[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I did not hv time to watch live @solucu but JTBC has released some scene highlights 

Aigoo our overly jealous JY has allowed his imagination to run wild , thinking that YJ & Mr plastic surgeon will kiss .Reality was after he left she was busy doing research for the fashion show ...he even refused to pick up her phone. Ahh how sour grapes of him -_-

Spoiler

In typical ahjumma fashion , he was in such a bad mood at work -‘picking at his colleagues & throwing tantrums :joy: . ; ; (SkJ is superb)

Those with SLS must watch this . YJ & bestie- boss sees a TV programme where charismatic Doc is the guest . The ladies were impressed 

Spoiler

Our JY continues to be in a foul mood & insecure as he & colleagues hv lunch & even while having drinks at his Friend’s bar. But I love that they hv a voice over telling us his thoughts 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Omg , he went and check out the competition , lol

Aigoo , he wants to give her the cold treatment for breaking her promise, but yet he’s secretly worried for her safety & follows her 

I love JY despite him being all petty ...he’s a real sweetheart . Realised that YJ left her research file on the train. He ran & tried to hop on the same train & found her file . Sent it back to her anonymously , much to her relief

Spoiler

....to be continued...

The bratty actress comes to get her hair done

Spoiler

He was still being aloof to her even though he was talking warmly to her  bro.

Spoiler

She finally confronted Him & they made up

She had a Long day & fell asleep in the car ..he took her to the beach / lake ...she woke up surprised. She was so moved & they had a real good kiss . He really is a sweetheart .thanks to this drama & Devillish Joy , blessed with  so many deep kiss 

Day of fashion show - Doc was there . He speaks to YJ as she was doing up the bratty actress’s hair. The latter found doc attractive & I Guess wanted to give him a good impression. Seems like she wanted YJ to pretend like they are such good friends. YJ of course , hates these kinds of things - gals start to argue . cat fight 

She pushed YJ on the floor . Meanwhile JY was rushing over with a bunch of flowers ...but he sees doc helping YJ up instead

Eps 6 preview seems like JY  as sweet as he is gets really jealous & insecure . Doesn’t help that doc tells YJ he likes her & JY overheard it 

Think they might break up here 

—-///—-

no matter how wonderful doc seems, I have to say I root for YJ ...a lot . I can see why it won’t work out for them here in 2013 as his insecurities get the better of him. He acts out in a childish way & it  tough for JY as it becomes suffocating  . And them separating now would be very much his doing . However I can tell you I don’t have SLS, and hope for them to be the end game 5 years later. 

@triplem What’s SLS? (And yes, this show and DJ are 2 dramas that showed some genuine, no-holds-barred/natural-chemistry po-pos of late! :wub:)

And this is how much I love this drama, and I only do this when I’m smitten by a drama, I will rewatch the past episodes while waiting for the raw and subbed ones! It also shows the episodes are worth repeat watching...so far. :D

Anyway, after today, I can’t help but think, the PD is moving the plot along really fast...it’s only the 5th episode and we are already into the “2nd charm” of our OTP’s loveline. I guess I started with the idea that their 3rd charm loveline was going to be spread throughout the 16 episodes? 

But watching some of the BTS vids, the PD’s approach seemed breezy and able to work the lovey-dovey and comedic parts well, so I’m hoping the rest of the 10 episodes will not be full of melo drama, involving the subplot of his brother and his ex-gf(?) and from the poster pictures, Joo-Ran end up with YoungJae’s bro??? So they definitely have to develop that....

And also I wonder how many episodes will the plastic surgeon be featured, nothing against him but he’s like a boring chaebol type that’s absolutely the 3rd...wheel. Hahaha...

Of course, So-hee needs to learn and redeem herself. She’s not only bratty to YJ, she pretty much treats all the people around her condescendingly. 

Anyhoo, I will keep in mind what the PD/Esom/SJK said in some interview, that this drama is about ordinary people and enjoy how natural everyone is in their role. :)

I find it a shame, once again, our lead male finds himself back every time his darling gets mugged by this nasty girl:rage:
It's amazing the insecurities he feels, even if I understand, I find that exaggerate, he could have helped his girlfriend but again he thinks only of him, I know he came late, but he could have made a gesture towards her, but he runs away, it is far too exaggerated, she is his girlfriend:confused:

5 hours ago, tali58 said:

Is Drama Fever still showing the show? It's only lists and showing episodes 1-4, but I see people counting on episode 5 ...

