[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

My thoughts regarding "Life" .

JSW character : first impression in being ruthless was from doctors point of view, because his assistant always seem comfortable, so he doesn't really changed in the meantime. Much of his actions must be read starting with " They need to know that their life /future is in my hands" and he knew beforehand at what to expect at the hospital from his college friend. Doctors are in their big majority as :

12 hours ago, Schiau said:

To me, the doctors come off as arrogant and seeking their own benefits, that look up for their social status than the real meaning of their job

and trust me, I know. Just yesterday a resident in my hospital ( and a good and hardworking one) entered in operation crying, because her superiors humiliated her ( somehow her team is the best one medical speaking and the worse one as human being) . One of them is female and I can compare her with Oh Se Hwa .

Best doctors don't really made great things for the patient but for their ambition to be the best in their field, and yes they consider themselves special from others, not really friends between them, and if you didn't come from a family of doctors... but common people, your life will not be as easy... so, so far the writer pointed everything.

When you are the type like Yoo Jae Myung, your colleagues, even those smaller than you and even you helped them many times coming long distance and at any hour when nobody responds at their phones (is here one like that) respect is far from received.

JSW character... my personal feeling is that he has bigger goals, not only regarding hospital, but Hwajeong group. I think his mind changed after seeing dr. Joo sleeping on the floor (this doesn't happen in real life, OR needs to be cleaned, disinfected, prepared in case of emergency) and the pediatric wards...maybe he was not rich during childhood...his mother slept on the floor like an old habit. 

Such a pleasure watching JSW's acting... never get enough.

Please excuse eventual mistakes regarding english. Nice day to you all.

• Like 8

Again good vibes from k nets 

Source

Life] Ep 5 Yoo Jae Myung's lines at the end touches hearts

life2.png
Article: Naver 'Life' Jo Seung Woo vs Yoo Jae Myung x Lee Dong Wook 

1. [+327,-53]
After watching this, it seems like it's not just Hong Jun Pyo's fault.. The scriptwriter kept reminding viewers that the doctors, Jo Seung Woo, no one is completely right, or wrong.. Hong Jun Pyo closed Jinju Medical Centre because the citizens wanted it.. That grandpa only followed the public sentiment and votes. The important thing is the gap between the majority of the citizens who felt that it is a waste of tax and the healthcare expenses of the minority who belongs to the lower income group. 

[t/n: This seem like a real life matter. More details can be found here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/05/113_136584.html]

2. [+218,-18]
Watching this feels like Hong Jun Pyo only heard what he wants to hear. From the 1st episode, the scriptwriter has pointed out a lot of problems. The medical bills, insurance, Shim Pyung Won (Health Insurance Review and Assessment), the doctors team, administration team, etc, none of them are good or evil. They all coexist together. No one is absolutely bad, and no one is absolutely kind. 

3. [+210,-10]
Why didn't you ask me about your mother?? (Jo Seung Woo's line). 

4. [+145,-18]
At the end of the episode today, Yoo Jae Myung's lines is the most.... wow ㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+52,-14]
Lee Dong Wook's acting is really good. ㅠㅠ

6. [+51,-16]
Chief Joo Kyung Moon's lines at the end of the episode... To be telling a story about hospital so well... this scriptwriter is really talented. At the paediatrics and NICU scene, seriously. Just the baby grabbing her finger was so touching... at the end, the Chief's lines was goosebump-inducing. ㅠ A budget of 0.025%... We should rethink about this topic again. 

7. [+37,-9]
Lee Dong Wook's delicate acting is really good.. His performance is really outstanding no matter what role he takes on. His appearance seem to bury his good acting skills; He gets more praises for his looks than acting.. which is a pity. Why did the scriptwriter create the character Ye Jin Woo..? 
Dramas should be led by the leads.. but I'm not sure about his role. 

8. [+46,-19]
Jo Seung Woo's acting is really good.. 

9. [+28,-3]
A daebak drama is born... Ye Jin Woo's teacher is really charming. 

43 minutes ago, wanda77 said:

maybe he was not rich during childhood...his mother slept on the floor like an old habit. 

