Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

Caught up with all 4 episodes yesterday, this writer is really good. I didn't feel the same suspense as FOS but i think it's maybe because it lacks a focal point. In FOS it was the murder which set the wheels spinning. In Life it's also a death but it has a lot of side tracks, which makes harder to find a red thread. Surprisingly i wasn't bored though, it is very interesting and i enjoy Cho Seung-woo's role. I like Lee Dong‑wook too but maybe because i've seen him in many dramas, i have a hard time seeing him as doctor haha, it was the same with Lee Joon‑hyuk in FOS but after a few episodes it was okay :D 

I was wondering if Netflix is planning to release each episode after it aired on Mondays and Tuesdays from now on? Anybody knows? Now that i marathoned it, i'm dying to see the next one haha

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18.08.06 Life's wrap up party. 

I like these pictures

8251eecely1fu05wygjmfj20by0fojs9.jpg

8251eecely1fu04xlwjdwj20f00iqgmn.jpg

8251eecely1fu04xmfsxoj20f00jpjst.jpg

Edited by rosenyoma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@ganko if you are in Asia, new episode will be aired a few hours after the live one in SK.

I know how you feel, the drama doesn’t focus on just the death/murder of LBH.  It’s similar to SF in that it tries to piece together what happened that night from multiple people who interacted with him in the past.  What LSY did different here is explore each character’s story more in depth as opposed to just use them as building blocks to solve the puzzle.  And we have a lot of characters... it drove me crazy trying to remember each person in white lab coat and scrub :lol: It didn’t help that we are in the ER a lot where chaos is the king so it added another level of disorientation.  Then you have to understand the medical jargons, hospital politics, corporate dealings.... even historical events like the Seosan pioneers... while taking in social commentary from characters big and small.

The characters are all shades in the spectrum from black to white.  You get a protagonist who has some emotional scarring from the get go between him and his brother.   A reluctant hero who hasn’t found his own footing or recovered from his mentor’s death.  An antagonist who is too charismatic and layered that you cannot bring yourself to hate.  A lot of side stories overlapping at the moment which makes things hazy.  I’m not lost but find myself not emotionally tied to any character or story until episode 4 where the drama started to drive home clearly a few messages. The first 3 episodes feel like exposition and layout for things to come.

I think LDW did his zombie ER doc character too well, I am sleepy just watching him move. lol JSW is so good with his micro facial expressions.  I can’t find myself hating him cuz he’s no cartoon villain.  WJA, she’s very pretty... my god, such healthy hair.  I envy.  LBH’s hospital director is apparently a nice man. I don’t believe his death is an accident but with LSY, know it can change quickly.  He does remind me a lot of my old professor, the special kind who leaves mark in each of his student’s life.  Many MDs, neurosurgeons, orthopedics, cardiothoracic, oncology are real snippets of people I know.  Hats off to the drama for a nice job here, including a good start on the residents and nurses.

Aww, they finished ahead of time.  Good. @triplem you didn’t have to worry :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@ganko if you are in Asia, new episode will be aired a few hours after the live one in SK.

Okay great! Then there will be english subs out somewhere on the internet haha~ :P

And yes i agree with the first 3 episodes is setting the background, i'm excited to see what's coming...so many characters yes, but i'm happy to see both focus on the doctors and nurses, the administrative level of the hospital too. So many contribute in different ways. I am a bit curious how the writer is so good with the setting the scenes! It can't be easy writing about hospital and prosecution with such vivid details. Very talanted~

• Like 4

I'm logging into Soompi after a long time. Life has forced me to make a comment here. The show is the best one of 2018. For me it is.

Here is episode 06 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FGS-MFqBo

I give 1st 2 weeks 8.5/10  That means i am highly enjoying this fierce and strong show. Director has done quite a good job here and i don't agree with some views that Life lacks in direction compared to the previous show of the writer.

But i do have Minor Complaints about direction.