Anyone else has this problem?

Yes. I just checked the Dramafever website. There is a message that Episodes 5-6 will be posted at a later date. So it looks like they will not post ep. 6 on Saturday either. No explanation as to why there is a delay. I hope they will post them on Monday, but we will have to see. 

@jbying7 SLS is second lead syndrome :D

5 hours ago, marrez1 said:

It's amazing the insecurities he feels, even if I understand, I find that exaggerate, he could have helped his girlfriend but again he thinks only of him, I know he came late, but he could have made a gesture towards her, but he runs away, it is far too exaggerated, she is his girlfriend

Agreed . That’s why i feel he is immature at this point for her . He’s still thinking a lot about him while in this case it’s about her . 

But he has a lot of redeeming qualities . He will come round & he’s great at making up to her ( or making out with her :P) . The next five years for him will be about his growth 

Very nice realistic drama 

Ratings 2.7%

Just completed the subbed episode. This drama is good in so many ways. For one you  have a very unusual male lead. He's not the usual jerk with a heart of gold. Neither is he a mysterious charismatic tsundere . He ain't a cool and suave detective either . He's the antithesis of everything that you would normally expect of a k-drama male lead.  :joy: . Joon Young makes me laugh and cry with his petty ahjumma like behaviour. I really wanted to slap his  pretty little face so many times....but then he goes and do these things 

xfmmIeI.pngBbUrxUV.png

and like Young Jae ..I am moved , my heart wavers and I forgive him for being so overly dramatic and small minded.  I cannot help but admire SKJ drama choices...he's really played a variety of roles now...this is one of his best. And when he does the voice overs where JY reminisces over his actions , and becomes introspective - admitting that he was being petty and over-reacting , he wins me over. I can't be angry with him for long but I want him to grow. To stop sweating over the small stuff. To trust Young Jae and to be confident in himself.But as we know it won't be in this time frame.  The separation is probably needed for him to realise that he need not make things so complicated as mentioned by YJ in the preview. 

Another thing I love about this drama is the OST and BGM. Really complements the mood of the drama. The supporting cast is great as well. I  love YJ's boss - her dating adventures as a desperately single ahjumma cracks me up all the time.

Just to savour this sweet kiss before the angst goes all storm like tonight :D...I was admiring SKJ's nice forearms when he was leaning to talk to her . The kiss was heartfelt because there was hand movement as well ...ahahaahah

giphy.gif

@triplem you said everything that I felt about the episode!

Is petty part of his character description? Because he is really embodying that very well. But he is also so sweet, sincere and thoughtful I can’t stay angry with him. Loved loved the scene of him bringing YJ to the beach. The scene was very well acted by both. Loved the kiss too. They were so natural and tender with each other :wub:

I hope the angst that is coming up will be well executed and serve as a vehicle for them to grow as individuals and a couple. Bring it on! 

9 hours ago, triplem said:

Just to savour this sweet kiss before the angst goes all storm like tonight :D...I was admiring SKJ's nice forearms when he was leaning to talk to her . The kiss was heartfelt because there was hand movement as well ...ahahaahah

I haven’t yet watched this week’s eps but I could not help but come in here to check things out...then I saw the clip. I was so admiring his biceps too. Hahaha. Such a clever director to maximize aesthetics. Can’t see hand movements though. 

Yep, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Looking fwd to watching the two subbed eps!

I dont know I see both points at the end of the episode today thats not really a good look to me, what do yall think?

The other dude also needs to mind his own business he is doing this on purpose now making things much worse.

