[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 9/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, sadiesmith said:

As for the yellow markings on the road leading to the "sewer cover," I wonder if all of these are not just for product placement for this chicken restaurant. 

I checked the ending credits of the episode and didn't see anything like Cuckoo chicken as an advertiser. This looks like a local shop, so unless PDnim was being generous with advertising space.... The main reason why I noticed this scene is because PDH stomps on that cover with such finality, I just had to. It was almost like a military march the way he stopped on it.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:57 PM, akhenaten said:

So to those who want to "get over" MA,  I would say you will have to accept the fact that you will never get over it. But if you keep MA in its rightful place among dramas (which is way up there) and lower your expectations a bit with the rest,  or even get into them with no expectations at all,  then you'll somehow get to enjoy other dramas. But of course MA will always be special. Nothing can compare,  really.  :)

You're right, nothing can compare, especially this year.

I have been able to move on for most part, enjoyed a few dramas while anticipating some upcoming ones, but there's still a hold the tentacles of My Mister have on a corner of my heart that I cannot reach to yank out. That's what keeps me on this page on Soompi. I check other drama forums, but the default page on my browser is this forum. Plus the fansite. :) 

MA will always be in the deepest part of my heart reserved for it. 

Hopefully Boyfriend and Fates and Fury can deliver melo I need to end the year because I am always ready to be emotionally wrecked.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:01 PM, t123han said:

So when did he buy her so many meals ???? Is the director hinting that they must have met which was not shown to the viewer, the same way we hear from recording later on that they both had more intimate conversations than what was portrayed on screen. 

I think they had more meals than were shown in the drama. When Gangster is listening to the audio recordings (ep15 or 16), he hears a conversation that JA and PDH had about him that we had not seen  in preceding episodes. I can safely assume that it is the same case with the unseen dinners.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:49 PM, sadiesmith said:

http://picbear.online/tag/나의아저씨촬영지

What has this drama done to me?  Why does seeing these sites, especially the rail tracks, make me all choked up?

Seeing those pics has reactivated my desire to return to Seoul... i'll have to do so, and visit as many sites from this drama as possible. Just as soon as I get back to work life.

EDIT: I am not sure what this person was smoking... or if we were even watching the same drama, but I know that we cannot be friends....lol

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/my-ajusshi/33686-anyone-else-this-this-is-overrated

• Like 8

8 hours ago, africandramalover said:

EDIT: I am not sure what this person was smoking... or if we were even watching the same drama, but I know that we cannot be friends....

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/my-ajusshi/33686-anyone-else-this-this-is-overrated

Oooooo... one more link to follow :) 

anyways anyone who has watched this drama have formed strong opinions on the ending. They belong to 3 categories - shippers ( 90% people on this site) , non shippers and ones who  basically agree that the protagonist has romantic feelings but don’t support that idea. 

But  you cannot argue that even if people belong to any of this category, each one of them have had taken away something . All of them have felt strong affection towards this drama. How can you not ?? It was a human story at its core which showed how to be happy , no matter what your situation is there is hope. If this drama is average , than 90% of kdrama are ton load of .....

On other news , something in rain has won some hallyu drama of the year awards and I am pretty angry about it . 

So ladies and gentleman , just forget about MA getting any recognition in these drama awards. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 9/3/2018 at 11:07 AM, widala said:

This forum is so quite now... :(

Has everyone move on?

Spoiler

Here's some treat for you guys

Park Dong Hoon's super rare smile :wub:

Haven't moved on. Heading to Korea next week, and I'll be visiting a couple of the MA locations. Wish me luck in finding the spots!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Haven't moved on. Heading to Korea next week, and I'll be visiting a couple of the MA locations. Wish me luck in finding the spots!

How fun!  I have to say I haven't really had the desire to visit South Korea until this show, and definitely now after working on the location posts.  Hope you find the rail tracks, the bridges, Ji An's house, Jung Hee's bar, etc.

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/06/my-mister-filming-locations/

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

How fun!  I have to say I haven't really had the desire to visit South Korea until this show, and definitely now after working on the location posts.  Hope you find the rail tracks, the bridges, Ji An's house, Jung Hee's bar, etc.

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/06/my-mister-filming-locations/

I've been to Seoul 3 times, last 2 occasions for media trips. Never felt the urge to return (I've always favoured Japan over S.Korea). But My Mister's a game-changer. I now see Seoul in a different light. Let's see how it goes with this trip; hoping I can find some MA fan-made merchandise. 

• Like 7

Thanks @widala and @oldschooler for your kind words. MA still touches my spirit. @widala I'll give my male perspective on why I think DH has romantic feelings for JA.

This was a difficult thing to tackle. I had never really considered DH's romantic thoughts towards JA. I just saw the chemistry/electricity between the two and just took it for granted. And being a 'shipper' fool that I am, I just wanted DH to like/love JA. Then, as a male viewer it is always nice to see the guy get the girl. Long ago in the Jdrama 'Itsuka mata aeru' I saw the first Asian drama where it focused on the male lead not getting the girl but losing out to the other male character. I just finished watching 'Because this is my first life' and somehow I thought MA was going to be like this drama with a serious, nerdy male lead and the lively female character somehow bringing him out of his shell.

