[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

6 hours ago, annagriss8 said:

This was posted by baczo22:

Hi Yes it said thers love line.

its an interview from moonsori and reporter said that her character oh sae hwa seems to be an important character among the various characters in the series.

She so replied, jo seung woo and lee dong woo's characters are important, and won jin ah who has love line btw the two people is important too.

As for me, I prefer no loveline at all. The story itself: power struggle and hospital politic are complex enough.

Sigh I guess a love line would add more spice and emotional conflicts ... but if that's the case, the love relationship is going to be a square!

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

In episode 4, Seung-Hyo visited the Minister of Environment’s father to try get him to sell his land in Songtan to Hwajeong conglomerate.  The elderly man refused to sell the land, holding on to what his father saved for him, in hope of relocating there to live with his town people (although there is hardly anyone left).  The land was obtained through forced labor as part of a land reclamation project by ex president Park.  It’s a dark part of history that his son doesn’t want him to reveal.  Seung-Hyo looked up information about the original Seosan pioneers on his phone.  I did too.  If you want to read, link is below.  

https://www.voanews.com/a/in-s-korea-ex-vagrants-want-land-promised-for-forced-labor/3798751.html

While the elderman was signing the contract, we see Seong-Hyo half hearted change of mind, almost wanting to stop him.  Their conversation  affects him now that he knows the history of the land.  He’s not a heartless man without a conscience.

CSW conveyed the emotions of a conflicted man very well in this scene.... the dilemma was written on his face and the shot panned to his hands which showed him hesitating to stop the old chap from stamping on the agreement. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

23 minutes ago, YuKo Wong said:

Sigh I guess a love line would add more spice and emotional conflicts ... but if that's the case, the love relationship is going to be a square!

CSW conveyed the emotions of a conflicted man very well in this scene.... the dilemma was written on his face and the shot panned to his hands which showed him hesitating to stop the old chap from stamping on the agreement. 

Yeah I like JSW a lot here, that scene too.  It’s as if he went 180 degrees on us, from an emotionless ShiMok to one deeply layered expressive character.  From the synopsis, Seong-Hyo was given a chance by the old chairman to work for the company thus why he remained loyal to it. The dinner between him and the transplant coordinator gives a lille intro to his young self when they went to the same college.  Seong-hyo didn’t quite understand on the elder man’s history but has to use his fear of his past interefering with his son’s job to force the deal.  He didn’t know the history and significance of the land parcel until the man told him.  A little guilty yet still did his job.  It’s only on the way back did he starts to look up the Seosan project.  Wonder if he feels more personally responsible for the hospital building on the land now.

Make me wonder if all his years in logistics dulled his feelings as opposed to him being a ruthless man.  He’s talented in calculations and deducing with a brilliant mind.  He just very analytical so that’s why he is good in risk and management.  Good thing is that he’s willing to learn.

I saw the slight twitch of interest.  SF didn’t have an outright romance.  Life maybe the same, simmering romantic feels :)

• Like 4

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Life" Episode 2

photo992431.jpg

The fight for Sangkook University Hospital has begun, and the arrival of someone probably already being burned in effigy by the staff brings a lot of nastiness to the surface. While Jin-woo struggles to find information and allies for his plans, the aforementioned Seung-hyo is already reworking the hospital from the ground up, eager to cut away the parts that do not suit his needs and the greater ambitions hidden behind them.

Read more on Hancinema

• Like 3

Interesting but rather odd drama so far.  Can someone tell me what is going on with the brother?  I thought I saw him standing by his brother at both the hospital and at the police station and then it shows him at home as a paraplegic in a wheel chair.  Did I miss something or misidentify him?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kathy said:

Interesting but rather odd drama so far.  Can someone tell me what is going on with the brother?  I thought I saw him standing by his brother at both the hospital and at the police station and then it shows him at home as a paraplegic in a wheel chair.  Did I miss something or misidentify him?

Dr Ye has some psychiatric condition that imagines his brother as a normal person who is like his subconscious. His Brother in reality is actually a paraplegic due to an unfortunate accident when he was young which also led to his father’s death.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kathy said:

From what I can gather, Seon-woo and Dad may have gotten into an accident which Dad passed away and Seon-woo was hurt.  Seon-woo retreated into himself and talked less after he became a paraplegic.  Jin-woo misses being with Seon-woo when he was healthy and talking.  As a child, he was always forced to study math so often miss going out with Dad and his brother.  He was upset that Seon-woo got hurt so he created an imaginary brother that can physically be with him. 