It was mentioned in the second episode that GSH had been on a scholarship, and the stares he got from the rest of the men in the room were like, 'yeah, look at that lowly scum', so I'm pretty sure his family had been poor indeed. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@Dhakra  think you will like Voice 2's energy more.   Life is more introspective.  It's more about reality so not sure if you want to watch a drama about real life, most people want to escape it.  That said, I think it's a different kind of thriller and well written/acted.  I promise I won't write too many walls of texts here.  Come by. :lol: Watch this one and Voice 2, it's a good combo.

Well, you NOT writing wall of texts about something medical is rather a reason to not stay here. I like those, during Duel these were always very interesting. Honestly I like dramas about the real world or real life more than anything else. Probably also a reason why I loved Fairy and PNB so much. 

I guess I can squeeze in the first couple of episodes before Voice 2 starts. 

@bedifferent

All I can say is I miss Secret Forest's Bae-Doona.  She was lovable but far from being a push-over.  No-Eul I think is a more feminine character; she's supposed to project this sweet nurturing personality to enable her to work with children and parents. As a resident, she still gets work dumped on.   I think she can learn to be stronger, we don't know what kind of surprises the writer have in store for this female lead.  I did like the little night "date" she has with Seung-Hyo, showing him the department that he was going to transfer out.  Those prematured babies in the NICU got to him.  He ran out of there as fast as he could.  Next thing you know, guy came home and wanted to snuggle with his mom!  

I miss Bae DooNa too, especially the personality of her character. She was a female lead that actually did something more than crying or trying to be cute. I do not think you have to befeminine to work with parents and children, more over since the job of a doctor does not involve behaviour but skills. What I dislike about her is the fact that what defines her is not what she can do or seeing her actually treating patients, but acting as a crush for other male characters; and by treating patients not just making a kid laugh.She has so many patients, but she has time to wander around the hospital and take the presidents to a tour...

I have to like her because she is beautiful? Hell no, if she has no interesting background or if she does not have any hidden layer to stirr my interest, no thanks. More over, the actress does not have anything outstanding, her acting is plain. Compare her to Seo HyunJin or Moon Chae Won, whom were both leads in a medical drama, for example.

@ganko

In contrast to Oh Se-Hwa, i think No-Eul is more open-minded. From the preview for episode 7, it seems her values will be tested. I hope we can get to know them more as the drama progresses. Right now i think Oh Se-Hwa is too flat as a character, just seem to glare all the time. I was happy the president told her off. 

I was not talking about Oh Se Hwa, but about Lee Sang Hee - the nurse from EM. I've seen the actress in another drama and her skills are better that "NoEul"" actress. I do not even care about Oh Se Hwa's character, the nurse caught my attention more than those two, not because I recogneized the actress, but because her character was interesting from the beginning. 

The NoEul girl complains she has more patients, but we never saw her dealing with the stress the EM nurse had.We actually saw the nurse treating a patient, under stress conditions. She stood up for her rights from the first "staff meeting" and actually has something to stand for", except from being the protagonist's crush or being "the pretty lady everybody likes". I like she is realistic. 

Good for NoEul for being  open minded when she has no principles to defend, no other that being the "girl-next-door"type. Until she goes through the stress we've seen the nurse go or standing up to defend her rights, just to be denied...i'M WAITING.

@wanda77

JSW character... my personal feeling is that he has bigger goals, not only regarding hospital, but Hwajeong group. I think his mind changed after seeing dr. Joo sleeping on the floor (this doesn't happen in real life, OR needs to be cleaned, disinfected, prepared in case of emergency) and the pediatric wards...maybe he was not rich during childhood...his mother slept on the floor like an old habit. 

Such a pleasure watching JSW's acting... never get enough.

Please excuse eventual mistakes regarding english. Nice day to you all.

I like your analysis, did not think so deep about things. If that proves to be true, him being poor and his mother...

Makes me like his character even more.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 3:45 AM, bedifferent said:

@roli @wanda77 episode 5 was good!

Sad that this thread is so quiet.  You are probably busy but I am sending out SOS, come join us :D  @maddymappo i know you have to catch up LoM :D

@staygold @aisling @bebebisous33 @stroppyse @Dhakra @celebrianna  

I am away from home, but will tune in as soon as I get the chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Dhakra I will try to hide my long comments in spoiler tag.  Looking forward to your always thought provoking comments. 