I think for many males you think about physical attraction at first. According to many of the Directors or other higher-up employees JA is 'not pretty'. Then JA's personality comes into play as her co-workers find her rude and cold. Then her education is mentioned. She didn't finish school. So, what does DH like about JA? I think it started out as a fascination. He is intrigued by her. She isn't dressed warmly. She steals coffee from the office. She kills ladybugs! She is the opposite of him. He wouldn't steal, he brings shopping carts back to the store (and pays for items taken by JA?). He dresses appropriately for the weather. He tries to save the small living creature. Opposites attract?! But I also feel DH sees the similarities between her cold exterior and his empty life. Does he just want to help her as a boss and good person and in doing so he might help himself too? So I get the mentor/mentee thing that some people see at this point. Maybe DH does find her physically attractive. He eyes her ankles. Does he have a thing for ankles?! Or maybe he likes her neck. JA always has her hair tied back at the office. But of course DH finds JA to be pretty. He said so himself!

Then DH admits that JA is 'someone who knows me'. And that makes him sad. Is he sad because he lives such a pitiful life? Or is he sad because he doesn't present a better version of himself to a woman/love interest? Is it both? I would be thrilled to meet someone who 'gets me'. But it would be sad to think that person sees the broken you.

The scene on the subway train where DH dare not contact JA. It could be seen as DH protecting a co-worker. Protecting a female passenger. Protecting a younger person. You can see it as a chivalrous act. As protecting a family member. But you can feel the undeniable emotional restraint on his part. It is the contrast of desire yet decency that provides the sparks for me. Does DH really know that he has any emotional feelings for JA at this point? I think he is acting as a boss, as a decent human. But subconsciously he is attracted to her strong personality, her don't give up spirit and her cute ankles. DH is not interested in the females around him but with JA it is different. Because JA is different. Guys are fascinated by different. Perhaps straight-laced engineers even more so.

DH is not a normal guy but still something different has entered his life and he is shaken. DH doesn't eat with females he doesn't like. Yet he so easily agreed to JA's demands to buy her food. A woman asked DH to buy her food. Normally he would refuse like he so easily refuses the Chairman. Why did he agree? Because he is shaken. It took him a few meals before he realizes his foolishness and says enough of this.

Talking about shaken, 'the kiss' happens. The kiss initiated to get him fired. As a boss he automatically responds 'stop'! Morally he responds with 'what are you doing?!' He puts on a show at the office to reprimand JA. It is a sign that JA is starting to get to him. JA is entering his thoughts and DH is mad at himself for having these thoughts, any thoughts. In reprimanding JA he is also reprimanding himself. As a man he is tempted. He tells his brothers that 'he just has never been tempted'. Well that is no longer true. When a woman kisses/attempts to kiss a man it leaves an impression. Positive or negative it leaves an impression. DH doesn't know it was an act. As angry as he was he still has a slim thought of 'am I attractive enough to be kissed?' 'Even in my condition do I have any appeal for women to like me?'

DH realizes his feelings for JA when he acknowledges that JA 'helps him breathe'. How? Why? When a guy finds someone that supports them then he has truly found happiness.  Physical support, emotional support to help them carry on in life. She does this by supporting him in the promotion interview. But also with her 'fighting'. By staying late at work because she 'missed him'. By giving him slippers (I can't list/remember them all).

They are both like minded in thinking they don't belong in this world. Both are also pitiable. They are also different in many ways but they have a connection of the heart. DH wants to help JA better herself, better her condition. Help her to find comfort. He also wants to better himself so that she doesn't hurt because of him. When a guy wants to change something about himself that is huge. When he wants to change for the benefit of a woman he must have serious feelings for her. He must be in love!

Somehow JA touched DH's heart. She spoke to him emotionally. Stirred his passions. Feeling helpless and alone it might have been easier to be touched emotionally but DH still opened his heart for JA to come in. JA got DH to fight (for his brother, for her and for himself), to shed a tear, to run around like a mad man, to give a hug, to start a business, to smile like crazy and to ask for a handshake.

I don't know how, when or why DH started to like JA but the things he did for her and for himself show me that he did love her. Romantically? I have to think yes. I hope so!

Wow, this is so long. Sorry (was hoping to get to page 300 with this one looooong post).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

12 hours ago, popai5 said:

DH realizes his feelings for JA when he acknowledges that JA 'helps him breathe'. How? Why? When a guy finds someone that supports them then he has truly found happiness.  Physical support, emotional support to help them carry on in life. She does this by supporting him in the promotion interview. But also with her 'fighting'. By staying late at work because she 'missed him'. By giving him slippers (I can't list/remember them all).

They are both like minded in thinking they don't belong in this world. Both are also pitiable. They are also different in many ways but they have a connection of the heart. DH wants to help JA better herself, better her condition. Help her to find comfort. He also wants to better himself so that she doesn't hurt because of him. When a guy wants to change something about himself that is huge. When he wants to change for the benefit of a woman he must have serious feelings for her. He must be in love!

