[Drama 2018] Familiar Wife, 아는 와이프

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think tonight we should capture glimpse of the pathway to angry ajumma in flashback.  

Regarding Hye Won, i felt its Joo Hyuk neglects giving her constant attention that cause her to sway, since someone mentioned she loves the attention.  Although not joo hyuk fault cos he has no memory of her except in university.  But still, the woman is lonely.

8 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I agree with you; however, I am going to play the devil advocate here (just a little).  I understand that he should help out at home and I wholeheartedly agree; however, she has some culpability here.  Before, it ever got to this point, WJ should have had a honest, calm, sensible talk with JH. When the first baby was born, things changed...she should have said, I know that I used to be able to take care of your clothes, and cook for you.  Now that we have this beautiful baby that we've created together, I need your help.  We need to take turns getting up at night, cooking dinner and I need help with the housework. If we work together, we will both have time for hobbies and recreation.   The ground rules would have been set and in place before she had the second child.   It would not be any need for violent outbursts, screaming and throwing things.  The environment she created was not good for her, JH or their children; toxic for all.

One of the marks of a successful marriage is open communication.  Just because you are married, you don't develop telepathy. Because you love a person, you don't automatically know what they are thinking and what they want, those things must be communicated.  Yes, yes, yes, he should help out; however, the way WJ went about expressing her displeasure was incorrect.  When he came in, after being in a car accident, she never let him explain what happened.  Had she let him explain and she took a few minutes to listen ; although she was upset, I am sure some of her anger would have dissipated.  Perhaps both of them should find a few minutes for themselves each day when they find out about the other's day and reconnect.  A wife should not be afraid of her husband, mentally or physically nor should a husband have to walk around on egg shells because of his wife. As you can see, love does not conquer all.

My mom and dad, amidst the chaotic mornings of 2 school going children, always had their personal talk time during their coffee in the morning. My sister and I used be running around, getting ready and they would be totally oblivious. We used to tease them about it but now as a married woman, I understand how essential that routine was for them. This drama makes me look into my marriage and appreciate it more.  

We can see how joo hyuk's heart fluttered for the first time for woo jin:wub: and it is happening all over again whether he likes it or not. It's ironic that in the old timeline, joo hyuk is the one mentioning about divorce through his friends but now, hye won is the one whose very vocal on divorcing him if he will get mad again lol. Very bluntly, he can't get mad at her again or else, she will divorce him. That only shows how shallow hye won's love to joo hyuk is. She always has their wealth and status as shield. I will get what i want and if you can't keep with that, let's divorce lol.

I loved Ji Sung in Kill Me Heal Me. I loved all of his personalities! I think that must've been one of the most difficult roles. I don't think mental illness is funny. So I'm asking, how will he do in this drama? Any room for me in here??? :D 

Edit: I have just started this, so I won't be looking at any spoilers!! :) 

Both hye won and joo hyuk are threading the same waters. While it is not intentional for joo hyuk to be with woo jin since they are working together in the bank and some circumstances led them to be together at times(police station), it was not deliberate and i am sure woo jin even if she is drawn to joo hyuk will put a wall between them. He is clearly married and off the market. He lied at times since he knew hye won might misunderstood it. Different case with hye won and the college student. College student has been pursuing her since he knew of her wealth and being the only daughter of a conglomerate. He has seen something in her that makes him pursue her. Hye won is needing a lot of attention. If joo hyuk will not give it to her, there's no wonder she might have an affair with the college student oh oh:(

Joohyuk seems to focus more on his work than his wife. He doesn't give both Woo Jin and Hyewon the attention they needed; listen to Woo Jin's concern and problem & be around and lovey-dovey with Hyewon. That's why Woojin blows up and Hyewon is falling for the college boy. It's not that Joohyuk is 100% at fault in this marriage-goes-wrong. To fix this, both wives should understand his work environment and he should give his wife attention. To really blame on this is Korea's working environment; too many overtime.... and call out even after work hour...  

This drama makes me realize how important one-on-one talk in marriage.

