[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

2 hours ago, missirina said:

I agree completely. They should now work together, not separately. Your worries about Sun Mi is valid, but I am also worried about Oh Gong. Why oh why didn't he just tell her that he loves her even without GGG? I don't want him to still try to sacrifice himself. After all, the death bell fate can be changed now. If SM knows, then together they might find an answer and fight together. 

OG decides not to tell SM about falling in love with her for real in case he dies fighting the dragon. He thinks that it might cause her additional pain if he does die knowing that he loved her so deeply and completely. He tells MW that after he wins, he wants to tell SM then.

That is flawed thinking, of course. Though, I can kind of follow it. SM may feel guilt that OG is doing all this for her because of the geumganggo, but because she thinks his love is because of the geumganggo, SM is probably holding herself back just a bit, and in her words, it's causing her to feel relief. Knowing that OG loves her really and deeply, however, SM will be burdened that much more and carry that much more pain in case OG can't win over the dragon.

I still think that it's better for SM to know, of course, however, I have confidence now that OG and SM will end up happily together, with a son who looks just like OG. :)

No more hiding secret please.

with their fate i think they might have to defeat this dragon together. Even Sunmi already knew about it hence she is trying to buy Kang dae sung 's land

ASN seems so ready to be thrown away by Kang Dae Sung and PK soon. This kang dae sung is so so evil and greedy that he attracted the worst evil spirits. 

with ASN getting so soft, i don't think she will be the main cause of this upcoming apocalypse.

May ep 19 &20 be as epic as ep 18. Let the couple love like crazy, fight this monster together , and have babies of their own.

i feel so bad for Buja though... now she can't even see her mum anymore

• Like 5

3 hours ago, haymochi said:

No more hiding secret please.

with their fate i think they might have to defeat this dragon together. Even Sunmi already knew about it hence she is trying to buy Kang dae sung 's land

ASN seems so ready to be thrown away by Kang Dae Sung and PK soon. This kang dae sung is so so evil and greedy that he attracted the worst evil spirits. 

with ASN getting so soft, i don't think she will be the main cause of this upcoming apocalypse.

May ep 19 &20 be as epic as ep 18. Let the couple love like crazy, fight this monster together , and have babies of their own.

i feel so bad for Buja though... now she can't even see her mum anymore

I think the only secret left is about OG not needing the geumganggo to be madly in love with SM.  OG told SM about his plans to fight the dragon already. I don't think SM knows about ASN switching sides to help OG, but SM isn't going to be too pleased about that anyway since ASN wanted SM's man and all. :)

At least ASN enabled BJ to see her mother one last time. I'm curious about what the resolution to ASN/BJ is going to be. I think BJ is going to get a chance to say goodbye, but then her soul will go to the afterlife. I wondered if ASN  would then continue to use BJ's body, or whether ASN will cross peacefully to the afterlife as well this time rather than being trapped within a crypt.

Also, this is a bit random, but I really like this picture of the OTP which I got from A Korean Odyssey twitter. They both just look so beautiful and tough and intimate. :D Anyway, it's either this photo or spam this thread with even more pics of the epic makeout scene from the end of episode 18 which there is already plenty of...  :wub:

Image result for a korean odyssey

I got to say after watching episode 18’s ending, my first reaction was MW who? Son,  who?  Never heard of them. I think my brain froze (similarly to eating ice cream. Brain freeze anyone?)  I think LSG’s military experience helps him cope with eating all that ice cream on this show (joking).

Thank you Hong sisters! 

Now that my brain has melted. I’m actually a little bit curious about the teasers. In their past shows, do they tease a lot? Or are they straight shooters?  I’m asking in regards of MW’s child. I have only watched maybe two dramas of theirs. Not convinced it’s just the peddlers grandson. It could also be that I have read too many mystery novels. :wink:

JSM Im proud of you! You finally stopped being scared (somewhat).Love overcomes everythingish. Most likely, episode 19 will be a real killer so I’m preparing myself mentally... by eating more ice cream! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

Okay, final final translation. This is the conversation between MW and OG where OG shows that he's already taken off the geumganggo, and then puts it back on. I don't think there is a separate video clip, so just the translation of their conversation.