Somehow JA touched DH's heart. She spoke to him emotionally. Stirred his passions. Feeling helpless and alone it might have been easier to be touched emotionally but DH still opened his heart for JA to come in. JA got DH to fight (for his brother, for her and for himself), to shed a tear, to run around like a mad man, to give a hug, to start a business, to smile like crazy and to ask for a handshake.

I don't know how, when or why DH started to like JA but the things he did for her and for himself show me that he did love her. Romantically? I have to think yes. I hope so!

Wow, this is so long. Sorry (was hoping to get to page 300 with this one looooong post).

This is so beautifully written that I had to read it twice to get the actual nuances.

DH is a person who likes being mediocre even though he has the potential to be much more in both his personal and professional life. He hates being centre of attention. 

And then jian came to his life and turned it upside down. By the end of it , he was agreed to even expose his wife infidility to whole world knowing how much of public humiliation it will bring to his family. He did all this for jian. It goes on to show what a strong bond he has formed with her. He cares for her with all his heart and since he also did find her pretty at one point and throughout the shows run showed strong urge to have intimate conversation with her , in fact does prove that he love her. He might or might not act upon his feelings ... that’s something that the show decided to take it offline. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sesla said:

I have just finished watching this brilliant series and have found what I think is a Bluray release imminent here:

https://twitter.com/my__mister?lang=en

I don't speak or read Korean so can anybody help with this translation and if the series will have English Subtitles.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the club!  :)  About the Blu-ray, a while back the production team said they would include English subs if they received at least 300 international orders.  I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt, but last I heard (about a month ago) they did not reach that number.  I am not sure if anything has changed since then.

@popai5, just want to say I really enjoyed your write-up on Ji An's house and your perspective on the relationship.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 12:34 AM, t123han said:

What happened to Japanese broadcast ? Is it over ? How are people reacting to MA ? 

MA just ended yesterday (8 September) in Japan...

I found many positive reviews on Instagram :thumbsup:

But I can only understand so much, because I read them through Instagram's translation :sweatingbullets:

Maybe someone here can provide more thoroughly reviews...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The rumours are true. I'm still very much in love with this show. But a combination of factors has been keeping me from it. I'm just now sort of catching up on all the wonderful interviews that IU and LSK did for the Japanese magazines. I really didn't think we'd get to hear so much of their perspective on the show. Now if only we could get the video interview too! The more I get, I greedier I become. First of all thank you so much to @justamom for translating all the interviews! Thank you so so much. And everyone else involved with the fan-site. You guys are the best. We're so lucky to have you guys in the fandom. Makes me feel bad that I can't seem to contribute that much to the fandom of a show I love.

Cause this show (and by extension the fandom) has really meant a lot to me. It's been a while since I was this invested in the personal happiness of fictional characters. This show is so unassuming and quiet that it catches you unawares. I find it difficult to describe it to people who haven't seen it. I can only say -"just watch it please, you won't regret it!". I've heard this show described as a melo sometimes but personally I've never found it to be melodramatic. If anything it undercuts its sentimentality or potential for melodrama. I remember IU said something during the press conference  - this show doesn't glorify or vilify life but just shows us how these characters are living. And that's how the show really gets into the audiences' head space. It sort of lures the audience into this world until we are so empathetic to the characters, we feel their pain/happiness just as acutely. (Technically all shows/films/books should do this, but how many actually manage it?)

Even now after months, I'm still so affected by the show. If I hear just a bit of the OST/or watch a scene I'm transported back to its world, feel it sinking in my bones, my heart aches again. And I don't think I would have it any other way. 

• Like 15

So I read this reddit discussion and dang !!! Can people BE anymore confused ?? 

I mean they cant unsee the strong pull between these two characters but don’t want them to be a couple , so DH and jian end up being labelled as platonic soulmates. I mean , what does that even mean ?? 

But i did take away one point. DH loves jian so much and so selflessly that he just wants her to be happy. This kind of love is not easy. You don’t expect any relation , neither have any expectations from them but just want them to be happy . This is love at its purest form. Given a chance I am sure he will give his life for her , that’s how much he loves her. He wants her to find happiness in her life, he wants her to stop living that miserable life. 

But then I see scenes like below ones , and all that platonic logic goes for toss for me.  In episode 9 jian misses her station. DH sees her in the train. He comes out and is conflicted on what to do . He turns back to look at the station and then takes out his mobile but falls short of calling her. 

He then goes to supermarket ( we all know why he does that for no apparent reason!! ) . 

vuwGXFf.png

He gets his stuff and then there is this brief moment that I had missed during my earlier watch. He is standing at the signal and looks at the station . Take a note , he looks first and then in a brief second jian appears. So if you don’t pay attention then it looks like he looked at the station bc jian appeared. 

But NO.... he looks first , and then jian appears.

See below he is looking at the station and jian is still not there. 

k1sdW1E.png

And then she appears. His eyes does not leave her even for a moment.

LQYGdjT.png

And then there is that damn music and piano tune that plays in background when he walks towards her. That sure feels like such a beautiful scene with heart tugging music.

It’s moment like this that make my heart sulk. I mean why does DH have to look with so much longing at jian. They could make babies just by the way they look at each other. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 4