[Drama 2018] Hide and Seek, 숨바꼭질

0ly40

On 9/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, dekaron said:

This feels more like a daily drama than a weekend drama

This is exactly what I was thinking.  It has all the hallmarks of a daily makjang drama with the secret births, everyone being related to each other (connected) somehow, the over-the-top "evil" characters, the immediate fast pacing in the beginning.  Kind of strange because it's airing in the weekends, when traditionally the "family" dramas aired.

Nevertheless, I'm still enjoying the drama.  Although, I'll be honest that I started watching this because of Uhm Hyun Kyung.  I first saw her in Defendant, and although her role was minor, I liked how she "silently" acted with her expressions and her eyes.  And, I'll be honest that I'm having a hard time liking Chae Rin's character because of the actress.  I know, I know, but for some reason, I never liked her too much.  I think I first saw her in something called It's OK, I love You (or something like that) and there was something about her portrayal that I didn't like.  I also have the same complaint about her stylist today that I had back then.  So the character Chae Rin is supposed to be a cheobol and she married into even greater cheobol.  And yet, something about her does not look "expensive" to me.  Her hair is all wrong with it being so long and straight and just down, her clothes don't fit the usual image of the cheobol samonim, her shoes are too high with too visible and thick of a platform.  I understand that she's the CEO of a make up company, but her image imo still doesn't quite fit.  But aside from all that, it is very strange how this drama is written.  I'm supposed to sympathize with Chaerin's character, and yet I can't.  She's pathetic and I should feel sorry for her, but there's just that something that is missing so that I do not.

Right now, the character that I am most interested in is Moon Tae San (I think that's his name)--Chaerin's husband.  At first, I just wrote him off as being a typical cheobol idiot--the ones that show up in the daily dramas where they are super dumb (which doesn't make sense if you consider all the education they must have had and the fact that their parents must have come from good stock).  But, he seems to be showing some substance.

For now, I'll keep watching.  I especially  like that I get 2 full-hour episodes in one day, especially on a weekend.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the two leads that are perfectly imperfect.. they have the world against them, they make mistakes but still try to make the choices necessary for their survival and ultimately their happiness.. 

we we have the villains that are really quite despicable.. the grandmother who is evil and hateful, the mother that is so wound up in her own self she can’t see the daughter that has loved her through it all... the father that abused his son, kidnapped another child and is out trying to get money by trickery and ultimately harm to his son again.. the sulking girlfriend that acts like she is so powerful and is hateful and spiteful, using an emotionally fragile person and to some extent emotionally exhausted family to exact her revenge because the guy she wants loves another.. 

it looks like we are getting to some sort of romance soon.. which I’m ready for. I’m seriously tired of this sulking attitude ridden SA. Why can’t she disappear lol! Although, I know she is necessary for the drama. Her attitude in the bathroom with CR was really quite funny.. everything she was saying was the opposite.. he never chased her, wanted her first, begged her to move in together, begged for the engagement or the marriage. She has some serious insecurity to be spouting that nonsense. I was glad to see that CR has no idea who the real person is behind the DNA test, so it really was a good thing she didn’t disclose this info to her mother and SA. I got some sort of spiteful thrill (I’m shocked dramas do this to me) when EH left SA for CR, leaving all his clothes behind that they “so happily” bought together. The fact that she followed him and saw him act caring to CR was something I wasn’t even close to upset about.. 

im excited that CR will ask for a divorce.. I doubt it will be granted any time soon since her “husband” has his ego all damaged and will not want to let her go because EH will be waiting for her.. he won’t want to lose in this. 

Whew, I talked a lot... :))

I was reading another forum, most posters seem to dislike this show or one character or all characters.

I like it when the main characters esp. woman have something to hide or the lead is flawed. She won’t be the downtrodden type who begs for more humiliation, punishment.... she will fight back overtly or covertly.

Lee Yoo Ri had always been spunky in the shows I have seen.

I think she is pretty and shows a wide range of acting abilities. The one who plays SA has been in minor roles in the shows I have seen. She is pretty but does not have an interesting look to me.

I have not watched the male main actor before but the awful grandmother has been in many shows. The last one that I watched had her playing a very similar character. But instead of a company, she had her son do horrible things.The father has played father to Lee before.

I have watched the raw episode 19-20. Cannot make head or tail except SA is ill and sleeping in her mother’s bed.

4 minutes ago, maribella said:

I was reading another forum, most posters seem to dislike this show or one character or all characters.

I like it when the main characters esp. woman have something to hide or the lead is flawed. She won’t be the downtrodden type who begs for more humiliation, punishment.... she will fight back overtly or covertly.

Lee Yoo Ri had always been spunky in the shows I have seen.

I think she is pretty and shows a wide range of acting abilities. The one who plays SA has been in minor roles in the shows I have seen. She is pretty but does not have an interesting look to me.

I have not watched the male main actor before but the awful grandmother has been in many shows. The last one that I watched had her playing a very similar character. But instead of a company, she had her son do horrible things.The father has played father to Lee before.

I have watched the raw episode 19-20. Cannot make head or tail except SA is ill and sleeping in her mother’s bed.

