[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh boy. Just caught up with the latest eps in a whirlwind called what-the-heck-is-wrong-with-his-mother.

What a crazy witch.

Anyhow, I didn't know that the 520 roses meant I-love-you. It's supposed to be a homophone but the Chinese pronunciation of the numbers is rather far from it. But that was a nice scene. What you can learn from dramas these days...

Spoiler

I particularly liked the scene where both leads were talking through the door, much more than the break-up scene in London. I could feel the tenacity of their love in this one and just how far they were willing to go to protect that. The convo flowed pretty naturally and is much less contrived than a third-person reference to themselves in the London one. Subtle but not subliminal! 

3 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

The character of DMZ and the actress is really great/hilarious. Has she been in anything else?

She is the real sister of the Barbie Hsu, the original Shan Cai from 2001 Meteor Garden. She is a very famous variety show host known for being racy and sexually harassing male celebrities. 

She was even asking in a bts why there was no kiss scene between brother and sister in MG 2018

Here’s Dylan’s new music video. For hardcore Dylan fans (and MG fans passing time until the finale comes out). 

https://youtu.be/FzUhxrMnJsg

I know he’s not a great singer, and the video is cringey (god forbid my husband walks in while I’m watching it), but it doesn’t stop me, haha.

Btw, before anyone gets defensive, I love Dylan, and I know he’s probably contractually obliged to release music, so he has no say. But he’s self deprecating about his own abilities, so you can guess he probably just enjoys it and doesn’t take himself too seriously. 

As an aside - have you heard Hu Yitian sing the ALSB theme song? He’s got a really nice voice!

22 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

Here’s Dylan’s new music video. For hardcore Dylan fans (and MG fans passing time until the finale comes out). 

I know he’s not a great singer, and the video is cringey (god forbid my husband walks in while I’m watching it), but it doesn’t stop me, haha.

Btw, before anyone gets defensive, I love Dylan, and I know he’s probably contractually obliged to release music, so he has no say. But he’s self deprecating about his own abilities, so you can guess he probably just enjoys it and doesn’t take himself too seriously. 

As an aside - have you heard Hu Yitian sing the ALSB theme song? He’s got a really nice voice!

Totally agree about the cringey part. Good thing the boy’s got swag and easy on the eye. And dear me, he’s Hwang Tae-Kyung.

34 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

This is the video he is going to be embarrassed with when he is 30, lol. He looks so much younger here too than in MG.

34 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

This is the video he is going to be embarrassed with when he is 30, lol. He looks so much younger here too than in MG.

He has plenty of videos circulating the internet to be embarrassed about, not only this one

OMG guys! Meteor Garden is finally done and I’m gonna miss it so much!! :tears::tears:

Btw, you see the wedding kiss of Caisi is really good and sweet! its like the one from HYD Final. far from the preview that was shown & Shancai’s lips was moving. 

That’s why lesson learn from here is that, we should not judge first until every proof is shown to us :lol:

13 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I agree that the kissing is really awkward. And, like you, I was expecting progression.

I just finished watching eps 47 and 48 and Urgh! The disappointment. Especially with the meteor room kiss! Watch with low expectations! 

I’m also not convinced Ximen and Xiaoyou are great at kissing either (although I admit their kissing body language is better. She doesn’t freeze up like SY). I think Ximen is a good kisser, but in the kiss under the cheesy big heart you can see that Xiaoyou is part of the SY school of pursed-lip-kissing because at some point Ximen opens his lips, she doesn’t open hers and it leaves him just snogging away at the bit under her nose. 

But I might be a bit biased because I don’t get Ximen and Xiaoyou. I get Ximen, he’s really together and mature and Caesar Wu is pretty hot. But Xiaoyou is just so needy and pathetically grateful that he even gives her the time of day.  I don’t see why that would be interesting to Ximen (or anyone). Also, her cutesy voice is grating. But I know that a lot of Chinese people like that cutesy thing in girls. I have cousins who talk like that and it’s so annoying. Firstly you feel like you’re talking to a child, and secondly by default you’re the manlier one for having a normal voice, haha. 

As an aside, I hate that every time DMS invites SC to something/tells her to come with him she’s like ‘FOR WHAT???‘ with a look of terror. He’s not some madman who wants to assault you, there’s no need to look at him like that!

I went back to look at clips of the Heart kiss scene, and you're right, Xiao You is closed mouth for the whole scene. Yet, their kissing scenes (Xiao You /Ximen) works for me better than SC/DS kiss scenes. I try to think of why the Xiao You/Ximen kiss scenes are better for me. I think it is combination of things. I agree with you the actress playing Xiao You is much more relaxed. She is not frozen stiff and still like a statue. While the lips don't move, her body does move-arms around him, she moves her head a bit too so it doesn't seem like he's kissing a pole. She is more responsive and participating in the scene with her acting partner. Actor who plays Ximen is good kisser-he does all the heavy work for their scenes. Even though he said this is his first acting role, he already knows how to work for best angles to make kiss look more realistic, and he moves his lips. Finally, I think their kiss scenes are better shot. The camera angles work more to hide the kiss flaws and put the 2 actors in more flattering positions to help kiss seem real. 

