[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

I lurked and saw the trailer on YT and went out to purchased the 32 volumes of this novel (huge discount and get a tax deduction lol) and will read over the holiday break and will watch this after it gets fully English subbed. So looking forward! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:59 AM, creidesca said:

Wait, I thought Wan'ers mom, the Grand Princess has control of something similar to the "treasury", she has no control over the investigative bureau--that is Chen's domain?

You are correct, I totally just read that as treasury due to Elder Princess awsociation. Invetigative Bureau have nothing to do with her. 

:confused:Is the chicken drum lady not his "first" cousin.  If YX is emperor's son, and she is the daughter of royal princess (i am assuming that means  she is emperor's "sister" )  So if he does not know, the emperor knows and yet he wants them to marry ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jadore1 said:

:confused:Is the chicken drum lady not his "first" cousin.  If YX is emperor's son, and she is the daughter of royal princess (i am assuming that means  she is emperor's "sister" )  So if he does not know, the emperor knows and yet he wants them to marry ?

I believe it was mentioned that the grand princess and the emperor are not related by blood?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:56 AM, creidesca said:

I dunno how some sites have up to episode 27?

because tencent and iqiyi did this "pay to get more episodes" thing on top of vip. So they dumped 6 episodes on wednesday, next week there's 2 ep update as normally. Just vvip (33) would be 6 ep ahead vip (27), 12 ep ahead of non vip (21) by the end of the week.

There's been lot of yelling at tencent, mostly tencent because Yuewen (novel was serialised on Qidian, so the IP belongs to Yuewen) is controlled by tencent. Xinli, the main production company was also bought out by Yuewen. Also because they started this with Untamed this summer, price discrimination to the max. I think the previous week (and this week)'s leak is also from tencent since the ads are the same. People have been saying it's from oversea wetv app, but idk if that's a confusion from first week or what? It is kind of unusual for consistent just two extra ep leak per week. 

On 12/12/2019 at 4:50 AM, jadore1 said:

Historically, I think first cousins do marry sometimes, but the drama changed it. Your assumption is correct though, for future reference, the title is given to emperor's sister. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skibbies said:

because tencent and iqiyi did this "pay to get more episodes" thing on top of vip. So they dumped 6 episodes on wednesday, next week there's 2 ep update as normally. Just vvip (33) would be 6 ep ahead vip (27), 12 ep ahead of non vip (21) by the end of the week.

There's been lot of yelling at tencent, mostly tencent because Yuewen (novel was serialised on Qidian, do the IP belongs to Yuewen) is controlled by tencent, Xinli, the main production company was also bought out by Yuewen. Also because they started this with Untamed this summer, price discrimination to the max. I think the previous week (and this week)'s leak is also from tencent since the ads are the same. People have been saying its from oversea wetv app, but idk if that's a confusion from first week or what? It is kind of unusual for consistent just two extra ep leak per week. 

Historically, I think first cousins do marry sometimes, but the drama changed it. Your assumption is correct though, for future reference, the title is given to emperor's sister. 

If I remember correctly,  in 1st ep it states that the emperor and his sister are not related by blood. She was adopted into the royal family. So Wan Er and Fan Xian are not related at all by blood. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, ForgottenSoulx said:

Im glad people here seem to be liking this im at 21 sub and its soooooo good it has got it so right. 

@ForgottenSoulx where is it subbed up to 21 already? can i dm you? asking first, in case you needa keep it private and i wanna respect that. 

I'm waiting for the "drumstick girl" hijinks to be over. I think that's the only plotline that annoys me (although the reference is funny). Everything else, especially FX closest relationships are great. 

edit: saw the hijinks sorted out in episode 11. it was cute how it was resolved. 

Sad Teng Zijin is dead, he was such a good friend and bodyguard to FX. FX was so sad, it was nice to see the tender moments between him and Wan'Er :)!!! I like how the plot keeps us guessing who is behind the killing and why??!! Love the funny moments between FX and Wang Qinan lol. I'm on ep 18, and so far it's great!! 

2 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Sad Teng Zijin is dead, he was such a good friend and bodyguard to FX. FX was so sad, it was nice to see the tender moments between him and Wan'Er :)!!! I like how the plot keeps us guessing who is behind the killing and why??!! Love the funny moments between FX and Wang Qinan lol. I'm on ep 18, and so far it's great!! 

I started reading the English translated novel because this drama was good. I definitely see more funny moments in the drama than the book, particularly between Fan Xian and Wan'Er. I feel that their relationship developed much better than the novel. You get to feel how they feel in love with those few encounters and not knowing each other true identities. 

I think in the novel, they fell in "love at first sight" at the temple and then he finds his chicken-leg girl by pretending to be a physician. No other interaction in between.

• Like 1