Episode 4 deals with a medication mistake by the oncology resident.  The physician was supposed to give vincristine intravenously and cytarabine intrathecally but switched the medication at bedside.  Giving vincristine intrathecally is fatal for the patient.  I didn't quite believe this part in the drama because in real life, there always need to be 2 physicians at bedside to double check intrathecal medications since the risk is very high.  Having said that, I like how Seung-hyo has quite a pair of discerning eyes and sharp mind to catch the omission in the weekly mortality report by the cancer center. A university teaching hospital carries its own risk since it is the training ground for future physicians. When you have teaching oversight like this, leaving an inexperienced resident to give critical medications without any supervision on top of short staffing and long hours, it's the patients that will eventually get hurt.  When the system fails, it's all more important to not sweep mistakes under the rug.  We have to report these errors so we can learn and try to change to prevent the same mistakes from happening.  Seung-hyo's discovery force the oncologist to reveal a flaw in the system where his reporting was lost to follow up.  I am not sure if they are going to explore this error more in the upcoming episode but I am glad that the medication error issue got spotlighted here.  It's a common mistake that needed to be fixed in real life.  I'm glad Seung-hyo forces the oncologists to admit their fault.

In the same episode, we get to see the other side, the better way to handle mistakes by Jin-woo and his resident, Dr. Park.  Discharging the suicidal father prematurely without a psych consult lead to him hurting the cop that accompanied him home.  Dr. Park was very torn up about his mistake. Jin-woo shared his own mistake with the resident.  There's this phrase that struck fear in many doctors no matter how many times they are spoken.  "Do you remember that patient? He came back".  There was something the physician did that caused the patient to come back.  Did he make an error?  Jin-woo didn't necessarily think mistakes are bad since they keep physicians on their toes, forces them to take accountability for their actions.  Physicians need to be reminded that they are human thus admitting to mistakes keep them humble.  Remember their mistake and the patients that they hurt will keep them from going on hurting more carelessly.

The drama did such a good job presenting these points in the episode.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Caught up with all 4 episodes yesterday, this writer is really good. I didn't feel the same suspense as FOS but i think it's maybe because it lacks a focal point. In FOS it was the murder which set the wheels spinning. In Life it's also a death but it has a lot of side tracks, which makes harder to find a red thread. Surprisingly i wasn't bored though, it is very interesting and i enjoy Cho Seung-woo's role. I like Lee Dong‑wook too but maybe because i've seen him in many dramas, i have a hard time seeing him as doctor haha, it was the same with Lee Joon‑hyuk in FOS but after a few episodes it was okay :D 

I was wondering if Netflix is planning to release each episode after it aired on Mondays and Tuesdays from now on? Anybody knows? Now that i marathoned it, i'm dying to see the next one haha

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@ganko if you are in Asia, new episode will be aired a few hours after the live one in SK.

I know how you feel, the drama doesn’t focus on just the death/murder of LBH.  It’s similar to SF in that it tries to piece together what happened that night from multiple people who interacted with him in the past.  What LSY did different here is explore each character’s story more in depth as opposed to just use them as building blocks to solve the puzzle.  And we have a lot of characters... it drove me crazy trying to remember each person in white lab coat and scrub :lol: It didn’t help that we are in the ER a lot where chaos is the king so it added another level of disorientation.  Then you have to understand the medical jargons, hospital politics, corporate dealings.... even historical events like the Seosan pioneers... while taking in social commentary from characters big and small.

The characters are all shades in the spectrum from black to white.  You get a protagonist who has some emotional scarring from the get go between him and his brother.   A reluctant hero who hasn’t found his own footing or recovered from his mentor’s death.  An antagonist who is too charismatic and layered that you cannot bring yourself to hate.  A lot of side stories overlapping at the moment which makes things hazy.  I’m not lost but find myself not emotionally tied to any character or story until episode 4 where the drama started to drive home clearly a few messages. The first 3 episodes feel like exposition and layout for things to come.

I think LDW did his zombie ER doc character too well, I am sleepy just watching him move. lol JSW is so good with his micro facial expressions.  I can’t find myself hating him cuz he’s no cartoon villain.  WJA, she’s very pretty... my god, such healthy hair.  I envy.  LBH’s hospital director is apparently a nice man. I don’t believe his death is an accident but with LSY, know it can change quickly.  He does remind me a lot of my old professor, the special kind who leaves mark in each of his student’s life.  Many MDs, neurosurgeons, orthopedics, cardiothoracic, oncology are real snippets of people I know.  Hats off to the drama for a nice job here, including a good start on the residents and nurses.

