[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, t123han said:

So I read this reddit discussion and dang !!! Can people BE anymore confused ?? 

I mean they cant unsee the strong pull between these two characters but don’t want them to be a couple , so DH and jian end up being labelled as platonic soulmates. I mean , what does that even mean ?? 

But then I see scenes like below ones , and all that platonic logic goes for toss for me.  In episode 9 jian misses her station. DH sees her in the train. He comes out and is conflicted on what to do . He turns back to look at the station and then takes out his mobile but falls short of calling her. 

He then goes to supermarket ( we all know why he does that for no apparent reason!! ) . 

It’s moment like this that make my heart sulk. I mean why does DH have to look with so much longing at jian. They could make babies just by the way they look at each other. 

That Hoogye stop scene is one of my favorites, and I think it was deliberately orchestrated to be a romantic sequence by the PD.  But I have come to accept anything that looks romantic can be explained away with "platonic soulmates."  If that's what it takes for some to keep loving the show, then more power to the show!!

• Like 7

Funnily, I just posted the episode 9 Hoogye stop scene at my IG account few days ago (shamelessly promoting again :D)

Although I agreed with @t123han, that their chemistry is So Obvious,

but also like @sadiesmith, I will have to accept that there are people who can't, or won't, see it.

People who will explain it as "platonic soulmate" or "best friend"...

Maybe because for them, there's really nothing romantic between PDH and LJA...

Or, maybe they are uncomfortable of addressing it as romantic because of the age gap...

But, I think it's okay now. As long as us fans, shipper and non-shipper, keep loving and supporting My Ahjussi... 

• Like 8

@sadiesmith That reddit post is goooood, dude. And it brings up some goooood questions.

1. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the wife - was she being selfish and irresponsible by leaving him or was she making the difficult choice for him by leaving and doing what was ultimately best for her husband's happiness?

2. Was the wife ever threatened by Lee Ji An and her husband's relationship? - I remember one scene when she's driving alone in the car and she starts sobbing knowing how much Ji An loved her husband. Was this out of jealousy or concern for any hope of reconciling their marriage? Was it guilt? Or was it because she realized just how much love she lost for her husband?

Love the OP's response to #2.

My short response to #1:

I thought it was graceful and considerate of YH to decide to leave DH (for good). She knew that DH could probably never bring himself to divorce her, no matter how much their marriage disintegrated. So, in the end, she didn't wait till DH brought up divorce (like she said she would, in ep 12). Like she said herself, living with DH was hell (after the confession / fallout). So she freed herself, and DH, from that hell by letting go. IMO, in ep 15, when DH looked like his world was breaking apart, and right then he brought up JA (instead of discussing their marriage), the look on YH's face told me that's when their marriage had officially died. That was the point of no return.

klejtfL.gif

Remember that we saw YH tearing up multiple times (I can think of four instances) after she discovered the extent of their... intimacy (ep 12-16) - after talking to JY on the rooftop, with the ahjussis at the bar, while she drives away from the bar, and at the police station when JA talks about her jealousy point-blank. Don't tell me these tears were "no big deal"! :P

Spoiler

R8gEwif.png

y6fs2OE.png

jr6RJLQ.png

LrcnKBx.png

---

I've been wondering something... This question goes out to all My Ahjussi fans.

What are some specific instances involving DH-JA that can ONLY be interpreted from a romantic angle? Conversely, what are some DH-JA instances that weaken the romance stance?

@t123han brought up a great example.

For me, I don't know why DH would avoid his regular bar / hangout with his bros and pals for a prolonged period if not to avoid having his feelings / intimacy with JA shown. I mean, why would he maintain a physical distance with his "best friend"?

Your turn. ;)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@h2ogirl, you posted very fun questions to consider.  I really shouldn't be here as I have a ton of other things to do, but this is like a bad habit I can't break.  :lol:

Sadly, probably because I've read so many reviews and whatnot from the other side, all of the romantic scenes I can think of can also be interpreted as non-romantic.  I think.  Will have to ponder a little more before I share them.

In the meantime, does this look like an interview with writer Park Hae Young?  Help!  Can someone translate?

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=leesk&no=120634&page=1

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=59562&page=1

Edit: @justamom told me that Park Hae Young recently held a fan meeting and someone posted the transcript on DCInside.

• Like 8

I regret for not coming here when the drama was airing... I was desperately waited alone for MA every week, forgetting all about this beautiful forum (sigh).. and  I was really into this drama for quite some time...

I really love this drama.. about healing... about relationships... Dong Hoon's words still ringing in my ears... "It's nothing, it's no big deal.." The drama was so real, down to earth, a bit dark... I hated it to see Ji An getting beaten up... I really, really can relate to Ji An... Her life... her struggle... her bitterness... her pain... and every seconds of relieved in her eyes to hear Dong Hoon's words... 

Her conversations with Grandma was so precious and meaningful... I cried a lot... also smiled a lot... and felt that everything's going to be okay, no matter how hard life is... how difficult a relationship is... It's nothing, it's no big deal...

