[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Another review for your reading pleasure:

https://jazminemedia.com/2018/09/my-ahjussi-my-mister-spoiler-free-review/

Excerpt:

So far, 2018 has been a disappointing year in kdrama for me. The kdrama community was shaken to its core with many scandals, sexual harassment allegations and confirmations, cast leaving dramas and such.

So it’s obvious that 2018 isn’t the best kdrama year. “My Ahjussi” was actually one of the dramas that suffered from the fall back of sexual harassment allegations, Oh Dal Su was supposed to play the eldest brother character but he was replaced because of sexual harassment scandal.

The drama had actually begun shooting and even released a teaser featuring the three brothers along with Oh Dal Su.

• Like 6

hi guys,

soo glad to be back and able to talk to you all again :wub:

Spoiler

a series of unpleasant things happened to me for the past one month:

I was down with cold for a week, 

then out of nowhere my ipad just got me logged out from soompi, I don’t know whyy,,so I was struggling with the password and recovery email,

and then my trip buddy has to cancel our planned trip to southern spain because she has some last minutes’ unfortunate situation. I think long and hard but finally conclude that I don’t have the nerve to travel there alone :sweatingbullets: so I just have to cancel it too..:(

Anyway, I’ve been happyyy:

- to see the fansite where my post in this thread about the My Ajusshi’s timeline could contribute a bit to @h2ogirl and @sadiesmith ‘s post there, since I was a bit sad that I couldn’t show my love to the drama through any contribution in the fansite, so there now I can see my name I’m soo happy haha..thankss to fansite editors :love:

- to see our beloved drama got nominations for some awards, and LSK for the best actor, oh my dear,,now I realy really want him to win! and yess I agree to some wishes here: red carpet pics please! greedy me, yeah :phew:

- the news on the possibility of a drama remake of My Ajusshi, I took it as the sign of how chinese producers see it as a compelling drama, interesting enough to attract viewers, hence they want to remake it. I would loove to see a japanese remake, since I have several jdrama that I love which I can see its crew would be able to tackle KWS’ tone of directing,,but chinese remake is fine, I take what I can get, as long as it will spread the love for the drama.

I admit that I can be 99% sure that no other actor than LSK would be compelling enough as Park Dong Hoon for me, since I’m very much biased about him :wub: and also because his acting as PDH is just up up there that I doubt that some actor could be able to top it. Mark Chao is a chinese actor that I like, so that could be one good factor to make me want to check the remake, if there should be any..

Some thought on recent discussion:

- I am sure that I could never, and would never, want to replace LSK and IU with other actors for their roles in My Ajusshi (the whole cast too, they are just perfect for their roles), but if I was forced to choose other korean actor with acting skill that I can accept to (try to) play the role of PDH would be  Cho Seung Woo (Life, 2018), and for the role of JA might be Woo Jin Ah (Life, 2018). Cho Seung Woo has acting chop, but not sure about the ‘ordinary but attractive’ ajusshi vibe,,while Woo Jin Ah has that ‘simple (modest)’ vibe about her, but I don’t know about taking the early vibe of ‘dark’ Ji An.

- bromance of DH and GD: I love it, but I also can see how the drama differentiate between the bromance and romance of DH and JA (yes, it’s a romance ;)), one thing for sure, DH admit his feeling on how JA is the ONE that helped him breathe, and confess about it to his brothers,,DH didn’t say ‘one of my two best friends’ or something like that, something that he can refer about the similar place and status of GD and JA in his life, they’re not the same for DH. so there, I see it as JA is not a female version of the monk.

- agree with @t123han that the confession scene of the above is one that convince me much about DH’s romantic feeling toward JA, I can’t see it as platonic anymore,,the fact that DH himself think of not saying it to her directly because IT IS A ROMANTIC CONFESSION, while he was full with family and marriage baggages.

It’s a too long comeback post, sorry guys, haha..

I’m wishing our beloved cast and crew of My Ajusshi the best for the awards!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

According to Koala's Playground, the Chinese are thinking of adapting My Ajusshi for their own audience.  Someone in the comment mentioned the rumor of Mark Chao playing Park Dong Hoon and this reminded me of a past post where a few people noticed the similarity between Mark Chao and LSK:

This is so exciting!!! Hope we get some kisses at least in Chinese version !!!! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Hello everyone :) 

I just recently finished this marvelous drama (kinda sad that I discovered it so late but better late than never ;))

I loved everything about this drama and every single relationship that was depicted in there. The casting was on spot, the music, the cinematography, the directing (just found out that is was the same director who did Misaeng). Everything. 

The relationship that broke my heart in pieces is JungHee's and SangWoon's(the monk). Ever since from that episode where SangWoon drove DH back to the city (in front JH's bar) I was non-stop crying for them. I felt in certain way sad for them not having a "happy-end" but in the end they both got salvation. Her by him visiting, and him by making that trip and giving her some kind of answers that she was hoping for.

