[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

@bedifferent  ha ha Mr. President haha - every time Dr. NE said something to him, he is awkwardly cute. He never has this kind of cute personality with anybody else - even with his mother, he has that poker face ha ha ha. I can't wait to watch the scene tonight.:D

@ganko what a cute disappointment, me too...was waiting for their cute moment - hopefully, preview tonight won't troll us..lol!.

Seeing Jin Woo suddenly turned sad said after looking so happy with the reporter make me all sympathy to both him and his brother. Unless Dr. NE will end up with Seon Woo, then only we can see Jin Woo will have that happy face again..but noooo I want Dr. NE to end up with lonely Mr. President. He deserves happiness too. Afterall nobody on his side now except Ms. Kang.... but definitely strictly working partner!. 

On 8/19/2018 at 1:06 AM, bedifferent said:

and @Jusyed god, so many ships. I forever ship Nighty with assistant Kyung-A :lol:  It's not meant to be with No-Eul because she is not the right ship.  I just hope no hating on WJA in episode 9.  It is what it is when it comes to the heart.  No worries for Seon-woo.  His future GF will be unassuming with the same quiet grace as him.

No No I do not ship Mr. Gu with his Ms. Kang hehehe. I ship them only and strictly for work lol!. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

@Jusyed  I love Ms Kang.  Simple as that. She reminds me a lotttt of Bae Doona’s character in Secret Forest!  She can see a troubled soul miles away and say the right thing at the right moment.  

I only just watched the first 15min... what a wonderful show! LDW is a revelation :)

@triplem ship sailed for Jin-woo.  This drama is very much like Live in how real the characters are.  Lee Kyu Hyung is heartbreakingly good. 

• Like 5

Ok, ep 9 was a bit of a speed breaker for me. Compared to the early 3-4 episodes the the intensity of the situation has watered down. 

YSW is my fav character again this episode. He is doing what he has to do, digging through records, confessing to Dr. LNE, giving President as much time as he can give. He is playing within the rules given to him without expecting anything. I keeps snapping but we haven't seen his full depth yet. I am expecting a big scene with him and Dr YJW.

Dr KTS was marked to go down. I loved his last ditch blackmail effort with President! Good try doctor but no match for the boss. 

Dr Joo - I feel for him. He is a good man but he is not shrewd enough to play the politics game. This is precisely why the hospital needs the President if Dr Joo needs to be its director. The episode high for me was Dr Joo - President scene in the end. That was a mean move.

Things I couldn't understand - ER doctors wear bulky wrist watches? Can a junior doctor know what pill was swallowed looking at the half digested bit in vomit?

Looking forward to seeing Dr LSY getting his due and Dr LNE getting some more patients.

ps: I think President is going to show Dr LNE the photos of the adopted dog in the preview. My ships have been left in dockyard. I am not getting played by the writer. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 10

On 8/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, triplem said:

Just wanted to  say something about No Eul’s characterisation. I like her . While some may perceive her character here as nothing but eye candy or plot device perhaps, I like her openness to change & her unprejudiced ways of looking at things. She’s already had an effect on Goo whether he realises it or not . She is highlighting to him whether consciously or not that this business is not just about the numbers but it is also about heart. As this is not a procedural drama , very little scenes will be dedicated to her treating patients etc. especially with a large cast such as this & with the hospital politics at the core of the story . So far i am able to see that she’s committed to her job , loves her patients , and has a gentle or caring way of dealing with people. This is my first time seeing this actress. While perhaps being a newbie in the industry ( I know she had her big break in JTBC’s Just Between Lovers), WJA may seem slightly inexperienced compared to giants such as JSW & LDW, I feel she’s been able to hold her own. 

@triplem 

(sorry for cuting your post) THANK YOU so  much for this post.
After this post, I have every clear about No Eul’s characterisation and I now have no fear to like her more and more,  I can.

Looking forward to here from you on EP09.  

