[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, creidesca said:

Vietnamese subbers are quick, up to ep 31 (I was only expecting ep 28-29 today even if someone VIP already paid more for the extra episodes)

The extra ep should have been up to 29, iqiyi dumped extra 4 ep (up to 33) by accident on vip last night. This drama airing schedule is a mess, and trying to discuss it while going at different rate is kind of difficult. Weibo's current no. 1 trending spoils early 30s episodes lol. I've been spoiled left and right already but it's kind of frustrating. Oh well, I'll waddle through 20s slowly and binge when the ending hits. 

Wow, we are almost half way through----I wondered who wants to kill FX?? Anyone knows? Is it just me, I can't feel any chemistry between the OTP?? Perhaps, because they don't have a lot of lovey dovey scene??? However, their love is so pure and genuine :)!!!!!

I don't feel a palpable romantic chemistry between FX and LWE either, but yeah there aren't that many scenes between them lol. Perhaps, this loveline wasn't meant to be the focus of the story. They do feel loving towards each other...like in the way family members might be towards each other. Since both actors are great, I'm inclined to believe that's just how it written. 

But also, doesn't it seem like FX has great and interesting chemistry with everyone else tho?? His friends and family members are wonderful. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

But also, doesn't it seem like FX has great and interesting chemistry with everyone else tho?? His friends and family members are wonderful. 

I do think FX and Wan Er have chemistry, but I agree that he also has chemistry with everyone else. 

5 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I just found out that some of actors in Joy of Life are also in the Republican Drama The Awakening of Insects also starred Zhang Ruo Yun, there are Guo BaoKun, Fan Xian's adopted Father, one official in Investigation Office, and our patriot bodyguard of FanXian Teng ZeZing, maybe that is one reason why Fan Xian has more chemistry with them than with Lin WanEr. (Note i havent searched which one is earlier, Joy of life or The Awakening of Insect)

But i believe in Zhang RuoYun's ability, he is one of talented actors that should be easy creating chemistry with all his supporting casts, include the female lead, which Li Qin is also one of talented actor.

Really love the casts, the script, the music score! Dont really like the hair style for some characters (like 2nd prince's and Fan XiZhi's).

@rosierosie Linger’s Father once told FX that she is crazy. It will be interesting to see what her backstory is. If she is not related to the Emperor by blood, then how did she become the Royal Princess? 

FX is in a difficult position - he should get rid of her for his own safety, but she is also Linger’s Mother. Will Linger forgive him and still want to marry him if he harms her Mother?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omiki said:

@rosierosie Linger’s Father once told FX that she is crazy. It will be interesting to see what her backstory is. If she is not related to the Emperor by blood, then how did she become the Royal Princess? 

FX is in a difficult position - he should get rid of her for his own safety, but she is also Linger’s Mother. Will Linger forgive him and still want to marry him if he harms her Mother?

Hmmmm well FX has indirectly murdered Ling Er half brother Lin Gong, so yeah he is really really in a difficult position like you said. Ling Er is closer to Lin Gong than to her own birth mom, and I saw Ling Er is more shocked when she knows that FX has something to do with Lin Gong's death. So FX is surrounded by In Laws that want him dead, especially when the truth about Lin Gong is out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, omiki said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the book the Elder Princess is the daughter of the Empress Dowager from the previous emperor.  Maybe that's why she was adopted by the current emperor?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, crackaddict said:

@ForgottenSoulx where is it subbed up to 21 already? can i dm you? asking first, in case you needa keep it private and i wanna respect that. 

I'm waiting for the "drumstick girl" hijinks to be over. I think that's the only plotline that annoys me (although the reference is funny). Everything else, especially FX closest relationships are great. 

edit: saw the hijinks sorted out in episode 11. it was cute how it was resolved. 

Its up to 27 now and its a facebook group PM if you want it.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:47 AM, rosierosie said:

Just finished ep 21!! Love how slowly the plot is unfolding. Would we be seeing FX and Wan'Er wedding in this season, or no?

I think we will.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:42 AM, rosierosie said:

Wow, we are almost half way through----I wondered who wants to kill FX?? Anyone knows? Is it just me, I can't feel any chemistry between the OTP?? Perhaps, because they don't have a lot of lovey dovey scene??? However, their love is so pure and genuine :)!!!!!

I feel the romance and chemistry its just pure and sweet.

7 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Hmmmm well FX has indirectly murdered Ling Er half brother Lin Gong, so yeah he is really really in a difficult position like you said. Ling Er is closer to Lin Gong than to her own birth mom, and I saw Ling Er is more shocked when she knows that FX has something to do with Lin Gong's death. So FX is surrounded by In Laws that want him dead, especially when the truth about Lin Gong is out.

I dont think he was indrectly killed by FX.. They tried to kill FX so his guard killed Lin Gong but its not like he was ordered to and FX may be surrounded by those in Laws but he has the Emperor and Chen Pingping.

