[Drama 2018] Familiar Wife, 아는 와이프

Go Seung Ji

@Sunset90 @richelleI agree with you both.  I understand JH's actions.  He made an impulsive decision that seemed great at first but is complicated by the fact that he has 12 years of memories with Woo Jin and this Woo Jin is reminding him of the good memories he had forgotten, and Hye Won was a "what if" fantasy but in reality there is no real connection there. JH should totally end things with Hye won and sort things out. My prediction is that JH will decide to let WJ go and commit to HW, however, and then WJ's memories come into play dun dun dun. 

Glad the ratings continue to rise. 

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Knowing Wife] Ep 6 Ji Sung gets jealous of Jang Seung Jo's budding relationship with Han Ji Min

know.png

Article: Naver 'Knowing Wife' Ji Sung opposes to Jang Seung Jo dating Han Ji Min

• Seo Woo Jin (Han Ji Min) did not outright reject Yoon Jong Hoo (Jang Seung Jo) but did not accept him either. 
  • Jung Hyun Soo (Lee You Jin) confesses to Lee Hye Won (Kang Han Na). 
  • Cha Joo Hyuk (Ji Sung) sees the mysterious old man who gave him the 500 won coins walking pass but couldn't get to him. 
  • Woo Jin took Joo Hyuk's hand and put it over her head. Hye Won witnesses this scene. 

1. [+1001,-17]
And he gets to enjoy everything.

2. [+721,-10]
I really don't like Cha Joo Hyuk.. He changed his fate and got to live with a pretty girl. But why does he have to interfere with Woo Jin's love life too? Jang Seung Jo seems like a good person.

3. [+592,-13]
My heart doesn't flutter at all with that younger boy.... He's just an immature kid. Not sure where the heart flutters come from exactly....

4. [+245,-44]
I'm seriously disgusted at Ji Sung. He wanted divorce and all, but now...

5. [+91,-4]
Jang Seung Jo is so charming... Why is he so handsome?

6. [+68,-0]
Cha Joo Hyuk was unsatisfied with his wife in the past, but he doesn't even look at his current wife now. He's a jerk in reality.

Spoiler

wifee.png

1. [+278,-6]
So Joo Hyuk has already reflected and regretted, he realizes that he was the one who made her a monster.. It's good that the development is fast.

2. [+263,-43] 
I hope they won't make it a typical ending. And will all live their own life individually.

3. [+166,-9]
Jong Hoo is cute. Please just be together with Woo Jin...

4. [+144,-4]
No, but is Han Ji Min's beauty real life?

5. [+100,-4]
Why even go after her all the way at the training center? Cha Joo Hyuk is a character with no charm at all... Not sure why did Seo Woo Jin get attracted to him. Joo Hyuk-ah, please let go of Woo Jin. Woo Jin is happy without you, please.. Seriously, even cursing at him is a waste.. Please let her go;

6. [+63,-3]
I'm a little annoyed. He changed his wife and lived but seriously.. He's not even guilty that he kissed and slept with Kang Han Na. Then he wants to go back to reality and have his original life back with Han Ji Min. Anyway, it's the same as having an affair. It's dirty. Really.

7. [+42,-1]
I really dislike the character Cha Joo Hyuk... He doesn't even care about his current wife?

cr

@qynn, I think WJ would give up first. My guess is WJ realizes that she likes JH after the head pat, but will give Jong Hoo a chance since JH is a married man.  I am not sure where the writer will take us since we are not even half way done. Too soon to time travel again right?

I am happy that I asked for JH's jealousy and pettiness over his wife, and we've seen plenty of that during ep. 6.  It was funny and sad as the same time. JH obviously isn't over his wife yet, but he didn't realize that he was jealous until his friend pointed out. He have some wild imagination.:wub: 

I am glad he realized he was the one to turn her into a monster. However, I think WJ should have be more honest and communicate more with her husband about her feelings like her teen self. Maybe years of trying and failing,  she gave up. Maybe they both take each other's understanding for granted. 

Jong Hoo is adorable and puppylike when he is with WJ. How can he be a player? Hopefully there is another alternative universe where another version of Jong Hoo and Woo Jin can be together. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lee Bo Yong cameo as Jong Hoo's wife (mother of the twins):lol:

Can't wait for the next episode, so many things  I want to know. Hopefully the writer will adress them all. Great actings on all our cast especially our 3 main leads. I am not really feeling Hye Won's pursuiter acting though.

I believed the show did address original wife flaw very well... just that we are engrossed with Joo Hyuk and his impulse decision to choose the what if and his punishment and mainly his point of view.

The mum ask original wife to stop always angry and keep her son in laws away from visiting her.

Wife said she has short fuse.

