[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

39 minutes ago, chipz03 said:

I also notice YX absence. I don't know whether it got something to do with the plot? For me,  he's been a question mark lately. (well,  ming members are question marks as well in the later episodes. But YX stood out for me.  Perhaps I look into it too much though). It's interesting take on his character though. Hoping perhaps for a good mini storyline for him too. The actor has this charisma and screen presence that nicely fit Yang Xiao.  

Me too, I miss YX!  If I'm not mistaken, WJ ordered some subordinates to take YX away from Shaolin right after he got injured from the fight with the 3 monks, because he would only be able to recover in peace away from all the fighting.  Plotwise, I think this was necessary because if YX was present, the other Ming members wouldn't be able to talk back to WJ the way they did.  And YX would have managed to hold down the fort while WJ was still crying at MM's grave.

I think that conversation between WJ and ZZR in Episode 48 explains his "mild" reaction after finding out the truth about Snake Island.  He can't find it in himself to hate ZZR, he only pities and feels sorry for her.  Boy, she was even more mad after he said that:lol:  I guess that saying is true, “You can not hate someone you first did not love. You hate them because you loved them, and you lost them.”  That's why he was so much more hurt when he thought ZM was the murderer.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, achng said:

Me too, I miss YX!  If I'm not mistaken, WJ ordered some subordinates to take YX away from Shaolin right after he got injured from the fight with the 3 monks, because he would only be able to recover in peace away from all the fighting.  Plotwise, I think this was necessary because if YX was present, the other Ming members wouldn't be able to talk back to WJ the way they did.  And YX would have managed to hold down the fort while WJ was still crying at MM's grave.

I think that conversation between WJ and ZZR in Episode 48 explains his "mild" reaction after finding out the truth about Snake Island.  He can't find it in himself to hate ZZR, he only pities and feels sorry for her.  Boy, she was even more mad after he said that:lol:  I guess that saying is true, “You can not hate someone you first did not love. You hate them because you loved them, and you lost them.”  That's why he was so much more hurt when he thought ZM was the murderer.

I was quite happy to see ZWJ non chalent reaction and response towards ZZR when ZZR passed him the manual. All he said was thank you and he can't hate her, and ask her to rest early. 

I feel that ZZR was mad at him for behaving like no strong reaction. Feel like she kinda expect some reaction from him   but No sorry, ZZR, WJ did not love you so there will be no special reaction, Haha

11 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

I was quite happy to see ZWJ non chalent reaction and response towards ZZR when ZZR passed him the manual. All he said was thank you and he can't hate her, and ask her to rest early. 

I feel that ZZR was mad at him for behaving like no strong reaction. Feel like she kinda expect some reaction from him   but No sorry, ZZR, WJ did not love you so there will be no special reaction, Haha

ZZR question WJ - you not hate me for killing your cousin, stole the sword & saber and want to kill your sweetheart “ZM”. His answer is “NO” just feel sorry for you, time for you to get some rest. Wow, that not the answer ZZR want to hear. But that the answer she got from WJ.

17 minutes ago, bluesky888 said:

ZZR question WJ - you not hate me for killing your cousin, stole the sword & saber and want to kill your sweetheart “ZM”. His answer is “NO” just feel sorry for you, time for you to get some rest. Wow, that not the answer ZZR want to hear. But that the answer she got from WJ.

Yeah that was an indirect invisible slap to her face. I saw some fans commenting that it's a very happy feeling to see this scene 

17 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

Yeah that was an indirect invisible slap to her face. I saw some fans commenting that it's a very happy feeling to see this scene 

SQS told ZZR that she doesn’t hate ZWJ instead she hate ZM more and that she now happy because ZM got killed by her father. 

My feeling overall is that the show made the choice to underplay the harem and focus a lot more on WJ's role as the up and coming leader of the wulin community. A choice that I applaud by the way. I also realise that the show has chosen to modernize and emphasize WJ's monogamatic side with his preference for ZM clearly spelt out. As a whole it feels like the show diminished the more fantastical elements of the original source and focused on playing out many of the realities and consequences that come out of personal choices made by the characters. I never believed that YTTLJ was primarily ever about the romance. It was always something of a growing up story for a young man who was largely out of tune with conventional wisdom. That's why I'm with ZM in that WJ doesn't really belong in this world. His role was to facilitate the war and to bring about the unity among the martial arts community. After that... it's for others to duke it out.

There are times when war is clearly necessary especially in defence of freedom and those who cannot defend themselves. And the truth of the matter is that it does tear people and families apart. While I cringe at the xenophobia and mob mentality, I understand all these sentiments. The people a generation above me who are still with us lived through the second world war or were born in the middle of it. I have heard the stories. Not many but enough to understand what's underlying the lifelong hatred for the invader. 

