[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I'm also excited to see that there will be a Chinese version of MA. Although, I too think that a Japanese version would be more interesting to see. Perhaps it would cater more to the shipper audience in regards to more of an obvious relationship between DH and JA.

I was thinking about who might take the role of DH. Most of the actors that I thought about are too old. I think that Takenaka Naoto has the voice to match LSK. He had a role in "A Hesitation of Love/Koi no Tamerai" where he had three suitors. A past lover his own age, a younger woman he went on an arranged marriage meeting with and a much younger woman who works with him all are vying for his affection. He is not 'handsome' but he has that voice.

Another actor is Sanada Hiroyuki. You might know him from the US film 'The Last Samurai' or the Japanese movies "The Ring" and it's sequel. But I remember him most fondly from the TV series "Kou Kou Kyoushi/High School Teacher" (the 1993 version not the 2003 one). He is such a talented actor. With just his facial expressions he can convey so many emotions. That program touched me so much. It tackled so many social issues. It was so much more than a teacher/student drama. It was back before Netflix or the internet so I had to wait to watch it every week on the local International station with commercials.

I still remember one scene where Sanada's teacher character is standing in front of a slide projector and his shadow/silhouette is on a screen in front of the classroom. The female student who likes him is standing near the screen and she positions herself next to the silhouette of his face. She closes her eyes and lifts her head upwards. He looks at what she is doing and moves his shadow face closer to hers and gives her a 'kiss'. Then he moves his hands in front of him so it looks like he is cradling her head in his hands and 'kisses' her again. Such a moving and heartfelt fake kiss.

One other actor that is slightly too old is Watabe Atsuro. He could play one of the executives though.

As for actors who are the right age Takenouchi Yutaka is an option. So are former SMAP members Kimura Takuya and Tsuyoshi Kusanagi but I don't know if they have the right acting skills. Any of the three could play JY. Although I believe Shingo Katori, another member of the group, could play the role of DH's younger brother.

I think the best choice might be Tsutsui Michitaka. I enjoyed his characters when he was younger. He has a quietness to his acting that fits. But he doesn't have the voice. I think he has a softer sound but that might work too. Something that is different like a whisper.

I don't know who the new young actresses are although Fujiwara Sakura was good in the drama "Love Song". She is actually a singer who has gotten into acting. In the drama she plays a person who has a stuttering issue but is able to sing without stuttering. She dreams to have a career as a singer. She acts opposite Fukuyama Masaharo, a more established actor who also might be too old to play DH. Not sure if she can handle the role as LJE did though.

Hayami Akari is someone I saw in the film "My Pretend Girlfriend". The character was lonely, hurt and a bit cold at first but became much warmer at the end. 'Kocchi wo muite yo' by the band Weaver is a song in the film that I really liked.

MA will never be replaced or outdone by these new adaptations but it would be interesting to see the results. And if they would give me the relationship between DH and JA that I long for then it would be all the better!

• Like 4

On 10/10/2018 at 3:44 AM, popai5 said:

The hug was also a bit funny for me. With DH being much taller than JA, when they first hugged JA's face was planted right against DH's chest. It didn't bother me at first since it felt right that she wanted to hide her emotions from him. But as the hug continued I thought she might suffocate with her face buried against him like that.

Haha, yes. Their position was a bit awkward, but I guess it add more to the realness of the scene. 

And I'm sure Ji An didn't mind as long as she get to close to him, and breathe him...

On 10/10/2018 at 7:16 AM, popai5 said:

I don't know who the new young actresses are although Fujiwara Sakura was good in the drama "Love Song". She is actually a singer who has gotten into acting. In the drama she plays a person who has a stuttering issue but is able to sing without stuttering. She dreams to have a career as a singer. She acts opposite Fukuyama Masaharo, a more established actor who also might be too old to play DH. Not sure if she can handle the role as LJE did though.

I've watched Love Song, I think it's nice...

The drama also has "crowded train scene" like MA ep 3, but of course it held different vibe and meaning.