Informing us she has too much pride in her to let anyone see her cry.

Unable to understand her husband does work really hard (as some said workaholic) for the family.

I love that it is really about communication that the show wants to show us.

Many may already know... Man generally are less sensitive and really cannot understand woman thoughts if they are not frank.  So show inform us why the joo hyuk sister and her husband relationship works well because of her frank character even after marriage.

Matter of fact i think the first time the show shows us that they did "talk" is during the fallout of their huge commotion after wife drown the console.  Each said their piece.  I think it shatters wife alots in realising husband thoughts but husband at that moment again did not give in any more thoughts to wife complains.... make the impulsive move.

So... while husband made impulsive move and get the chance to see what life is in what if, the wife get a chance to work in the bank to understand husband hard work environment. :)

29 minutes ago, Kooslee said:

9 minutes ago, Kooslee said:

Hopefully there is another alternative universe where another version of Jong Hoo and Woo Jin can be together. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lee Bo Yong cameo as Jong Hoo's wife (mother of the twins):lol:

Omg if this happens it will be daebak!

He is basically a good man but with a weak personality. Most prolly he ended up with his wife coz he thought he couldn't get HyeWon.   

After 5 years of marriage the wife obviously has lost all respect for him even tho she was the one who pursued him.  I guess after he helped her with that pervert she saw him as a her knight. But now he is just a bumbling fool who kept messing up.

I wonder if the writer is giving JH an opening to opt out from the second marriage without any guilt by her affair. 

Agreed that Joo Hyuk should let go of Woo Jin. Since he have choose to let go. Why should he hang on to her. He don't deserve her.

I hope Jong Hoo and Woo Ji together. 

Although, Joo Hyuk is a good. But he weak... 

Unlike 'Go back couple',  both husband & wife choose to go back to past together. And they realise they still love each other. 

But Joo Hyuk just too selfish. 

Anyway,  above is my 2cents opinion. 

Don't get angry with me... Hahaha!! !

12 hours ago, Sunset90 said:

I've liked Ji Sung's acting ever since Protect the Boss. I think he is an experienced actor who breathes life into the role written for him. 

So you've liked his acting since Protect the Boss. I can understand. I like what you said. And I agree. Can I add something. I also think he makes you feel his emotions. When he cries, you cry. I think that's how I feel. I think you can feel the pain he's feeling. So excited! Can't wait to be with all of you. Can't wait to discuss this! :)

12 hours ago, Sunset90 said:

Welcome!

Thank you! I think you're so kind :)

Edit:

Jillia is here?!

@Jillia Hiiiiiiii!

Hye-Won as Joo-Hyuk's wife: the bottom line is that he actually doesn't know her that well. They had the first date, they kissed, and the next thing he knows, he's already been married to her for a few years. They don't have any history. There is no courtship period, no honeymoon period, no fights and makeups (except that one we saw). In reality, he's only known her for a few days. Were they ever in love with each other during the years of their relationship that we never saw? We don't know.

But based on what we do know about Hye-Won: she's a selfish person. She does exactly what she wants, and won't do anything she doesn't want to. This doesn't make her an evil person or anything. She is simply a product of her environment. She was born into privilege, she is pretty, so she's used to getting her way. Even if she has an affair and Joo-Hyeok divorces her, so what? The social and material consequences to her life will be minimal. She will move on without too much trouble.

With Woo-Jin, they have a shared history, although he's the only one who knows about it in this timeline. They definitely were in love, and were really close at some point. The first episodes made it seem like she just had a crush and he stuck around because he felt sorry for her when her father suddenly died. But the more flashbacks we see, the more we see that at some point, he really adored her and they seemed very in love.

Ji Sung is doing his usual amazing job in this role, but Han Ji-Min really shines. She is so cool and sassy as Woo-Jin V.2 and also does a great job showing Woo-Jin V.1 as a broken woman.

I know communication is key in every healthy relationship - says Oprah and every advice column in existence. But what do you do when your partner doesn't hear you? She was crying out for help, but he didn't hear her. I'm glad Joo-Hyuk is taking responsibility for his role in the deterioration of their marriage. She may have made some mistakes, but I think on balance, his mistakes are bigger.

I do want to make clear that I don't think anyone is a monster in this show. Even Hye-Won isn't a monster, just a bit spoiled. Not the right wife for Joo-Hyuk, but surely the right wife for some other guy.

Based on the teaser, woo jin will give jong hoo a chance. I think seeing joo hyuk with his wife hye won will wake woo jin up that he is already married and they can't be together. She was even called as sister in law by sang shik lol. Woo jin has feelings for joo hyuk but it is much of a torture for him. Seeing his wife who he let go and he is still inlove with and being with another man. So much hard to bear for him so he would want to go back. The thing is it will not be easy to go back. It is too late for his regret.