Still I sympathize with ZM's dilemma. I don't think she was naive in the sense that she thought it was going to be easy to be with WJ but perhaps she underestimated the hold that the Ming sect and WJ's elders had over him. Or the indebtedness he felt for them. What I think now is that she believed that if she took the difficult step of breaking with her own family and people for love, WJ could do the same. I imagine that she thought that he could walk away from all of that because she was prepared to do it. He, on the other hand, may have naively believed that he could persuade the others into accepting her because he was their leader. Or to trust his judgment. Once he decided to follow his heart, he was prepared to what it takes to keep her with him. But their hatred of foreign rule plus past history with ZM can't be assuage so quickly.

In light of everything, I don't think the show can sidestep all of that.

The other thing I like about downplaying the harem in this version is that it gives focus to the politics of nationalism and its extreme form of jingoism. Nationalism is a double-edged sword. It's used to unite a people but it almost always inadvertently creates a "them" and an "us" scenario. This is exploited here by the villain Chen Kun" and the vampy version of ZR. It's ugly that people can ignore horrible sins committed by others in the name of well, "at-least-you're-not-a-foreigner". The universality of justice becomes a casualty in all of this.

I was deeply moved by the scene of Xie Xun kneeling serenely in expectation of avenging loved ones coming after him. One by one they approach him and then choose to walk away when he makes no move to defend himself. The self-appointed avengers are not without some nobility and at least they've been given the opportunity to air grievances. It's a lovely scene of repentance and surrender.

This Qingshu is definitely my favourite. I am so sad for him but at least the show gave him a hero's send-off. He has colour and dimension even when his pallor looks unhealthy. ;) Even in his weakness, he isn't without some measure of nobility. Sadly he fell into the hands of unsavoury characters which caused his impulsive nature to act stupidly. I am left with little doubt that his devotion for ZR and his Wudang family is genuine.

I didn't have too many problems with Episodes 47 and 48 apart from the usual dissatisfaction with the martial arts sequences being predictably unspectacular. I had already sensed that the show was moving very quickly several episodes ago so it there was nothing in these two that were especially fast moving considering that there are only 2 left in the series. As I'm a bit time poor, I increased the pacing even more by speeding through some of the scenes. ;)

Yes! That's a theme that keeps coming up on threads, that it would be lovely to see them in a series that _doesn't_ torture Yukee's character so much! ;)

But seriously I think Bambi the better actress of the two lead actresses, and I would be happy to see Joseph again in another wuxia (with whoever) since he's done so well here.

It's my way of comforting myself that this is ending 

1) There's always fanfic

2) There's going to be another adaptation of HSDS (I was amazed by the MV that showed the 13(!) prior versions, more than 2 each decade since the book was released) and

3) I'm sure Joseph and Yukee and Bambi and YuShen will be in other dramas! :)

I still can't get over the scene where ZM applied medicine for WJ.  They seem too natural, acted like husband and wife in front of those men:lol:  That's a pretty odd action for a non husband and wife for ancient time, even WJ isn't blushing since he's pretty conservative.  I also wonder if they already did that deed like some of you who posted earlier.  I read from other forum that there a speculation/conspiracy theory about the possibility of a Baby WJ.  That is the perfect ending I wish for.:wub:

Who else keep watching back those romantic moments between WJ and ZM? Me! I just can't have enough of their moments together...When WJ defended ZM in front of everyone, screamed out to his uncle that he will not kill her, said that he will definitely marry her, nothing changes, told ZR that he doesn't hate but pity and feel sorry for her, acted so worried when asking ZR  but held her hand so tight if she known anything about ZM (it showed that he's freaking out and super worried) I'm sure ZR could see how much WJ loves ZM from that. Now when I'm watching back those moments between WJ and ZM, it's so cute. The moment ZM applied the medicine on Wj's back too....in front of all elders...For real, they could do it, but ZM did it...put WJ's clothes back. WJ even asked ZM to serve tea to his elders too...it's like letting them know ZM is his wife..ahhahaha :wub:...Remember WJ's dad used to ask for his mom to do the same too...ahhahahaha...Like Father like Son. They both attract to the similar type of women, both women were hated by their elders and masters...ahahahha....:w00t: You know what I meant. WJ first pushed ZM away, but then the moment he carried ZM up after the incident at Snake Island...im like...ohhhh! you don't do that to someone you don't love/like...:wub:;)

13 minutes ago, Sooyun Ahgase said:

Who else keep watching back those romantic moments between WJ and ZM? Me! I just can't have enough of their moments together...When WJ defended ZM in front of everyone, screamed out to his uncle that he will not kill her, said that he will definitely marry her, nothing changes, told ZR that he doesn't hate but pity and feel sorry for her, acted so worried when asking ZR  but held her hand so tight if she known anything about ZM (it showed that he's freaking out and super worried) I'm sure ZR could see how much WJ loves ZM from that. Now when I'm watching back those moments between WJ and ZM, it's so cute. The moment ZM applied the medicine on Wj's back too....in front of all elders...For real, they could do it, but ZM did it...put WJ's clothes back. WJ even asked ZM to serve tea to his elders too...it's like letting them know ZM is his wife..ahhahaha :wub:...Remember WJ's dad used to ask for his mom to do the same too...ahhahahaha...Like Father like Son. They both attract to the similar type of women, both women were hated by their elders and masters...ahahahha....:w00t: You know what I meant. WJ first pushed ZM away, but then the moment he carried ZM up after the incident at Snake Island...im like...ohhhh! you don't do that to someone you don't love/like...:wub:;)

Yup, I did re-watched all their scenes together countless times.:lol:  You can definitely feels the processed thru out the whole drama how WJ falling in love with ZM.  This is the best HSDS and WJ, ZM version for me.

