Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

@triplem

We got a hint but we got let down (it was for a good reason) but also hopeful that it's foreshadowing for better developments!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 1:17 AM, wanda77 said:

Just an opinion: I have the feeling that Gu will not approve dr. Joo as director, dr.Oh provided better qualities for this position; defended her department from restructuring team asking for official document, holding lectures for residents in her free time, keeping her team under control and supervising everything. 

As you said dr. Gu needs to survive himself so, as said in the previews, he always has a backup plan; because... he always lived like that? Watching his back not to make mistakes and being fired, who knows what layers remain to discover regarding  his character.

Seon Woo, I don't want to pity more than that his character... The actor proved once again that stage actors bring something more to their characters, despite the conviction that they might overact.

I think he might know the answer, but he doesn't want to be treated/cared like a child by No Eul.

From the preview, Jin-woo may have convinced a reluctant Dr. Joo to step up and fill his friend's place. There are things that I like and not like about seeing him be the hospital director.  

Let's assume that Dr. Joo gets elected, the drama is setting up some interesting dynamics between Dr. Joo and President.   Seung-Hyo's first approach to give power-hungry Dr. Kim his 11-year dream to exchange for his own agenda was more a symbiotic relationship.  This is a straight forward route.  With Dr. Joo, I think Seung-Hyo can take a step back management method where he will let the chiefs work among themselves to come to a solution to his directives.  The hospital now has someone who is at the opposite spectrum in terms of principles and work ethics.  Is he the best person I wonder?  We have seen how his own nurses didn't like his self less and workaholics ways.  Will he be able to make the hard decisions when it comes to budget reviews and cuts?  Will the politics be a hurdle that is hard to overcome for a man with compassionate nature?  Can he take the left, right side or be in the neutral position?  Can he win support?

For president Goo, it is a smarter way of managing by forcing the hospital staff to take action and accountability of their decisions.  No more blaming management for not coming from the same place as theirs or with their interests in mind.  Like he said to No-Eul, Seung-Hyo is not one to mind the methods as long as they give him the same result that he wants.  Being an outsider himself, it will be interesting to see how Dr. Joo will be able to change to old system, win over new alliances, and redirect the physician's interests.  I'm waiting to see if he can take upon this leadership role a little different than how LBH did.  The former director was loved for his integrity and fought hard against management's involvement.  Yet, I see his way is not the best either as the physicians came to rely on him to shield and fight their battles for them.  Jinwoo, for example, has no time outside of his busy workload to even get involved beforehand.  I think the baby-ing of the hospital staff has to stop just like what Jin-woo is doing for Seon-woo so that Sangook can be better.

On the business side,  Dr. Joo will help win the hospital staff's support for president Goo in regard to the new Songtan's hospital.  I think he is counting on him to help with the personnel move.

Dr. Oh.  She's dedicated to her department but found a way not to be its slave. I'd love for an intelligent strong woman to lead them.   She does lack in the compassion department and not the most personable person out there.  I think leadership has to inspire loyalty from somewhere deep in the heart.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, abyssal said:

I don't need a No Eul love line, sometimes caring people can't pick one person to love more, they want to love the whole world.

@Jusyed Sun Woo :(((( Ahhhh he confessed. Yes, I do agree he might know the answer in his heart (I'm calling it, it'll be a gentle down turn) but we have yet to see if No Eul can see beyond his disability. We have been getting a couple of Noona romances in the k-drama scene recently (don't watch rom-coms but have heard) but in this case, I think it's a no go. Whelp, there goes our perfect ending for Sun Woo, I was really hoping it was just idolatry/love for someone who mothers him but I guess, they just had to and I'm sad. I'm sad for Sun Woo and I'm also sad because they've put No Eul into a position where her romantic choice heavily affects the show. And if now, she ends up agreeing to date him out of pity that's even more painful - let alone if she ends up with someone else (oh I hope, please don't Jin Woo, just stay siblings with No Eul and stay with Sun Woo he's so precious)

But darn if ep 8 wasn't highly emotional. When Jin Woo shifted Sun Woo's hand, I really do commend whoever who directed/decided/suggested that Jin Woo hold Sun Woo's hand with his other as he shifted his grip. If not, I think my heart would have stopped and I think Sun Woo (as a character, this is a show) would have felt extremely insecure in the moment for fear that Jin Woo would let go of him. It's symbolic in the sense that Jin Woo really loves Sun Woo and consciously or not, he wants to keep assuring Sun Woo that he will be there. It's smothering but comforting and to a certain extent, ep 8 has shown us that the brothers are emotionally dependent on each other. 

Also yes man, you ghosted on the lady reporter twice, it's a decent thing to find her in person to apologise. (Go for that romance if you must and use all your cheesy lines, rather than fall for the childhood friend which will complicate things, find someone outside who inspires you and forces you to be honest) Much appreciation to the existence of the reporting aspect, where there are undeniable in the storyline.