Sakura Fujiwara was great in this drama. I didn't know it was her first time acting in tv series. But, she's concentrating on her music right now, so no acting project so far... 

Maybe she needs more acting experience, I'm sure she could be a good actress...

As for actor to play PDH, what about Naohito Fujiki? He's a seasoned actor and only two years older than LSK...

And, good news guys... 

@justamom added new chapter to her story Contact

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14713524/chapters/38000336

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just sharing this here....

Ji Eun's latest MV's shocking colors is such a stark contrast to dark Ji An 
But I see Ji An's bad-@ss attitude here...waahhhahha
The lyrics daebak...burn those haters ! 

Bbi-Bbii !!!!
:)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, widala said:

Attending : Park Ho San, Jang Ki Yong, Lee Ji Eun...

Jang Ki Yong won Best New Comer

Lee Ji Eun won Top Excellence Actress

Park Ho San won Best Supporting Actor

Congrats to all the winners, especially IU who had to go up against all the veteran actresses!!  So basically everyone from My Ajusshi who got nominated won an award, except Lee Seon Kyun (typical).  Heck, they even gave two awards in Best New Comer.  Royally disappointed for LSK. He just can't seem to catch that big break no matter what he did, while all his on-screen partners soared to new heights. Forever underrated. :bawling:

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

OH MY GOD I'm really sorry for offending anyone but did they really just give Lee Byung Hun a Daesang while LSK was nominated???? They gave LBH a daessang for Mr Sunshine??? Are you fking kidding me???? wow the nerve????? wow????

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, anipanch said:

OH MY GOD I'm really sorry for offending anyone but did they really just give Lee Byung Hun a Daesang while LSK was nominated???? They gave LBH a daessang for Mr Sunshine??? Are you fking kidding me???? wow the nerve????? wow????

LOL, @anipanch!!  Very disappointing indeed, but what else is new? :tears:  By the way, did you make it all the way to the end of Mr. Sunshine?

Adding Kim Won Seuk for Best Directing to the My Ajusshi's list of winners.  Congratulations.

Jang Ki Yong - Best New Comer

Lee Ji Eun - Top Excellence Actress

Park Ho San -  Best Supporting Actor

Kim Won Seuk - Best Directing

• Like 7

Congrats to all the winner!

So glad that My Ahjussi gained recognition, and the talented casts and director got the awards they deserved.

As for Daesang, still disappointed LSK didn't win, although not surprising...

He's up against LBH... I'm not talking about talent but power and money sooo nothing new really...

• Like 7

Thanks chngus for updates.

Yes! I'm going to quote myself. Just because. She deserved it! The drama deserves it!

On 8/8/2018 at 1:33 AM, jongski said:

IU was revelation in this drama. Her character and how she portrayed.  Heck we didn't even see her smile till episode7 or 8 was it? The end of the year drama awards, I wish she could be recognized. Often "idols" get "looked down" ( for lack of the correct term) but she did so amazing in this drama.  I'm not a fan of hers but wonderful acting needs to be recognized. So yeah, we'll  when of the year awards happens in December.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, jongski said:

Just to say again cos everyone needs to be aware.... 

It's the coming to winter cold days end "ber" months. which means end of the year awards coming up. 'With apologies to Kim Tae Ri and other actresses,  I'm no fan of hers but  IU got to be recognized for her good acting in this drama. I'm jaded or cynic when it comes to awards thing cos it's mostly popular awards,  she's got to be appreciated for doing a good job here. Plus brilliant writing for this drama also has to win an award. I'd say this is one of the best dramas of 2018. The whole drama should be recognized actually. No need to have technical aspects cinematography for a drama to be powerful. It's simple dark look at life and work and helplessness yet showed us what grit and determination  and loneliness and friendship and family means.

This drama deserves recognition and awards. Congrats to My Mister.

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Adding Kim Won Seuk for Best Directing to the My Ajusshi's list of winners.  Congratulations.

Jang Ki Yong - Best New Comer

Lee Ji Eun - Top Excellence Actress

Park Ho San -  Best Supporting Actor

Kim Won Seuk - Best Directing

• Like 7