After watching 27/26 

Spoiler

The scene with the Princess was just so good where his hands were around her throat you could tell he really wanted to kill her but couldn't. He finally got the key im so damn excited and that Poem scene was really amazing hes so quick on his feet so so clever. Guo Baokun was pretty cute in those scenes haha its weird to say this but I felt that way. 

Joy of Life is slower then viet subs because we need to wait for Chinese platforms to sub before we get them. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

16 hours ago, epinklyn said:

just found out that some of actors in Joy of Life are also in the Republican Drama The Awakening of Insects also starred Zhang Ruo Yun, there are Guo BaoKun, Fan Xian's adopted Father, one official in Investigation Office, and our patriot bodyguard of FanXian Teng ZeZing, maybe that is one reason why Fan Xian has more chemistry with them than with Lin WanEr. (Note i havent searched which one is earlier, Joy of life or The Awakening of Insect)

JoL was filmed early last year, Awakening Insect was filmed early this year haha. The dramas also share director I believe, different scriptwriter though. I do think otp chemistry is just how the romance is written. Lin Wan'er is lot flatter and featured even less in the book I think? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, skibbies said:

I do think otp chemistry is just how the romance is written. Lin Wan'er is lot flatter and featured even less in the book I think? 

Yea Lin Wan'er character is the least interesting even in the novels. Fan Xian has better chemistry with the 2nd female lead (Haiting Duo Duo) in novels and her character is badass.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I dont think he was indrectly killed by FX.. They tried to kill FX so his guard killed Lin Gong but its not like he was ordered to and FX may be surrounded by those in Laws but he has the Emperor and Chen Pingping.

But if FX didnt try to kill LG that night and met WZ, WZ will never know that LG try to assasinate FX, since WZ is not at the capital city that day. 

9 hours ago, skibbies said:

JoL was filmed early last year, Awakening Insect was filmed early this year haha. The dramas also share director I believe, different scriptwriter though

Ohh hahaha thx for info!

4 hours ago, syllable said:

Yea Lin Wan'er character is the least interesting even in the novels. Fan Xian has better chemistry with the 2nd female lead (Haiting Duo Duo) in novels and her character is badass.

Cant wait to see HDD! I think in the preview ep 35, she call WZ as her teacher?

ahh so HDD is the woman in white that dance with FX in the preview??? EP 27 was great!! Anyone can interpret the meaning of the poem FX spoke out during the event^^? I can interpret a bit, for example; I think he talks about the relationships, turmoil and conflicts in the palace--I may be wrong^^. 

Actually, I've also been noticing that Guo Baokun's character is quite funny and cute. Like, he had potential to be an actual nemesis (see Teng Zijing story line) when we first see him, but then there are characters like the Grand Princess who are legit really friggin' scary. She's dangerous and cunning behind that elegant look and gentle voice. Li Xiaoran is just amazing in this role. 

Honestly, everyone is just doing such a great job in their roles. I'm so glad that this finally got aired and I decided to check it out. I was reading the novel but dropped it because novel Fan Xian is a tad...well he's just not as endearing in the novel as he is on the show. He's still a clever guy and has an air of youthful confidence, but he doesn't feel as grounded or down to earth as Zhang Ruoyun's version. In the drama version, you really get the impression that all the OGs around him are powerful, impressive and the real movers and shakers in their world lol (but I stopped reading pretty early lol). Also, I'm not into harem novels and weak characterizations of female characters, so I'm grateful for the changes in the drama. Even if Lin Wan'er in the drama is sickly, but she tells FX what's on her mind, consoles him when he's grieving, and is exacting in her decisions; I appreciate that a lot. Again, my bad if I'm misrepresenting the novel since I stopped reading pretty early on. 

Does anyone know when we'll be able to see Xiao Zhan? And yeah, Haitaing Duo Duo is the woman dancing in white and acted by Xin Zhilei, who I happen to adore :wub:. She's too beautiful for this role lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Also, I'm not into harem novels and weak characterizations of female characters, so I'm grateful for the changes in the drama. Even if Lin Wan'er in the drama is sickly, but she tells FX what's on her mind, consoles him when he's grieving, and is exacting in her decisions; I appreciate that a lot. Again, my bad if I'm misrepresenting the novel since I stopped reading pretty early on. 

Does anyone know when we'll be able to see Xiao Zhan? And yeah, Haitaing Duo Duo is the woman dancing in white and acted by Xin Zhilei, who I happen to adore :wub:. She's too beautiful for this role lol. 

I was the same regarding harem novels but the female characters in this series and in the novels are really well done most of them have their own character motivations and circumstances which play into their interactions with Fan Xian.

Regarding Xiao Zhan's character he will play a major role in the final few episodes but his character overall is more fleshed out and plays a major role towards the mid - end of the novel. Which is why we haven't seen him much on screen.

Avoid the spoiler i'm discussing something from one of the end episodes and only view it if you dont care about spoilers or have read the novels.

Spoiler

I was worried if they were gonna avoid the drunk/drugged Fan Xian scene in episode 44 with HDD from the novels based on the implication but was pleasantly surprised how they handled it in the drama.

• Like 1