19 hours ago, dramaninja said:

I am confused by some of these posts here, he does not know his new wife at all he was just drop into that life of course he not going to be comfortable  or consider he barely knows her.

This is going down the same path as the Go Back Couple people attaching the male lead without seeing his side.

So if he is a jerk what does that make the other characters then? I mean we cant ignore others actions and behaviors right?

Wishing for something and getting that wish or living it are 2 different things. He remember his entire past his wife is still fresh on his mine,all of this makes sense.

Exactly why would he be faithful to someone he barely knows it makes no sense? If hes faithful to her then he wont ever go back to wife number 1.

15 hours ago, stuartjmz said:

Yes, I am going to drop it, but not because I don't get the plot. I did know before I started it that he was going to fall for his first wife again, but there was no reason that had to happen while he was still married.   Just as we only saw  two episodes in the old timeline before he went back and changed it, so we COULD have seen two episode with him in a marriage that ended BEFORE he started actively chasing another woman.  A simple matter of timing. Everything else could have stayed the same, but he would not have been guilty of betraying his marriage. 

So you think he should divorce his wife number 2 so he can get with wife number 1 and then he returns to his normal timeline?

I dunno feels a bit weird to do that. 

14 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Glad someone else agree's with my view people so negative towards him but not towards other's. 

14 hours ago, Blue Sky said:

Woah woah..... Joo Hyuk is unbelievable! He hated Woo-Jin so much when she first started the job even try to get her to transfer to a new branch and now he is all over sensitive to her. Let Woo-Jin lives her life. I know that they are ex but this is so wrong. This is a new life for both but he can’t seems to take that in. He made a change to their life because he doesn’t want to be in her life anymore. 

Furthermore, Joo-Hyuk seems to forgot about Hyewon who he was so desperated to marry. I feel bad for Hyewon. Her husband forgets her and a college student trying to scam her for wealth. 

At first, I pitied Joo-Hyuk and understood his choice to change his life but now he is just an inconsiderate, thoughtless and “toxic” man. 

Edit: THANK GOODNESS! Joo-Hyuk realizes what he was doing the whole time at the end of ep 6. 

Which he clearly regrets and which is the whole point of the drama FAMILIAR WIFE.

@Blue Skyit's roma emo since she is the aunt of roma and also roha, her 2 nephews:wub:

I am sure hye won will compete with woo jin. Ofcourse seeing her husband and woo jin, and remembering the pin woo jin left in the car, im sure she will piece the puzzle together. That will be one reason why woo jin will give jong hoo a chance. Poor joo hyuk:D

I also want to hear the whole ost part 3 by roy kim, no longer mine. Very fitting to joo hyuk's feelings to woo jin:wub:

13 hours ago, Sunset90 said:

Agree with all of this you have a very fair view and said it well.

12 hours ago, Blue Sky said:

I agree. Joo-Hyuk doesn’t remember Hye-Won is his wife. To me, Joo-Hyuk is someone who doesn’t think before making decision or the consequence of his action. If Joo-Hyuk wants to make it right, like you said divorce Hyewon and tries to pursue Woo-Jin if he really does have feeling for her again. Basically, Joo-Hyuk is making Woo-Jin falls for a married man and he is falling for her. This is very wrong. It’s doesnt matter if they are married in the original timeline. 

You act like divorcing takes a day to do but i suppose if he thinks he can never return to other timeline he should do that.

12 hours ago, richelle said:

That ratings, keep beating it's old record. Casts is really doing a great job. I like the new ost's too, roy kim's part 3 ost is nice. Can't complain except for the waiting part lol. This drama is just so so good to watch:wub:

I don't know but for me, i can definitely understand joo hyuk. His memories with woo jin is slowly coming back and based on his perspective we can see why he loved her in the first place. Who will not love woo jin? As we can see joo hyuk is always first to her even to herself. When she brings the umbrella, all she thinks is its raining and joo hyuk has no umbrella, no wonder his heart fluttered for her the 1st time. He is starting to realize what kind of woman he has lost. They have a long long history together. And she has memories of woo jin and not hye won. While he may be married, all that he has is his time with woo jin. He slowly realizes what are the things he have missed while they are still together. He is jealous because he very much still loved his wife. His actions are understandable. But it is also part of his punishment. I bet the man in the subway has the same fate of that what if's. That is why he said just wish her happiness since he might have suffered the same. On what he should do to change that what if is all depends on him. But i am loving each character, i trust this writer so much:wub:

I agree with it all as well people need to understand JH more.

