[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

3 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

There is a missing puzzle piece into that marriage that likely will be revealed later on. I thought their estrangement was because of their child's death but that is not the case. There must be something else then..

yes i guess we need more insights into their past life.. i also thought they have a deceased child at first, suddenly BAM, the kid comes out of nowhere.. studying abroad... (probably the writers change their mind about using a traumatic death in a family reason)... 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, snowdragon09 said:

Hi all. I'm new to this thread (made an account just for this !!) B)

PDH and JA really..really..awaken my wild imagination..

I'm going crazy bcos they don't even touch each other yet we could feel the definite affection between them :wub:

Definitly you got many supporter here:)

Who belong to love and want beloved.faighting!:blush:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Should a writer be pressured on how the characters should end up?  Is there a romance. Should there be romance?

No doubt about good excellent writing for this drama and the lines are on point but I think the writer  getting feedback and seeing viewers reactions, I feel  the writer's dilemma.  There are several options how the relationships for each characters should be and they can't seem to decide ( I think).  It should what's best for the characters and  not what viewers think would be best for the characters. And they say this is comedy ( I read somewhere pd says it's actually a comedy) but  viewers don't see it that way after 8 episodes.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

pls don't stress that's why we call our shipper discussion delusions. Probably by next week all of the delulu talk will end unless the PD does something again:rolleyes:

@timidjock0819 like I said, I'd be very happy if they ride the train, sitting without any distance between them.......

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Is it possible that in the end Ji-An refused the 10 million and thus putting herself out there as Joon Yoong's new target?  Doesn't matter what kind of love, it is sacrificial love.  Or is the song a foreshadow for the ending? That Ji An would ultimately sacrifice herself for DH and by the act earns herself a trip back to her "beautiful home in the stars?"  

Yeah a feel ya.......Or maybe it could mean a release from the things that are bugging them down in life.Freedom, of the alive variety.  Honestly, i don't expect an ending where everything is tied up in a neat bow, and everybody is happy. Realistically, i don't know if all of these things can be resolved in the next four weeks.

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

She mentioned that people have often helped her in the past, even repeatedly, but her cynicism wouldn't let her acknowledge the act as true kindness, until DH pointed it out to her.  So yeah, there is something beyond kindness in DH.

The scary thing is DH himself thinking that he has been fortunate so far not to have run into any temptation.  He himself is not sure how he would react when real temptation comes. It would be verrrry interesting to see if JA would intensify their interaction.  

Yeah, i want things to get a little bit more intense between Ji An and DH. I want to see a situation where DH is tempted. Even if DH doesn't give in to the temptation, i want to be able to say " He resisted the temptation in the end, but boy was he tempted" or "I can see why he gave in, it was the first time he was thus tempted"...you know to switch things up a bit.

The situation hasn't changed, you just start to justify it in you head " Is it okay now, because now will just say i'm pitiful" " No, it is a thank you dinner" until you stop justifying it..."did the pretty girl come?".

The friendship or romance debate:

Why can't it be a healing friendship? True. Why can't it be a healing romance? Also true. Why aren't his current friendships healing him? Why isn't his current romance (his marriage) healing him? is it the label or the person?

Ji An : Fighting!

DH: Fighting!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, chickfactor said:

These are the lyrics that Jung-Hee quoted when Dong-Hoon said that Ji-An keeps being reborn because this is not her home:

미워하는 미워하는 미워하는 마음없이
아낌없이 아낌없이 사랑을 주기만 할 때
수백만송이 백만송이 백만송이 꽃은 피고
그립고 아름다운 내 별 나라로
갈 수 있다네

Without any hate in the heart

when you give love without any reservation

a million flowers will bloom

and to my beautiful home in the stars

I can return

I think that answers the question: What is Ji-An going to do? And... is this romantic love?

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Is it possible that in the end Ji-An refused the 10 million and thus putting herself out there as Joon Yoong's new target?  Doesn't matter what kind of love, it is sacrificial love.  Or is the song a foreshadow for the ending? That Ji An would ultimately sacrifice herself for DH and by the act earns herself a trip back to her "beautiful home in the stars?"  