47 minutes ago, staygold said:

YSW is my fav character again this episode. He is doing what he has to do, digging through records, confessing to Dr. LNE, giving President as much time as he can give. He is playing within the rules given to him without expecting anything. I keeps snapping but we haven't seen his full depth yet. I am expecting a big scene with him and Dr YJW.

@staygold

YES YES
and scene when he in secretary car, his face to window, and that song, and tear ... heartbreak

So Exciting for tonight episode
and I will not believe in the preview again.

• Like 6

life.png

In DRAMA

[Life] Ep 9 Jo Seung Woo affects Yoo Jae Myung's chance to become a Director

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Article: Naver 'Life' Lee Dong Wook motivates Yoo Jae Myung "Please become our Director." 

• Kim Tae Sang (Moon Sung Geun) is not allowed to do any more surgeries, etc. And has to apologize to the patients. 
  • Ye Jin Woo (Lee Dong Wook) asks Joo Kyung Moon (Yoo Jae Myung) to become the Director of the hospital. 
  • Right before the final voting, Gu Seung Hyo (Jo Seung Woo) talks to Joo Kyung Moon in front of everyone, letting everyone know that Joo Kyung Moon wanted to quit in the first place. 

1. [+117,-2]
Jo Seung Woo was annoying at the end...... 

2. [+66,-2]
Not anyone can be a President. Look at him leaving something crucial in changing people's minds right before the voting. 

3. [+59,-1]
When Jo Seung Woo showed his anger at Moon Seung Gun, I was startled. It was so different from how he care for his dog at home. 

4. [+49,-2]
When you grow fond of him, he stabs you in the back. President Gu Seung Hyo. 

5. [+19,-0]
I hope Professor Jo still becomes a Director despite all that. 

6. [+16,-0]
Wow, before the voting, Jo Seung Woo seriously.... 

7. [+14,-0]
Why did Gu Seung Hyo do that? That was annoying but charismatic. He's cool. 

8. [+14,-0]
As expected, the previews were just baits. 

cr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, staygold said:

ps: I think President is going to show Dr LNE the photos of the adopted dog in the preview. My ships have been left in dockyard. I am not getting played by the writer. :sweatingbullets:

I also like SW a lot, loved the interactions with president's assistent. I was swayed by his honesty to confess to NE, i can understand how he really wants to be seen as a man and that he hoped it would go away. But i do think he deserves someone who really loves all of him, i'm not sure NE could be all that. The tricky part is to be patient and have faith that someone could come along. I noticed in the preview there something going on with Dr Joo and him. Maybe something doing something experimental? I'm curious to see what happens.

Yes, i have the same feeling as you right now. I don't want to get my hopes up. I enjoy the show as it is but i love their interactions. I didn't imagine them together, but seems so natural now. There is a little spark in their eyes when they talk, same with Jin-Woo and the reporter. Heartbreaking to see Jin-Woo smile at the date but suddenly realise his predicament. 

All the actors are really doing a great job~ Look forward to episode 10 :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, annagriss8 said:

The president's wrath! :heart:

^
^
WRATH! :lol:

I didn't see it coming :sweatingbullets:

Can anyone please explain to this scene?
Why dr. LNE (vs. camera) focusing at JSW's feet after his confessing  to her.
What is meaning by this.

• Like 4

Ehhh, a few points before I zzz.  Like the twist and turn in this episode.  Flashbacks, non linear timeline are writer LSY's signature.  This is why I fell in love with her writing.  Good job by everyone involved.