Also the brother relationship had me constantly hanging on the tissue box. Family relationships are not easy haha...but seeing them be there and standing up for each other is truly heartbreakingly beautiful. 

And of course JA and DH. Sometimes you meet people who become such an important instance in your life that you'll always be grateful to having met that person even though life moves on without him/her. But you'll cherish these life-changing moments forever. That is how view their relationship. Sorry for being over-dramatic here, but their relationship was such a life-lesson and reflection on a personal level. I'm super satisfied with their ending, I couldn't have imaged a better one. 

About the chinese remake: I will definitely check it out when it's done.

Mark Chao does resemble PDH, but he doesn't give me the ahjussi vibe haha... :D no offense to him (his acting) or his fans, I just feel he's a bit too young for PDH. 

I think WuXiuBo would be a nice choice, character wise speaking

• Like 6

Hi everyone things have quietened down but definitely checking this often still. I’ve watched a handful of dramas already. They were good in their own ways but this drama really is different. The more I watch the more it highlights that for me. 

Im really trying not to rewatch clips but I failed again -_- I feel like rewatching the whole thing but I don’t want to feel down - we need to move on lol. Consolation is Im happy to see them nominated in some awards :). Im not expecting much but Id feel so ecstatic if they win just one atleast. They really deserve it:bawling:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Annyeong all!  :)

Haven't visited this place in a while.  Been busy with RL and all.  Anyway, I'm so glad LSK and LJE/IU are getting nominations and I really hope they win, especially LSK with the Daesang.  I just wish the rest of the cast were nominated too.  Is there some sort of ensemble award in Korea?  Coz I honestly believe they all deserve it.  

I'm also very happy to see how LJE is warmly welcomed by professional actors and how they encourage her to expand her acting experience.  They recognize her talent and see beyond her idol status, which is a good thing, because I believe she can only keep that IU persona for so long.  She has to transition into something else sometime, and becoming a seasoned actress is a good path to take.

Visited the fansite and happy to see new posts, although I still re-read the old ones.  And I'm still looking forward to fanfic updates in A03.  :D

Welcome to new posters to this thread!  It's okay if you came into this late.  I'm sure everyone here would still welcome your thoughts about the drama.  :)

MA will never really get old for me.  Right now, I'm watching an old MBC saguek called "Dong Yi" and although I enjoy it very much and love the story between the King and Dong Yi, I can't help but wish it was written by someone like Park Hae Young and directed by someone like Kim Won Seok.  Despite the grandiosity (the drama being historically set and all), I couldn't help but notice the flaws in execution and writing.  Also tried Mr. Sunshine but lost steam the moment Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's characters came together.  Not sure why, but I just kept on looking for that emotional tension that's at the same level as Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An.  MA has really spoiled me for other dramas.    

• Like 7

It's sad to learn that My Ahjussi didn't win anything at the Korean Drama Awards but it was nice to see them nominated.

To get you in a better mood try reading this fanfic from @widala

https://archiveofourown.org/works/15925955/chapters/37130174#workskin

or at

https://widala09.wordpress.com/

This piece titled 'Coming Home' provides a plausible ending after the 'handshake' meeting.

The last chapter was completed a couple of weeks ago so maybe some of you have not read it yet. It made me laugh, get teary eyed, made me content, brought me comfort and made me happy. What more can we ask for? Bravo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s truckload of filters !!! But this guy looks incredibly smexy for his age !!!!

Anyway MA has ruined other k dramas for

me. For a while I did not start any other ones since nothing excited me. But them

i watched terius behind me and kinda liked it. I don’t think I will jump the bandwagon for now with full time watch but I am

just glad that something else caught my eyes. But of course MA will always be my first love and will rewatch this next year when by then hopefully I would have forgotten some part of it.

POndering on few memories, can anyone explain why jian asked for that hug in ep 15 ?

is it to hold on to last piece of memory of ajhussi when she knew that her love for him was almost a lost cause? 

Or is it to validate his affection for her which I am sure is still hard for her to digest. I know she dint expect anything from him but when he did show her that kind of affection/ love she must have been shocked.

• Like 7

Here's a post on Drama Milk that IU fans would enjoy reading.  And the fan site got a shout-out, too.

IU FOR ELLE MAGAZINE 2018 AND MY AJUSSHI FAN PAGE!

IU for Elle Korea Magazine PictorialPin this image on Pinterest

IU (아이유), also known as Lee Ji-eun (이지은), showcases an angelic spread an upcoming Elle Korea pictorial. I don’t follow IU’s music though I know that she is a powerhouse in the industry. I actually only really found out about her from the variety show Hyori’s Bed and Breakfast and then the drama My Ajusshi (both of which I loved).