Aww, they finished ahead of time.  Good. @triplem you didn’t have to worry :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@ganko if you are in Asia, new episode will be aired a few hours after the live one in SK.

Okay great! Then there will be english subs out somewhere on the internet haha~ :P

And yes i agree with the first 3 episodes is setting the background, i'm excited to see what's coming...so many characters yes, but i'm happy to see both focus on the doctors and nurses, the administrative level of the hospital too. So many contribute in different ways. I am a bit curious how the writer is so good with the setting the scenes! It can't be easy writing about hospital and prosecution with such vivid details. Very talanted~

• Like 3

I'm logging into Soompi after a long time. Life has forced me to make a comment here. The show is the best one of 2018. For me it is.

Here is episode 06 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FGS-MFqBo

I give 1st 2 weeks 8.5/10  That means i am highly enjoying this fierce and strong show. Director has done quite a good job here and i don't agree with some views that Life lacks in direction compared to the previous show of the writer.

But i do have Minor Complaints about direction.

1. Background Music is forcefully trying to build the serious and intense atmosphere. Music has great effect on human beings and highly influence them but here director+ sound director's intervention is not only underwhelming the whole situation and scene but also creating annoyance.  Advice to Director is stop trying to manufacture something grave out of something ordinary.

2. Life is a Medical drama and we have like 5 minutes of any medical stuff done in 4 hours 15minutes.. Some blood here and there surgeon outfits, glace into operation room and done. More medical acts needed here.

3. Director forcefully tried again and again to confuse the audience, to create a spectacle of something serious going on. Again -ve response from me.  All of it to build a mood of tension and doubt.

4. Heroine was here to promote that Yellow Liquid.

Ambiguity is the best part of this show. From relationships to profession.This is the type of show where you don't have caricature good vs. bad, hero vs. villain scenario. Here everyone has some dirt on their life resume. The show is more about how you acknowledge that dirt and how you motivate yourself to do better in future.

There is much to say about the show and characters but i don't have the capability to write long posts. Eagerly waiting for next episodes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, catocat said:

I'm logging into Soompi after a long time. Life has forced me to make a comment here. The show is the best one of 2018. For me it is.

Here is episode 06 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FGS-MFqBo

I give 1st 2 weeks 8.5/10  That means i am highly enjoying this fierce and strong show. Director has done quite a good job here and i don't agree with some views that Life lacks in direction compared to the previous show of the writer.

But i do have Minor Complaints about direction.

1. Background Music is forcefully trying to build the serious and intense atmosphere. Music has great effect on human beings and highly influence them but here director+ sound director's intervention is not only underwhelming the whole situation and scene but also creating annoyance.  Advice to Director is stop trying to manufacture something grave out of something ordinary. 

2. Life is a Medical drama and we have like 5 minutes of any medical stuff done in 4 hours 15minutes.. Some blood here and there surgeon outfits, glace into operation room and done. More medical acts needed here.

Edit. Yay. I forgot to put my comments.  tap enter too fast.

I was gonna quote that 7/24/2018 3:30 jongski said:

"Because it's the first thing I noticed. I don't like the BGM in scenes. Feels like scary horror thing. "

I wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that bgm for the scenes and then the camera angle with the upward motions  through the building.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, catocat said:

Ambiguity is the best part of this show. From relationships to profession.This is the type of show where you don't have caricature good vs. bad, hero vs. villain scenario. Here everyone has some dirt on their life resume. The show is more about how you acknowledge that dirt and how you motivate yourself to do better in future.

Love what you said here. I enjoy the first 4 episodes tho I do understand not everyone is the same so thus different response to the plotting while the drama is setting itself up.  I agree that the decision to overuse BGM as mise en scene is offputting and misplaced sometimes.  Hopefully, they will take viewers’ advice and tone down.  I think the cast has mentioned before that this is not a procedural medical drama so I expect it to focus more on addressing the overall health of the medical industry.  I’m ok with going the same or adding more technical and medical aspects to the drama.

I think Life will take the same route as SF as it is a wake up call to remind healthcare professionals of their true calling to help heal others.  In an ideal world, we would expect our physicians to be perfect, to not be swayed by personal needs and interests, to not fold to vices like greed, jealousy and pride, to deftly handle the emotional and physical tolls without fault or complaint.  The world of healthcare  is not immune to any problem that the world, you or I have. It currently has its own emergency; the problems will spiral out of control if we don’t do anything about it soon.  I hope Life can shed more light into the medical world, put out some interesting points and get us to thinking of solutions.  Get the dialogue going at least. :)

• Like 4