larus

[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

9 hours ago, bedifferent said:

how long have you’ve been a scrub nurse? :D

25 years in cardiac surgery.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, annagriss8 said:

JTBC 'Life' still cuts #JoSeungWoo #WonJinAh

Ahhh someone on Twitter was wondering if these stills hints of romance.... nooooooooo

15 minutes ago, wanda77 said:

Gosh so does this drama speak to you? For me, i felt this drama has been pretty realistic as I have heard of some of these situations from doc friends.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, YuKo Wong said:

so does this drama speak to you?

I've seen all of those things so far, and more. More detailed in the message sent to you.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, wanda77 said:

wow, I thank you for the dedication and care on behalf of the patients and doctors.

31 minutes ago, YuKo Wong said:

Ahhh someone on Twitter was wondering if these stills hints of romance.... nooooooooo

Gosh so does this drama speak to you? For me, i felt this drama has been pretty realistic as I have heard of some of these situations from doc friends.

It’s very real. just finished all four episodes. lots of interruptions.  took me that long to warm up to the drama.  think it was the same with secret forest.

i have to let this simmer but right now, it’s unlike any medical drama that i have seen before in style and plotting.  i like it. at this point, Seung-Hyo is not a bad guy nor is he the only one whose character is not who he is. Seung-Hyo is a terribly  complex person.  I don’t like the female neurosurgeon, maybe it has to do with her ever angry haughty attitude.  Feels like i need to spend more time with each character.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YuKo Wong said:
2 hours ago, annagriss8 said:

JTBC 'Life' still cuts #JoSeungWoo #WonJinAh

This was posted by baczo22:

Hi Yes it said thers love line.

its an interview from moonsori and reporter said that her character oh sae hwa seems to be an important character among the various characters in the series.

She so replied, jo seung woo and lee dong woo's characters are important, and won jin ah who has love line btw the two people is important too.

DgYy-aFUYAA8bP_.jpg

As for me, I prefer no loveline at all. The story itself: power struggle and hospital politic are complex enough.

• Like 3

In episode 4, Seung-Hyo visited the Minister of Environment’s father to try get him to sell his land in Songtan to Hwajeong conglomerate.  The elderly man refused to sell the land, holding on to what his father saved for him, in hope of relocating there to live with his town people (although there is hardly anyone left).  The land was obtained through forced labor as part of a land reclamation project by ex president Park.  It’s a dark part of history that his son doesn’t want him to reveal.  Seung-Hyo looked up information about the original Seosan pioneers on his phone.  I did too.  If you want to read, link is below.  

https://www.voanews.com/a/in-s-korea-ex-vagrants-want-land-promised-for-forced-labor/3798751.html

While the elderman was signing the contract, we see Seong-Hyo half hearted change of mind, almost wanting to stop him.  Their conversation  affects him now that he knows the history of the land.  He’s not a heartless man without a conscience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, annagriss8 said:

This was posted by baczo22:

Hi Yes it said thers love line.

its an interview from moonsori and reporter said that her character oh sae hwa seems to be an important character among the various characters in the series.

She so replied, jo seung woo and lee dong woo's characters are important, and won jin ah who has love line btw the two people is important too.

As for me, I prefer no loveline at all. The story itself: power struggle and hospital politic are complex enough.

Sigh I guess a love line would add more spice and emotional conflicts ... but if that's the case, the love relationship is going to be a square!

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

In episode 4, Seung-Hyo visited the Minister of Environment’s father to try get him to sell his land in Songtan to Hwajeong conglomerate.  The elderly man refused to sell the land, holding on to what his father saved for him, in hope of relocating there to live with his town people (although there is hardly anyone left).  The land was obtained through forced labor as part of a land reclamation project by ex president Park.  It’s a dark part of history that his son doesn’t want him to reveal.  Seung-Hyo looked up information about the original Seosan pioneers on his phone.  I did too.  If you want to read, link is below.  

https://www.voanews.com/a/in-s-korea-ex-vagrants-want-land-promised-for-forced-labor/3798751.html

While the elderman was signing the contract, we see Seong-Hyo half hearted change of mind, almost wanting to stop him.  Their conversation  affects him now that he knows the history of the land.  He’s not a heartless man without a conscience.

CSW conveyed the emotions of a conflicted man very well in this scene.... the dilemma was written on his face and the shot panned to his hands which showed him hesitating to stop the old chap from stamping on the agreement. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

23 minutes ago, YuKo Wong said:

Sigh I guess a love line would add more spice and emotional conflicts ... but if that's the case, the love relationship is going to be a square!

CSW conveyed the emotions of a conflicted man very well in this scene.... the dilemma was written on his face and the shot panned to his hands which showed him hesitating to stop the old chap from stamping on the agreement. 