@chickfactor Thank you for the lyrics of the song. Now if TVN can release the Breathe OST by next week coz I want to know the lyrics of that one:wub:

All the talk about meta-physical, big moon, reborn, stars etc.. They mean something coz this PD loves to put strings and will eventually tie them down in a nice neat bow by the end. When Jian was introduced there is a sense that she will be a tragic character. She is living her life recklessly by the moment in survival mode. Likely this is not the first time she conned people and used them for her interest.  We don't know her full backstory as of yet. With the rate she is going, Jian may not make it past her 20's. 

Dong Hoon is the same way. He carried too much weight by sacrificing and living life for his family. The heavy breathing and expensive underwear are a foreshadow of a likely dark end.  DH's mother cried on episode 7 about him accepting everything without complaints. By the rate he is going, DH won't also make it past his 40's

We are all discussing here about them healing with a happy future but what if both Jian and Dong Hoon are only living by the moment and does not have a lot of time left. This drama is still  in the genre of gritty and dark so it might follow that trajectory. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Somehow I get the feeling that when women cheat, it's being forgiven way more easily than men do. Also, when women cheat it's written with a  more favorable attitude towards them. Like in this one, we see that there have been talks about how yoon hee was forced to/ had no other choice but to have an extramarital affair since dong hoon wasn't there for her[ although we don't know yet what's her reason]. But interestingly, in another current show 'pretty noona who buys me food' we see Jina's ex boyfriend cheats on her for no reason whatsoever. He just cheats on her just cause he wants to. There isn't any underlying reason like how it's portrayed on my ahjussi..

I bring out this topic because it's interesting that how both in this show and LSK's previous show 'this week my wife is having an affair', we see the wife cheats on the husband because apparently, he wasn't there for her when she was juggling everything alone. But somehow after observing yoon hee since day 1 I felt like she is just bored with the way she has been living her life and she wants to enjoy luxury at present. Like how she and DJY used to spend times in hotel, enjoy exquisite meals in fine dinings, went on bonfire picnics, all of it gives me the feeling that she wants to enjoy her life in a different way that dong hoon does. That's why she pushes dong hoon to start his own business rather than going to the same slaughterhouse like office every day. Also the more we dive into the scenes the more it becomes clear that dong hoon and yoon hee are two different people. They have different mentality. And of course it's fine that yoon hee wants different things in life, people have their own priorities. Just that, it somehow seems lazy writing to me that writer would also choose the same old gap of communication as the reason for their growing apart, rather than giving us something more realistic. Women also do extramarital because they get bored just like men. Like I loved what lollypip from dramabeans said in her recap section, 'that she likes the fact that DJY hates DH for no specific reason, he just hates him'. They didn't have any history. So likewise it would have been more compelling to see that YH has her own reason to fall out of love with dong hoon.

I also liked what one commenter said some pages back about the reason for dong hoon and yoon hee's growing distance. While dong hoon doesn't want to be a director, to him money or status isn't the most important factor in life. He just wants to do his work well, doing what he loves the most, like how he longingly stares at the design office every day on his way to the construction section. Compared to that, for yoon hee that's not the case. She wants success in a more materialistic sense so that's why she pushes her husband to do something that will bring more profit. She's a professional and is more dedicated to her career from a practical point of view. So I can see why they don't work together. Same mindset is important when you're married to a person, so you can have a common point of interest somewhere. For this couple sadly no reason such that exists. 

Having said that, I hope people don't reach the conclusion that I want dong hoon to be separated or such lol [ I am not trying to promote any May-October relationship :D ]. I'm just giving my two cents. He does seem like a defeated person and will stay in this marriage for the sake of his child, but I would have loved him to do the things he really wants to do apart from doing things just because he has always been his mother's obedient child. 

Sometimes, it's better to let people go so that they can be loved by the right person for them, so for that reason, I felt yoon hee needs to start her own journey anew. Same for dong hoon. 

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Having said that, I hope people don't reach the conclusion that I want dong hoon to be separated or such lol [ I am not trying to promote any May-October relationship :D ]. I'm just giving my two cents. He does seem like a defeated person and will stay in this marriage for the sake of his child, but I would have loved him to do the things he really wants to do apart from doing things just because he has always been his mother's obedient child. 