MW: Hey, Great Sage, Equal to Heaven! Surprise. I’ve finally found it. I’ve unlocked the secret to the geumganggo. Now you, (grabbing OG’s wrist) will be able to take this off… (sees the geumganggo in OG’s hand) You already took it off.
OG: It just fell off by itself.
MW: Right now, how do you feel? Did you see Sam Jang?
OG: At least, I’ve won over this thing. My heart which didn’t seem like my heart, there was no such thing.
MW: You still love her.
OG: When in the world did it come to be that I would have been able to take this off? (me: he’s asking himself when he fell in love with SM)
MW: From when you threw away the marinade, I thought it was strange.
OG: Was it from then? I guess I will never be able to determine that now.
MW: What’s the point of knowing that when the result is this? (me: he’s indicating OG’s state of being in love even without the geumganggo) You have just put Sam Jang there.
(OG puts the geumganggo back on.)
MW: What are you doing?! Why are you putting it back on?
OG: For her sake.
MW: Sam Jang has been suffering so much wondering whether your love was real or fake. If you told her it was real, she would be so happy.
OG: I saw White Egret’s final choice.
(flashback to the doctor/previous protector as she kills herself: Without him, living alone is too painful.)
OG: If it results in Jin Seon Mi being left by herself, I’m not going to leave love behind. If everything finishes and I’m safe, then in front of her, I’m going to take this off myself (holding up his wrist with the geumganggo on it), and show her.
MW: You always try to act so cool. You’re just a thug and a moron! Huh? The knife that came down, where did you hide it?
OG: Why? Are you going to go around looking for that knife now? Ma Wang, do you love me that much?
MW: That’s enough. Forget it. It was all for nought that I bought that expensive geumganggo and tested it. Ay! You hid that knife at Sureumdong, didn’t you? That’s why you’ve made it so that no one can go to Sureumdong, isn’t it?
OG: Ma Wang, since I won over this thing (indicating the geumganggo), I can win over the dragon as well.

I have to mention how beautiful SM looks in today's episode! OYS looks stunning and sexy in that fitted black dress. Her makeup and earrings are on point! No wonder OG says she "looks even more beautiful." Then he kisses her so passionately and we get the bed scene.

If I were a man, I would definitely want to date her in real life. Why isn't she dating? I really hope LSG and OG do date in real life after this. Please fall in love outside of work! :blush:

• Like 16
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

OG: If it results in Jin Seon Mi being left by herself, I’m not going to leave love behind. If everything finishes and I’m safe, then in front of her, I’m going to take this off myself (holding up his wrist with the geumganggo on it), and show her.
MW: You always try to act so cool. You’re just a thug and a moron! Huh? The knife that came down, where did you hide it?
OG: Why? Are you going to go around looking for that knife now? Ma Wang, do you love me that much?
MW: That’s enough. Forget it. It was all for nought that I bought that expensive geumganggo and tested it. Ay! You hid that knife at Sureumdong, didn’t you? That’s why you’ve made it so that no one can go to Sureumdong, isn’t it?
OG: Ma Wang, since I won over this thing (indicating the geumganggo), I can win over the dragon. 

Don’t want to be a wet blanket but since they put it this way, it really doesn’t bode well. 

I was hoping GGG will only come off on the last episode. By confirming OG’s love so early and him saying that he would tell SJ about his love after he slays the dragon, it does seem that it’s not going to happen. 

I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I've taken to watching with C-subs because waiting one week for Netflix to be done is killing me. TvN and Netflix really need to get their act together in future and harmonize their release dates.

Good Lord! I was about to throw something at my Macbook... Praise God for that last few minutes because I was dying (and screaming inwardly) with frustration. The OTP has been wallowing in a rut the last few episodes. Talk about dragging things out to an art form. Saying the same things using the same words. Sigh... Thank you JSM for being decisive and for breaking the will of the Great Sage. His noble idiocy was just... aaaarrggh... Especially when he found out that he doesn't need the geumganggo anymore. I really wanted to stick another one on him and order him go to SM and tell her everything.

The show is really an overwrought sitcom... I dunno... I just cannot take this life and death stuff seriously. People sitting around drinking alcohol (there's a lot of that going around) chatting about bad people, bad spirits ever so calmly. How can I be convinced of the urgency of what's at stake? Nothing really bad is going to happen. I can't see it. The dragon will make his appearance undoubtedly but death? Sacrifice? I'm more worried that it will all turn out to be an anticlimax. Anyway, Monkey and Piggy might have altered things so the doomsday prognostications might not come to pass in the way previously envisaged.

