Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Annyeong,  everyone!  Decided to randomly search MA-related key words and found reviews from other less-well known blogs. Here are some of them that I'm sharing with you:

https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2018/05/spoilersddoboja-reviews-my-ahjussi-

https://www.stellarsisters.com/dramas/critique-my-mister-lee-sunkyun-iu-dra

Second one is in French so just Google-translate it. 

Amazing how this drama really continues to inspire a lot of viewers which,  to me,  is the mark of a story that becomes an enduring classic. :)

• Like 6

I have learned a lot from @africandramalover and other posters here on how to pay attention to the littlest things, because apparently director KWS does not waste any scene.  As I tried to put together my thoughts on Dongho bridge, the sequence of scenes sort of just wrote itself into a post.  LSK was not joking when he said this director is like a conductor.  Hope you guys will enjoy the 5 locations we are putting up on the fan site.  @oldschooler already shared her thoughts on Hangang Bridge.  Here's number 2 location: Dongho Bridge.

My Mister Locations : Dongho Bridge (Part 2/5)

MY MISTER LOCATIONS : DONGHO BRIDGE (PART 2/5)

The magnificent Dongho Bridge comes to scene several times in My Ajusshi, but the carefully orchestrated events leading up to its appearance at the end of episode 2 would lead one to think there might be a story to tell. Turns out it is used to signal the beautiful relationship that is about to form between Lee Ji An and Park Dong Hoon.
Read the more on Give Me Slippers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

https://www.google.com/amp/hailaft.tumblr.com/post/174045924029/my-ahjussi-2018/amp

https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2018/05/spoilersddoboja-reviews-my-ahjussi-my.html?m=1

@t123han can you try the above links?  The second one is the link that you tried but does not exist. There was a missing portion of the URL that I copied and pasted. The first one is another review that I'm sharing. :)

• Like 2

Hi all!!!

I'm glad to see that so many of you are still posting and reading and that there are a few new posters! I had some personal issues to deal with and have been away for awhile. I was away for so long that MA was becoming a fond memory and I started to watch new programs. But I realized that I was constantly comparing comparable events/scenes to MA and my thoughts would always drift back to the awesomeness of the writing, directing, acting, music and editing that was MA. I tire now of all these contrived plots where there is a secret between characters that almost gets revealed but something happens and the secret stays a secret ( @justamom do they teach that in scriptwriting?) No bueno!

So, I finally felt like I could handle visiting the fan site and to my surprise I see these photos from an interview given by LSK and LJE. To paraphrase a famous line from one of the 'Godfather' films (I've never seen the films, shame on me) "I try to get out of Hugye and this Soompi thread but I just get pulled back in!"

I got teary-eyed looking at the photos of LSK and LJE looking at each other and smiling. Then the photo of LJE resting her head on LSK's shoulder and them together sitting with their backs touching. I may be one of the few males still reading/posting but I am not ashamed to say that I got so emotional seeing them like this. It validated my feelings/hopes that DH and JA were together! I needed more MA news so of course I had to check out the thread.

So, I started reading the 30 or so pages of this thread that I had to catch up on. So many posts like the tips from @t123han and analysis by @oldschooler the pictures from @mylovelystar, updates from @Joseph Lim@sadiesmith putting my mind in the gutter (oh, sorry it is always there anyway!) helped me relive all the fond memories! Thanks!

Reading several of the posts talking about DH's rebirth and 'new Spring' and JA's rebirth it made me laugh how I was so scared about all the talk early in the drama about 'not being comfortable in this life', of 'reincarnation' or being 'reborn' and 'the next life'. I was so afraid that DH or JA was going to die at the end. This was before we started to recognize all the symbolism in the show. I was just thinking about the show as a traditional drama and not realizing the imagination of the PD and writer. Now I truly realize that this meeting between JA and DH in the Spring-time is the beginning of their respective 'new Spring days'. And although we may be wrong I agree with @h2ogirl regarding the 1 year time jump. It really would be heartbreaking to think that JA and DH had to be apart for any longer!

One last thing, (sorry the post is soooo long) a couple of posters have mentioned 'Hyori's Home Stay' or 'Hyori's Bed and Breakfast'. For those of you who haven't seen it you should check out Season 1. It is the season IU/LJE is on as an 'employee'.

It is interesting to see the parallels between LJE with her character JA on MA.

1) Check out LJE washing dishes. It's one of her chores. She washes them by hand. In MA JA does the dish rinsing

at her part-time job.

2) Watch  LJE grinding coffee beans and making real coffee. Contrast with the packaged instant coffee JA drinks

in MA.

3) LJE chews her food slowly and takes forever to complete a meal on Home Stay.  Contrast that with JA

gulping down her food in the early episodes of MA.