They both love each other but they dont quite get each other just yet, but The third time is the Charm. :blush:

14 hours ago, triplem said:

Just completed the subbed episode. This drama is good in so many ways. For one you  have a very unusual male lead. He's not the usual jerk with a heart of gold. Neither is he a mysterious charismatic tsundere . He ain't a cool and suave detective either . He's the antithesis of everything that you would normally expect of a k-drama male lead.  :joy: . Joon Young makes me laugh and cry with his petty ahjumma like behaviour. I really wanted to slap his  pretty little face so many times....but then he goes and do these things 

and like Young Jae ..I am moved , my heart wavers and I forgive him for being so overly dramatic and small minded.  I cannot help but admire SKJ drama choices...he's really played a variety of roles now...this is one of his best. And when he does the voice overs where JY reminisces over his actions , and becomes introspective - admitting that he was being petty and over-reacting , he wins me over. I can't be angry with him for long but I want him to grow. To stop sweating over the small stuff. To trust Young Jae and to be confident in himself.But as we know it won't be in this time frame.  The separation is probably needed for him to realise that he need not make things so complicated as mentioned by YJ in the preview. 

I guess for me YJ is the axis of his world atm, for the better or worse.  When things go great with her, he is walking on clouds and see things through rose-colored glasses.  When things dive due to his insecurities, he becomes Mr Hyde.  None of what we have seen so far in 5 episodes tell us a lot about Joon Young the person or Joon Young the police officer,  we see more him primarily as the boyfriend in love.  As hilarious at his antics are (understandably due this attachment to his first love), I think he is as much in love with the romantic idea of love as the Young Jae he wants to be.  To JY, she is feisty, independent, courageous and kind... thus, he puts her on a pedestal and expects her to act in a perfect manner, in ways that play out and makes sense in his OCD mind.  He's a normal guy who acts all crazy when he is in love but being a perfectionist that he is, every small action by YJ will be amplified and complicated many folds. The jealousy that he feels is only a small part of the potential problems that they will encounter if they continue on as a couple.  The difference in foods, interests, career projection will soon be a point of contention as they are clearly growing into adulthood as different people with different personalities and life goals.  Joon Young is more focused in the presence... we talked before how he actually has no real goal of what he wants to do... so I am wondering if he will outgrow his detective job in the future due to his impending second break up.  After all, he gets into the police work due to a comment from her.  In my mind, I don't think their relationship is built on solid ground yet as Joon Young has not really live for himself apart from Young Jae and her memories (even when they broke up).  He can't exist and reflects only Young Jae you know.  I miss miss miss seeing the boy doing nerdy science things that get his brain cells firing off.  So I am hoping we get to see Joon Young learning to put his own self forward and first before anyone.  Doing so will make him understand more of Young Jae's own desire to live her dreams for herself. Living your own life apart from others allow us to learn to compromise and give space in relationships.  That and also the experience of fully living life by pursuing your interests and learning to communicate gracefully.  I feel JY should have the same passion in his career as her.

Esom and Seo Kang-joon are so attractive when they are together.  I can't help but to post these photos.

20181008_172058_8631.jpg

Spoiler

20181008_172050_6011.jpg

20181008_172301_3575.jpg

Spoiler

20181008_172310_3771.jpg

20181008_172324_0940.jpg

20181008_172341_9367.jpg

20181008_172346_6011.jpg

20181008_172352_9595.jpg

20181008_172421_1436.jpg

20181008_172435_4378.jpg

I love all the comedic moments in Episode 5 (the lunch/dinner with fellow cops salty/bland complaints had me in stiches), as well as this one in a previous episode.  Seo Kang-joon has natural charm but I am also impressed with his comedic chops.  This one just made me realized he may also has a nightly 13-steps Korean skin ritual.

Spoiler

20181008_170140_0207.jpg20181008_172625_4368.jpg

On 10/8/2018 at 11:50 AM, dulcinea1 said:

I must say that, apart from the main couple (which I love), I like the other characters a lot. Especially his sister (On Ri Won). I can't wait for watching how the writer develops her storyline with his bestfriend (Hyun Sang Hyun). I really hope they have a lot of scenes.

On the other hand, I like her boss/bestfriend (Baek Joo Ran), but I find her plot a little repetitive. I wish all her fail dates don't last very long.