So the lad working in the magic relics shop is Ma Wang's kid after all. Well, he does take after his dad in the thoroughly untrustworthy department. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree that's for sure. LOL. Well, it will be nice for MW to have someone to play with, to nag at and argue with once OG has his happily ever after somewhere else. A teenage boy who is the chip off the block will be just the thing the doctor ordered.

Episode 17 and the early part of 18 were just frustrating beyond belief. I just felt the show drag on... The whole ASY thing has felt unnecessarily protracted... people going forwards then backwards then forwards then backwards then backwards. Ma Wang was the worst. Certainly Monkey has made the most progress in this show but his desire to protect SM to this point drove me to distraction.

I will say though that the verbal back and forth between MW and OG is truly the highlight of this show. This relationship and its progression is my favourite thing. It easily trumps the OTP for me.

*Arms in defensive position from incoming tomatoes*

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

@40somethingahjumma no need to worry abt tomatoes. What I do like abt the soompi forums is that everyone is mostly friendly and willing to accept various perspectives. I love the OTP but even I felt that ep17 really did drag on. We all watch dramas for different reasons and get different things out of it- so while I loved the OTP development and that JSM actually gets something to do in ep18, it's perfectly ok for you to love it for MW and SOG's bromance instead.

A huge thanks to @kjesin and @stroppyse for faithfully doing the translations- am really grateful to not have to wait 3 days for the subs to come out to understand the dialogue (& given that it's Hong Sisters, there's a LOT of dialogue)

Given all that has happened, I do think that noble idiocy is gg to turn up right at the start of ep19 again. I can imagine a morning after scene where JSM secretly takes the GGG off a sleeping SOG and then bids him farewell tearfully to take on the dragon herself. TBH, up till now, no one has told her that their fate could change.. and even if it could, I think it would require both of them to want to sacrifice (her for the world and SOG; SOG for her). Still holding out for an all-deity ending, although really, the heavens don't seem all that desirable or all that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't care about GGG anymore as it can easily be taken off anyway. Kudos to this drama for finishing every problem within one ep.

mawang and OG bromance is cute of course. But i have no more sympathy left... Mawang has been  acting so reckless and irresponsible all the time. He may served comic reliefs but that's it. He needs to grow up!! Your love isn't better than anyone else .. apparently the world being destroyed is not his business anymore because he is no longer intrested in collecting points.

in ep 17 , i feel like pushing all the characters from the cliff  other than Sunmi and OG

they shouldn't make the otp seperate again cos when they do that, the ratings went down. Everytime the otp come back the rating goes up just like ep 10 which hit 6% again

• Like 7

@dramaalpaca Thank you dear... you're a sweetheart. No I'm not really that worried about being pilloried. Just my sense of humour. :wink: If I were, I wouldn't have hit "post". :D 

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thought Ep. 17 was a bit of a drag. Very frustrating to see that MW going down that road again especially knowing what ASY is like. But still... at least he does care about family enough to be manipulated. The Bull Demon King in JttW was a bit of softie in that regard and easily swayed by conniving women so it's not a great departure from the source material. 

For once though I'd like everybody not to be entirely driven by emotions. :wink:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I don't care about GGG anymore as it can easily be taken off anyway. Kudos to this drama for finishing every problem within one ep.

Sorry to cut your post short. I agree that there is no tension for the audience w.r.t. GGG, but the tension still exists for the characters. SOG knows that he loves JSM with or without GGG, but JSM doesn't know that. She's trying to "empty" herself of her emotions by not having any regrets. I think by now (even tho no one except the Guanyin character ever tells her stuff properly), she is well aware that the fate ends with her death, so all she can do is to make sure SOG doesn't die as well. 

Also, how much do I love the Hong Sisters continuing their metaphor of containers- first they had them talking abt lids and fitting the right containers and now they have them talk abt themselves as containers. I guess erm, they fit really well together :wink:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@40somethingahjumma I also agree on your view that many characters were going backwards . Pk anyone? MW? To the point of me asking, why are they acting like a bunch of idiots? Aren’t they supposed to be immortal with years of experience? I also thought that the GGG had to be resolved pronto. About a few episodes back, before ep 18.