Sometimes, it's better to let people go so that they can be loved by the right person for them, so for that reason, I felt yoon hee needs to start her own journey anew. Same for dong hoon. 

yes it is better that way... at this stage of their marriage life, I think they are not right for each other, there is no effort / sparks / chemistry between them.. 

if they are to be separated hopefully it's for the best for both of them to have their own ways of life/journey.. 

however if this affair incident managed to jolt their dying hearts and somehow open a sealed communication stuffed all these years, all the best for them, I hope they can remember why they fall in love and decided to get married in the first place.. 

I just hope the ending of this drama won't be ambiguous where the viewer have to decide and surrender to self imagination... 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

She mentioned that people have often helped her in the past, even repeatedly, but her cynicism wouldn't let her acknowledge the act as true kindness, until DH pointed it out to her.  So yeah, there is something beyond kindness in DH.

The scary thing is DH himself thinking that he has been fortunate so far not to have run into any temptation.  He himself is not sure how he would react when real temptation comes. It would be verrrry interesting to see if JA would intensify their interaction.  

It's more than kindness being exhibited that attracted her. I guess it's more like the energy that they get from each other. She has the inkling of wanting to be a good person and DH wants to fight more and not just accept things. They were two dead rocks before but now in synchrony together, it produces fire that can potentially change the course of their lives. 

I think Jian will intensify that interaction and it will not be clear what's her motive because it may be more than money. She is imperfect that's why we love her. The agreement with JYD will happen coz it will keep the drama interesting. I mean we still have 8 episodes to go and it will be good for the ratings too. Aside from the money, Jian is also curious if DH likes her as a woman as JYD suggested. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

I don't think it would have made a difference whichever leading man. This show will still receive hate because of IU's mass popularity  and her haters will spread endless lies no matter what. As much as IU is well loved in Korea, many antis also wants to take her down. Price of fame I guess. 

I am sure My Ajusshi viewers are enjoying and are giggly too. The show was able to retain the core audience and ratings are increasing so far. It broke the 6% according to news portals. I guess Koreans don't mind the ambiguous relationship of DH and Jian:).  In terms of the backlash, it looks like TVN and the production is already expecting it since last year and prepared well for it. Just my two cents but devoted IU fans should start defending this show from haters as if there is already a possible love line written despite the news conference. Unless if they have a copy of the entire script until episode 16, the story could turn and have a different ending. I mean what are they going to do if writer Park and PD Kim will decide to join the shipper delulu island on later episodes? This is still a Kim Won Suk drama and he is no push over in terms of his artistry. He wouldn't care about backlash from haters. Why absolutely deny something if you are not 100% sure about how the ending will be written? 

I completely agree that KWS isn’t some push over and I’ve realized all of the backlash stems from knetz’s double standards and biases towards certain actors. Another popular actor ( my other hot ajusshi) was in a drama that had a love line with a much younger girl but it didn’t seem to garner any backlash due to that fact that the story was done in a tasteful way and the actor was very beloved by knetz.

MA is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t judge a book by its covers! Honestly, it’s so hard not to look at the romantic/relationship aspect between the two leads bc they have this quiet understanding of one another that is imho more romantic than any back hugs in any dramas bc it’s more realistic and endearing. 

Also, imo there is no such thing as a platonic relationship between a man and a women. There’s either attraction or no attraction, that’s what I’ve learned a long time ago.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere in my unconsciousness..I just want to kidnap park dong hoon and jian, put them into an unknown island, and let them cherish each other's life. But reality comes back, and it hurts.

Jian is undeniably, clearly, madly in love with him. At least in my eyes.

• Like 8
  • LOL 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nearsea said:

42 minutes ago, dvdwyn said:

however if this affair incident managed to jolt their dying hearts and somehow open a sealed communication stuffed all these years, all the best for them, I hope they can remember why they fall in love and decided to get married in the first place.. 