10 hours ago, triplem said:

After watching this, it seems like it's not just Hong Jun Pyo's fault.. The scriptwriter kept reminding viewers that the doctors, Jo Seung Woo, no one is completely right, or wrong.. Hong Jun Pyo closed Jinju Medical Centre because the citizens wanted it.. That grandpa only followed the public sentiment and votes. The important thing is the gap between the majority of the citizens who felt that it is a waste of tax and the healthcare expenses of the minority who belongs to the lower income group. 

[t/n: This seem like a real life matter. More details can be found here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/05/113_136584.html]

2. [+218,-18]
Watching this feels like Hong Jun Pyo only heard what he wants to hear. From the 1st episode, the scriptwriter has pointed out a lot of problems. The medical bills, insurance, Shim Pyung Won (Health Insurance Review and Assessment), the doctors team, administration team, etc, none of them are good or evil. They all coexist together. No one is absolutely bad, and no one is absolutely kind. 

Thanks for the link!   Real life hospital closure.  Really interesting comments.  You get a polician who decided to close a public hospital to stop money hemorrhaging public funds on staff salaries who don’t serve enough patients to justify their presence.  You also hear about union hospital staff members who fired back claiming their salaries reflect the needed level of care as opposed to the overpayed public officials.  Then there are commenters who suggested public officials are just carrying the voters’ sentiments who don’t want to put their tax money for the small group of society who cannot afford insurance.  Who is the evil party here?  It’s a complicated problem.

11 hours ago, wanda77 said:

JSW character : first impression in being ruthless was from doctors point of view, because his assistant always seem comfortable, so he doesn't really changed in the meantime. Much of his actions must be read starting with " They need to know that their life /future is in my hands" and he knew beforehand at what to expect  

JSW character... my personal feeling is that he has bigger goals, not only regarding hospital, but Hwajeong group.

I agree, he must be a tolerant person and a cool prickly boss.  They’re like an old married couple, she keeps it real for him.  His loyalty to Hwajeong group is not absolute.   His success is not from him insisting on his own way I believe.  When the CEO insists on having the hospital pay for the new relocated building, Seong-Hyu replied back that the company should pick up the tab. His willingness to be flexible and learn on the job suggests that he is a good negotiator tho he likes to establish who’s the boss first.  We already know he has some conscience when he negotiated the land deal.

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@bedifferent I have to say that this medical drama is totally different from what I expected.

Honestly, to me the real villain of this show seems to be the deputy director Kim Tae Sang. The more episodes we get, the more obvious it becomes that KTS has always aimed at the Hospital director seat. He made sure to start the strike in order to have the support from the medical staff, yet from the start he was never interested in their interests. 

The fact that he told to the Cancer center director that he needed to be as close as possible to Mr. Gu in order to push him aside made me think of the event that happened to the former Hospital director Lee Bu Hoon. I really have the impression that he used the change of the president in order to get rid of his "opponent". When he pointed out the time LBH was acting as director, you could sense that the 11 years were a long time for KTS. 

Strangely, I am rooting more and more for Mr. Gu because unlike the majority of the doctors, he seems to be more open-minded. YJW is biased towards Gu, however he seems to have forgotten how KTS lied and manipulated the staff with his lie. I hope, Dr. Yoo will become a candidate for that hospital director seat.  

Ohhh, me too.  I can’t put my thoughts down.  Why and how do you think it’s different from your usual medical drama? 

Deputy director Kim is playing both sides for his personal ambition.  Mr Goo is an outsider who is a shoe- in for the baddie, even if he didn’t come with this controversial solution to reduce budget and loss.  It’s in Dr. Kim interest to play out the scenarios to his benefits so he can eliminate his enemies using Mr Goo.  