• per @annagriss8's request, ruthless president Goo is back!
  • I feel for Dr. Joo's conflicts but a leader has to want to step forward on his own.  And stay there.
  • You don't become powerful by being nice.  You need to abuse people below you and instill fear.  Sometimes, conflicts can only be resolved with a heavy hand.  It takes courage and guts to confront issues when they are unpopular.  Can president Goo share his secrets to our hospital chiefs?
  • Never trust a man in a three piece suit.  He holds everything tight and close.
  • I jumped when smexy JSW balked!  
  • Nighty's leg is fixed.  
  • Jin-woo's born to be a healer and a teacher.  I love his parting moments with the oncology chief resident Dr.Lee.   Learning goes on, one mistake doesn't define the doctor that he can become but remembering it will make him a better person.  Leave the place knowing you put in the effort and made the sacrifices.  
  • Jin-woo kept LBH's ideal spirit alive.   Changing times maketh changing physicians.  What will become of their values if no one like Dr. Ye and Joo around?  What will become of the patients?
  • LDW does clumsy dates really well.  I want to hug him. Though still shadowed by his guilt for Seon-woo, Jin-woo took a big step toward outside without his brother.  Yet when he's ready to live his life, Seon-woo's heartbreak may hold him back a little more.  
  • The women in this drama are refreshingly forward in confessing and dating.  LOL  Way to go for 21st century girls and boys.  
  • Dr. Oh's elitist mentality is going to marginalize her staff and patients. She will live for the top 10 lists.  This is definitely not working for the greater good of mankind or anything.
  • Seon-woo's more courageous for staying in the boundaries and in the light.  He is unassuming and underappreciated to many except Ms Kang and her boss.  How the former treats him is the stuffs No-Eul needs to see.
  • I really like how the writer have No-Eul reexamine her own personal values and prejudice toward Seon-woo.  Her reactions were very real.  How she glanced at his legs and made Seon-woo felt more conscious of his disability, life and limitations has just made her more relatable for me now.  She killed him with her silence.  OK, I admit, I hate her a little there. LOL
  • To make it up, No-Eul is onto Seo-woo's secret.  Preview shows she is visiting Dr. Joo's office.
  • Lee Kyu Hyung and Yum Hye-Ran is my new ship!
  • Goo Seung-Hyo - you sure have a target on your back. You broke Jin-woo's heart and made an enemy for life. :lol:  Don't try to get to his brother.  He's going to choke hold you.
  • That last scene.  Amazinngggg.

@staygold hahaha. Trolls, ship anchored for now?

Can anyone please explain to this scene?
Why dr. LNE (vs. camera) focusing at JSW's feet after his confessing  to her.
What is meaning by this.

@piekeboeboe think she was just averting her gaze cause she was speechless although in previous scenes, she helped him out with the shoes.  So you can read either as she froze or her mind instantly went to his disability.  Not sure how others interpret this @bebebisous33 @staygold? There's def guilt in the aftermath so I am interested in seeing how their next encounter going to be.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@bedifferent About NE: I guess, his love confession took her by surprise hence she was left speechless and she definitely made a mistake by looking at his legs. However, I can understand why she didn't say anything right away. First of all, SW didn't give her enough time to answer, by her silence he decided to leave the room very quickly. Then we shouldn't forget that when she met SW for the first time, she addressed him as JW's brother. That's why she was nice to him. She definitely considers JW as a brother therefore she treated his brother the same way. Yet, his disability is a problem but we should ask ourselves why NE is always acting as if his disability is a burden. To me, she copied his brother JW. Remember: JW is the one who feels guilty and responsible for SW. He always tries to do everything for his brother therefore he is the one who underlines "his disability". Since JW is treating SW like that, NE started treating SW the same way. But SW was bothered by NE's behavior... he tried to hide his disability so that she would see him as a man. This could never work because she considers SW as a brother. 

SW can have a better relationship with Miss Kang because the latter definitely sees SW as a man. She complimented him for his handsome face, for his muscles aso.