4) LJE has an unusual  running form on 'Hyori's Home Stay'.  They even make fun of her running motion (poor LJE).  Compare that with her aggressive running form in MA and how often she has to run. I think she even mentions that her running improved after having to run so much on MA.

5) Several of the house guests talk about the 'healing' they received from the home stay.

Just like the 'healing' on MA.

LJE seems like such a mature, sensitive, thoughtful person. She was so friendly to the home stay guests and took her job very seriously. She is obviously very talented musically and is growing as an actress but she seems to have it together as a person already at such a young age.

Does anyone know how MA is doing in Japan? I've enjoyed the posts showing the mnet video clips and of course the posts of the magazine interview. I've tried to search online how the Japanese audience is reacting to MA but I can't find a thing. I feel like Charlie Brown, 'Does anybody know ... ?'

• Like 11

Me: don’t think you were the only male reader. There were few that came before you. They gave their opinion , they declared their love for MA and then they left !! 

Reasonable voices in the thread They were good people. At least they loved the drama that much to come by here and drop comments. They were courageous enough to declare their gender knowing that this site is filled with ladies who are crazy about LSK. Be happy that gave a male perspective hence helping our ship sail and reaffirming our belief that DH too had feelings towards jian. 

Did you you see what I just did ?? I channeled my inner MA :) :) 

random voice in head : so are you happy that their was diversity on this forum ? 

Me again : sad , I am sad. I am sad because although there were few , none of them decided to stick around!! 

Oooooohhh I did it again !! Sorry for going off the tangent. I was just trying to be funny !!  This is how much I think of MA that some dialogues creep in real life too !! 

I think there are 4-5 of us left here who refuse to let go of MA and move on. 

I personally have not started any drama because I am in drama slump right now after MA and nothing excites me anymore. I will just stick to watching MA and LSK old work again !!

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, t123han said:

Me: don’t think you were the only male reader. There were few that came before you. They gave their opinion , they declared their love for MA and then they left !! 

Reasonable voices in the thread They were good people. At least they loved the drama that much to come by here and drop comments. They were courageous enough to declare their gender knowing that this site is filled with ladies who are crazy about LSK. Be happy that gave a male perspective hence helping our ship sail and reaffirming our belief that DH too had feelings towards jian. 

Did you you see what I just did ?? I channeled my inner MA :) :) 

random voice in head : so are you happy that their was diversity on this forum ? 

Me again : sad , I am sad. I am sad because although there were few , none of them decided to stick around!! 

Oooooohhh I did it again !! Sorry for going off the tangent. I was just trying to be funny !!  This is how much I think of MA that some dialogues creep in real life too !! 

I think there are 4-5 of us left here who refuse to let go of MA and move on. 

I personally have not started any drama because I am in drama slump right now after MA and nothing excites me anymore. I will just stick to watching MA and LSK old work again !!

Out of curiosity, which pairing do you like best : LSK & IU or LBH & Kim Tae-Ri?

10 minutes ago, ladyrini said:

Out of curiosity, which pairing do you like best : LSK & IU or LBH & Kim Tae-Ri?

This maybe my biased mind speaking .. without doubts LSK and IU all the way. 

I can can see the spark flying between them even if they are standing there just staring into each other eyes. 

Whereas with Mr. Sunshine , although I am not following the drama I still know what’s going on( thanks to Instagram pop ups which are scattered around my timeline) . They seem to be looking at each other with longing but I don’t feel it. It doesn’t stir anything in my heart even when they held hands or hugged !!! 

So it’s LSK and IU will all my heart and soul :) 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, ladyrini said:

Hmm.... there is no way you are going to get an unbiased answer from the few who are still hanging around here, but it would still be fun to read people's thoughts right here.  I am watching Mr. Sunshine, but I am so far gone for LSK and MA that no way can I be objective.  That said, I am very curious to see how Mr. Sunshine viewers will answer your question.  Would you dare posting it on the MS thread on Soompi?

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Hmm.... there is no way you are going to get an unbiased answer from the few who are still hanging around here, but it would still be fun to read people's thoughts right here.  I am watching Mr. Sunshine, but I am so far gone for LSK and MA that no way can I be objective.  That said, I am very curious to see how Mr. Sunshine viewers will answer your question.  Would you dare posting it on the MS thread on Soompi?

Hahaha...okay, I was so wrong to ask that. No offense, guys :)

But seriously, I had watched LSK's movie "Paju". In this movie, he potrayed a man who loves his sister in-law deeply and I tried to compare with his role in MA. All I can say, MA is his best acting 'till date. His pairing with IU is absolutely the best. What do you guys think? Has anyone watched that movie?

