[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ahahaha, if there wasn't a happy ending for FJ and DH, after all the teasers of that family boat ride and the little family at Bihai Cangling, Tencent will have to deactivate their FB and YT accounts. :lol:

Plus I will need a new gadget because the old one broken due to my temper tantrum of watching such a heartbreaking ending instead :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

21 minutes ago, Dreams87 said:

Plus I will need a new gadget because the old one broken due to my temper tantrum of watching such a heartbreaking ending instead :lol:

That's one of the best reasons to get a new device! :lol: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Just saw clips of the last episodes. I feel grimly  satisfied whenever I see Chonglin knocked back by the shield because I still get pissed about how he lashed out at a weeping Feng Jiu.

more than that...seeing the scene about the ring...I realize that in the book, i should be angry Dong Hua took the easy way to get Xiao Bai to forgive him by using the amnesia potion. He only carved the ring later...this irks me because I doubt he would do that before the wedding... ugh.

whereas in the drama...well...Feng Jiu forgave him in Aranya’s Dream so I can’t complain about the ‘when’ Dong Hua carved his heart.

I thought you already know the reason why DH think that giving FJ an amnesia potion is the best salution? It is because of their fragile fate.

PB2 page 353

Dijun raised his hand to rub his forehead. “I called for the Stone of Destiny.
It said our fate is too fragile and must not be subjected to too much
turbulence. Xiao Bai still has some misgivings toward me… at this time if
she remembers I was lying to her in Aranya's Dream, I can't say for sure
what's going to happen. This is the only risk I don't dare take. No matter
how I think about it, this is still the best solution.”

DH carved half of his heart to make a ring is his parting gift to protected FJ when he die. He didn't have to do that before the wedding was because he is alive..as long as he still exist he is the one who will protecting FJ.

• Like 4

While Xiao Yan gave bad advice by insisting Dong Hua liked Jiheng, there  was one piece of good advice he gave Feng Jiu in the BOOK.

when Jiheng asked Dong Hua to take her with him out of the valley to be a maid, Feng Jiu credited Xiao Yan for the insight that that would be a HORRIBLE idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

I thought you already know the reason why DH think that giving FJ an amnesia potion is the best salution? It is because of their fragile fate.

PB2 page 353

Dijun raised his hand to rub his forehead. “I called for the Stone of Destiny.
It said our fate is too fragile and must not be subjected to too much
turbulence. Xiao Bai still has some misgivings toward me… at this time if
she remembers I was lying to her in Aranya's Dream, I can't say for sure
what's going to happen. This is the only risk I don't dare take. No matter
how I think about it, this is still the best solution.”

DH carved half of his heart to make a ring is his parting gift to protected FJ when he die. He didn't have to do that before the wedding was because he is alive..as long as he still exist he is the one who will protecting FJ.

I know why he used he amnesia potion. I just feel like this is still a wrong way to get Feng Jiu to forgive him. He never really did earn Feng Jiu’s forgiveness during that time. And that’s what bugs me. Like he couldn’t carve his heart before he learned he was going to die? 

As for people’s opinions to defend Chonglin. To each their own. Honestly sometimes I still find myself angry at Ye Hua despite knowing what he’s done for Bai Qian.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s because I find out there are Twilight Saga fans on this forum, maybe it’s because I can still recall Feng Jiu licking her lips at the thought of tasting Dong Hua’s blood, but does anybody else find the idea of vampire DongFeng AU hot? Though when I imagine DongFeng as vampires, I picture them as vampires from Vampire Knight, not Twilight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Megan said:

I know why he used he amnesia potion. I just feel like this is still a wrong way to get Feng Jiu to forgive him. He never really did earn Feng Jiu’s forgiveness during that time. And that’s what bugs me. Like he couldn’t carve his heart before he learned he was going to die? 

As for people’s opinions to defend Chonglin. To each their own. Honestly sometimes I still find myself angry at Ye Hua despite knowing what he’s done for Bai Qian.

As you brought up again why ZL lashing out is awful for you, and the blowback on how you liked karmic revenge so it's satisfying to see him in pain due to the ward, then of DH's injuries still too less that carving out his heart should have been before the wedding and not because he's about to die, you'll get reminded back as well of the situation, and how others would differently read and analyze their actions. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

then of DH's injuries still too less that carving out his heart should have been before the wedding and not because he's about to die, you'll get reminded back as well of the situation, and how others would differently read and analyze their actions.

Um...is there a way to paraphrase this...I don’t understand it. Sorry ^.^’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I'm not really get it...what are you trying to say actually?

DH doesn't need to carved his heart because he himself always be there for FJ. Always glue to her so that everytime when supposedly FJ in danger he will always be her hero her saviour.

From my perspective , the ring is also represent ,entitled as if his apologized to FJ for whatever everything he did wrong in the past.

