[Drama 2018] Hide and Seek, 숨바꼭질

0ly40

@chdom  I think you're right and certainly not over-thinking.  There has been something very "off" about this drama from the start, and it's hard to say quite what that it.  It's probably a lot of little things all combined.

The writer really seems to have screwed up in this episode, though, because the characters are doing stuff that doesn't make sense--like EH being so careless, as you mentioned.  I could not believe that he left those evidence drives where they could be found so easily.  And it's even harder to believe since JDP had been breaking into his apartment more than once and was likely to do so again.

This drama was already in trouble but now things have taken a really disappointing turn for the worse. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, mizkorea said:

Oh dear. I want to feel something for CR but I can't even sympathize with her predicaments.  I found myself instead feeling sorry for the real heiress. She lost growing up  with her real family due to that evil man. 

You're doing better than me, then.  I can't stand either character.

It kinda seems like CR is manipulative because she has to be to survive and YJ/SA is manipulative because she has a mean streak like her Grandma.  Neither one of those is good.

This is so frustrating because I would like to be able to like someone, anyone, in this drama and I can't.  But I'm still watching. 

On 10/3/2018 at 7:34 AM, thistle said:

And SA is ticked off about money.  SA has similar personality traits to her birth family.

SA only knows what she wants to know.  She is extremely manipulative.  She doesn't really care what EH wants or what he does.

I disagree.  And, I'll completely admit that if there are teams, I am on Team SA right now as opposed to Team CR.  Why?  For superficial reasons, like not liking the actress (something is just off about her), and b/c CR needs a new stylist ASAP.

Anyway, right now, we don't really know much about SA. I'll admit that there were a few glimpses of a spoiled child in the flashbacks, but shew as just a kid used to having all the attention now suddenly dealing with an insta-sibling.  One whom, as Mom admitted to SA, Mom paid more attention to in the beginning (before SA was kidnapped).  Is that childish and selfish?  Yes.  But you know what?  So is every first child who gets a younger sibling for the first time.  And there wasn't enough time to see how SA would have been if they had grown up together.

Based on her adult life, we see a hard-working  young woman with great affection for her family and her fiance.  So he didn't seem to like her back that much?  Well, she probably thought it was more of his personality.  After all, why stay with her?  Let's be honest here that he was essentially using her.  He didn't have to stay with her, but he did, even agreeing to marriage.  I don't think the fact that SA planned the wedding and everything makes her delusional as many relationships are not equal.  And, again, he went along with it.  He probably excused his behavior saying he was busy with work, but he never said he wanted to break up or move out or anything.

SA (and her mom) thinks EH chose CR for her money and at this point, I'm somewhat inclined to agree.  What did he really know about her?  Other than, he hates the Moon heir, he's been following the Moon heir for years and seeing his outlandish lifestyle, here's Moon's wife and she's kind of putting the moves on him by making him put on rings and pose for photos, CR is supposedly physically attractive and, she has a lot of money.  She's the unattainable for him plus he gets to stick it to Moon.  So I don't it's fair to just blame their failed relationship on SA when EH has been pretty shady himself.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, chdom said:

@thistle Yes! Another thing too... EH who is usually very meticulous at covering his tracks. He got sloppy all of a sudden?

The whole blackmail issue w/ Bozo. There was no kissing in the photos. CR/EH could spin it to say she was merely being comforted because she found out about his mistress. IDK Clearly I’m thinking too much about it. It is a drama at the end of the day.

The comfort angle is not going to fly.  EH is a driver.  He's hired help and should not be physically touching the wife.  At all.  And, in the photos, they are hugging and having a cozy moment.  No one is going to believe he's comforting her.  What's more, for CR to seek comfort from EH says it all.  Moon won't be the one dragged through the mud.  It will be CR who will be portrayed as the heiress and wife who is "slumming it," so to speak, with the hired help.

I mean, hey, personal rant here, but the actress' stylist has her dressed like a trophy wife with her too-thick makeup, overly made up lips, the hair, and the hooker heels so I'm not sure why there should be any surprise when she decides to get handsy with the bodyguard, but regardless, the media (and the rest of the uppercrust cheobol society) will crucify CR if those photos (and Moon's PR spin on them) got out.

18 hours ago, mizkorea said:

Oh dear. I want to feel something for CR but I can't even sympathize with her predicaments.  I found myself instead feeling sorry for the real heiress. She lost growing up  with her real family due to that evil man. 

This is how I feel, too.  Something is so off about this drama that I can't even feel sorry for the people that I'm supposed to feel sorry for.  I also feel sorry for SA as she's just a chess piece or victim in this.  Yes, she's done some nasty stuff recently, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not like she's acting like her grandmother or anything to that degree.  She's just a little blind right now because she saw the guy she was going to marry suddenly fall for a rich heiress.

At this point, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be watching this.  What with the crazy storyline that's somewhat more acceptable in a daily precisely because it's a daily so it moves much faster, combined with the horrible stylist, and the sub par acting, and then not even having a character that you can really like, it's hard to find a reason to like this.  Kdramas for me is a relief from the stress of real life.  You want to believe that right is rewarded and evil is punished.  But these Kdramas, especially the daily makjangs, don't ever really follow through on that.  And, the daily makjangs (which this one feels like except for not being a daily) highlights the complete extremes of behavior.  Just don't know if I want to deal with that right now.

1 hour ago, jechoi1 said:

I disagree.  And, I'll completely admit that if there are teams, I am on Team SA right now as opposed to Team CR.  Why?  For superficial reasons, like not liking the actress (something is just off about her), and b/c CR needs a new stylist ASAP.