1 minute ago, jackieusa said:

Yup, I did re-watched all their scenes together countless times.:lol:  You can definitely feels the processed thru out the whole drama how WJ falling in love with ZM.  This is the best HSDS and WJ, ZM version for me.

I think so too! Of course it can't be perfect, there's also small lacking in scenes that don't follow what we truly want, but it's the best out of all versions I've seen...probably not the old ones in 1900s yet lol i can't find those to watch. 

33 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

I still can't get over the scene where ZM applied medicine for WJ.  They seem too natural, acted like husband and wife in front of those men:lol:  That's a pretty odd action for a non husband and wife for ancient time, even WJ isn't blushing since he's pretty conservative.  I also wonder if they already did that deed like some of you who posted earlier.  I read from other forum that there a speculation/conspiracy theory about the possibility of a Baby WJ.  That is the perfect ending I wish for.:wub:

They have probably done IT after the rain reunion. LOL.

Just now, PutriSing said:

They have probably done IT after the rain reunion. LOL.

OMG! they should have shown it! hahaha...maybe not completely...but just in bed scene...wah...maybe it will be shown in the last scene of final episode when they both are in the room and WJ draws ZM's eyebrow! you know....:w00t::wub:

37 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

I don’t mind if they add where it said MinMin pregnancy with a baby at the end. That would add the special to this version and never in previous version.

I’m also like that scene where MinNin applied the medicine on WJ back and YX was smile if you look at YX. 

Just now, bluesky888 said:

I don’t mind if they add where it said MinMin pregnancy with a baby at the end. That would add the special to this version and never in previous version.

I’m also like that scene where MinNin applied the medicine on WJ back and YX was smile if you look at YX. 

yeah. I saw that...hahahaha. I forgot his name and initial to include into my discussion lol....

So...I've been rewatching ZM-WJ moment together just to sooth my sad heart since they got separated again:( and I have question.

What is the basic rule of healing people using nei gong in wuxia? Especially between man and woman that is not related.

In the cave after the wedding fiasco, WJ was healing ZM with nei gong and then again in the farmers' village.

What's the difference between that and the one he did with ZR in snake island? WJ was so hesitant to heal ZR since it kind of will 'defile'(?) her or something, like it's not something you're supposed to do unless you're husband-wife or father-daughter or mother-son.

If it's the same I guess it kinds of prove that ZR is right about WJ's attitude towards ZM, if ZM is the one who is poisoned he'll probably just heal her using nei gong immediately, proprietary be damned

Baby Wuji, that's pretty something to look forward to!! I hope it is true. I am pretty sure they baby dance after the raining scene. This "after raining scene love making" topic has been hot and non stop discussions in some other community. 

I raise my hand here on non stop repeatedly watching of their couple scenes. Guess what, i even caught my husband repeatedly watching their couple scene, my goodness

I kept rewatch the following scenes :

Namely:

-raining scene

-going back to ming sect and was not welcomed by members, then with YX involvement, resolving the whole thing, YX is too charming here. 

-the scene in which he protect her from Yin Ye wang attack after Yin tian zheng death from war. That scene had the most tormented expression on WJ face and still he has to protect her due to deep love. I love that obvious deep love. 

-the non chalent reaction to ZZR and ask her to go back to rest haha. Just to see her defeated face 

-the scene where he couldn't find her in the room and begging XX to disclose her whereabouts (with teary eyes) 

-the scene that he hold zzr arm to request her to tell him about zm whereabouts. He cried after thinking she is dead. 

-the Tombstone scene!! Just this scene alone, i watch almost like 20 times

32 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

So...I've been rewatching ZM-WJ moment together just to sooth my sad heart since they got separated again:( and I have question.

What is the basic rule of healing people using nei gong in wuxia? Especially between man and woman that is not related.

In the cave after the wedding fiasco, WJ is healing ZM with nei gong and then again in the farmers' village.

What's the difference between that and the one he did with ZR in snake island? WJ was so hesitant to heal ZR since it kind of will 'defile'(?) her or something, like it's not something you're supposed to do unless you're husband-wife or father-daughter.

If it's the same I guess it kinds of prove that ZR is right about WJ's attitude towards ZM, if ZM is the one who is poisoned he'll probably just heal her using nei gong immediately, proprietary be damned

I thought the same as well. 

What is the logic that he has to marry ZZR in order to heal her, whereas he had already touch ZM so many times, hahaha 

Tickle her sole, 

Carry her up

Hold her hands 

Hold her shoulder alone, already several times

Archived