1. Background Music is forcefully trying to build the serious and intense atmosphere. Music has great effect on human beings and highly influence them but here director+ sound director's intervention is not only underwhelming the whole situation and scene but also creating annoyance.  Advice to Director is stop trying to manufacture something grave out of something ordinary.

2. Life is a Medical drama and we have like 5 minutes of any medical stuff done in 4 hours 15minutes.. Some blood here and there surgeon outfits, glace into operation room and done. More medical acts needed here.

3. Director forcefully tried again and again to confuse the audience, to create a spectacle of something serious going on. Again -ve response from me.  All of it to build a mood of tension and doubt.

4. Heroine was here to promote that Yellow Liquid.

Ambiguity is the best part of this show. From relationships to profession.This is the type of show where you don't have caricature good vs. bad, hero vs. villain scenario. Here everyone has some dirt on their life resume. The show is more about how you acknowledge that dirt and how you motivate yourself to do better in future.

There is much to say about the show and characters but i don't have the capability to write long posts. Eagerly waiting for next episodes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, catocat said:

I'm logging into Soompi after a long time. Life has forced me to make a comment here. The show is the best one of 2018. For me it is.

Here is episode 06 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FGS-MFqBo

I give 1st 2 weeks 8.5/10  That means i am highly enjoying this fierce and strong show. Director has done quite a good job here and i don't agree with some views that Life lacks in direction compared to the previous show of the writer.

But i do have Minor Complaints about direction.

1. Background Music is forcefully trying to build the serious and intense atmosphere. Music has great effect on human beings and highly influence them but here director+ sound director's intervention is not only underwhelming the whole situation and scene but also creating annoyance.  Advice to Director is stop trying to manufacture something grave out of something ordinary. 

2. Life is a Medical drama and we have like 5 minutes of any medical stuff done in 4 hours 15minutes.. Some blood here and there surgeon outfits, glace into operation room and done. More medical acts needed here.

Edit. Yay. I forgot to put my comments.  tap enter too fast.

I was gonna quote that 7/24/2018 3:30 jongski said:

"Because it's the first thing I noticed. I don't like the BGM in scenes. Feels like scary horror thing. "

I wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that bgm for the scenes and then the camera angle with the upward motions  through the building.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, catocat said:

Ambiguity is the best part of this show. From relationships to profession.This is the type of show where you don't have caricature good vs. bad, hero vs. villain scenario. Here everyone has some dirt on their life resume. The show is more about how you acknowledge that dirt and how you motivate yourself to do better in future.

Love what you said here. I enjoy the first 4 episodes tho I do understand not everyone is the same so thus different response to the plotting while the drama is setting itself up.  I agree that the decision to overuse BGM as mise en scene is offputting and misplaced sometimes.  Hopefully, they will take viewers’ advice and tone down.  I think the cast has mentioned before that this is not a procedural medical drama so I expect it to focus more on addressing the overall health of the medical industry.  I’m ok with going the same or adding more technical and medical aspects to the drama.

I think Life will take the same route as SF as it is a wake up call to remind healthcare professionals of their true calling to help heal others.  In an ideal world, we would expect our physicians to be perfect, to not be swayed by personal needs and interests, to not fold to vices like greed, jealousy and pride, to deftly handle the emotional and physical tolls without fault or complaint.  The world of healthcare  is not immune to any problem that the world, you or I have. It currently has its own emergency; the problems will spiral out of control if we don’t do anything about it soon.  I hope Life can shed more light into the medical world, put out some interesting points and get us to thinking of solutions.  Get the dialogue going at least. :)

• Like 5

Love this drama. The complexity of the medical field.  Bought sides have a point and would have to come with a solution in the middle of the field.  Loving every episode. Well direct, the photography, music and acting on point. 

• Like 4

Finished episode 3 and I'm not hating it, not liking it so much either. I guess because its medical that the suspense and thrill that we all felt in FoS is gone. Also,  I had to look up the cast on the web to know what their character names are, kinda hard keeping up with such a wide cast hahaha (similar to FoS, had the same problem ahhaha). Hopefully gets better with episode 4 and gives me that feeling of wanting to much more.

