'm glad she did with the station visit and we will also see how she reacts in the next episode, aside from jealousy.  

For Joon-Young, I hope to see him be more appreciated of the positive qualities that make him JY.  Stop seeing it as a character weakness that makes him inferior to his GF.  Maybe someday, he will also puts RiWon in her place.

23 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This is such irony :lol: because in RL, he is very musical and sings so.so.very well...

Let's post this for our second lead LOL.  BTW, Don't be a stranger, come by or I will tag you when the tide has turned in their relationship :lol:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Let's post this for our second lead LOL.  BTW, Don't be a stranger, come by or I will tag you when the tide has turned in their relationship :lol:

I still come by and check out the thread and recaps because I enjoy reading all the insights and analysis on the characters and their relationship which also opened my eyes to things I otherwise wouldn't have noticed. I just can't stand watching their misunderstanding hurting themselves and hurting each other.

Thanks for sharing the clip! He's such a pleasant discovery to add to Jo Seung Woo and Jo Jung Suk. I love musicals! and definitely have a special fondness for guys with musicality :wub:

the jealous YJ i hope she will go to them and introduce herself as JY did last time am now curious how YJ will respond and handle the situation.

a39374cdbd2059ed03b4aeaebbdc38be9ba7c7e2

it is really interesting when JY and the female cop  are similar in many ways

Spoiler

d98a419a842ff890fbd2acbdf4996be041afb362173219994405157a9391fc27cd92ff48b887e7b290d88dde61c69fb368376cb22b3ad3d3289877eff27745379f710863c485f3cc509efdb27381520fe2a00f0752dcd00cdabb28b5aa41fc85997c3f95

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I still come by and check out the thread and recaps because I enjoy reading all the insights and analysis on the characters and their relationship which also opened my eyes to things I otherwise wouldn't have noticed. I just can't stand watching their misunderstanding hurting themselves and hurting each other.

Thanks for sharing the clip! He's such a pleasant discovery to add to Jo Seung Woo and Jo Jung Suk. I love musicals! and definitely have a special fondness for guys with musicality :wub:

Min Woo Hyuk's voice is incredible. He's one of my favorite Korean singers and musicals actor. His range is ridiculous and off the charts.There are many videos of him on "Immortal Songs", where he holds the record for highest score in the show's history. He's a great storyteller, so his performances are always like mini musicals. There are also videos of him competing on "Singing Battle," (singing duels between professional singers - SO fun!) and from stage musicals he's been on: "Le Miserables," "Wicked," "Aida," and some others. You can also see episodes from when he was on "House Husband," with his family. 

I don't know the rules here on posting links to YouTube, otherwise I'd post one from "Immortal Songs." Amazing tenor.

1 hour ago, tali58 said:

Min Woo Hyuk's voice is incredible. He's one of my favorite Korean singers and musicals actor. His range is ridiculous and off the charts.There are many videos of him on "Immortal Songs", where he holds the record for highest score in the show's history. He's a great storyteller, so his performances are always like mini musicals. There are also videos of him competing on "Singing Battle," (singing duels between professional singers - SO fun!) and from stage musicals he's been on: "Le Miserables," "Wicked," "Aida," and some others. You can also see episodes from when he was on "House Husband," with his family. 

I don't know the rules here on posting links to YouTube, otherwise I'd post one from "Immortal Songs." Amazing tenor.

Yes he is! I have of course checked him out ;) because I was on the verge of SLS meeting him the first time in ep.4 :lol:

@bedifferent Sure, feel free to use! I didn't coin it - it's a phrase I got from a movie (Set It Up) I watched. It struck a chord and it has stayed stuck in my head ever since. Good show that is meaningful - not quite like Love, Actually but somewhat in the same vein. The things you learn from being a couch potato are sometimes rather useful.

SY and RW. Hmm...they feel like an old couple, advanced in their years and all too used to each other.

RW is a precocious child in an adult body, all-knowing, a bit smart-alecky and doesn't mince her words...or riddles sometimes. She's smart like her brother, but also confident and street-wise. I also like her cynicism/sarcasm. She has what I call a deep soul - she chooses who she reveals herself to, otherwise you'll see her as a bossy punk who bullies her brother.

Whereas, SY,  in short, is an insecure teenager with raging hormones. Flashy, shallow and utters sweet nothings all too often without meaning them. He likes being worshipped and ditches partners callously. He seems to have it all but he really does not. I rather liked the part where he was whopped by RW and ended up in a crying mess. She seems to be the only one who can affect him like that thus far. He has some growing up to do, like his best friend.

I'd be surprised if they don't end up together cos all the signs seem to be pointing towards that.

Another pair of 'opposites' like JY and YJ and JY's parents? Perhaps. 

