[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

I think the scene at the tower will be either SOG reminiscing about the memories they have, or the other way around (Sun Mi). 

To be honest, my own preference would be that Sun Mi fulfilled her mission in the end but did not die, but maybe something happen and she disappears? But our otp would already promise each other that they would find each other again no matter what happens and SOG will wait for her. Something like a second contract (marriage contract, finally?)

It's just that, their story started back when the first contract was made, and SM waited 20+ years before all these happened. So I think it would be fair to have OG wait for her too. (Evil me, I know, sorry). But it won't be too long and then SM appears while maybe keeping her powers/become a deity and then they'll live happily ever after, albeit with the occasional ghost-busting business every once in a while and keeping busy by their monkey babies.

Oh well, I'll just trust the writers. As long as it's a happy ending, I'm happy.

• Like 16

After watching episode 18 raw, and then with subs (I’ll probably watch again on Netflix :D) I’m a little bit conflicted in theorizing about the next episodes. I guess that’s one of the problems or drawbacks with theorizing, finding out the writers didn’t over pass you’re theories  edit; the writers having better plot ideas, etc lol kind of hard to explain. (different expectations?) I don’t know. 

Im conflicted in the ASYN story arc to tell you the truth. IMO there was so much potential..

1. I wish JSM was possessed with  ASYN a little bit more.

2. I wish ASYN kept some of her powers so, that would explain MW and PK’s idiocy. 

3. The zombie fake son in the end was tad bit pointless. Zombie rights? Poor guy. 

4. I also think there isn’t much point in keeping her alive. How can humans summon a black dragon without help from an evil priestess? What? There are plenty of evil priestess who have a bone to pick buried ready to take ASYN’s place? Actually that’s rather cree:ph34r:py.  That’s actually the part that I don’t quite understand at the moment. Or humans can summon it themselves? 

5. It feels like  you order online  a tiger, and receive a kitten instead. 

I guess when you fall in love with a show you see their strengths and weaknesses. Similar to finding a partner. 

:tongue:

Now for being objectively I’ll point out the strengths. 

1. Love the couple. 

2. Love the bromance. 

3. Ghost busting arc was fun. In particularly the bookseller arc. That arc was to me was one of highlights of the show. 

4. The comedy. This part has been the seller. 

5. Love how it can be creepy (the dolls!), comedic, and romantic all in one episode. 

There  is more but I’ll wait until the ending. I’ll try not to theorize. I’ll just eat ice cream instead. 

• Like 10

HI..Good morning, its been a long while joining you guys until Lee Seung Gi came back. I'll start watching it, I just read all your comments concerning episodes flaws.

I can't forget all his memorable dramas which I have copies, his fantasy drama GU Book.

Although, I don't like his hair style in this drama, nevertheless he is one of my favorite.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, immortal_piglet said:

Lol yes i’m all for this twist if “eating” SJ equates to gaining power. 

I really wish the show will adopt a similar plot to the manga “black bird”. In the manga, “eating” the female lead will give the person a lot of energy.

Sorry for cutting some parts. I found you're not the only one finding similarities between the series and the manga. It has a good ending, not tge happiest, but at least everyone stays alive.

Really hope the same here. We don't go after 18eps for a death, missing, reincarnation or separation story line.

Really wishing no noble idiocy. I mean it. And it's only tuesdayyyyy.... i need my preview now... 

• Like 2

I was on a trip during weekend so I couldn’t watch the two episodes but I watched the make out scene :wub::wub: I don’t know how many times.... What I couldn’t understand was why SM was telling SOG I want to throw out what’s inside me at you. After watching episode 17 & 18 everything made sense :) 

I am pretty positive that we gonna have happy ending with the hints in ep 18. Someone mentioned having sex with monk cause the demon gain power and strength right? During the episode SOG and MW talked a lot about the dragon and how strong  it is so SOG needs lots of power... I am just connecting the dots here :D 

also the shop owner woman told SOG that by him willingly loving sm their fate could change right? She also told SM to empty herself of what’s inside. Again here SM chose to pour her love for SOG instead of the other possible interpretation of getting rid of her love for SOG. So I really think both SOG and SM together will overcome the challenge and destroy the devil without sacrificing themselves... their love overcomes anything now :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ohmygosh, how could I miss this the first time I was watching this drama? The video clip that @dvrels made of OG and SM telling each other the taunt "I don't want to. Why should I? How much will you give me? Even for 500 won, I won't." made me watch episode 3 again, and made me realize something about Yuk Gong, Chil Gong, and Pal Gong.