Me too, RiWon and Sang Hyun are no where near the personality spectrum so I am totally invested in how they will get together.  What I appreciate and think is a great thing between them is how totally honest they are with each other.  They see each other and accept each personalities as is.  She puts down his playboy and frivolous nature and he puts up with her sarcastic but hardworking personalities.  Their communication is great, they don't hold back.  There won't be unspoken misunderstanding if they ever enter into a relationship.  A total opposite of our OTP and is the basic foundation of any relationship.

Joo Ran is attracted to things that are outwardly physically attractive.  She worries about her own belly fat, weight gain, hair, fashion... mostly her own aging dilemma.  Whereas Dong-jae is physically attractive for the things that cannot be seen visually - his heart, kindness, spirit, perseverance, and optimism.  They are different creatures by society standards, especially in one that places so much emphasis on physical attractiveness.  Dong-jae is overlooked and under appreciated by society.  I am happy that this drama has a cast member that is physically handicapped as it is something more dramas are trying to shed light on the ongoing prejudice and mistreatments of SK's physically challenged community.  I think eventually Joo Ran will discover the true attractiveness of a person lies in his third charm.  

Spoiler

20181008_170306_3491.jpg

20181008_170316_2829.jpg

20181008_170321_6186.jpg

20181008_170312_9038.jpg

BTW, I love the scene at the gas station, how gentle and non-complicated JY treated the situation.  Someone needs help and he was happy to help.  This is one of things both JY and YJ have in common.  They are kind people.

20181008_164556_8518.jpg

On 10/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, mouse007 said:

@triplem agree with you 100% that part of the charm of this drama is that you see a relationship develop between 2 very different people with 2 very different backgrounds and what that actually means. Yes, in the beginning the differences are charming and attractive and new but like you said, after a while, those differences begin to nag at you and it can be a real challenge. It will be interesting to see how their relationship evolves through time since the differences between YJ and JY aren't limited to their backgrounds and personalities but it extends to the way they approach life. 

I found it interesting that JY made a seemingly impulsive choice to drop out of college and become a police officer given his nature. He's a planner and a meticulous one at that so this move is totally out of character for him. I thought that was interesting because with this one choice alone, you can see the impact the YJ has on him. Because this is true when it comes to real life relationships as well, both parties affect the other in one way or another especially if they are opposites. I can't wait to see how both of them evolve because of each other over the years.

PS. I love JY's parents.. they're kinda cute

Yeah, I agree with you 3.  I think Joon-Young will eventually learn to let go of the little things (oh how to cure OCD hahaha) and Young-Jae will learn that it's ok to show vulnerability and leans on someone for comfort.  

I want Joon Young to learn to lower expectations and let go of his perfectionism... Also, please let others fall so they can learn.  I think his kind heart give him more headaches and responsibilities than he deserves.  Other than his insecurities, I love how Seo Kang-Joon gives us an endearing character.

The family members facial expressions :lol:

Spoiler

20181008_171242_8367.jpg20181008_171251_9616.jpg

Credit:  JTBC

AGB Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1       9/28/18     1.804%

Episode 2       9/29/18     1.795%

Episode 3      10/5/18       2.859%

Episode 4      10/6/18       3.374%

Episode 5      10/12/18     2.722%

Episode 6      10/13/18     2.970%

Source

You said it beautifully @bedifferent. Will reply more once I watch 

thanks @7psyche7

@rocat Enjoy the latest episodes. Definitely some fingers interlocking there as they panned out. Or could I be imagining? :lol:

@dramaninja I have not watched the subbed episode, but K nets weren’t impressed with the doc & her decision to eat with him. 

However I do hope the domestic audience will be patient & understand that this is the journey of two imperfect people- finding themselves, learning about love & How to love 

Source

The Third Charm] Ep 6 Seo Kang Joon and Esom fight because of doctor Min Woo Hyuk

third6.png

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Seo Kang Joon fights with Esom because of Min Woo Hyuk "You're narrow-minded" 

1. [+263,-5]
That brat doctor. She said she has a boyfriend, why does he keep coming in... 

2. [+184,-24]
The characters are charismatic but the story development is so frustrating that I don't feel like watching it anymore............................. Does the male lead have to be such a coward? 

3. [+159,-1]
Joon Young said it bothers him and he dislikes it. But why does Young Jae keep meeting that doctor.. And to eat dinner with him on her birthday, that's too much. 