Love your posts by the way.   You're def a Lee Kyu Hyung fan :)

I'm alright with Seon-woo's confession.  He just needs to do it then get over it so he can move on to finding the love of his life.  I just don't want this to be foreshadowing something dreadful (with his painkillers).  Please no bucket-list confession. I don't want him to be a martyr either.  I am with you, a happy ending for Kyu Hyung for once! He seems destined to play tragic figures.  I love his character choices though, it says a lot about how PD and writers consider his skills. 

PD Hong is known for his Dear My Friends sentiments... See, this is where I see a big difference between Secret Forest and Life.  I'm not sure if it is the intention of the writer or the director vision that made this drama more emotionally weighted.  It feels ages ago that we see anything mentioned about LBH's case.  Has it been closed?  What happened to the detective and the investigation?

Yes, the brothers are so lovely together.  I miss seeing their mom, love the actress.  The hand shifting moved the sentiment from the brothers trying to protect one another to both consciously collectively in it together. :heart:

and @Jusyed god, so many ships. I forever ship Nighty with assistant Kyung-A :lol:  It's not meant to be with No-Eul because she is not the right ship.  I just hope no hating on WJA in episode 9.  It is what it is when it comes to the heart.  No worries for Seon-woo.  His future GF will be unassuming with the same quiet grace as him.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, annagriss8 said:

@bedifferent

President Gu has Nighty. They are soulmates.

And don't forget about Gu's bromance with the other Sun Woo (Dr Chang).

Soulmates or not, you know Nighty is going to be the first pt to be scanned at the new vet center.  Puppy CF coming soon, prez is planning ahead!  Correct me if I am wrong, SunWoo is not a physician right?  Yet he mentioned knowing Seo-woo's medical school reputation.

Jin-woo was in public health before transferring to a private university hospital.  Will he possibly return to his first love and community involvement in the future?

• Like 5

Lee Dong Wook And Cho Seung Woo Are All Smiles In Behind-The-Scenes Photos For “Life”

by yshin

dacba53114c944e1824952f0655d7af8.jpeg?s=

The cast of “Life” are burning with passion in newly released behind-the-scenes photos!

On August 19, JTBC unveiled several behind-the-scenes photos of Lee Dong Wook, Cho Seung Woo, and other cast members in anticipation for the second half of the drama that will be even more intense.

“Life” is a medical drama about the conflicts that arise as different figures in the hospital have varied beliefs on medicine. Lee Dong Wook plays Ye Jin Woo, an emergency room doctor who values life above all else, and Cho Seung Woo is Goo Seung Hyo, the chief director of the hospital who values numbers above all else.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1217273wpp/lee-dong-wook-cho-seung-woo-smiles-behind-scenes-photos-life

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Yes @bedifferent I need more time . I have to write this in between classes or when my students are working on questions. :sweatingbullets:.  I should be able to catch up this week. 

Just wanted to  say something about No Eul’s characterisation. I like her . While some may perceive her character here as nothing but eye candy or plot device perhaps, I like her openness to change & her unprejudiced ways of looking at things. She’s already had an effect on Goo whether he realises it or not . She is highlighting to him whether consciously or not that this business is not just about the numbers but it is also about heart. As this is not a procedural drama , very little scenes will be dedicated to her treating patients etc. especially with a large cast such as this & with the hospital politics at the core of the story . So far i am able to see that she’s committed to her job , loves her patients , and has a gentle or caring way of dealing with people. This is my first time seeing this actress. While perhaps being a newbie in the industry ( I know she had her big break in JTBC’s Just Between Lovers), WJA may seem slightly inexperienced compared to giants such as JSW & LDW, I feel she’s been able to hold her own. 

Goo’s decision to cancel the relocation must have surprised the staff , who were all gung Ho & raring to strike. Was this reactive or a calculated move by Goo? Had he already foreseen this ? I am also highly suspicious of the alliance he wants to form with deputy director, supposedly showing support for the latter’s candidacy . Both have their own agenda , and it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I am never a fan of the monopolisation of supply /distribution chains within an organisation be it the medical industry or not . Often such practices  lead to inefficiencies & bloated prices . Bad for the customers / patients.  I am not against profits being made but there’s a conflict of interest here as I feel the docs will be needing to push for sales rather than being focused on their jobs. It’s already happening in  private medical care in my country. But I do see why Goo did this . Those equipments, the new technology etc does not pay for itself of course . 

Ooo I was rather happy that reporter girl asked JW if she could still contact him for medical questions. And he said yes ! Haha I like her . She’s a rebel of sorts too. Perfect! 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@hamaji  Soyou of SISTAR will be featured on Life OST3 - Silence.  Releasing today 8/20/18.

We have to congratulate Yoo Jae-Myung.  He's getting married on Oct 21st in a simple ceremony to his (non-celeb) GF of 5 years.  He's fantastic in this drama and such a chameleon method actor.  All different roles in his last 4-5 dramas that I watched.  Yay for finding someone to share your life with, Dr. Joo! :heart:

@triplem oh no... back to school?  hang in there.  Let's hope life calms down after a few weeks for you.