So, I always knew that Yuk Gong was a pun on the fact that Oh Gong could be written numerically as 50 (like his car plates), whereas Yuk Gong can be written numerically as 60. Chil Gong is 70 and Pal Gong is 80. However, the pun actually goes further. Yuk Gong, Chil Gong and Pal Gong are stuffed hand puppets! So, their full names are Son Yuk Gong, Son Chil Gong, and Son Pal Gong. "Son" can also be a Korean word meaning "hand". So, the hand puppet aspect is a play on Son Oh Gong's last name even as their given names are a play on Son Oh Gong's first name. ROFLOL.

For everyone who already realized this, my apologies for spewing on the thread. I just burst out laughing as I was watching episode 3, and so had to write. I'm re-watching some of the earlier episodes while waiting for the next episode. :)

Also, since we've seen Yuk Gong and Chil Gong, I wonder when we'll see Pal Gong. :D 

1 hour ago, parenicossu said:

Not sure if anyone already posted anything about this.

But.. what if? ㅋㅋㅋ

Hide contents

This was so intentionally obvious LMAO

My eyes nearly popped out

I guess they had to do something to make their relationship clearer~

Edited by Chellsee
Please do not quote images/gifs. Thanks.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Ohmygosh, how could I miss this the first time I was watching this drama? The video clip that @dvrels made of OG and SM telling each other the taunt "I don't want to. Why should I? How much will you give me? Even for 500 won, I won't." made me watch episode 3 again, and made me realize something about Yuk Gong, Chil Gong, and Pal Gong.

So, I always knew that Yuk Gong was a pun on the fact that Oh Gong could be written numerically as 50 (like his car plates), whereas Yuk Gong can be written numerically as 60. Chil Gong is 70 and Pal Gong is 80. However, the pun actually goes further. Yuk Gong, Chil Gong and Pal Gong are stuffed hand puppets! So, their full names are Son Yuk Gong, Son Chil Gong, and Son Pal Gong. "Son" can also be a Korean word meaning "hand". So, the hand puppet aspect is a play on Son Oh Gong's last name even as their given names are a play on Son Oh Gong's first name. ROFLOL.

For everyone who already realized this, my apologies for spewing on the thread. I just burst out laughing as I was watching episode 3, and so had to write. I'm re-watching some of the earlier episodes while waiting for the next episode. :)

Also, since we've seen Yuk Gong and Chil Gong, I wonder when we'll see Pal Gong. :D 

Seriously? Hahahaha, maybe you're not really pay attention to that part, that is why you missing it and just realized it now, haha. Looks like we're not gonna see Pal Gong, but we gonna see Oh Gong Junior hahaha

About OYS and LSG distance in the bed scene, some said it was passionless but I don't think so, the kiss explain everything. The kiss before they go to the bed, woah that was hot, how finally OG embrace SM and continue kissing very hot :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dvrels said:

Seriously? Hahahaha, maybe you're not really pay attention to that part, that is why you missing it and just realized it now, haha. Looks like we're not gonna see Pal Gong, but we gonna see Oh Gong Junior hahaha

About OYS and LSG distance in the bed scene, some said it was passionless but I don't think so, the kiss explain everything. The kiss before they go to the bed, woah that was hot, how finally OG embrace SM and continue kissing very hot :D

To be honest, I wasn't as taken with this drama in the early episodes, so I probably wasn't watching that closely. It was entertaining, but a little over the top, plus the animal noise sound effects, e.g. cow mooing for MW, dog barking for Sec Ma, pig oinking for PK, were a little distracting and off-putting. 

