[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

On 1/24/2019 at 5:18 AM, litopanda said:

Thank you @packmule3
This does help me answer a lot of my question about the glitch/bug and how jinwoo could be a bug. 
On all the theme and symbolism the post mention, i see that too and that is why i do like this drama a lot. 

It still doesn't answer a prime question about how can NPC kills Jinwoo or per say his secretary? 
When new level one players or even hee-ju when she went looking for him and keep logging on and off, i would think thats she got slayed everytime? So why couldn't her or any new tester die.....but professor cha or secretary can...? And why didn't he die the first day he was playing the game, after getting kill so many times by NPC. 

And how the technology works without a platform...? 

lol maybe I should just accept it and see the beauty in it instead of picking through the logic of it lol

:D I answered all your questions here:

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/25/memories-of-the-alhambra-game-logic-again/

Just please read it over there because I've lots of pictures. All I can say is I must be crazy, too, because I understand the logic of the game.

GSkZrrx.png?zoom=1.25&ssl=197D4qHs.png?zoom=1.25&ssl=1

@wenchanteur,

lol. Now I know how you formed your name: "W" + enchanteur.  

I actually like how SSJ paralleled elements in Episode 1 and Episode 2, for example, 

1. The empty church = empty plaza

2. The crucifix = victory column

B8OAUPi.png

3. The thunder and pile of sand = explosion and the rock

4. The dead knight of Aragon = NPC Emma

I find it interesting that SSJ's many parallelisms eluded many critics of her show  The dead knight for instance is a common trope. He's the ghost that warns of death to follow.  "Dead men tell no tales."  His appearance is like music from NPC Emma's guitar music. Her music also warns Jinwoo that an attack is imminent and that death aka NPC Hyunsuk is coming for him. 

I explained them all here, if you're interested.  It has lots of pictures too. 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/24/memories-of-the-alhambra-ep-1-and-16-wrap-up

I'll probably watch W soon. I"m beginning to see how this writer can be easily misunderstood.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

On 1/25/2019 at 6:55 AM, angelangie said:

to be honest i was going to pick this up after it finish it airing.....however reading the ending it had been given im holding on :x

How even the end would disappoint you (and that's not certain), I just have to say a proverb:
It's not the goal that counts, it's the path.
If you take it that way, you'll see that this drama is phenomenal.

It's said in this french song :

Spoiler

Words from the song "The water we drink" by Michel Fugain

Take one step, then another step, there
It's called walking straight ahead.
In the end, all that matters
That's not where you're going.
But how you get there
Take the time, all the time you have, go
Otherwise, you see, it's time that will get you
You'll have to hang out on the way.
Watching the wheat grow
So that You can say afterward
All of this

It's life, it's the water we drink
The flame in us that fires with all its energy
It's life, the beautiful fight
May we gain with every step

Take one step, then another step, there
Leaves the fashions and instructions for use
We take, we give, someone, nobody
And everyone at once
But whoever we are
There are ups, there are ups and downs

But deep down, deep down, what are you looking for?
Love is not so easy
But it resists all that.
Listen deep down inside

Its voice

------------------------------------------------------

"L'eau qu'on boit"

Fais un pas, puis un autre pas, là
On appelle ça marcher droit devant soi
Au bout du compte, tout ce qui compte
C'est pas là où tu vas
Mais comment t'y vas
Prends le temps, tout le temps que t'as, va
Sinon, tu vois, c'est le temps qui t'aura
Tu devras traîner en route
Regarder pousser les blés
Pour pouvoir dire après
Tout ça

C'est de la vie, c'est l'eau qu'on boit
La flamme en nous qui fait feu de tout bois
C'est de la vie, le beau combat
Qu'on gagne à chaque pas

Fais un pas, puis un autre pas, là
Laisse les modes et les modes d'emploi
On prend, on donne, quelqu'un, personne
Et tout l'monde à la fois
Mais qui que l'on soit
Y a des hauts, y a des hauts et des bas

Mais tout au fond, au fond tu cherches quoi ?
L'amour c'est pas si facile
Mais ça résiste à tout ça
Écoute au fond de toi
Sa voix

• Like 6

6 hours ago, packmule3 said:

lol. Now I know how you formed your name: "W" + enchanteur.  