4. [+118,-1]
Esom asks Seo Kang Joon, "You don't believe in me?" But she only does things that causes distrust in her, how can he believe in her? She went to eat at the restaurant they booked earlier with another guy. And it's the guy that confessed to her. Seo Kang Joon said he hates it, She was angry and got out of the car. He took care of her brother and bought her favorite stir fried octopus, but she didn't even call on her birthday. And why is the divorced man so flirty? I watched this at first because of its fresh story, but if this is going to continue, I won't want to watch it anymore.. 

5. [+77,-1]
Scriptwriter, please do something refreshing!!!! Please!

6. [+71,-0]
Is it understandable why she could eat with some other guy when she fought with her boyfriend and got misunderstood? 

7. [+57,-0]
No, but if my boyfriend comes to my house to make a birthday feast for me, I won't call him, I'd be sorry and thankful and run to him because I want to see him. 

8. [+46,-0]
Her boyfriend made food for her, isn't it obvious that he wants to make up with her? What exactly was she thinking to not even give him a thank you call, kept her boyfriend waiting on her birthday and went to eat with another guy? I can't understand it... I can't understand.. On Joon Young isn't a coward, he's normal. Young Jae is fishing around and flirting. As for the doctor... I'm speechless. 

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Seo Kang Joon and Esom fight because of Min Woo Hyuk... will they confirm their feelings for each other?

1. [+765,-10]
They fought because of the doctor, does she have to eat with him on her birthday? I don't get it... 

2. [+462,-7]
I was so angry because I felt Seo Kang Joon's emotions at the end. 

3. [+357,-5]
On Joon Young is timid, but he's a real lover. Young Jae is seriously... Why did you eat with the second male lead???

4. [+315,-6]
I can understand everything, but no matter what, I don't get the part where she went to the place they reserved with him... 

5. [+301,-4]
It's realistic.. The two getting upset at each other is understandable. But Young Jae-ya. At the end, it wasn't right to eat with him. 

6. [+83,-3]
Joon Young is normal, Young Jae and the doctor is abnormal. Joon Young said it clearly that he dislikes it, and they fought because of the doctor, but she went to eat with the doctor? On her birthday? If Joon Young gets angry or if he hits the doctor, she can't say anything. 

7. [+75,-1]
Why did you make the doctor a divorcee?? If he had divorced, he should be more careful with love. I don't understand why he's getting around a girl who has a boyfriend....

I’ve just finished the latest episode. Why no preview :tears:

I felt very sorry for YJ’s brother, especially in the scene where they found out the lift broke down and he had no way to get back to his house other than to rely on JY. I love how caring and perceptive he is as a brother, he knew something was up between JY and YJ and tried to get them to make up by calling JY to make dinner for YJ together. 

Also thought the quarrel in the car was very well done. It felt like I was watching a realistic quarrel between a couple. Felt so sorry for both of them. 

We know the break up is looming, I’m eager to see how they will meet again for the third time, how they would have changed and mature and find their way back to each other. 

Been reading comments about ep 6 and i know not everyone would agree with me but just to share, i love what JY's sister said, calling first is more on the personality of the person and that its bcoz of his pride that he cant call her first.  Thats just true with the way he is acting. And YJ's statement at the end of the ep about him not trusting her, it kinda hurts a lot. 

I understand that he is jealous and doesnt want to be the first to concede, but we also have to give YJ the credit when she called him after he left without a word the other night and for visiting him at home to bring food for his family, especially when her last encounter with his parents wasnt that pleasant at all. Also we have to consider that compared to JY who cooked for her bday bcoz the situation calls for it and not bcoz he planned it, YJ went to his house because she wanted to and not bcoz of an opportunity created by another person. 

While the drive home could have been an opportunity to settle things between them due to JY's insecurities it made matters worst. 

As for taking the Dr. at the restaurant where they made a reservation, i also think its a bit off, but then its her bday and id rather see her have a good dinner instead of just sulking at home. 

Tbh, this drama is way too close to reality. I remember reading a comment about their kisses hehehe, im also enjoying all of them :wub: 

Archived