I'm fine seeing OG Jr. rather than Pal Gong, though perhaps Pal Gong could be in the crib with OG Jr. to hang out with him when his parents are a bit busy?

As for OYS and LSG distance in the bed scene, they probably needed that distance in order to not get a 19+ rating since the kisses themselves were so passionate. :)

1 hour ago, corleone said:

i hope they will reveal when SOG realised he loves SM.

During his conversation with MW near the end of episode 18, OG himself was wondering when his love had become real, and he said with a tinge of regret that he will probably never know. Though through the magic of television dramas, perhaps they can show us even if OG himself isn't sure. OG definitely did not love SM when he first put on the geumganggo, even though SM piqued his curiosity with her determination to live despite not having any family, friends, or lovers, rather than be eaten by him or dead in any other expedient way.

1 hour ago, corleone said:

i hope they will reveal when SOG realised he loves SM.

He himself does not know but we do. It began from episode 5 when he saved her from the movie then it strengthened in episode 6 when she asked him if he still finds her pretty when the GGG was frozen. It was after that that he started feeling strange and thought he was getting a cold. And when Jonathan entered the picture, he was a goner. When he pretended that he no longer loved her(when she turned normal), his love and anguish was all real. 

BTW do you guys think we will get a wedding? I really really want them to have a wedding.:wub:

Oh and in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, the same logic was used as with GGG. The one who wanted to find it would get the stone but one who wanted to have it couldn't.

• Like 11

Hong sisters kept teasing us with bed scenes and gave us a satisfying one so i hope they will also keep their promise with the wedding.

It's contract that can't be broken u know!!!!!!! 

@stargazer187 because of your post i want to watch ep 18 again lol.. and this has to stop!! Once i press the play button, i'm gonna end up replaying the last scene for idk how many times already  -_-

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

How should I express how I love episode 18? It finally gives what we've been wondering for the whole episodes! And the answer given is totally satisfying! The subs waiting is really killing me. But watching it after such a long wait is like having fresh water in a desert.  I'll rant super long from now on .

My thoughts on ep 17-18

After that depressing moment in ep 17, my heart  hurts so much with SM after SOG told her that they can't meet each other after GGG taken off. And look how ungrateful MW and how dare he tried to eat SM?? Goshhh.. I hate MW so much in ep 17!!! But yeah... I'm such a simply minded person, seeing how he feels so bad because SOG isn't around, and how much he loves and cares SOG, he tried to help OG with his GGG experiment. MW, I'll forgive you since you might be too naive to believe what ASN lied to you.

Again I cried with SM so much with that drunk confession scene. I am not typical person who easily to shed tears, but SM did it to me. I feel her pain... It always this sad since ever she's with that hurt eyes from episode 1. OYS, I admit, very great and so sincere with the feeling she delivered. Such a great acting!

Seems like they really go to reveal that the grandson is MW's child. I like how they give that short meaningful moment to make me believe this twist. When he called him as "ahjussi" both shared a son finds his father look-like. 

What I love the most from ep 18:

Hide contents

1. Whooaa.. who can predict that GGG is that easily be taken off with that simple way. Just like how those children soul can get away from the book demon, this GGG can be taken off once it wasn't seen as shackle. It's off when his love is sincere. Gah... the feels... brilliant twist writers! It is just logically accepted and pretty wise. The moment he takes it off while follows SM behind and his feeling remain or grows even bigger and deeper towards her. Ohhhh ... that moment is super saddd but very beautiful in the same time.