With Goo at the start, we see him doing his homeworks, studying hospital expense, looking at inventories in his office on the first day.  It's the thing I like about our president.  He's coming into his job not knowing but is willing to learn the basic operations before dolling out cuts.   But looking at slides and excel spreadsheets can only get him only so far.  He needed to know more about the stuffs he is going to manage.  Thus as a responsible president, we see him sneaking into the OR late at night, playing with the equipments to better understanding why the OR needed to spend money on 10 operating instruments that look exactly the same.  This is where No-eul comes in as she helps him understand more of hospital operations, its people, their sentiments, the reasons why they do the things they do.  The visits to the NICU, those babies, she gives him the reasons why Pediatrics will always choose to spend for their lives instead of trying to stay in the black.  The reason they spend so much on pediatric medications is due to the fact medications are weight based for children and waste are to be expected.  Compounded to the loss is that insurance does not reimburse hospital for the wasted doses so hospital staff recycle the unused portion by consolidating the leftovers to be used for another pt.  This increases the risk of contaminations and medication errors.  Their night walks give him a chance to learn first hand the stuffs that researches and reports on his desk cannot.   I see her more than a tour guide as No-eul being openly helpful would allow him to fully understand what he manages and possibly make the right decisions.  Others were confrontational and protective of their hospital so are closed off to any improvement or change to the system, may it be bad or archaic.  On a personal level, Seung-Hyo needs a friend.  His job isolated him from having relationships with the people whom he works with.  Maybe that's what he wants as it is easier to deal with numbers and people on a non-personal level.  No-Eul won't change him completely but at least she helps him see beyond the corporate mentality.

I think the department cuts was his first solution to balancing the numbers when coming onto the job.  My feeling is it was to show the change in Goo's character as the drama progresses.  At that time, he was looking at mere numbers on excel spreadsheet and took the logistic solution to the problem.  It was a quick fix and a temporary one.  Bad as it sounds, it was necessary to force the hospital to take a deeper look at their operating expenses.  I like how he turned it on the hospital staff to question their commitment to their patients and the ideal of their professions.  He is absolutely awared his decision will be challenged and opposed.  It is only through this will he be able to identify his foes and possible alliances. LOL  

Hwajeong wants to complete the loop.  They want control of pharmaceutical industry, hospital, insurance and physicians.  It's beyond providing the equipments for the hospital.  It's illegal and there's an anti-trust issue here.  No government will allow this so Goo is trying to shield the identity and his pharmaceutical subdivisions relationship with the hospital.  You'll get to see more in E 7-8.  It's hard to trust and applaud his actions when you realize his ultimate goal.  As he gets to learn more about what gets affected by his actions, I am hoping we see a more humane businessman who is willing to compromise to get the right solutions for all.  Somewhere along this road, Goo will see that the people who he needs to protect are no one other than the patients.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

When you don't want to be spoiled before english subs comes out, but you have to peek at the clips for romantic moments :wub: haha

Spoiler

Couldn't see any moments between President & No Eul but seems that Jin-Woo's got a daaate :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

according too @ganko  me too! didn't want to be spoiled before english sub comes out, but I have to peek at the clips for romantic moments :wub:

:wub:

Spoiler

1XJU4mQ.png 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@bedifferent  ha ha Mr. President haha - every time Dr. NE said something to him, he is awkwardly cute. He never has this kind of cute personality with anybody else - even with his mother, he has that poker face ha ha ha. I can't wait to watch the scene tonight.:D

@ganko what a cute disappointment, me too...was waiting for their cute moment - hopefully, preview tonight won't troll us..lol!.

Seeing Jin Woo suddenly turned sad said after looking so happy with the reporter make me all sympathy to both him and his brother. Unless Dr. NE will end up with Seon Woo, then only we can see Jin Woo will have that happy face again..but noooo I want Dr. NE to end up with lonely Mr. President. He deserves happiness too. Afterall nobody on his side now except Ms. Kang.... but definitely strictly working partner!. 

On 8/19/2018 at 1:06 AM, bedifferent said:

and @Jusyed god, so many ships. I forever ship Nighty with assistant Kyung-A :lol:  It's not meant to be with No-Eul because she is not the right ship.  I just hope no hating on WJA in episode 9.  It is what it is when it comes to the heart.  No worries for Seon-woo.  His future GF will be unassuming with the same quiet grace as him.

No No I do not ship Mr. Gu with his Ms. Kang hehehe. I ship them only and strictly for work lol!. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

@Jusyed  I love Ms Kang.  Simple as that. She reminds me a lotttt of Bae Doona’s character in Secret Forest!  She can see a troubled soul miles away and say the right thing at the right moment.  

I only just watched the first 15min... what a wonderful show! LDW is a revelation :)

@triplem ship sailed for Jin-woo.  This drama is very much like Live in how real the characters are.  Lee Kyu Hyung is heartbreakingly good. 

• Like 6