As for Chonglin , both FJ and DH would felt grateful toward him because apparently his bluntness seems to be a saving grace. Especially in the drama version.. 

PB2 page 472/473

This ring is made from half of Dijun's
heart. Even when he's not here anymore, it will not go away. It will stay to
protect you always.”
Half of his heart. Her memory came flooding back like tidal waves. She
vaguely remembered it was when they first entered into Aranya's Dream.
While her memory was jumbled, he lied to her and said she had forgiven
everything he did wrong in the past because he had knelt down to her.

What did she say in reply?
“Dijun, you must've done more than just kneeling down to me right? Even
though I don't remember much, you must've done something even more
embarrassing, right?”
“Don't try to trick me just because I can't remember. I changed my mind just
because you knelt down to me? Don't underestimate me. I don't believe you!”
How did he answer her?

If I want you forgive me, what should I do, Xiao Bai?”
What did she say?
Carve your heart out. I heard that when one wants to declare his feelings, there is
nothing more sincere than to carve his heart out. Mortals die when their hearts are
removed, so when death is made into remembrance, such memory cannot fail to be significant nor can it fail to be sincere.”

PS: from their conversation seem like DH already apologize but for some reason FJ didn't believe him

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

From my perspective , the ring is also represent ,entitled as if his apologized to FJ for whatever everything he did wrong in the past.

Exactly! The ring was supposed to be Dong Hua’s apology. But he only gave it to her at the end. Shouldn’t he have given it to her way before then?! I just dislike how Dong Hua never really apologised in the book. He said he kneeled down to gain her forgiveness. Lies! And when Feng Jiu tells him what he has to do to earn her forgiveness...he waits way after the wedding to give her the ring. Why not give her that ring right after they got out of the Dream? If not for forgiveness then to prove he was sincere in his love for her.

edited: ok, I admit his intention to marry her was proof of his love sincerity

• Like 1

Also, out of the blue, does anybody know where I can read other fantasy books about these CHINESE fox spirits? I read about Daji in the 2020 Mulan prequel and an average fox spirit in Sabrina the teenage witch. Any recommendations? I’m hoping it will be English. Technically there is also a book called Wicked Fox about a fox spirit but it isn’t based on Chinese culture and I haven’t read it so... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Megan said:

I realize that in the book, i should be angry Dong Hua took the easy way to get Xiao Bai to forgive him by using the amnesia potion. He only carved the ring later...this irks me because I doubt he would do that before the wedding... ugh.

whereas in the drama...well...Feng Jiu forgave him in Aranya’s Dream so I can’t complain about the ‘when’ Dong Hua carved his heart.

As you brought up again why ZL lashing out is awful for you, and the blowback on how you liked karmic revenge so it's satisfying to see him in pain due to the ward, then of DH's injuries still too less that carving out his heart should have been before the wedding and not because he's about to die, you'll get reminded back as well of the situation, and how others would differently read and analyze their actions. 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Um...is there a way to paraphrase this...I don’t understand it. Sorry ^.^’

He was not injured in the book until he absorbed the poisoning from JH. In the adaptation, he's not fully regained yet his lost cultivation after leaving Aranya's dream, but lost some of it again when he broke Nie Chuyin's sword. He's further impeded on recovering when he once and for all put an end of JH's presence in his life.

Either way, in the book or adaptation, his cultivation was decimated before the wedding. He was not bleeding, but it doesn't mean he wasn't suffering from the poison he absorbed. 

Afterwards, he knew he will not likely survive the battle with ML. But since there's this one person he cares for more than anything, he is leaving her his home and birthplace, and his heart ring to keep protecting her beyond his death.

By your comment, however, DH's carving out half of his heart when he is about to die is not good enough as doing it before the wedding.

The answer is in the excerpt below, that he was wrong to alter her mind and that he wishes for her forgiveness, not only for not being there on the wedding, but also for the sea of misunderstandings between them, and for him not being able to stay with her anymore.

“If I want you forgive me, what should I do, Xiao Bai?”

What did she say? 

“Carve your heart out. I heard that when one wants to declare his feelings, there is nothing more sincere than to carve his heart out. Mortals die when their hearts are removed, so when death is made into remembrance, such memory cannot fail to be significant nor can it fail to be sincere.” (PB2, p473)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Megan said:

Exactly! The ring was supposed to be Dong Hua’s apology. But he only gave it to her at the end. Shouldn’t he have given it to her way before then?! I just dislike how Dong Hua never really apologised in the book. He said he kneeled down to gain her forgiveness. Lies! And when Feng Jiu tells him what he has to do to earn her forgiveness...he waits way after the wedding to give her the ring. Why not give her that ring right after they got out of the Dream? If not for forgiveness then to prove he was sincere in his love for her.