6 hours ago, tali58 said:

don't know the rules here on posting links to YouTube, otherwise I'd post one from "Immortal Songs." Amazing tenor.

Unless it’s related to the drama , we usually recommend peeps to post these  in the actor’s thread instead of here  . If he doesn’t have one , you can start one for him. 

———

In spite of the new external “threat” introduced , I felt that there was great progress between our OTP in the recent episode. Like any new couple , JY & YJ are learning to respect each other’s emotional boundaries & preferences. They are slowly realising it’s not just about “me” or what “I” want or like . They are learning to consider the other person’s feelings., He made it a point to try the spicy chicken feet . She came over with pizza . While we should not be sweating over the small stuff that annoy us , funnily It’s these  seemingly insignificant things that one does for the other that helps cement a relationship .

VEnhTpV.png

I like how in the taxi on the way to the hospital, we got to see how YJ  views JY. She knows he’s a gem & she recognised his efforts . I agree she often does not allow her vulnerability to show because she’s had to be tough & strong all this while . That’s why in some strange way I was happy for the introduction of a 4th wheel in their relationship. This can perhaps help YJ see things from JY’s perspective & gives her the opportunity to “fight “ for the relationship. 

@rocat It does seem like all the pairings are based on opposite personalities. I know the writer keeps trying to make us question if complete opposites can stand the test of time . But I think there is already a template in JY’s parents. JY is exactly like his dad Mr Nitpicker & he’s attracted to YJ who’s very much a more assertive character like his mum :lol:. So in the third phase of their relationship, I can see how the story will end - like his folks it will definitely be a happy ending.

edit: I root for these two...they have such an interesting relationship . The sis can be such a wisecracker, but she does speak the truth. She got to the heart of the matter and made him realise why he needed to stop being such a jerk .

rlSJt3S.png

15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes he is! I have of course checked him out ;) because I was on the verge of SLS meeting him the first time in ep.4 :lol:

:lol:

10 hours ago, triplem said:

Unless it’s related to the drama , we usually recommend peeps to post these  in the actor’s thread instead of here  . If he doesn’t have one , you can start one for him. 

———

In spite of the new external “threat” introduced , I felt that there was great progress between our OTP in the recent episode. Like any new couple , JY & YJ are learning to respect each other’s emotional boundaries & preferences. They are slowly realising it’s not just about “me” or what “I” want or like . They are learning to consider the other person’s feelings., He made it a point to try the spicy chicken feet . She came over with pizza . While we should not be sweating over the small stuff that annoy us , funnily It’s these  seemingly insignificant things that one does for the other that helps cement a relationship .

I like how in the taxi on the way to the hospital, we got to see how YJ  views JY. She knows he’s a gem & she recognised his efforts . I agree she often does not allow her vulnerability to show because she’s had to be tough & strong all this while . That’s why in some strange way I was happy for the introduction of a 4th wheel in their relationship. This can perhaps help YJ see things from JY’s perspective & gives her the opportunity to “fight “ for the relationship. 

@rocat It does seem like all the pairings are based on opposite personalities. I know the writer keeps trying to make us question if complete opposites can stand the test of time . But I think there is already a template in JY’s parents. JY is exactly like his dad Mr Nitpicker & he’s attracted to YJ who’s very much a more assertive character like his mum :lol:. So in the third phase of their relationship, I can see how the story will end - like his folks it will definitely be a happy ending.

edit: I root for these two...they have such an interesting relationship . The sis can be such a wisecracker, but she does speak the truth. She got to the heart of the matter and made him realise why he needed to stop being such a jerk .

@triplem that's why I didn't post a link here. :rolleyes:

Translation of Ep.9 Text Preview:

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/trailer/pr10010947/pm10049882/vo10257928/view

준영(서강준 분)이 다쳤다는 말에 급히 병원으로 달려온 영재(이솜 분)는 세은(김윤혜 분)과 함께 있는 준영을 보게 되고. 영재는 방금 호철(민우혁 분)과 함께 있었다고 고백하게 된다. 오히려 준영은 질투도, 의심도 하지 않는다는 말로 영재를 안심시키는데. 한편, 영재와 주란(이윤지 분)의 헤어샵 식구들은 섬으로 봉사활동을 떠나고. 여기에 호철과 수재(양동근 분), 그리고 준영까지 합류하게 되는데..

Hearing that Joon-Young is injured, Young-Jae rushes to the hospital and sees him with Se-Eun. Young-Jae ends up confessing that she was just with Ho-Chul. Joon-Young tells her that he has no jealousy or suspicion at all and puts her at ease.

Young-Jae and Joo-Ran and the hairshop family go to an island to do community service. Here, they are joined by Ho-Chul, Soo-Jae and even Joon-Young.

Archived