I actually like how SSJ paralleled elements in Episode 1 and Episode 2, for example, 

1. The empty church = empty plaza

2. The crucifix = victory column

3. The thunder and pile of sand = explosion and the rock

4. The dead knight of Aragon = NPC Emma

I find it interesting that SSJ's many parallelisms eluded many critics of her show  The dead knight for instance is a common trope. He's the ghost that warns of death to follow.  "Dead men tell no tales."  His appearance is like music from NPC Emma's guitar music. Her music also warns Jinwoo that an attack is imminent and that death aka NPC Hyunsuk is coming for him. 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/24/memories-of-the-alhambra-ep-1-and-16-wrap-up

I'll probably watch W soon. I"m beginning to see how this writer can be easily misunderstood.

Of course, your site is in my favorites now. I will see the drama again when I have a correct version, once, maybe twice. Then when I feel like I've gone far enough in my understanding, I'll read all of your articles!

Most critics are unable to analyze and understand what SJJ writes. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are ordinary spectators in the way they see a film, but not far away. And they're just bloggers. If we look at the professional critics in history, they have destroyed so many works that have subsequently proved to be major.

As far as MOA is concerned, serious criticism is impossible unless you have seen the drama several times and have analyzed it. The same was true for "W". I've read a lot of terrible things about this drama. I didn't intervene in the comments, I'm not a web twist rectifier, and it would take too long to do for little result. Critics who sometimes did not grasp that this drama has constantly two or three levels of reading, and who had stopped at the first level, not necessarily understanding the logic of the twists and turns. And stopping at a painful "it doesn't make any sense and the scriptwriter lays out twists and turns for no reason!". They even went so far as to get angry that the heroine was taking a taxi without any money on her. If they had watched the beginning of the episode better, they would have seen that at one point she had got her purse back, and guess that she certainly had to take some change with her. AH AH AH!!!!! (um, no, I'm not crazy, well, maybe a little.)

So, you should watch W soon enough... I'm very afraid I spoilt you too! If I had known, I will have closed my mouth. In fact, MOA is so good that you don't want to see much anymore, because that would be disappointing. Might as well hit even harder, even if the effect will increase afterwards! I never recovered from W. This story touched me and reached the point of dreaming about it at night. Perhaps I was particularly sensitive to the themes raised, in relation to my past. And it's also a work that twists the mind as I like them. You have an idea of what I mean by that, since MOA is directly in that line. Fortunately, I had the chance to see other dramas in other styles that allowed me to continue to see dramas. Jang Ok-Jung, for example. But in terms of emotion, it's hard to look at something afterwards. As soon as you see something too strong, the rest always seems disappointing, and it's difficult to find the rare pearls.

Maybe that's not your primary intention, and you just want to explain MOA better, but you're doing a really serious critical work here.
You send second-level spoilers with these parallels, argh!
When I see this quality of writing, with lots of multiple reading elements, and the depth of the scenes, I feel very small. I doubt I can achieve that, how exciting the story I'm writing is, even with situations going further than Season 1 on some aspects (it's a little normal, it's what a Season 2 is supposed to do, I'm not writing a fanfiction to please those who loved the love story of Season 1). Some days I feel like I've been touched by grace, and others, like today, I set foot on the ground again. (It's your fault!)

Fortunately, I also notice that this depth that I fear I will not be able to put enough is sometimes already there. It's unintentional (but it doesn't matter). In the writing process, when the external genius is present (I know it doesn't come from me), subtle and unexpected senses appear. Senses that go beyond my simplistic intentions. I can analyze a scene I wrote in the past and sometimes discover them, fascinated to find a deeper meaning, which corresponds to perfection. When I didn't look for it or want it.