Hi, @popai5, could you please share your thought about what makes you think that PDH also like LJA romantically... I'd like to hear it from a male perspective. Thanks...

9 hours ago, ladyrini said:

LBH and Kim Tae Ri who?

Haha, just kidding...

I don't watch Mr. Sunshine because I don't really like historical drama so I can't compare...

Talking about chemistry between onscreen couple, I always like Ji Sung's acting. Ji Sung and Hwang Jung Eum is my favorite onscreen couple before LSK and LJE. And Ji Sung also has great chemistry with Han Ji Min in Familiar Wife, but drama is still on going so no final assessment can be made. Like they say, Ji Sung can build a chemistry with a tree :D 

But a good actor also needs a good acting partner. So sorry, no hate on Hyeri... in Entertainer, Ji Sung had sent great longing loving gazes but when the receiver (Hyeri) only reacted so-so, they failed to touch the audiences.

What I think one of the things that made LSK and LJE pairing is so phenomenal (yes, I'm totally bias :rolleyes:) is the compatibility between them...

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I'm watching Mr. Sunshine but I'm liking it more for the chemistry between the 3 main male characters Eugene Choi, Gu Dong Mae and Kim Hee Sung. At first,  I was hoping to get heavily invested in the romance between Go Ae Shin and Eugene Choi but I feel like there's just too much setting up of the romance. It's like the scenes between them are heavily contrived to make me feel romantic. 

MA has really ruined me for traditional romance stories. I'm missing all the angst and pathos of PDH and LJA and the total lack of romance between them.  :P

• Like 6

On 8/30/2018 at 10:08 AM, ladyrini said:

no offense to anyone who likes their pairing but the chemistry between LBH&KTR sucks. KTR has better chemistry with both other secondary male leads and I can't even compare mr sunshine main couple with LSK and IU, they were otherworldly. And frankly, I think LBH does a poor job at playing his character

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

18 hours ago, anipanch said:

no offense to anyone who likes their pairing but the chemistry between LBH&KTR sucks. KTR has better chemistry with both other secondary male leads and I can't even compare mr sunshine main couple with LSK and IU, they were otherworldly. And frankly, I think LBH does a poor job at playing his character

@anipanch, good to see you again.  And thank you for saying what I wanted to say but didn't because I don't believe I could be objective.  Hahaha...  But yeah, I don't find LBH endearing in the slightest.  

On 8/30/2018 at 2:30 AM, ladyrini said:

Hahaha...okay, I was so wrong to ask that. No offense, guys :)

But seriously, I had watched LSK's movie "Paju". In this movie, he potrayed a man who loves his sister in-law deeply and I tried to compare with his role in MA. All I can say, MA is his best acting 'till date. His pairing with IU is absolutely the best. What do you guys think? Has anyone watched that movie?

LSK can make any pairing work, with male or female actors.  Some other personal favorites are with Choi Kang Hee (Petty Romance) and Gong Hyo Jin (Pasta).  I have watched almost all of his movies and dramas, and I agree that MA is his best acting to date.  I think the combination of a great script/character and an AMAZING director was what made this role so memorable, and perhaps not so much his own acting or the chemistry with IU.  Even I sometimes wonder if any other half-decent actor would have been able to bring Park Dong Hoon to life as well as he did, because the script and PD were that good.  Trust me, it pains me to admit this.  Do you guys agree?

• Like 8

Hi @widala, I'll give you my thoughts on PDH liking JA after I think about it a little bit. (I love your fanfic by the way. I read it today).

@sadiesmith I know I am late in responding to your request for writing about places. I've enjoyed reading about the five locations written about already. I had something I wanted to write about Ji-an's place so I'll be shameless and give you my thoughts below. It is not an analysis, Just rambling.

Ji-an's house. Address #1.

At the top of a long climb of concrete steps where the less affluent reside. The hard long climb representing the struggle the residents of the area deal with daily.

The cold, dark room with a small window. It provides the only rays of light in the depressing space. A small window to provide a small ray of hope. During summer it feels like an oven. In winter it is an ice box. One has to get warmth from whatever you can. A little heater. A cup of hot coffee. A few blankets. Something to help one survive. To beat back the cold harsh reality of life.

Yet it is home. Bare walls, sparse furnishings. It is nothing yet it is something. Somewhere one can gain comfort from as you rest. A place where you consume leftovers from work and drink coffee stolen from the office. Still it is something to protect. A place to fight for to maintain one's privacy and dignity. One can get beaten in exchange for a promise of keeping someone from stepping across the threshold. To protect the refuge for one's only family member you get hurt, you fight back. You do this for someone, the only one, you care for deeply.