There was discussion on Twitter about the Ximen/Xiao You kiss scenes:

https://twitter.com/saturnmars2/status/1034643161316880384

I like the Ximen/Xiao You storyline, but I will agree with you that it's not the best executed here in this version. Korean version is still the best one for me in terms of the couple interaction and chemistry. 

I won't say much about finale since many of you haven't watched it yet. But all I can see is you all won't be disappointed. This version has great/ near great ending just like Hana Yori Dango J-version

Don't fight me please this is the best version of HanDan ever. I love Meteor Garden 2018. This version may have it's fault but sure beats all other versions for me( J version will always hold a special place in my heart I still remember my life was never the same after watching J version. I got addicted to asian dramas) . All the actors did great job despite being rookie. After 138283048 years finally a drama gave me all the feels.

Hands down to Angie Chai and Mg cast. DyShen/CaiSi have great chemistry. I will look forward to their future endeavours. It was great reading all your opinions.Thank you all for keeping the thread alive

P.S : What makes this version more special for me is that it gave me my new favourite actor Dylan Wang . His first drama and I am already his fangirl. I already see him as a future superstar just like other hyd versions domyouji tsukasa

38 minutes ago, marielou92 said:

Btw, you see the wedding kiss of Caisi is really good and sweet! its like the one from HYD Final. far from the preview that was shown & Shancai’s lips was moving. 

Thank Goodness! Can't wait to check out the wedding kiss scene, now that we know it's different from that awful preview! Now have to check to see if subbed episodes are out at Netflix! Edit: Ep. 44-45 are up at Netflix. Looks like we have to wait until tomorrow to see the final subbed episodes.

I agree with everyone Dylan's age really shows in real life vs him as DS. On top of the style, I think it's his voice and the way he speaks too, he sounds much younger than his MG dubbed voice.

Omg all the previews.. I can't wait to watch the last eps!!!!

38 minutes ago, Harry97 said:
I won't say much about finale since many of you haven't watched it yet. But all I can see is you all won't be disappointed. This version has great/ near great ending just like Hana Yori Dango J-version

Don't fight me please this is the best version of HanDan ever. I love Meteor Garden 2018. This version may have it's fault but sure beats all other versions for me( J version will always hold a special place in my heart I still remember my life was never the same after watching J version. I got addicted to asian dramas) . All the actors did great job despite being rookie. After 138283048 years finally a drama gave me all the feels.

Hands down to Angie Chai and Mg cast. DyShen/CaiSi have great chemistry. I will look forward to their future endeavours. It was great reading all your opinions.Thank you all for keeping the thread alive

P.S : What makes this version more special for me is that it gave me my new favourite actor Dylan Wang . His first drama and I am already his fangirl. I already see him as a future superstar just like other hyd versions domyouji tsukasa

Thank you!!! You've got me hopeful and excited again. :):):)

35 minutes ago, feliset said:

I agree with everyone Dylan's age really shows in real life vs him as DS. On top of the style, I think it's his voice and the way he speaks too, he sounds much younger than his MG dubbed voice.

Omg all the previews.. I can't wait to watch the last eps!!!!

And Dylan Wang’s true voice & accent is really kinda funny no. like anytime he speaks feels like he’s going to make a joke :lol:

But our boy is truly a funny & jolly guy anyway :wub:

Watched the ending raw and I gotta say I am very satisfied with it. Been missing out on this drama and waiting for subs to come out, so I don't spoil anything, but I just had to watch the ending. I am very happy. I really like this version of their happy ending. They are soo adorable being together. It's as if they were a real couple and newly wed, too. :wub:

Really am going to miss Dylan Wang. I hope he comes out with a new drama soon. :)

3 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

OMG! That music video is so ridiculous! HAHAHAHA! LOL!  So embarassing! I feel for Dylan-poor kid. I think whoever created the concept for that MV should be fired. Do they really think this concept would be anything but a joke to young people?  Well, I guess the silver lining is that Dylan got to sit in a cool sports car and pretend to drive it? Also got to sit on a cool motorcycle too. 

2 hours ago, rimjayc said:

me actually realizing that Meteor Garden is over… aprocess

what am i gonna do now ? 

@rimjayc I feel you. I just finished it. A great void has opened up. What am I going to do with my life now? :bawling:  Ending was super cute.

Spoiler

I don’t know if this is a spoiler (haha. In case people are waiting to see what’s happening to them), but bloody Terrence and Caina in their (really ugly) space pod getting actual dialogue in the finale! Get away! Get away!!! Every minute of their story was incredibly boring, and made me incredibly frustrated at the time. Salt in the wound! 

Archived