Then I would like to add that the ending of the episode 9 is quite interesting and shouldn't be judged so quickly. Was president Gu rude or not? @annagriss8 and @bedifferent thought so because Gu mentioned that Dr. Joo wanted to leave the hospital before. However, we should consider many aspects in this scene: 

- the hand shake

- the way he treated OSW

- the speech

- and the ophtalmologist director who gave a statement

But let us not forget what had happened before. Gu was disappointed that there was only one candidate left: OSW. He complained that despite the two others, there was no real competition. So this outlines that president Gu was not really pleased with the situation. He definitely wanted another candidate.

Then when president Gu arrived, he almost ignored OSW (only nodding). He didn't speak to her, he didn't shake her hand aso. By approaching Dr. Joo, he made it clear that he would prefer Dr. Joo as hospital director. Even his speech is quite telling: he is looking forward to working with him. The next election hadn't taken place so by shaking his hands and giving this speech, he showed his preference and wanted to influence the doctors for the next vote. Sure, this could be seen differently for two reasons:

- the fact that he mentioned that Dr. Joo wanted to leave the hospital

- the fact that he showed his preference could be a tool to force the doctors to elect OSW as Gu is not appreciated by the doctors. He knows that he is not well perceived... But honestly, I am not entirely convinced that Gu was fake here.

To me, he is not a person who lies to others. He is always brutally honest and direct.

This leads us to the next question: why did he mention that Dr. Joo wanted to leave the hospital? In my opinion, he might have wanted to point out how surprised he was, when he became a candidate. He didn't expect him and we know that is true. Besides, by underlining that Dr. Joo wanted to change the hospital before and changed his mind, Gu may have tried to outshine that since Dr. Joo took his time before becoming a candidate, he was not motivated by ambition, unlike OSW aso. He never had this grand project that one day he would become the hospital director. OSW is here different: she is ambitious and very elitist. By saying this, Gu definitely illustrated that Joo had not the intention, once the director, to use this position for his own career.

Only after Gu left, the ophtalmologist director underlined in a negative way that Dr. Joo wanted to leave the hospital. He tried to picture Joo as a coward, someone who would easily change his mind. He definitely influenced JW who saw Gu again in a negative light. However, we shouldn't forget that the ophtalmologist director is a supporter of OSW hence he didn't like what Gu did. He tried to paint Gu and Joo in a bad light. He tried to influence them to vote for OSW.

Yes, we don't know for sure if Gu wanted to use his handshake in order to get rid of Joo or not. From my point of view, I thought that Gu was sincere and wanted to make sure that Joo would become the hospital director. Since Joo comes from a different hospital and has less recognition at the hospital, he needs a "weaker" hospital director because we shouldn't forget that the director can have Gu get fired. OSW is far too adversarial. 

Let me know what you think...

@triplem @piekeboeboe @staygold

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Since Joo comes from a different hospital and has less recognition at the hospital, he needs a "weaker" hospital director because we shouldn't forget that the director can have Gu get fired. OSW is far too adversarial.

Well said! His action of walking to Joo and shaking his hands itself showed what respect he has for the doctor. I was taken aback by him mentioning Dr Joo was ready to leave the hospital. JW needs to know the circumstances in which Dr Joo was ready to quit. He was of course trying to shield JW who had posted the confidential info online.

The President may or may not be able to manipulate the unwilling Dr Joo. But I think the president is wary of OSW for sure. With Dr Joo he can reason but with Dr OSW it will be a yelling competition. :lol:

• Like 5

I think that president Gu is somehow daunting, maybe wants dr. Joo more bold, more out of his shell,  or maybe he wants to get a side effect from  voters ( if the president does not want him as a director, let's do it, to the president despite) .  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, staygold said:

Well said! His action of walking to Joo and shaking his hands itself showed what respect he has for the doctor. I was taken aback by him mentioning Dr Joo was ready to leave the hospital. JW needs to know the circumstances in which Dr Joo was ready to quit. He was of course trying to shield JW who had posted the confidential info online.