When I think of SJJ's dramas, I always find incredible inspiration. I also make parallels. If a scene is successful, with a double meaning, a deeper meaning, I say to myself "yeah! that could hit as hard as what she does". Then I also thought to myself, "maybe I should rework everything to put it on the same level". But not all scenes need this either. Sometimes I have a scene that solves itself before, and I put a flashback afterwards. Without forcing me, it comes on its own. Right away, it takes a hell of a mouth, it slams, like one of her own scenes. Of course, I'll never have fun doing what she does in MOA. Too complicated to succeed, and too difficult to read on paper.

After seeing MOA, the flashforward scene at the end of episode 2 inspired me a lot. It was really extreme as narrative effect! I had an episode (by chance too short, which annoyed me) at the end of which a character was talking about something worrying that was going to take place in the future. The scene was poor in the sense that nothing illustrated it. I racked my brains to find out what I could put on without too much spoiling either. No, actually, I did not rack my brain, it just came on my own in an idea flash, after seeing MOA. And I also put a flashforward. I'm always afraid that the scene says too much, but in terms of impact, it's amazing! The episode ends on this (an episode already very nerve-wracking), and the viewer will unhook the jaw.

I'm about to write an episode that will probably be the most charged in flashback. But not flashbacks of scenes already written, it's new scenes. Rather a narration in the form of flashback. There is a sense to that. The characters are in a situation of absolute urgency. So the episode must start by showing the characters in action, to give the idea that they did not lose a single second before intervening. And then, as what they do is a little strange, I flashback everything they have planned before. This episode will take a lot of time, it will not be easy to organize. I would never have had such an idea without seeing MOA. And my story would never have had an interesting narration if I had not seen W. I know it because I wrote other stories in the past. And they seem so bad today. Maybe there were good ideas, but so badly exploited. Writing a scenario script changes everything as well. It's so much more percussive than a novel full of description and in parts from the narrator.

EDIT: OMG I can't help but read this article.
http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/24/memories-of-the-alhambra-ep-1-and-16-wrap-up/
He's hanging too tight!!!!!
Damn-it, I don't want to! Not now!
Well, too bad.... I continue to read.... You're killing my next viewing of the drama!

Note: Regarding dust piles, there is also a famous phrase in the Bible that says "you come from dust, and will return to dust". Especially suitable for this scene in this church. A "dead" bug could have been presented differently. It surprised me when I saw the scene, without identifying why. It also looks like a classic artifact that can be found in a game, something to pick up.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I really love your blog expecially the ones about MOTA because you are one of the people who don't question the logic of the game because i really get how the game works. i dont understand how Jinwoo is a bug but you have already kindly explain it in your blog, and i find it plausible. the only incosistency i get is when Sec Seo is getting murdered, Jinwoo is still on the train that takes him away from Granada, he got a message that he's away from the game server (which is in Granada), also the message thar Prof Cha gets when he ran away from Seoul after being Jinwoo's ally, he's away from the game server in Seoul. No NPC can get to them if they are out of the town. But JW also said that he still can see Cha Junior even in the US. from the story line, i didnt think US has been included in the game server, because the game is developed only for Granada and Seoul. So why can JW still see junior Cha? maybe the server region only works for the game NPC (meaning the soldiers and the terrorists)? That i think, is one inconsistency that i still hasnt get, maybe you have an explanation for that? sorry if you have written this somewhere in your blog, i might miss it. :D

BTW W is so good, except for the ending. hahaha atleast in my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

wow, after a week (and an outbreak of diff reactions for the finale) glad that we are still here, I do not mind back reading as it gives me other insights or ideas of things that I might have missed.

Im still having my withdrawal thats why I refrain on browsing here, or any other k-ent news for that matter. 