Yeah I like JSW a lot here, that scene too.  It’s as if he went 180 degrees on us, from an emotionless ShiMok to one deeply layered expressive character.  From the synopsis, Seong-Hyo was given a chance by the old chairman to work for the company thus why he remained loyal to it. The dinner between him and the transplant coordinator gives a lille intro to his young self when they went to the same college.  Seong-hyo didn’t quite understand on the elder man’s history but has to use his fear of his past interefering with his son’s job to force the deal.  He didn’t know the history and significance of the land parcel until the man told him.  A little guilty yet still did his job.  It’s only on the way back did he starts to look up the Seosan project.  Wonder if he feels more personally responsible for the hospital building on the land now.

Make me wonder if all his years in logistics dulled his feelings as opposed to him being a ruthless man.  He’s talented in calculations and deducing with a brilliant mind.  He just very analytical so that’s why he is good in risk and management.  Good thing is that he’s willing to learn.

I saw the slight twitch of interest.  SF didn’t have an outright romance.  Life maybe the same, simmering romantic feels :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Life" Episode 2

photo992431.jpg

The fight for Sangkook University Hospital has begun, and the arrival of someone probably already being burned in effigy by the staff brings a lot of nastiness to the surface. While Jin-woo struggles to find information and allies for his plans, the aforementioned Seung-hyo is already reworking the hospital from the ground up, eager to cut away the parts that do not suit his needs and the greater ambitions hidden behind them.

Read more on Hancinema

• Like 4

Interesting but rather odd drama so far.  Can someone tell me what is going on with the brother?  I thought I saw him standing by his brother at both the hospital and at the police station and then it shows him at home as a paraplegic in a wheel chair.  Did I miss something or misidentify him?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kathy said:

Interesting but rather odd drama so far.  Can someone tell me what is going on with the brother?  I thought I saw him standing by his brother at both the hospital and at the police station and then it shows him at home as a paraplegic in a wheel chair.  Did I miss something or misidentify him?

Dr Ye has some psychiatric condition that imagines his brother as a normal person who is like his subconscious. His Brother in reality is actually a paraplegic due to an unfortunate accident when he was young which also led to his father’s death.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kathy said:

From what I can gather, Seon-woo and Dad may have gotten into an accident which Dad passed away and Seon-woo was hurt.  Seon-woo retreated into himself and talked less after he became a paraplegic.  Jin-woo misses being with Seon-woo when he was healthy and talking.  As a child, he was always forced to study math so often miss going out with Dad and his brother.  He was upset that Seon-woo got hurt so he created an imaginary brother that can physically be with him. 

Episode 4 deals with a medication mistake by the oncology resident.  The physician was supposed to give vincristine intravenously and cytarabine intrathecally but switched the medication at bedside.  Giving vincristine intrathecally is fatal for the patient.  I didn't quite believe this part in the drama because in real life, there always need to be 2 physicians at bedside to double check intrathecal medications since the risk is very high.  Having said that, I like how Seung-hyo has quite a pair of discerning eyes and sharp mind to catch the omission in the weekly mortality report by the cancer center. A university teaching hospital carries its own risk since it is the training ground for future physicians. When you have teaching oversight like this, leaving an inexperienced resident to give critical medications without any supervision on top of short staffing and long hours, it's the patients that will eventually get hurt.  When the system fails, it's all more important to not sweep mistakes under the rug.  We have to report these errors so we can learn and try to change to prevent the same mistakes from happening.  Seung-hyo's discovery force the oncologist to reveal a flaw in the system where his reporting was lost to follow up.  I am not sure if they are going to explore this error more in the upcoming episode but I am glad that the medication error issue got spotlighted here.  It's a common mistake that needed to be fixed in real life.  I'm glad Seung-hyo forces the oncologists to admit their fault.

In the same episode, we get to see the other side, the better way to handle mistakes by Jin-woo and his resident, Dr. Park.  Discharging the suicidal father prematurely without a psych consult lead to him hurting the cop that accompanied him home.  Dr. Park was very torn up about his mistake. Jin-woo shared his own mistake with the resident.  There's this phrase that struck fear in many doctors no matter how many times they are spoken.  "Do you remember that patient? He came back".  There was something the physician did that caused the patient to come back.  Did he make an error?  Jin-woo didn't necessarily think mistakes are bad since they keep physicians on their toes, forces them to take accountability for their actions.  Physicians need to be reminded that they are human thus admitting to mistakes keep them humble.  Remember their mistake and the patients that they hurt will keep them from going on hurting more carelessly.

The drama did such a good job presenting these points in the episode.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2