12 hours ago, ganko said:

Yes, i'm also very curious about that! Could she have been a patient or relative to someone who stayed at the hospital? She didn't seem fazed getting blood on her shoes which makes me wonder if she is somehow familiar with it, but just a far-fetched guess :) 

Yes, it didn't occur to me until episode 6 so might be far-fetched too haha. Jin-Woo seems quite interested in the reporter too. I think it was how episode 6 ended that prompted those thoughts, but then again, episode 3 ending was a bit out of context too haha...I do think they have more of a sister-brother relationship/friendship. Probably just Jin-Woo being protective. And with the constant calling, it must be a bit difficult to even think about dating :P

I enjoy the female lead but i can also understand your thoughts @Schiau In contrast to Oh Se-Hwa, i think No-Eul is more open-minded. From the preview for episode 7, it seems her values will be tested. I hope we can get to know them more as the drama progresses. Right now i think Oh Se-Hwa is too flat as a character, just seem to glare all the time. I was happy the president told her off.

Neurosurgeon Oh Se-Hwa has the elite attitude that unfortunately plagued a lot of these highly skilled neurosurgeons.  There is a hierachy with the neuro and ortho surgeons at the top of the food chain.  They are usually the brightest, not necessarily the nicest people.  For a woman to get to her position, it takes a lot of hard work, schooling, sacrifices.  I don’t know if the job changed the woman in Dr. Oh’s case.  She does seem like she doesn’t have the best bedside manner either.  I don’t know if this is a deliberate characterization on the writer’s part to show her growth by the end of the drama.  I know it is possible and have seen nice skilled good female physicians.

@Schiau Points taken. :)  I  think pediatrician No-Eul is there to provide contrast against the neurosurgeon since the younger woman is more personable though she is not as skilled.  While she was called for a pt with fever, she ordered Tylenol without examining the pt at bedside.  That was handled too lightly, what if the pt has a serious infection that she overlooked by just masking the fever with med?  No-Eul has great bedside manner toward her pts.  She cares though is staying pretty much removed from the situation. It’s like she doesn’t want to be involved.  We see her reading newspaper articles about the lack of pediatricians in the rural areas yet she is not willing to make the sacrifice personally and move there.  She understands where Mr. Goo is coming from yet choose to remain silent in the theater.  I am hoping she will change to be more active eventually.

• Like 7

==spoiler ep.6==

]medi.png

In DRAMA

[Life] Ep 6 Jo Seung Woo x Won Jin Ah x Lee Dong Wook, a sudden triangle love forms?

Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Article: Naver 'Life' Jo Seung Woo vs Moon So Ri, conflict over pharmaceutical business

1. [+91,-0]
Jo Seung Woo was so cool when he shouted.. Anyway, I think the medical device that Moon So Ri saw was bought by Jo Seung Woo.

2. [+45,-0]
This clearly shows the ugly reality of doctors thinking that they are high and mighty. I can totally understand what Jo Seung Woo is saying. People who have gone to a University Hospital would know. The Professors just do whatever they want. They don't see patients as patients, but as low class people. Their attitude has to change. Like what Goo Seung Hyo says, they're just people who get paid for their work. 

3. [+26,-2]
A very well-made drama. It's almost like the scriptwriter used to work in the medical world. She did Stranger too, she's a talented scriptwriter. 

4. [+11,-0]
I like hearing Jo Seung Woo's voice. 

5. [+8,-1]
The character Moon Seo Ri is the most worst. She was making so much noise about being reasonable and having conscience, but she doesn't sound reasonable or conscientious at all. Not sure why she is so confident. It's true that the doctors in SK are all that way. 

6. [+8,-5]
Don't take your oaths. You doctors who don't know anything else other than money. 

7. [+1,-1]
A love line all of a sudden. 

cr

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

[SPOILERS!!!][Life Roundup] Episode 5 + 6

Spoiler

2018080801000546900037941_20180807065022139.jpg
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-08-09%2Bat%2B12.01.31%2BAM.png
Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): 'Life' Looking forward to Cho Seung Woo's transformation

1. [+564, -4] Cho Seung Woo-nim you can trust to watch. 