As it happens, I dislike all the characters in this show equally.  And it is not through any bias.  I am not on any team.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, thistle said:

@chdom  I think you're right and certainly not over-thinking.  There has been something very "off" about this drama from the start, and it's hard to say quite what that it.  It's probably a lot of little things all combined.

The writer really seems to have screwed up in this episode, though, because the characters are doing stuff that doesn't make sense--like EH being so careless, as you mentioned.  I could not believe that he left those evidence drives where they could be found so easily.  And it's even harder to believe since JDP had been breaking into his apartment more than once and was likely to do so again.

This drama was already in trouble but now things have taken a really disappointing turn for the worse. 

The only thing 'off' about this drama is that the SW chose to have as the female and male lead characters,

2 adults who never really grew out of their childhood behavioral tendencies.

Even as adults, they're unable to release themselves from their own psychological prisons.

CR has been nothing but a broken record reacting in the exact same way that got her nowhere for the last 20 years.

At 9 years old, she was a kid with low self esteem who instantly got back at anyone who provoked her,

thinking nothing of scheming her way as long as she got the end result she wanted.

On top of that, her fear of being abandoned is so great she can't even think straight.

Her SA cosplay which was supposedly her way of doing something for her mentally unwell adoptive mother

was never entirely purely out of love, she had her own agenda.

I effectively gave up on this character around E17 - E18. She's too much of a pain to watch.

This character has not been allowed to have even the slightest of self-realization that 

she needs to change tack or she's going to  end up with the same ole unwanted results.

CR's story line has to effectively be one that ends in a dead end for her

even after she gets her deluded hands on everything she said she wanted.

Only when she's broken will she finally snap out of it and quit deluding herself.

However, with only half the drama done, it's not going to happen soon.

EH is not much better than CR.

The way he complied with YJ's mom forcing him to be with the girl,

it smacks of the same acquiescence when he was 11 and forced to steal alcohol and snacks by his father.

There are certain aspects of his character that resembles his despicable father.

The only reason why I haven't dropped this drama is because the 2 big bad guys are so much fun to watch.

That scumbag kidnapper JPD is much sharper than his son.

The resident devil incarnate Chairman Mun's machinations are even more interesting. 

The scenes where he perverts the contents of his meditational tapes are hilarious.

Even the clown prince of Taesan Group is finally maturing into the pit viper that he's supposed to be.

It should be interesting watching how EH pays the price for underestimating JS as the screws get turned on him.

For some reason I don’t like Eunhyuk although he is the male lead. As a woman I hate how indecisive he is when he didn’t like Soo a, but still going to marry her. Then he was the one at fault but instead of explaining and being sorry, he just cut her off. Instead of getting himself into an affair with Chaerin, he should have been honest about his feeling with himself and Soo A in the beginning. Would it be fair for Soo A if he married her while loving another woman?

i hate the grandmother for how she abuses Chaerin. Clearly, as a child, Chaerin yearns for love. That’s why she comes back to that house again and again, because she trusts them. Chaerin helps the company even when the grandma abuses her because she hopes they will love her if she does something good. The only people who at least show Chaerin love are her adoptive parents although I don’t know strong their love is once they found out Soo A. 

For some reason I see the grandma’s secretary suspicious. I think she have been secretly helping Chaerin although she shows cold face. I have a feeling that she is Chaerin’s mother and is there at the house to take revenge on the grandma. 

I cant wait for the next episodes. Many have predicted that Yeonju will be evil when she knows her real identity. She has been living such a hard life, being trampled over by people, get betrayed be her boyfriend. I can see all that builds up to this moment although feel like Chaerin and Soo a relationship wouldn’t have to be so bad if Eunhyuk didn’t create such a situation. 

So sad, I thought this will be a show I could enjoy, now it is turning into a mess, a concoction of hackneyed themes taken from other dramas. Like many posts, I have lost interest in most characters. The silly little Mun is the only character I look forward too. Maybe not for long, he is beginning to turn into a serious character - a stereotype of nasty, greedy daddy’s boy.

Really looking forward to the ending.

After last week's episode which made no logical sense with the actions of the characters, I am pretty much fed up.  I have not watched the most recent episode, and I am considering dropping.  I am watching a lot of really great shows right now, and this one is NOT one of them.  

This is such a shame because the storyline had promise.  There are characters who could be doing so much more.  But the worst thing is the fact that some of the actors are "phoning it in" with their performances.  Yes, I know I've said it before but it bothers me to see an actor almost rolling her eyes when she is delivering her lines (yes, Grandma, I mean you) and when I see an actor stifling a yawn in the middle of a scene (yeah, Moon, I have seen you more than once) and several others who speak their lines with eyes and faces completely devoid of feeling.

By the way, the one actor who is consistently "bringing it home" is Yoon Joo Sang--Chairman Moon.  His character is rotten but the actor is gold.

I am ticked off, actually, because I wanted to like this show.

My feelings, exactly.  I thought the cast looked pretty strong, but I see it as the writing being so weak that there is really nothing for them to do.  This is supposed to be the halfway point, so it should be rolling along at a better pace than this.

38 minutes ago, msmy said:

My feelings, exactly.  I thought the cast looked pretty strong, but I see it as the writing being so weak that there is really nothing for them to do.  This is supposed to be the halfway point, so it should be rolling along at a better pace than this.

Exactly!  If writing is so wrong that the cast is too bored to be bothered, then the show can't recover.

Archived