I also think the feel of the show is more comedic. So I’m not really stressing much on the finale. 

I’ll disagree with you somewhat on the OTP. I actually like them as a couple and their banter. I also like the bromance. I like both to tell you the truth. 

Sure the show isn’t perfect. But I got to say that this show will be one of my favs in the end. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hong sisters writing are never perfect actually

i remember one of my fave drama from them "Master Sun" . I practically lost interest from ep 13-16. Luckily they

ended it with a bang...

Sassy Girl Chunhyang is even crazier with the gross villain and another noble idiocy from the female lead. But yeah.. there's something about their writing that made viewers got so attached to the couple. Luckily they have tone down the possesive villain in their recent dramas

Mawang and PK have been very stupid. I wouldn't blame PK cos he isn't the smartest demon from the start. He is so fickle going back and forth btw MW and OG...

i'm gonna take that this ASN as the expert in manipulating feelings and weakness. She knows clearly what are MW, OG, Sunmi, and Pk weaknesses.

luckily both otp aren't eating her nonsense anymore. While Mawang is eating up everything if it involves Princess Iron Fan

ASN could be a great villain if not her power is already taken and she is practically useless now.

i love ghostbusting scenes but you gotra admit that we need a biggee impact that would caused the gate of hell to be opened. Since the evil spirits were said to have arose from humans themselves. This kang dae sung might summon the most dangerous one

• Like 12

hi all..after watching ep 18 I feel like now ASN has realised what she done and what she c=become and she dont like it.She thought she was still the old her. In the end I think its ASN, JSM and SOG fighting the black dragon.

Kuddos to the Hong sisters..honestly from ep 13-16 a bit boring.

• Like 3

I am enjoying this drama because the acting is really good and some of the quirkiness of each character is interesting. The characters are all well developed as individuals. But somehow the plot goes around in curlicues and circles and rivulets. Not a straight forward, just winding and  twisting around, and sometimes just ending up at square one.   I think, here we go again, back to nowhere.  Still the acting and dialogue is good.  I keep watching anyway.   But when it comes to seriously discussing that silly bracelet and what will happen to the monkey king's love, will it disappear or is he truly in love, oy oy oy - It is so darn silly..................:lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, nrbrown said:

@40somethingahjumma

I’ll disagree with you somewhat on the OTP. I actually like them as a couple and their banter. I also like the bromance. I like both to tell you the truth. 

Sure the show isn’t perfect. But I got to say that this show will be one of my favs in the end. 

I don't dislike the OTP at all. On the contrary. :wink: But the push-pull and noble idiocy admittedly drives me bananas. I just wish that they operated on a far more equal footing and that OG doesn't treat SM like she's a porcelain vase. I know she has guts and is made of sterner stuff. She's a survivor but lately I dunno... It's frustrating watching the two of them trying to be martyrs for each other. But the last few minutes of Episode 18 was lovely though... it was the same feeling I had after the book seller arc. :wink:

I think it was always going to be a challenge adapting JttW into a comedy romance. The comedy part is fine... extremely good as a matter of fact but the romance tends to lapse awkwardly in typical K drama style. Frustrating and predictable... which isn't worthy of such an innovative and quirky drama IMO.

I can't take the doomsday stuff seriously no matter how much I try. It's more cartoony than the cartoons I've watched. There's very little doubt in my mind that it'll be a happily ever after.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I am enjoying this drama because the acting is really good and some of the quirkiness of each character is interesting. The characters are all well developed as individuals. But somehow the plot goes around in curlicues and circles and rivulets. Not a straight forward, just winding and  twisting around, and sometimes just ending up at square one.   I think, here we go again, back to nowhere.  Still the acting and dialogue is good.  I keep watching anyway.   But when it comes to seriously discussing that silly bracelet and what will happen to the monkey king's love, will it disappear or is he truly in love, oy oy oy - It is so darn silly..................:lol:

I have not watch ep 17 & 18 with subs, but i agree that the plot is going in circles. They keep dragging on whether to remove the GGG or not for a few eps and the ASN part. I keep thinking why dont they just burn her? Lol. Its gets a bit draggy after ASN possess BJ.

IMO they should overcome this love barrier already and just fight together! and not thinking about sacrificing oneself so that the other live!!

The frustration of being too serious about a drama :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2