Actually , We as a reader also didn't know whether DH is really lied when he confessed about him knelt down to apologize to FJ because TQ didn't elaborated it more . TQ wrote those scenes in FJ's perspectives... and FJ didn't believe it because it out of his usually character ..DH didn't knelt down to NO ONE answer to NO  ONE... that why FJ thought he was lying..but actually WE / I easily can assumed DH really did that ..kneel down to just one person Xiao Bai.. just her , because since meeting her , DH has been doing a lot funny, peculiar , ridiculous things to gain FJ attention/love.

You asked why not give FJ the "apologize" ring when they came out from Aranya Dream eventhough he already had sacrifices his fairy energy..To ordinary people, 1000 Fengjius wasn't worth even one of Dijun's fingers.( LS pov)

Cut DH some slack...this man a deeply-in love's man has to sacrifices 90% of his fairy energy in order to save his love interest just to enter Aranya Dreamverse and also jeopardize the peace of the world by follow FJ in the Aranya Dream.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

He didn't give it to her earlier because he couldn't find her. And if you meant he should have given her the ring right after they got out of Aranya's dream, well the timing wasn't there because they were happily stuck with each other. DH being a high level God who is high up the ladder for a gazillion years would not have been aware as to apologise because that's how he's wired. He's used to others apologising to him instead. Of course, DH too has his demerits as no one is perfect (such as not knowing when to apologise) but he made up for it big time when he carved out half his heart to protect FJ after his death.

In a way, this is TQ's brilliant strategy of writing the story. Cos if DH apologised earlier and there were no misunderstandings, then we'd get a boring predictable story without justification, angst and suffering. These are the kind of stories that stir up emotions in readers' minds and hearts so much so that readers will not put down the book until they have read the last page.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

30 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

.To ordinary people, 1000 Fengjius wasn't worth even one of Dijun's fingers.( LS pov)

In the adaptation Ep44, FJ acknowledged that outside the dream, DH will be again that hard to reach leader Emperor, while she is that insignificant fox he cares little about.

(Of course she's not insignificant for him, nor he cares little, as he's going to marry her)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, chsaf said:

Of course, DH too has his demerits as no one is perfect (such as not knowing when to apologise) but he made up for it big time when he carved out half his heart to protect FJ after his death.

Winning over Cheng Yu and Xiao Yan, bosom buddy and close friend of Feng Jiu meant that they had seen the sincerity to FJ. XY wanted to save him too when he was made to realize DH might not live.

Unconventional ways and means he might have resorted to to keep the relationship due to very weak fate, then his defiance of destiny, and of what he did and was willing to do, DH was through and through besotted and in love with FJ. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

“Carve your heart out. I heard that when one wants to declare his feelings, there is nothing more sincere than to carve his heart out. Mortals die when their hearts are removed, so when death is made into remembrance, such memory cannot fail to be significant nor can it fail to be sincere.” (PB2, p473)

This!!! 

Many readers just focused on the "Crave your heart " part but forgot the real intention/context behind the request of FJ.. when ones craves his heart out at his dying moment, death will be made into remembrance, nothing can top this gesture in the sincerity/loyalty department.. one can say that this is the ULTIMATE GESTURE of showing ones loyalty/eternal love. That's why FJ made such extreme request not because she wanted DJ to litreally cut his heart out for her but to give an hint that she expects that kind of loyalty from him, but in the end DJ did it litreally to clear all of her doubts abt him form it's roots (also to protect her from the trail) @Megan

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aari sky said:

.. one can say that this is the ULTIMATE GESTURE of showing ones loyalty/eternal love.

DH gave literally half of his heart to the one who has always filled it, from when she was the little red fox, until he met FJ as the empress he had longed for and waited for.

It has always been her, nobody else but her, and beyond death it is still her who will own his heart and love.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The wedding might be in Lotus Steps, but IMO it will be nicer if it's Bodhi Fate so that SW can join the fun. Pregnancy news might be announced halfway through the celebration. :lol: But the new baby sibling of BGG will be born only after 3 years - that's how long it takes them.

I know TQ mentioned DH and FJ may have a little girl after BGG. Let me highlight the word "may". So BGG's sibling will be included in the books sooner than expected???

I was hoping the younger sibling would have a bigger age gap.

10 hours ago, Megan said:

Just saw clips of the last episodes. I feel grimly  satisfied whenever I see Chonglin knocked back by the shield because I still get pissed about how he lashed out at a weeping Feng Jiu.

more than that...seeing the scene about the ring...I realize that in the book, i should be angry Dong Hua took the easy way to get Xiao Bai to forgive him by using the amnesia potion. He only carved the ring later...this irks me because I doubt he would do that before the wedding... ugh.

Some people feel this way but they forgot to consider ZL's place in DH's life. That's why he acted that way towards FJ. 

It is true both DH and FJ were at fault but ZL saw how much DH has suffered because he loved FJ so much (even though his actions are not considered the bestest options). ZL has always been by DH's side for a long time that he knows what's going on with him. ZL knows DH best imo.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1