Has anyone mentioned how he lied to his wife about why Woo Jin was in the car? He disnt just 'happen to give her a ride' he was *following her home*. That was wrong and his lie of omission nor so difrent from his wife hiding her phone at dinner

People are mad at JH for still being interested in his old wife while his new wife looks to be having a affair, so you want him to give attention to the wife who does not really care for JH at all? That seems weird to me.

1 hour ago, stuartjmz said:

Only halfway through the episode but I gotta say "Hey, JH, in this timeline you're married to someone else, stalking WJ on her way home from work is actually being emotionally unfaithful. Your wife may be a cow, but she's got cause to complain about this" 

His wife is more then a cow.

Yep, that whole scene was troubling for me. THIS for example

VERY unsafe - especially since cars in K Dramas NEVER have airbags (seriously, a pet peeve of mine - it's 2018 and still no airbags?) , but also because even as she jokingly referred to, it's inappropriate for him to be doing this. His "should I just go" before this showed that he KNOWS it's wrong, but he does any way. Hye Won is starting an affair, it seems, but realistically, it's clear that  he WANTS TO.  The JH in the original timeline neglected his wife and focused on what he wanted - a playstation. The JH in this timeline is neglecting his wife and focusing on what he wants -  his "other" wife.  I hope the Drama addresses this properly. 

How is buying a playstation you saved over years neglect, i bet if she asked for something he would have gave it to her in a heartbeat. 

JH is not neglecting his new wife shes neglecting him as well? Hello she wants to have a affair?

19 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

I thought that last week we saw at least a hint of growth from JH, but in episode five it was all backwards. Some might say his focus on WJ is sweet, but SHE'S NOT HIS WIFE HERE. He wanted to change his life, and did, he should man up and live with the consequencves of that action. Instead, he really wants to have his cake (rich wife, cushy life)  AND get the love of his life back too.  All the  OTP bonding and affection in this episode should have come after HW has conclusively broken the marriage. As it is, he is as culpable as she is, because he';s not invested in the marriage, only in trying to get back what he chose to throw away. 

He does not remember anything from his new marriage so him being connected to WJ makes way more sense then staying with the new wife who is about to cheat anyways? 

6 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

The new marriage was his choice and his doing - he made it happen because it was what he wanted. And the fact that his wife is also about to cheat does not make his actions right:  There is a saying in English "two wrongs do not make a right" Also, in this case, he doesn't know his wife is already emotionally unfaithful to the marriage. We know that, he doesn't. He and his wife are behaving equally badly toward their marriage. 

n THIS timeline, he is married to Hye Won, he should remain faithful to her until she breaks that bond.  He is being emotionally unfaithful, and he knows it, which is why he lied about how  the badger ended up in the car. 

Actually she DID  ask him for things, and he didn't give them to her. She asked him for TIME, to talk about her Mum, she asked him to give up his gaming fixation.. He denied both requests

Its not like he was asked oh do you want a new life without your kids or current wife or a new wife where your wife is a cow and looks to be having a affair..

People said he had a choice and was his doing i disagree and exactly they are both equally bad yet you want JH to still be faithful? 

Who cares if hes being emotionally unfaithful this new timeline is meant for him to figure out his love for his first wife or did you miss the point of the drama? At least he wont have a affair like the new wife. 

What episode did she ask him to give up his gaming fixation and playing a little when you come in is not a fixation its called taking a break and relaxing. When did she ask for time or want to talk about her mum i must have clearly missed that. 

8 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I loved Ji Sung in Kill Me Heal Me. I loved all of his personalities! I think that must've been one of the most difficult roles. I don't think mental illness is funny. So I'm asking, how will he do in this drama? Any room for me in here??? :D 

Edit: I have just started this, so I won't be looking at any spoilers!! :) 

((Wave)) You should watch this drama! 

3 hours ago, stuartjmz said:

I started this Drama mostly for Ji Seong, but right now, I'm loving the way the Drama is really giving HJM a chance to shine. So many different facets to her WR and so much easier to like than JH. 