It was a healing moment... how Dong Hoon and Ji An healed each other...

I feel that they were actually feeling romantic towards each other... Ji An, obviously, fell in love with him... And Dong Hoon... although in the end it seemed like the writer left it open to our imagination... He also loves Ji An.

I do believe in husband and wife's relationship restoration... but for this case... for Dong Hoon and his wife's case... I hope Dong Hoon would find his own happiness with Ji Ah...  

I believe... Dong Hoon is really a rare man.. hahaha... cannot imagine to have a man like that in this world (correction: in my world)....

I am thankful for this drama... loving every bits of it... Best part: Dong Hoon's deep and soothing voice.. :D <3 

Sorry for the long rant...

• Like 13

On 9/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, h2ogirl said:

@sadiesmith That reddit post is goooood, dude. And it brings up some goooood questions.

Love the OP's response to #2.

My short response to #1:

I thought it was graceful and considerate of YH to decide to leave DH (for good). She knew that DH could probably never bring himself to divorce her, no matter how much their marriage disintegrated. So, in the end, she didn't wait till DH brought up divorce (like she said she would, in ep 12). Like she said herself, living with DH was hell (after the confession / fallout). So she freed herself, and DH, from that hell by letting go. IMO, in ep 15, when DH looked like his world was breaking apart, and right then he brought up JA (instead of discussing their marriage), the look on YH's face told me that's when their marriage had officially died. That was the point of no return.

What are some specific instances involving DH-JA that can ONLY be interpreted from a romantic angle? Conversely, what are some DH-JA instances that weaken the romance stance?

@t123han brought up a great example.

For me, I don't know why DH would avoid his regular bar / hangout with his bros and pals for a prolonged period if not to avoid having his feelings / intimacy with JA shown. I mean, why would he maintain a physical distance with his "best friend"?

Your turn. ;)

Their marriage was strained to the point of no return. And in such a moment DH chooses to discuss about jian. The look on  Yoon hee face when DH asked her about jian tell me that she has had it with this relationship. That sigh tells it all, DH had already slipped from her hands and his mind is now preoccupied with someone else. I guess YH realised this early on hence so many scenes of her realising and crying. 

Anyway for me the most romantic moment was when he confessed to his brothers that she helps him breathe. 

y78W59L.pngI think PDH was very well aware about his feelings for her at this point . Jian meant world to him. Their relation is all shades of grey. There is a broken marriage, a past baggage, confession, rejection and denial. They are both standing at the red line. It’s just a matter of time when one of them crosses that line and eventually be ready to tell the whole world ( which would have happened offscreen :) ) 

QgbUz1R.png

Now for not so romantic scene , let’s  talk all about the hug. For what could have been a strong romantic gesture felt kind of lame for me. 

His eyes were pure love but his actions betrayed him. I dint like that he had to pat her . It felt like a comfort hug rather than a passionate one.  I do have a bone to pick up with this hug but I think I should just be happy that we finally got a hug. 

And then she hugged him back and they stayed there like that for quite long for DH standards , given his reluctance to even have any conversation with opposite sex. 

When DH broke away from that hug it felt like he dint want to leave her. 

So athough I was unhappy with the way the hug started , I was satisfied that they both were teary eyed by the end of it. It was like something inside them triggered and then sad realisation swept over them that they couldn’t take it any further. They had to literally tear themselves apart from each other. 

Rk6Femi.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

spacer.png

I'm not sure we are getting that DVD.... So I did the next best thing and got myself some badges. I will always have special memories as close to my heart as possible :D !!! If you ever see these badges, come over and say hi to me!

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

This "flower". PDH stops at the sewer cover when he sees Monk waiting for him. They look and smile at one another, then go to buy JH flowers.

Another reason that the yellow "flower" stood out for me is as an analogy of their deep and long friendship. This is reinforced in episode 11 when DH goes to the monastery instead of work. It is clear that they have a strong friendship, one that has been maintained through time and distance. Monk escaped 20 yrs ago and has never returned to the neighbourhood ( correct me if I am wrong, only for his parents funeral). DH is the one who sneaks to the mountain to see him. They have maintained their friendship undercover since Jung Hee made the Monk an off-limits topic. 

I was amused at my initial reaction to this Bromance  in episode 11.  When DH sat on the steps, staring out into the landscape, Monk came up behind him, hugged him and offered words of support. As he was creeping up behind him, I remember feeling some discomfort at the physical affection that I could see was coming. (OMG, he's gonna give him a backhug!) I had to ask myself why, especially since I think that men should not be shamed for male-male affection. Women have the luxury and blessing of expressing affection by physical touch without  fear of shaming, yet here I was feeling some type of way as Monk hugged DH. Worse still, I am the huggy-touchy-feely type. What a contradiction! 

Of course I laughed at this reaction but didn't think much about their friendship until this flower appeared in my rewatch.  

I love the display of physical affection and support between the two men, full on body contact. (Not to mention, a brilliant reversal of the overused back hug in Kdramaland). I don't recall seeing it in any other drama, and certainly not like in a situation like this where they discuss deep matters of the heart.