@angelangie you may start the drama just temporarily put all online fback on the cupboard somewhere or if there's any indon dungeon available. :sweatingbullets:

Ps. So tomorrow i can get my prev avi back right, @Kasmic?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

8 minutes ago, yuhotarubi said:

My friend reached episode 6 and she already has so many questions she said the rules of this game and are so bizzare.

I am wondering if u give her the "i told you so" look when she asked those questions :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

24 minutes ago, yuhotarubi said:

My friend reached episode 6 and she already has so many questions she said the rules of this game and are so bizzare.

Make her think you have the answers but don't say anything to avoid spoiling her.
And when your friend has finished the drama, and still have questions, you will admit with a laugh that you have no answer, and you can go out for a drink and get completely drunk together. :w00t:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

43 minutes ago, ned_lee said:

I am wondering if u give her the "i told you so" look when she asked those questions :lol:

I' trying not to influence her, I want her to form her own theories and see 

29 minutes ago, wenchanteur said:

Make her think you have the answers but don't say anything to avoid spoiling her.
And when your friend has finished the drama, and still have questions, you will admit with a laugh that you have no answer, and you can go out for a drink and get completely drunk together. :w00t:

Looool that's what I'm doing, whenever she asks I'm like keep watching and you'll know.

Ahh this is the first week without MoA :(( I really feeling  withdrawals,not a surprise cause I did love the drama a lot. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

annyeong!

@Kasmic the artworks & albums were very nice :thumbsup: I want those posters!

where are our recappers @Kasmic @katakwasabi @ktcjdrama , the show's latest episode started already :tounge_xd: 

Let's relieve the Epic Memories in Granada credit to SaRang's awesome vid below :wub::wub:

You left me alone

How heartless you are

I should be holding you 

Cause I'm still missing you

Can't see you anymore

It's such a tragedy

You and I believed

We never be apart

Bring back memories

The time we fall in love

• Like 6

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

very insightful thank you @packmule3 gonna try to read it all even if I don't know if my brain has the capability to understand but while trying to do my fmv project to have my kind romance alternate of this pair (yes yes I love their story so much, even I would definitely say that love story is a side kick of this drama) I realized the parralelisms and feels there just something about it that maybe lead to my misunderstanding about how the writer leads the story. Came here to find a light and thankful I catched your post:w00t:

@wenchanteur really???!! A special ep?? *.*

• Confused 1
  • LOL 4

here's something to lighten up your mood :joy: idol wannabe Minjoo & a displeased Jinwoo. 

JW: The owner of the hostel must be your mom

MJ: She's obviously my sister

JW: I see. Don't tell her, ok? :lol::lol::lol:

cr: kdramadharma

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, stevii said:

I really love your blog expecially the ones about MOTA because you are one of the people who don't question the logic of the game because i really get how the game works. i dont understand how Jinwoo is a bug but you have already kindly explain it in your blog, and i find it plausible. the only incosistency i get is when Sec Seo is getting murdered, Jinwoo is still on the train that takes him away from Granada, he got a message that he's away from the game server (which is in Granada), also the message thar Prof Cha gets when he ran away from Seoul after being Jinwoo's ally, he's away from the game server in Seoul. No NPC can get to them if they are out of the town. But JW also said that he still can see Cha Junior even in the US. from the story line, i didnt think US has been included in the game server, because the game is developed only for Granada and Seoul. So why can JW still see junior Cha? maybe the server region only works for the game NPC (meaning the soldiers and the terrorists)? That i think, is one inconsistency that i still hasnt get, maybe you have an explanation for that? sorry if you have written this somewhere in your blog, i might miss it. :D

BTW W is so good, except for the ending. hahaha atleast in my opinion. 

Yes, I already explained that, too, but I guess I wasn’t explicit enough.:lol:

JW is a BUG. The moment he killed HyunSuk, he created an ERROR in the software and his user Zinu became a BUG. Think of Zinu as a virus, infecting/corrupting his allies with the same virus.   