Hide contents

2. SM empties her feeling to OG, well, for that long she held back her feelings, this time she starts showering all her love for him now. Goshh,the moment of her first "saranghae" to him and how he reacts to it, it's so gold! Their eyes speaks how much the love feeling they have each other. SM pays back all those love confessions he want her to say all this time. And their kisses. Whoahh.. I lost count on how many times I reply it over and over. Lol.  Such a pretty long kisses and passionate. Both LSG and OYS has such a great chemistry that out off the chart. They kiss sincerely. Sighh.. why they end it there??? Don't tell me that they will resume it with other scene next week! I can see the baby will come soon! hahahaha. Ooohh.. I must stop being over analyzing this, it turned me to be such a pervert  lol.

3. I love seeing SM starts to act to be that cool again, yay! I love when she acts cold and blatantly confront ASN or warns KDS. Glad she finds the truth of BJ's killer.

4. When SM asked OG to turn the star candy to put together with the other real stars on sky. Aw.. that's not just literally as words saying but he indeed make it to be one of the star for her. How sweet! What else do I have to add here, later.. for now those what I remember. Haha

Okay... so now our heroes only have to deal with their deadly fate and here I wish to a fairy tale happy ending for them all. Writers seem to listen our previous prayers somehow. And I hope once again they'll grant us with the most happy ending with lots of kisses and babies. Lol

With SJ's lotus scent is getting stronger now, she doesn't need to shed her blood anymore just to let the scent out. Isn't this will attract those evil spirits to come at her easily as what her fate comes near her. I expect for a grand fight in the apocalypse before we get all HEA final.

Hide contents

You know I just feeling how those great early trailers seems pretty intense and cool. It's so wasted if they don't give this one like for the final battle. 

And here are some positive thoughts to happy ending we all wish for.

1. The paddler said to SOG "since you yourself escaped from the control of the geumganggo. In that case, the deadly fate and heaven's plan could all come to pass differently. Ahh.. I see the light of hope in her words!

2. SOG said "after everything over and when I am safe, that time I take this off myself and show to her." Also he added "I am able to defeat this then I 'm able to defeat the dragon too" . So reassuring!

I get it why he put the GGG back on his wrist. If SM was in danger, he can sense it right away since his heart hurting can alarm him of her safety. This is not just his noble idiocy, he's plausibly so logical doing this. Ahhh... I want they have log duration for next two  final episodes! I don't want this to end soon!! 

Sorry for this very long essay.

Dear stargazer187,

though it is a long essay, i do read by sentence and i do agree with every of it❤️ Regarding your positive thoughts, I’m voting for each one it. I’m trying to voice the same thing to my friends but no one agree with me. Sad story here lol! Thanks

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

Guys the beginning scene of ep 18, when OG mention he needs to watch My Golden Life and because he is busy he wasn't able to watch Yoon Kitchen, so he has to catch up. KDS face when he heard that really make me wanna laugh. KDS must think "How could the owner of a large company saying this?" Hahaha

*Did anyone find this scene funny too? Or it's just me? lol

• LOL 12

8 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Just want to add more, I think, he likes her since he meet her again, he might think her as his prey at first, but look he even fix her broken umbrella, and protected her all night.

And also, I think he start to think of her since she told him that she waited for him for 25 years desperately even she knows clearly that he won't come for her, he amazed on how cool she is after seeing her with such devotion to her life.

I love this quote of JSM, it is likely to tell the awareness of people about suicide which much happens frequently in SK.

I thought soo, OG has uneasy feeling after Sun Mi said she was waiting for him desperately for last 25 years. Since then he thought about her more. And every time Sun Mi said she was happy to spend time with him as family friend and lover and even thank him while he had bad intention that make him fall for her deeply (of course without realizing it) that is why he turn on the light of the Christmas tree for Sun Mi to enjoy before she leaves

I like that quote too, very touching. OG even amazed by SM willingness to live even her life is not beautiful but full of sad

• Like 5

Hmm.. since the shop owner grandma said Sunmi is a special human being and she can choose hew own fate

i hope there will be something that makes her want to change this sacrificing fate and survive no matter what. 

Shouldn't she know about OG's true feelings even without the GGG? If she knows she won't want to leave him broken like the doctor

• Like 1