2. [+347, -8] Seriously Cho Seung Woo, his acting is really can you say, realistic.. He just really seems like that person (the role) ㅇㅇ That means he's good at acting, right? I can't express it through words ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
↪ [+47, -0] In both 'Inside Men' and 'Secret Forest', he played the role of a prosecutor but they're completely different characters and even this time, it's a completely different character.. He's an acting genius, he filmed 'Tazza' when he was 26 years old - that says everything 

3. [+273, -7] Seriously everyone is good at acting and the story is awesome but...while watching, my heart feels too uncomfortable. The reality of our medical service is like that. I'm an ordinary person who doesn't know anything but if I die like that, there's a chance no one will know. I keep thinking that ㅠㅠ

4. [+182, -7] 'Secret Forest' combo acting gods Cho Seung Woo and Yoo Jae Myung, I really like their difficult roles and delicate emotional acting 

5. [+101, -8] If Cho Seung Woo comes out then I watch, done.   

201808081107179157300_20180808110809_01_20180808111051603.jpg?type=w540
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-08-09%2Bat%2B12.15.28%2BAM.png
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-08-09%2Bat%2B12.15.22%2BAM.png

1. [+730, -6] Cho Seung Woo isn't good or bad, he's just reality itself.

2. [+342, -6] Moon So Ri didn't say anything wrong but Cho Seung Woo's rebuttals weren't wrong either

3. [+213, -6] The most fun to watch drama these days~ As expected of Cho Seung Woo

4. [+173, -2] If it was scheduled to air at 10PM then its ratings and popularity would've been higher ㅠㅠㅠ It's perfect except for it airing late at night, it's a drama you look more and more forward to!!

5. [+102, -1] The subject they handle is a bit scary but I think they made the topics that are completely possible of occurring in our lives into a drama. I'm having quite a fun time watching it. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, annagriss8 said:

have you ever come across any "Greek God" like doctors in your workplace?

Not quite. In school days was one, but retired and turned into a business man.

12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

For a woman to get to her position, it takes a lot of hard work, schooling, sacrifices

For a woman is hard even in medical field, especially in fields involving surgery, men have the habit of minimizing their recognition, advancing into a driving position is hard to get. 

18 hours ago, Schiau said:

about Lee Sang Hee - the nurse from EM

My feelings regarding her... personal problems/drug (hospital meds) addiction ? This problem still exist.. unfortunately...even suicide or attempted suicide with meds from workplace.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, AlexandraReid said:

[Life] Ep 6 Jo Seung Woo x Won Jin Ah x Lee Dong Wook, a sudden triangle love forms?

Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2018

7. [+1,-1]
A love line all of a sudden. 

Me like :D haha

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I caught up with ep 6 today and there is not one boring moment in this series. Every single character is layered and well written. I am especially intrigued by Ye Sun Woo because so little has been said about him. Did he study to be a doctor and then join the government/insurance ofc? I am confused regarding his profession. Thrilled to see him in next week's preview. 

I love the stark difference Mama Ye and her two sons. Her sons seem to carry so much guilt and sadness. I am sure Mama Ye has suffered too and smiling n joking is her way of dealing with sorrow.

The standoff between President Gu and chief OSH is fresh in memory. Chief OSH comes from a privileged background (am I right: her mother funded one of the facilities in the hospital?) and she kept saying peddling medicine to patients makes her feel ashamed. I now understand a bit better what Dr LNE meant about clannism and ego issues between new and old doctors.

Can't wait to see President, Dr Ye, Dr, Yoo and Dr Lee get on the same side. Preferably take down the Hwajeong grp chairman!! What a crooked man that guy is!

Another favorite moment was the President's meet with the health minister's parents. Such a poignant story about having to part with something so precious just because their son might be seen in bad light. Their son being ashamed about his father and grandfather being Seosan pioneers. 

My only negative about the series is the use of dramatic background music in certain scenes. I wish they had reconsidered it. It is of course a minor complaint and doesn't spoil my enjoyment of this show.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, staygold said:

My only negative about the series is the use of dramatic background music in certain scenes. I wish they had reconsidered it. It is of course a minor complaint and doesn't spoil my enjoyment of this show.