3 hours ago, midjohn33 said:

Yep, I'm another one who's here for Ji Min, not Ji Sung. Hopefully she'll get offered and accept a pure light romcom next

I am really glad people can get to see what ji min can do as an actress. She was really bashed in her last drama so it was nice that it is really a good drama that she has picked this time. Drama or comedy she can do well. In her 3 years absence from dramaland, i feel like she evolved a lot. She is giving life to woo jin:wub:

Looking forward to episode 6 tonight:)

Bwahahahaha there is an article where joo hyuk will gate crash the night hiking date of woo jin and jong hoo. This will be fun lol

2 hours ago, stuartjmz said:

Yes, you did - there was flashback scene in episode 5 that showed it. 

As someone who's been married for more than 25 years, I care. Emotional infidelity is dangerous and should never be excused or condoned. Emotional infidelity is the precursor to an affair. It would be much better if we saw JH in this timeline tried his best to be loyal and ended up single after HW's betrayal. Then he would be free to pursue a romantic relationship without any hint of unfaithfulness himself

Of course it was his choice - he went looking for the Phantom Tollbooth, desperate to go back and change time, and his SOLE objective was to make sure he didn't miss his date with Hye Won. No one made him do any of that, it was all his own choice 

I mean if your wife is cheating and your just speaking to other women that marriage is done to begin with.. 

Your saying that hes the cause of the affair i call massive BS on that, i think you missed the damn point of this drama if he remained loyal to his second wife then what is the point of the drama its called familiar wife because hes going to realize he loved his first wife alot more and the show is about them re finding them self's etc.. 

If he remained loyal how would the show even have a plot.. its about him falling for his first wife again so you expecting him to remain loyal is beyond silly.

He went looking but did he really know that he would be forced into this new life , maybe he wanted to know what would have happened if he had the other life but he did not really have a choice between the two. 

How has JH not remained loyal in this timeline until recently? 

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like another episode I'll be FFing a lot. I'm sad the Drama is excusing his behaviour. As awful as his wife is, she IS his wife, for now, and even he knows what he's doing in stalking WJ is wrong, but he keeps doing it. His wife really is vain and shallow, but he is also treating her very badly.

There's nothing cute or romantic about a married man crushing on someone other than his wife. I want to see him doing the right thing, and growing as a result. If the Drama continues with the "Hye Won's a cheating cow, so it's OK if he cheats (mentally) too" I will probably have to drop the Drama. 

Can i ask why you are watching this show because you dont seem to get the plot.. its about him falling for his first wife again hello???????????

Drop the drama then because you dont get the plot at all and shes crushing on someone else as well the second marriage is richard simmons done. 

1 hour ago, tok-soompi said:

In Ep05: When original wife is still sweet maybe a year and a half ago... she wanted to talk but husband just too busy to pay too much attention and just brush her off.

Hide contents

Credit to author

I get hes to blame and this is obviously bad but she could have kept bringing it up.

29 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

I won't, because I agree. Although by punishment, I would settle for him realising that he is actually cheating on Hye Won. I know how my wife would react if I spent as much time following another woman, eating with her alone, walking and laughing in the rain with her alone. I really want him to address the issues that cause the problems in the first timeline, not simply sweep them aside and act  as if nostalgia for the "good old days" excuses conduct that we've already seen he knows inside himself is wrong. 

He does not care for Hye Won and why would he? he was with his first wife for way longer and has way more memories.

46 minutes ago, tok-soompi said:

I am hoping he can get punished.  :P  dont throw things at me.

I'm in the very minority opinion of liking Joo Hyuk - don't throw things at me - and I agree. I'm sure there are very different opinions of what kind of punishment he deserves, but I think he's heading toward his downfall with both women in the current timeline.  

2 minutes ago, qynn said:

I'm in the very minority opinion of liking Joo Hyuk - don't throw things at me - and I agree. I'm sure there are very different opinions of what kind of punishment he deserves, but I think he's heading toward his downfall with both women in the current timeline.  

Im with you i agree with you as well i like Joo Hyuk hes just very complicated and prioritizes work to much. 

I think Joo Hyuk just got too much beef from some viewers. However, I like flawed characters. In the real world, there are many gray areas not just black or white. That makes it more interesting, and our characters more human. Through the drama, I see that JH saw glimpse of his failing marriage and his own doings. We should watch and support their own learning and discover to be better. 

I can't wait to watch ep 6 in sub. Woohoo!! I enjoy reading everyone's discussion too. Keep it up!!

Archived