I agree, I’m liking the fact that she isn’t playing the perfect sweet vulnerable girl.. she has been treated terribly and has pains and fears that won’t be easy for her to overcome.. I find it interesting that many don’t seem to like it.. maybe because I’m a daily drama fan and it has a certain vibe to it that reminds me of them.. I have watched the ML in one of his other dramas where he played twins.. but I find it more interesting than some is the others that are extremely popular.. I’m not really one that follows the normal trends though lol! 

With the makjang daily vibe that this drama has so far, I wonder if it will turn out that CR and EH are actually related.  Do we know CH's background, as in why she was in the orphanage?  It would be so like a daily, if it turned out that EH and CR have the same dad and they are half-siblings or something like that.

18 minutes ago, jechoi1 said:

With the makjang daily vibe that this drama has so far, I wonder if it will turn out that CR and EH are actually related.  Do we know CH's background, as in why she was in the orphanage?  It would be so like a daily, if it turned out that EH and CR have the same dad and they are half-siblings or something like that.

It’s been awhile since any kdrama, daily or weekend has done the sibling scare trope. It’s actually my guilty pleasure haha I miss it so much that I wouldn’t mind if there’s a twist like that. 

It is only halfway through and it looks like SA will return to the family. We might see real rivalry between the very capable executive and the make up woman with great talents obviously through  inherited genes.

This is very like the two characters in the mysterious personal shopper, a capable corporate woman vs. the naturally talented fashion designer. A very boring ridiculous daily but I watched it more or less to find out the ending.

The story is no more convoluted than some non- daily shows. A child from the orphanage gets adopted by chebols is a very common character, kidnapped or lost during shopping  - what a ridiculous theme!! - my husband got family. But it was such an enjoyable show.

I hope Taesan’s father and son get found out soon. The son is funny.

since this is not a daily, I hope the bad people - grandmother, Taesan father and Jo Pill Jo really get the worst.

11 hours ago, thistle said:

Well, I still can't stand any of the characters in this drama.  Don't like anyone.  At all. :wacko: But the story is still interesting and I want to know what happens next so I'm gonna keep watching.

Don’t you find CR pitiful? There were other shows with pitiful orphans who did awful things eg First love again - love that show

Teacher oh soon nam - gaaag

unusual woman - oh so hilarious....

being an orphan adopted into a ‘good’ family to provide continuity but ignored.

2 hours ago, maribella said:

Don’t you find CR pitiful? There were other shows with pitiful orphans who did awful things eg First love again - love that show

Teacher oh soon nam - gaaag

unusual woman - oh so hilarious....

being an orphan adopted into a ‘good’ family to provide continuity but ignored.

No, to tell the truth, I do not find her pitiful; and I don't feel sorry for her. 

If a different actress were playing the role, I might see a different side to the character because each actress carries off a different nuance--the actress who is playing the role seems not to change her facial expression when she should and she seems rather closed; perhaps this is what the director is requiring her to do.  She seems like a good actress but she isn't doing anything that makes me want to cheer for her character.

By the way, when I mentioned bored actors in a previous post, I was not referring to her.  She seems engaged in her role but she isn't reaching me at all except to make me feel annoyed with the character, so I have assumed that this was intentional on the part of the production.

What I see in CR is a character who is harmed by others but who is willing to be scheming herself to get her own way.  Even when she is in a position where she isn't wanted, she is willing to try to force her way in.  This is because she hasn't been shown true love or kindness--she has no positive role models and is behaving in much the same way she has been treated but she is doing so with greater subtlety.  CR is the sort of character who has to be broken before she becomes likeable.  And I am actually hoping that the drama takes the direction of breaking down a number of the characters so that we have the catharsis that drama is supposed to bring about.  Her role has the potential to become something very good and interesting but it's not there yet, and I can't have sympathy for her until she deserves it.

When drama really "works" it makes the viewer feel something.  The fact that I actively dislike all of the characters but still want to watch the show is a clear indication that this drama is working.  

Too often we think that we have to absolutely love something for it to be good when that really isn't the case.  Drama needs to make us think, make us feel, make us react in some ways.  If it fails to bring about a response from us, that is when we know it is bad.  I do not have to love or even like a drama to be able to enjoy it.

This is actually a good drama.  And, yes, I am enjoying it.   I am hoping that it gives us a great ending.

21 hours ago, thistle said:

No, to tell the truth, I do not find her pitiful; and I don't feel sorry for her. 

If a different actress were playing the role, I might see a different side to the character because each actress carries off a different nuance--the actress who is playing the role seems not to change her facial expression when she should and she seems rather closed; perhaps this is what the director is requiring her to do.  She seems like a good actress but she isn't doing anything that makes me want to cheer for her character.

I like the actress, she was great in The promise, I hated it when they got her back together with the guy who was part of the family that did everything unimaginably cruel to her.

You are right about that ‘closed’ streak in the character.But not much. She has no one to confide in. She showed hurt, fear and pain of rejection. Slowly, caring for Cha.

But this is so common in KD. If the character has something to hide or out for revenge or nursing a shattered heart - not just broken :)- the character is almost a zombie at times. If you watched the very popular My daughter Seo Young, they made her cold and unapproachable. I could only watch a few episodes. I need more emotional lead characters. 

I don’t know how KD top management characters can be kicked out with the clothes on their backs. Wouldn’t she be paid a good salary, lovely clothes, maybe a few birkins... ? 

Archived