That is until this man she really doesn't know breaks into her space. A space she wanted to keep private. He is someone she tried to harm without a second thought. Someone she has forced to buy her real food. Something to eat besides table scraps. He's just someone living in his life sentence of earnestness. But he is still there waiting to carry her precious grandmother so she can still savor her moments of happiness with her moon. Not being bumped about in a cold shopping cart but feeling the warm comfort of his back.

Then he says something to you that you have never heard in your life. It sounds strange to your ears. Are those words directed at me? "You are a good person". People put you down, ignore you and beat you but no one has acknowledged you before. Now you don't reside in a cold cave. You are human. This place is where you can sit and keep hearing that you are a good person even if you yourself don't believe it.

The room got lonely without grandmother. Your physical struggles lessen without her but your heart feels emptier. The heater, the coffee can't warm you. It is the sound of his voice, his breathing, his heavy footsteps that warm your heart and being. You want to reciprocate the warmth he gives you. The only thing you can do as he walks you home is a heartfelt 'fighting' before you climb the steps. He smiles. You feel warm.

Your world grows by meeting his friends. They walk you home. Treat you like family. They hail a neighbor you never noticed to watch over you. It is an impromptu housewarming. You feel obligated to show your appreciation. A "Thank you" emerges past your once beaten lips.

The cold dark room feels warmer. A bit brighter. But for him to live brighter it is time to leave. You must leave to find a new place to rest. No, just a place to lay your head.

Everything is left behind except for a backpack full of essential belongings. Grandmother is the only precious thing and she is safe.  All I need is my phone you think. I must still listen to him. He is my lifeline.

He came by just checking for cracks. Then he comes for another inspection and her belongings are outside and need to be stored. The neighbor agrees to be neighborly. Just checking  for cracks in a place full of cracks. He is trying to patch, perhaps heal, at least comfort the one most important to him. He doesn't know that his words already healed the crack in her heart.

She won't return to the room at the top of the stairs she has decided. Room #1. The small space, the womb that kept the #1 person in his heart. The room is empty and cold. The possessions are gone. The tenant left with sadness and nervousness but knowing that she is a good person. Knowing that she felt love.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@anipanch, good to see you again.  And thank you for saying what I wanted to say but didn't because I don't believe I could be objective.  Hahaha...  But yeah, I don't find LBH endearing in the slightest.  

LSK can make any pairing work, with male or female actors.  Some other personal favorites are with Choi Kang Hee (Petty Romance) and Gong Hyo Jin (Pasta).  I have watched almost all of LSK's movies and dramas, and I agree that MA is his best acting to date.  I think the combination of a great script/character and an AMAZING director is what makes this role so memorable, and perhaps not so much his own acting or the chemistry with IU.  Even I sometimes wonder if any other decent actor would have been able to bring Park Dong Hoon to live as well as he did, because the script and PD are that good.  Trust me, it pains me to admit this.  Do you guys agree?

Couldn't agree more. I believe after doing MA, our PDH aka LSK could be a number 1 actor in Korea. Can't wait to see his new movies where he will be showing us something different. Yes, after all this time, finally someone as MA's director had the gut to cast him in the role which is different than any roles he had been potrayed. Personally, I love seeing him act like PDH because his charisma is just mesmerizing.  

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

LSK can make any pairing work, with male or female actors.  Some other personal favorites are with Choi Kang Hee (Petty Romance) and Gong Hyo Jin (Pasta).  I have watched almost all of LSK's movies and dramas, and I agree that MA is his best acting to date.  I think the combination of a great script/character and an AMAZING director is what makes this role so memorable, and perhaps not so much his own acting or the chemistry with IU.  Even I sometimes wonder if any other decent actor would have been able to bring Park Dong Hoon to live as well as he did, because the script and PD are that good.  Trust me, it pains me to admit this.  Do you guys agree?

This is interesting...

In the interview LSK did said that he used to adlib and rearrange his lines, but in MA he was directed to follow the script to a t.

Although, "just" following the script and the direction wouldn't be as easy as it sounds....

Also from the interview, PDH had a lot of "..." lines that LSK needed to interpret, the director and writer surely trust him to be able to do that properly.

And I'm sure he has other special qualities as actor and as a person that made the production team chose him as the lead...

I had fun thinking other actors who could play PDH. The first that comes to my mind is Ha Jung Woo (along with the gods) or Cho Jin Woong (signal, a hard day)... And I really like to see Park Sung Woong as PDH :D

They are all excellent actors, but will Miss Lee Ji An consider any of them attractive?:lol:

@popai5 that's one excellent "rambling" :thumbsup:

So glad you enjoyed my fics... Thanks

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I don't think this interview has been posted before.  Wonder if this was the taped MNET interview.  There are two videos shown here.  What are they saying?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4