The scene presented something that is rare on the screen, affection between men that is not romantic or sexual. The writernim/PDnim showed a deeper aspect of their friendship, love and concern for one another's deepest well-being, as opposed to the usual sports/beer analogy or outlet for male friendship as they complain about work or women. The two discuss the heavy stuff that we "have been conditioned to assume" is reserved for women. And maybe that was my real discomfort, an emotional exchange between two men.

Maybe they are also able to do this because Monk cannot drink alcohol, and as someone pursuing enlightenment through Buddhism, he has the tendency to be "real", honest with himself, grounded, which a person like DH needs as a place to unburden his deepest emotions. I would venture to state that he must be "comfort" and a "reinforcement pillar" to DH that DH would seek him out to discuss the dead marriage, as opposed to talking to his brothers. Either way, what they have is not mainstream or conventional.

Maybe the guys here can elaborate more on friendships between men.....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, africandramalover said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure we are getting that DVD.... So I did the next best thing and got myself some badges. I will always have special memories as close to my heart as possible :D !!! If you ever see these badges, come over and say hi to me!

I was amused at my initial reaction to this Bromance  in episode 11.  When DH sat on the steps, staring out into the landscape, Monk came up behind him, hugged him and offered words of support. As he was creeping up behind him, I remember feeling some discomfort at the physical affection that I could see was coming. (OMG, he's gonna give him a backhug!) I had to ask myself why, especially since I think that men should not be shamed for male-male affection. Women have the luxury and blessing of expressing affection by physical touch without  fear of shaming, yet here I was feeling some type of way as Monk hugged DH. Worse still, I am the huggy-touchy-feely type. What a contradiction! 

Of course I laughed at this reaction but didn't think much about their friendship until this flower appeared in my rewatch.  

I love the display of physical affection and support between the two men, full on body contact. (Not to mention, a brilliant reversal of the overused back hug in Kdramaland). I don't recall seeing it in any other drama, and certainly not like in a situation like this where they discuss deep matters of the heart.

Maybe the guys here can elaborate more on friendships between men.....

@africandramalover, I love your badges and your analysis of this physical affection between two male characters.  I do hope @popai5 or some other male viewers will give their take on this friendship.  There is one other famous male-to-male Korean dram backhug, the one in Reply 1997 between the main lead and one of his friends.  I won't say that one is completely non-romantic/non-sexual though. :D

Anyway, your post reminded me of @noor1 so many moons ago when she felt all depressed over the ambiguous ending.  She lamented that in the end, Ji An's affection was perhaps no more than what the monk meant to Dong Hoon. Hahaha... 

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/ji-an-female-version-of-monk-friend/

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

On 9/18/2018 at 2:49 PM, sadiesmith said:

Anyway, your post reminded me of @noor1 so many moons ago when she felt all depressed over the ambiguous ending.  She lamented that in the end, Ji An's affection was perhaps no more than what the monk meant to Dong Hoon. Hahaha... 

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/ji-an-female-version-of-monk-friend/

pBm8Ljk.gif

I think that statement already answered by rezfg at the comment section...

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/ji-an-female-version-of-monk-friend/#comments

As a shipper, I tried to keep an objective and open mind about their relationship, not blindly put them together just because they looked cute smiling at each other (but they do looked very cute :wub:).

But, I know I will always have bias opinion, and it hurts my heart just reading those analysis that they may not be end up together... (gosh, am I being too invested in these fictional characters' lives?:sweatingbullets:)

Thanks so much @africandramalover for the post about PDH and Monk relationship, and those are cool badges!

Yes, their friendship is very deep and meaningful.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

On 9/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, h2ogirl said:

I already said that most of DH-JA intimate moments can be rationalized away with the "platonic soulmates" excuse, so I had a hard time coming up with scenes that can only be "interpreted from a romantic angle."  These  are the best I could do:

Pm8gCMK.gif

tQlqoyU.png

420sK6L.png

It's the heart sign preceding the appearance of Ji An that makes it hard to ignore that the PD is trying to tell us something here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

https://www.asiaartistawards.com/vote/preVote.html?type=mactor

I hope the glaring omission of LSK from the list of actors is not a foreshadow of how things will be when awards season rolls around in South Korea.  Somehow I am very pessimistic, at least for LSK. :tears:  IU seems to be doing okay getting the recognition she deserves.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hello Najussi fans ... :tears:

Thank you all for keeping the Najussi fires burning. I've actually been avoiding this group. It actually hurts too much, and I've been trying to move on.

But it's great to be able to see it near the top whenever I swing by forums.soompi, knowing that the enthusiasm and love is still alive!

So I am reporting that no K-drama has quite lived up to the brilliance of Najussi so far. I've enjoyed a few, but nothing has quite touched my heart in the same way.

If anyone is on the fence about this drama, I am telling you, this is a rare drama, an absolute must-watch, you must have this in your lives, and you will mourn it when it ends, like I do.

((HUGS)) to everyone. I hope everyone is living brilliant, happy lives right now!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1