If they can bring spark together and heal, then more power to DH and YH for keeping their marriage. I think the majority of us here won't have any problems with that..The trouble is DH was easy to forgive the affair as if he could easily tolerate and overlook it. So that means whatever broke their marriage must be something more hurtful and unforgivable. Starting a new beginning and cutting ties are sometimes a good form of healing too. If a marriage brings out the worst in you and is toxic, then you must save yourself first.

@nearsea only in kdramas that women who have affairs are given a free pass-_-. Another attempt to cater to the female fantasy. In real world, society is so judgmental and husbands are unforgiving towards women that are adulterers. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

@chickfactor Thank you for the lyrics of the song. Now if TVN can release the Breathe OST by next week coz I want to know the lyrics of that one:wub:

All the talk about meta-physical, big moon, reborn, stars etc.. They mean something coz this PD loves to put strings and will eventually tie them down in a nice neat bow by the end. When Jian was introduced there is a sense that she will be a tragic character. She is living her life recklessly by the moment in survival mode. Likely this is not the first time she conned people and used them for her interest.  We don't know her full backstory as of yet. With the rate she is going, Jian may not make it past her 20's. 

Dong Hoon is the same way. He carried too much weight by sacrificing and living life for his family. The heavy breathing and expensive underwear are a foreshadow of a likely dark end.  DH's mother cried on episode 7 about him accepting everything without complaints. By the rate he is going, DH won't also make it past his 40's

We are all discussing here about them healing with a happy future but what if both Jian and Dong Hoon are only living by the moment and does not have a lot of time left. This drama is still  in the genre of gritty and dark so it might follow that trajectory. 

Yes, they keep pointing out 'reincarnation / rebirth' in conversations about their bad circumstances in the present ('what have I done to deserve this life?'). I think it means that in the end, when DH 'forgives' or does not have hate for JY, and Ji-An does not hate Kwang-il or his father, they can live in the present and have one life and guarantee that they are not born again. Something like that. Let go off hate and live an unburdened life and live once. How they do that? I have no idea! How does one forgive or 'un-hate' guys like JY and Kwang-il?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, joowonie said:

I completely agree that KWS isn’t some push over and I’ve realized all of the backlash stems from knetz’s double standards and biases towards certain actors. Another popular actor ( my other hot ajusshi) was in a drama that had a love line with a much younger girl but it didn’t seem to garner any backlash due to that fact that the story was done in a tasteful way and the actor was very beloved by knetz.

MA is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t judge a book by its covers! Honestly, it’s so hard not to look at the romantic/relationship aspect between the two leads bc they have this quiet understanding of one another that is imho more romantic than any back hugs in any dramas bc it’s more realistic and endearing. 

Also, imo there is no such thing as a platonic relationship between a man and a women. There’s either attraction or no attraction, that’s what I’ve learned a long time ago.

Were you talking about Gong Yoo and Goblin by any chance?  So popularity matters.  Do you also think that Kim Go Eun, not being an idol, just did not bring out the antis/overprotective immature fans the way IU's idol status did?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, snowdragon09 said:

Hi all. I'm new to this thread (made an account just for this !!) B)

PDH and JA really..really..awaken my wild imagination..

I'm going crazy bcos they don't even touch each other yet we could feel the definite affection between them :wub:

Welcome to soompi!!! And a place called shipper delulu island, where banana milk and pineapple bread is all you can eat :D I’m so glad you made an account and I look forward to your fellow shippers imagination :) 

4 hours ago, noor1 said:

@timidjock0819 like I said, I'd be very happy if they ride the train, sitting without any distance between them.......

Haha chingu glad to know you’re a  fellow shipper you too! Sorry for misunderstanding your previous post, my reply was general and mostly directed to the posters here that favor a platonic and non sexual dynamic between the leads.