Kkkkkkk ....makes it like a soap opera! But yeah not a deal breaker. Thankfully I am able to tune out when busy trying to read the subs & watch their expressions 

@bedifferent I finally caught up with the first two episodes & was very surprised by how engaging it was. I am not a big fan of corporate politics especially hospital related ones but it’s the way that the story is told that ensures that I don’t tune out. It helped that they started off with a murder mystery ( haha my Secret Forest feels came back for a moment) . So did the Director really die from natural causes ? Though they say it was a heart attack, did someone push him ? It seems YJW has great love & respect for his mentor , so why did this man embezzle Hospital funds? A lot of secrets to be uncovered here.

They got the casting right - I can already sense the dynamics between President Goo , Dr YJW and and Dr JKM. It will be a very interesting battle of wits between them - Can the doctors save the departments from being transferred or not especially against a management that prioritises cutting loses over saving lives ? 

I also found it really interesting that Dr Ye often sees his brother as a voice of conscience. I Am curious to know why that’s the case . Is YJW guilty of something? Is the brother’s condition caused by YJW? Is this a mental condition?  It’s clear to me that the brothers are close. Love that casted Lee Kyu Hyung here. And Lee Dong Wook plays this tortured soul perfectly.

President Goo is conniving and very slick  .  I can see why he is so successful at such a young age. He engineered the whole transfer of the loss making departments to make it look like they were serving the rural areas . He subtly  blackmailed the Deputy President into agreeing by saying that he could be implicated for the directors death . He turned the tables on the doctors & Nurses at the meeting by questioning their convictions about really serving the underserved . JSW is a delight to watch - what  a complete departure from his previous role ! 

Anyway will try to catch up with the rest of the episodes this week 

Edited by Guest

Ha, I just finished episode 6 subbed.  Has to take back a lot of what I wrote earlier :lol:

Have lots on mind but no time to post... be back later.  Episode 6 is the turning point for me usually when gauging a drama, it is on for me.  This drama is well written and I am hooked.

@triplem @staygold love your posts, thanks for stopping by.  It's Secret Forest once again for us. :D

@Dhakra don't know if you have started, JSW and his mind... you'll like it.   You know...  Games of Thrones, Whisper... that kind of plotting.  

• Like 2

@staygold The writing was so amazing for the Seosan scene and Dr. Joo's mortality conference speech.  The last writer that I saw doing this kind of social commentary was Park Kyung-Soo.

I find the Ye brothers relationship walled in by guilt from both sides.  It's hard to watch these two grown men not able to have an independent life apart from each other.  For better or worse, Jin-Woo takes upon himself to be his brother's caretaker.  We see Sun-Woo more than able to move around the apartment on his own.  He has a job, not only be highly functional and mobile, but also able to deal with his physical handicap quite well.  When he is around Jin-woo, you can see he appreciates the help but feels slightly suffocated by his brother's thoughtfulness. He can shut his own door, thank you very much.  I feel bad for Jin-Woo having to imagine a beta cool intelligent version of Sun-woo for guidance and comfort. At one point, I was actually fine with Jin-Woo getting transferred to a rural area so that he can break the guilt to live his life.  This whatever puppy love toward No-Eul shows how much Jin-Woo steps back for his brother. I do love the fact that it was Sun-Woo who broke the news of the misdirected fund for Jin-Woo.  They have each other's back even if they can't genuinely and openly show their love.

What do you think?  Did Episode 6 reveal that Sun-Woo could be working with Joo Kyung-mun to possibly uncover insurance fraud?

Sun-Woo works for the Health Insurance Review Agency (HIRA).  He reviews all claims and process reimbursements to hospitals/clinics that provided these services to the patients.  I also looked into how this whole process works.  Let's see... really simplified.

Spoiler

Everyone in SK pays a premium via work to be insured under a National Health Insurance Program (there's no private insurance).  As pts, they will have a predetermined copay whenever they visit a healthcare provider.  The premium that they pay through work is a shared 50:50 between the patient and his/her employer.  This premium is 1/3 of the fund going into the National Health Insurance Program.  Government subsidies and tobacco taxes make up the other 2/3 of the fund.  This is the pot that pays the hospitals, doctors, healthcare services that the patients use.  Every worker is insured and their needs are taken care of.