6 hours ago, hui_02 said:

Agreed that Joo Hyuk should let go of Woo Jin. Since he have choose to let go. Why should he hang on to her. He don't deserve her.

I hope Jong Hoo and Woo Ji together. 

Although, Joo Hyuk is a good. But he weak... 

Unlike 'Go back couple',  both husband & wife choose to go back to past together. And they realise they still love each other. 

But Joo Hyuk just too selfish. 

Anyway,  above is my 2cents opinion. 

Don't get angry with me... Hahaha!! !

Its called familiar wife how can he let go when the point is pretty much for them to find each other again?

17 hours ago, Sunset90 said:

see a lot of difference of opinion on JH's feelings. 

Here is my take on it. 

I feel that there are some inconsistencies in the whole original marriage that we don't know about. 

1. JH seems to be a kind loving man when they were dating. He tutored her and her mom-in-law clearly loves him. She definitely had an extra dependency on him especially emotional and showered a lot of love on him. After marriage, she might have had some fairy tale expectations which may not have been met by him. We still don't know.  In the little clip where he spent time with his kids, it sure looked like he was basking in happiness around his babies. It's not like he neglected them. 

2. More than neglecting, it is a classic case of workaholic character. Some parents, especially in asian culture, focus so much on the finances and working day and night for the kids that they forget that showing love is more important than money. All men want to do after a day of work is unwind: games, brainless tv, etc. If that's the case, the woman should make sure to set times for his "him" time and make sure she gets attention. Here, that did not happen.

Slowly the wife feels no love from him and expresses her anger. Just shouting and venting the anger never lets him understand her true feelings. This results in him, immersing himself in his personal activities and work, slowly neglecting her. More neglect results in her being more of a recluse, not sharing her feelings. This avalanche chain effect needs to be broken and talked through. 

The modern timeline: 

1.  Right now, JH is totally confused. He is just analyzing his original timeline and reflecting about his behavior. He was just an impulsive experimenter who was like :"what if I didn't help my wife that day?" and then now realizing the effect a simple event could have done. He is obsessed with a new version of his wife. I do not blame him for being obsessed, she was his wife. This new version of her reminds him of why he fell in love with her in the first place. He realizes why he might be a huge factor on changing his wife. 

2. I know the current wife is trying pursue other relationships and she is wavering. It's not because of JH but due to her lack of morals. JH, on the other hand, is still dealing with his timetravel adventure, with no recollection of the marriage to his current wife. The one thing he can do before he hurts anyone is to pump the brakes, analyze that the might be disrespectful to the current wife by spending no time with her (though she is not so respectful towards him or his family). He should do the right thing and first end his relationship with his current wife. Obviously he doesn't consider her to be his wife. So divorce her. Be single and sort things out slowly.

Excellent post. I very much agree with all that you said. I get really complicated feelings while watching this show. It’s not about he was wrong or she was wrong for me but about where their relationship went wrong and clearly it was not that simple.  When I watch how angry WJ got with him instead of telling him outright how she feels, I get frustrated. At the same time, when I watch how insensitive JH was in that scene where he apologized nonchalantly for missing her dad’s memorial anniversary without realizing she was hurting, I get frustrated. When I see how well they got along before marriage, I really wonder where it all went wrong. I just don’t know yet and from what I’ve seen, they were both at fault. I personally find the glimpses in the past of WJ cold, angry and unresponsive while JH was self-absorbed, insentive and immature. However, that’s okay because I like the realistic vibes I get from them. They feel like “real” people to me, warts and all.

What I would like to see  at the end is he goes back to his real reality and make amends to his wife. Work together and communicate to fix their marriage. Since he is still in love with her and knows now why they fall apart, they need to be honest with each other, spend time together and help each other.  I would love to see them happy and the end with their cute children. 

But I also want Woo-Jin to remember so they can have the big confrontation about him choosing this alternate reality and  both can decide if they want to turn back.

The alternate reality is to make him realize their fault and  to remember their wonderful memories back then. 

I think HJM said it well on her interview. 

“The Wife I Know” will also mark Han Ji Min’s first drama in three years. When asked why she chose this drama, the actress explained, “A unique aspect of ‘The Wife I Know’ is how it has a sense of realism that any one can relate to while having fantasy elements. I was charmed by how the majority of the plot is driven by how connections are made in a split second but this relationship started with a thought that everyone probably has had once in their life, ‘If I had done this back then.'”

Han Ji Min added, “It includes memories of ‘first meetings,’ which anyone naturally forgets over time and may not remember. It’s possible to forget moments that were extremely happy and precious because of reality, and there are cases where people do forget. I hope that this will become a drama that lets people remember initial meetings and memories that make them go, ‘Ah right, it was like this then.'”

Archived