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

But when she finds the other pair is in the glove compartment of her car will she not wonder why it was put there and who put it there? What if she will know that her husband went to the campsite where the Chairman was camping? Will she feign ignorance or will then confront husband? I hope for an all-out confrontation and DH to yell like he did with JY 

I think YH will react with a sense of betrayal (karmaaaaaa) when she discovers that DH is now aware about the affair and told JY to break up with her. I would love for there to immediately be a confrontation and as you said, DH finally releases all his pent up anger and vents to her. But I could see YH not immediatrly confronting him kinda like how DH feigned ignorance. However DH did say he would know when she knows (but will you really when you didn’t know how to your wife was cheating?) so maybe she will go immediately and confront him after finding out. Then in this case I could see YH with divorce papers already signed when she confronts DH which is the tip of the iceberg for hm and blows up 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Haha chingu glad to know you’re a  fellow shipper you too! Sorry for misunderstanding your previous post, my reply was general and mostly directed to the posters here that favor a platonic and non sexual dynamic between the leads.

No, @noor is not a shipper, but I've enjoyed reading her thoughts just the same.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

No, @noor is not a shipper, but I've enjoyed reading her thoughts just the same.

Oh! And same here, her being shipper or not doesn’t affect me enjoying reading her and everyone here’s posts. Honestly you all are the reason I’m not scared about how the story will end whether it’s tragic, happy or open ended, at least I will have you all here to discuss with so I’m not alone. Thank you guys and I have enjoyed reading everyone’s input because you’ve all made me think even more deeply about the show than I ever could have by myself.

• Like 4

Hello Everyone here... i am new on this thread. and started watching My Ahjussi just yesterday and marathoned 8 episode in 2 days. And now i am only thinking abt this drama, its future possibilities, DH learning to stand up for himself and JA learning to trust someone else other than herself.

DH - JA's combo feels lock n key together who do not know their own worth apart but together they motivate other by give guidance (DH to JA abt her grandmom) and by just "fighting" which was much more than just one word for DH (we see that one word kept him going during one lowest moment). 

i love these together but not sure if their story is going for any romantic turn in near future or eventually... still i am open to any turn that will give these 2 broken n shattered souls some happiness, peace and love.

Besides this i have one speculation from my side as a result of my mind's non stop thinking abt My Ahjussi and all if's and but's and how's.

below is my hypothetical analysis...

1. Reference to Ji An's talk to Dong Hoon as to why she keeps on reincarnated when she does not want to (thats what i can recall) again and again come back to earth.

2. She has hate for every wealthy people, as she tells this to her grandmother that all wealthy people becomes good. And also i feel she hates everyone around (thats what my perception is about her)

3. Jung Hee tells Dong Hoon the reason of JA's reincarnation again and again. and tells him that "only when someone has no shred of hate for anyone they go to the home on beautiful stars".

*i am writing this with tons of burden on my heart and with hope that it doesn't happen*

And i related this to Ji An's situation. 
DH's company will influence her to redeem herself and that way all her hatred towards society will melt away into thin air. She will learn to handle life on DH's guidance n support.
And then (MA being a melodrama) can it be possible that Ji An will be killed while saving Dong Hoon from Kwang Il or Joon Young. And as she will not have any hatred left she will finally be saved from this cycle of incarnation.

*again i am myself not satisfied with this hypothesis and dont want it to happen but all the references to Re-incarnation, Going back to starry home, having no shred of hate keeps on echoing in my mind and i couldn't let it go.*

over to you all.

*sorry for one veryyy long post... i didn't realize it while typing*

• Like 13

Hello! :) 

I will say this again for the last time: I enjoy very much dramas without loveline and with friendship between man and woman (for exemple: Forest of Secrets - one of the best kdrama ever, imo!); I don't think that romance is mandatory in drama, I even find that in some dramas, where the main theme wasn't love, writers spoil their own work when forcibly they put romance in it.  

However, when I feel romance in a story, I want to see a love story. Sometimes it suffice to me to have a subtil loveline, where love is more unconscious than conscious, and nothing is explicit (as in MY). As I said, it is my feeling, and feelings are mostly subjectives. And this is just an opinion that has no intention (or pretentiousness) to change others. 

That said, how can I take what PDnim says seriously, when he said: It is a comedy, when we are seeing/feeling a melodrama and we are now afraid of a tragedy at the end? When he said "comedy" and whe see/feel "melodrama", I think I can feel myself authorized to keep feeling (even seeing) romance in My Ajusshi when he says "no romance". :wink: 

• Like 10
  • LOL 5