Beside this national insurance program for the employed, there's also a Medical Aid program that helps fund the lower income households, those with chronic debilitating diseases and esp children.  There (unemployed) citizens do not/cannot afford to join the National Health Insurance Program.  The local and national government share the responsibilities in funding this Medical Aid Program.  Lately, the program has run out of money so the government has been using money from the National Health Insurance Program to partially support it.  (Here is the core of the dispute among taxpayers and voters.  Why is the government using their money to pay for someone else's care?) There are several more insurance programs for other populations but so far, the drama has been talking about just these two.  Everyone is asking for some sort of insurance reform, drama has good timing here.

https://www.med.or.jp/english/journal/pdf/2009_03/206_209.pdf

17 hours ago, wanda77 said:

For a woman is hard even in medical field, especially in fields involving surgery, men have the habit of minimizing their recognition, advancing into a driving position is hard to get. 

Chief Oh's mother donated money to build the speech therapy center to the university hospital.  How much did this influence her career?  Did she rise to the position on her own merit?  It's truly rare to see a female MD in this specialty, the reality is those who are there have to play the politics well to be accepted.  Times are slowly changing but not fast enough.  I was hoping she became Chief based on her abilities.

Car scene with Dr.Joo, Lee and Ye was one of my favorites. No-Eul claiming that they are not different than President Goo since they also look at numbers in payments when dealing with patients. That's true!  She also said the president can be one to cast the stone since he didn't err on the patients.  Yup, I agree.  There's reality setting in as the doctors realize that if they stop him, the status quo will remain so.  They don't trust the president and they don't have a choice.  Things have to change.  On a lighter note, how Dr.Joo settled the sis-sis/bro-bro arguments is a brilliant way to compliment a pretty lady.

@triplem it gets better, keep watching.  Don't want to spoil for you so replying lightly here.

Things are not what they appear.  Jin-Woo initially feels betrayed by his mentor.  The death forces him to do something, anything, to save himself and possibly clear LBH's name.  He's starting to wake up.

Yes, president Goo's mind is pretty twisted.  He's manipulating the health insurance scene so that all roads and money flow back to the company.  

This diagram tells all.  Go back to it once you have finished episode 6.

Screenshot 2018-08-09 18.10.19

I understand why the role was offered to JSW. Mr Goo is a character that straddles evil and good.  It's to the drama's benefits that JSW just came off playing a righteous prosecutor in SF.   My mind believes  that he does have a good side to him.  Call me crazy, I still see him as ShiMok.  :lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

What do you think?  Did Episode 6 reveal that Sun-Woo could be working with Joo Kyung-mun to possibly uncover insurance fraud?

Dr Joo knows a lot more than most people in the hospital. I won't be surprised if he has teamed up with Sun woo to check on the fund transfers in late director's account. I have great respect for Dr Joo's character because he stays on in the system knowing it is flawed. He walks into the OT knowing his chances of success are low. There is so much dedication. His juniors are angry at him. His nurses are asking ER not to send him patients. 

Dr Ye seems to be the sort of person who wants to take on burdens of the others. He n Sun woo are discussing how fiercely they protected their single mother from her potential suitors. I think somewhere Sun Woo realized how stifling this over protectiveness can get. Dr Ye hasn't come to terms with this yet. He is still there picking dropped remotes for his brother. He is still there protecting (according to him) Dr LNE at the animal center! Dr Ye I feel has self imposed restrictions on his life. I was so sad to see how much he is conflicted when he meets the pretty newsreader/journalist! The first thing he sees is his brother confirming his thoughts! 'Isnt she pretty!' Dr Ye needs to overcome so many conflicts! 

Yes, president Goo's mind is pretty twisted. 

I actually don't see much of Han Shimok in President Goo. President's mind is well trained in reading the situation and bringing in solutions. I am particularly taken aback when he introduced the RFID system and when he asked the right questions at the mortality conf. Like I said earlier I believe his heart is in the right place. He just needs some more time to see what a hospital is.

Also, I am thankful to the writer that she gave enough opportunity to JSW to keep flashing his precious smile!!!

@bedifferent That info abt SK's insurance program helps me get a clearer picture. Thanks for sharing!

@annagriss8 Seeing JSW joke around in BTS makes me feel how confident he is in his craft. There is no tension at all!!

• Like 6