And yes, NPC HyunSuk haunted Jinwoo daily but the show didn’t show viewers NPC HS’s daily appearance because that would be tedious. More tiresome than the flashbacks. Ha!   

Jinwoo said it himself in Episode 7 at 42:15. I’d take a screenshot of it if I had time. You remembered that scene well.

He was talking to Park who lecturing him about the way he drank and popped pills. JW answered, “I’m trying hard to restore balance to my life. Imagine being in a battlefield every day. I see blood, get stabbed, kill others, and worry about dying.  Try doing that for 365 days. You’d be popping pills, too.” Park protested, “You said the vision had stopped.” And he replied, “No I still see him every day. I couldn’t tell Professor Cha that I see his son covered in blood every day.”

Every single day. Everywhere he goes.  :crazy::ph34r:

Again, the director didn’t show us their meetings because it was a given that JW shot NPC HS every single day, too. What's the fun of showing us THAT? The director only reminded us once in a while, for instance in Episode 12, when NPC HS showed up in HeeJoo’s workshop. JW shot him, of course.

Now, JW wanted Prof Cha as far away from Seoul as possible because he (Jinwoo) was staying in Seoul to fight the NPCs. Mind you, he wanted the distance NOT FOR HIMSELF but for Prof Cha’s sake.

There were two reasons.

One, when Prof Cha was in the Seoul, he was within the range of the servers and the NPCs would attack HIM. Jinwoo obviously couldn’t protect Prof Cha and level up at the same time. 

Look: That’s why Sec Seo got killed in Granada when he was ambushed by a swarm of NPCs. Jinwoo went “out of bounds” so his terrorist NPCs disappeared. But Sec Seo remained in Granada so of course, the game didn’t end for him. Sec Seo couldn’t log out even when he wanted to log out nor could he quit the game by removing his AR lenses because there was no stopping the onslaught of NPCs unless the servers were turned off.

JW learned this valuable lesson from Sec Seo’s death. Hence, he ordered Prof Cha to get out of Seoul and out of range of the servers so the NPCs wouldn’t attack him. 

Two, whenever Prof Cha was with him, Prof Cha would be in danger from NPC Hyunsuk, too.

NPC Hyunsuk was different from all the other NPCs. For one, the servers didn’t matter with him. Whether they’re on or off, he still existed. For another (and people MUST understand this by now), NPC Hyunsuk was only AFTER Jinwoo. He showed up for Jinwoo, not for anybody else. He was Jinwoo’s albatross. His ball and chain. His shadow. His soul, if you want. And he appeared daily to Jinwoo. 

NPC Hyunsuk wasn't really going after Sec Seo or for Prof Cha. He didn't haunt them. If you noticed at the train stations in Barcelona and Granada, NPC Hyunsuk surfaced where Jinwoo was located, not at Sec Seo’s side.

Jinwoo was NPC Hyunsuk's primary target, but if he had allies with him, NPC  Hyunsuk will go after them as well. 

To sum it up then: Jinwoo wanted Prof Cha out of Seoul to put distance between them. He couldn’t predict when NPC HyunSuk would show up at his side. While turning off the servers could stop most NPCs, the servers could NOT stop NPC HyunSuk from reappearing. If Prof Cha was with Jinwoo, he was a sitting duck.  

So there you go. Again, I don't see any inconsistencies in the game.  :)

But as I said in one of the comments on my blog, do not be stuck with these small details. Go for the BIG PICTURE that the writer and director want us to see. There’s a postscript shown in the final credits. “Trust is the magic that changes the world, not the technology.” When you focus too much on the “technology” or the MECHANICS of the show and the logic of the GAME, you lose the real meaning of the kdrama. Go beyond this. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

I have an embarrassing remark to make about a scene near the beginning of the drama.
There is a weapons store and a shooting gallery in an antique store.
What an absurd idea for the game designer to have put this here.
The poor merchant will be robbed several times a night all year round?!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4