The President may or may not be able to manipulate the unwilling Dr Joo. But I think the president is wary of OSW for sure. With Dr Joo he can reason but with Dr OSW it will be a yelling competition. :lol:

I haven’t watched E10, will see soon if we are right in our thoughts. :D

@bebebisous33 @staygold @triplem thanks for posting those great points. 

I thought the ending was amazing in the ambiguous way it was written and acted (+ directed). I actually am unsure of how to read Goo’s intentions.  My comment about Goo being ruthless was directed toward his standoff with deputy director Dr. Kim not the ending.

To add to what you have said about our president.  I see Goo’s handshake as more harmful than good no matter what his intention is.  To mention about Dr. Joo’s intent to quit the hospital without further footnoting the circumstances hurts his character as it implies he lacks in leadership quality for the directorship.  Perserverence, problem solving, loyalty, strength to represent the hospital... all that the chiefs were looking for in someone to lead them.  Goo has not only suggested Dr. Joo is lacking in those qualities but that he will not be able to stand his ground and protect their interests against the evil management.  I agree with @staygold that Jin-woo needed to know Dr. Joo protected him from disciplinary actions.  I initially and continue to think by taking the blame, Dr Joo did more harm than good.  Like LBH and Jin-woo, he tries to take the burden onto himself to help others. This only solve the problems short term, others are better in the long run facing and taking accountabilities of their actions.  His compassion and this tendency of covering up the mistakes will not change things for the better.  I agree more with Seon-woo where the hospital culture has to change so that the errors can be addressed without retribution.  We can not improve without having the chance to rectify our errors.

The handshake was deliberately timed.  We have to see if this is a goodwill gesture by Goo.  To his credit, he looks sincere.  I agree with you about choosing the right partner to work with. The power balance is one thing.  Choosing one who is less confrontational is a plus so that things can get done (in his favor).  The other important point is that Dr. Joo was a dark horse runner, surprisingly more liked than expected as a person and for his skills despite being an outsider.   Goo may also identify with him as an outsider who could be more open to change and easier to work with as opposed to the old exclusive chief club.   With him being a popular candidate (as opposed to a political candidate) means Dr. Joo can help rally support of the staff who Goo has sensed are unhappy with the current chiefs.  I like how Goo identifies his hurdles early in the game but is flexible enough with his attacks. 

I agree with you with No-Eul failing to see his wish to live as a normal life as others.  Maybe it was helpful in the beginning when Seon-woo was young and less confident to protect him like Mrs Ye.  Giving him chocolate milk is her mothering and nurturing way to comfort the guy.  I don’t think she consciously realizes that his needs have changed over the years.  I’m pretty sure Seon-woo knows confessing to her is more to free his own feelings and less about her reciprocating positively. Yes, he does have small sliver of hope.  I think he wanted No-Eul to at least acknowledge his confession and him as a man as any other.  She was caught off guard.  He misunderstood her delayed reactions, a little due to his own insecurities.  He just want to get out of there as soon as possible to save his manly pride.  LKH was incredible in that sequence as Seo-woon struggled to contain his emotions and kept himself together.  Ms Kang was godsend at that moment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If only ms kang is younger (and a bit cuter), I'd ship her and SW hard!! It must feel nice to have someone flirting with you despite an obvious disability.

I'm a little disappointed at how barbie dr handled SW's confession. Granted, SW took her by surprise. But she could have handled it better. 

I'm glad that GSH and transplant guy was smart enough when handling the suspicious nurse. Yay to secret bromance!! 

• Like 7

@dzareth Ehhhh, I am on the side of the suspicious RNs. Goo is in the wrong.  He’s manipulative and crossed ethical boundary by forcing the physicians to buy only the drugs provided by his own company.  He then funneled the profits as donations to the hospital.  :ph34r:

You tell me.  Why is Ms Kang single? :lol:

@wanda77 ohh I see what you mean.  Yes, could be.  President Goo is extending a welcome hand to give Dr. Joo the courage to step up. I like that idea too. :)

• Like 3