• Like 4

@bedifferent I watched ep 1. I loved it and am so excited for next episode!

I like how the mystery element was presented within the first few minutes itself!! Like you are blindfolded and spun around :lol: This writer knows how to get and hold audience's attention! The tension brews slowly.

Will watch the next episode and come join you guys!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@roli @wanda77 episode 5 was good!

Sad that this thread is so quiet.  You are probably busy but I am sending out SOS, come join us :D  @maddymappo i know you have to catch up LoM :D

@staygold @aisling @bebebisous33 @stroppyse @Dhakra @celebrianna  

Haha. @bedifferent, I’m weird in that I’m squeamish about medical shows but not about bludgeoning in crime shows. I don’t understand it myself. However, reading the recent posts on this thread, it doesn’t sound like this drama has too many scenes that triggers my squeamish gut so I just have to find out where it’s streaming because I don’t believe I saw anything on DramaFever or Viki.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Haha. @bedifferent, I’m weird in that I’m squeamish about medical shows but not about bludgeoning in crime shows. I don’t understand it myself. However, reading the recent posts on this thread, it doesn’t sound like this drama has too many scenes that triggers my squeamish gut so I just have to find out where it’s streaming because I don’t believe I saw anything on DramaFever or Viki.

Netflix is the subber. But all the subbed sites will rip the subs from them soon (just google and it should pop up on some site somewhere :D )

@bedifferent Finale week for a couple of my dramas. Will join discussions once I start. 

Ratings is holding up:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, loopo said:

Finished episode 3 and I'm not hating it, not liking it so much either. I guess because its medical that the suspense and thrill that we all felt in FoS is gone. Also,  I had to look up the cast on the web to know what their character names are, kinda hard keeping up with such a wide cast hahaha (similar to FoS, had the same problem ahhaha). Hopefully gets better with episode 4 and gives me that feeling of wanting to much more.

Wait till you get to Ep 4... it finally hit me during that ep as the setup for the first 3 episodes fell into pieces. As @bedifferent mentioned, the drama is not touted as a medical procedural show aka House or Grey’s Anatomy. It’s basically office politics in a hospital setting where ideals, morals and business profits goals clash.  One thing to note for those who have watched SF, the writer has taken great pains this time to give the characters more depth, more backstory. Another reason for the slow start.

To be honest, it’s not easy to weave a story involving such heavy and complex topic. But the drama boasts talented cast with the likes of JSW, YJM, LDW and MSR who have managed to carry the story along very well so far. 

Take JSW : His character starts out to be an aggressive young upstart, ready to clean the slate and bulldoze corporate changes to the stuffy old and inefficient hospital practices. However, by ep 4, the story slowly peels away this outer layer to show us that he’s not that cold and heartless as one perceives him to be

LDW: He starts out the show as a responsible and upright Dr who looks up to Dr Lee the late hospital director like his own father. But his image of him was shattered after he stumbled upon dr lee’s embezzlement of hospital funds. This coupled with his sudden death and change in hospital management forced him to step out of his comfort zone and fight back. I guess some viewers might have felt that his acting was too stiff and stoic. Actually on hindsight, it was a deliberate move by LDW to show the character’s indifference and callousness to his environment and later to show the growth in his character as he tries to fight back against what he deems as unjust like how he spoke up in the first townhall. Also, he seems to be under immense emotional stress as he sees visions of his normal brother nudging him like his subconscious. This is similar to how it was after the unfortunate accident during his childhood.

YJM: Gosh, it’s really amazing to see how great an actor he is after watching him in SF and then now in Life. In SF, he was this commanding no nonsense chief prosecutor who plots his next moves meticulously. Now he gets bullied by his colleagues and is such a softie as he doesn’t turn away difficult cases. And when faced against JSW’s GSH,  he loses most of the time like a sad puppy.

Life is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but if you are patient enough, I believe it will be a rewarding and thought provoking journey 

• Like 6