She was amazingly awkward in Hyori’s Bed & Breakfast, you just had to fall in love with her. She had a weird way of walking, a weird way of running, she took all day long to eat anything, and when she did eat something she never ever opened her mouth when she chewed; it was seriously like her lips were glued shut. On top of that, she couldn’t drive, could only cook like 2 things, and whenever she had a free moment, she slept. Basically the worst help ever.

Read the rest here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, t123han said:

POndering on few memories, can anyone explain why jian asked for that hug in ep 15 ?

is it to hold on to last piece of memory of ajhussi when she knew that her love for him was almost a lost cause? 

Or is it to validate his affection for her which I am sure is still hard for her to digest. I know she dint expect anything from him but when he did show her that kind of affection/ love she must have been shocked.

Regarding this scene in ep.15, my first watch has left me with the impression of JA asked for the hug because she wanted to have a last loving memory of her ‘relationship’ with her ajusshi, since she knew that she will leave hogye (and Saman) for good. She resolved that after the deal she made with JDY. 

However, after my second watch (and my many rewatch afterward, hehe..), I also had some other thought that JA, being so ‘nothing to lose’ in term of her affection towards DH, might have offered to hug PDH because she really thinks that DH really really need a hug (mmhh..can I volunteer?! *ahem. no? okay.).

For this offer, she could be meaning it as a friendly hug. She was fully aware on how Dong Hoon’s life was hit, blow after blow. So DH appeared to be a person that really need a hug.

So I guess if that what happened, it’s interesting to see that scene as showing the dynamic of their relationship, as ‘JA offered to hug PDH for a “platonic” reason (at that particular occasion)’, while DH has rejected the offer because he saw a hug between man and woman as a romantic gesture, period. He thinks that if they ever hug each other then it should be to show the whole world that they are in A ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP.

Here I don’t have to remind everyone of the hug they shared in ep.16 right?;) :phew::rolleyes:

It’s true, however, that the hug scene in ep.16 could be a source of another discussion, even among shipper, but I’ll talk about it some other time, haha..

Have a great week everyone, (and in PDH’s voice) let’s be happy!

• Like 6

22 hours ago, t123han said:

I'm sorry guys, but maybe you mean the attempted hug at Episode 13? Not episode 15...

So sorry, didn't mean to be "that guy", but I have to admit I've became a bit of a geek for MA :sweatingbullets: 

As for the why LJA ask to give PDH a hug, I agree with @riazni, that she really want to give him energy, to boost his spirit as a friend...

But, for PDH, this hug could mean more and be more. 

He was in a vulnerable state at that moment. He just found out that LJA defended him in front of other directors, and LJA had just told him the words he needed to hear, that he is a good person, a really good person, when he felt worthless because of the affair. And it could be he was beginning to accept that LJA to him is more than just a friend.

Later in the episode, he was ready to fight Dir. Yoon who insulted LJA, but Chief Song stopped him. Also, he admitted to his brothers that she helped him breathe, but he couldn't say thank you, knowing exactly how it would seems...

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, widala said:

I'm sorry guys, but maybe you mean the attempted hug at Episode 13? Not episode 15...

So sorry, didn't mean to be "that guy", but I have to admit I've became a bit of a geek for MA :sweatingbullets: 

As for the why LJA ask to give PDH a hug, I agree with @riazni, that she really want to give him energy, to boost his spirit as a friend...

But, for PDH, this hug could mean more and be more. 

He was in a vulnerable state at that moment. He just found out that LJA defended him in front of other directors, and LJA had just told him the words he needed to hear, that he is a good person, a really good person, when he felt worthless because of the affair. And it could be he was beginning to accept that LJA to him is more than just a friend.

Later in the episode, he was ready to fight Dir. Yoon who insulted LJA, but Chief Song stopped him. Also, he admitted to his brothers that she helped him breathe, but he couldn't say thank you, knowing exactly how it would seems...

No I am talking about the hug she got in last episode( sorry I got confused about the episodes ) . She asked PDH if she can hug him once and he hugged her on her request. 

I always wonder what what must have prompted jian to ask for that hug ? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, t123han said:

No I am talking about the hug she got in last episode( sorry I got confused about the episodes ) . She asked PDH if she can hug him once and he hugged her on her request. 

I think it was an act of desperation.  She realized their time to say goodbye has come, but she was achingly not ready to let go. By asking for that hug she hoped to imprint in her mind forever not only his words, footsteps, sounds, etc., but also his scent and the warmth of his body.  I am sure most of us have experienced moments when the inevitable could not be avoided anymore and we silently freak out inside?  I can totally picture Ji An having one of those moments here.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, t123han said:

Yes, agreed with @sadiesmith...

She asked that hug with a small smile, like she knew it was a hopeless request, "Ah. He's going to reject me again."

So, when PDH hugged her, she just stood there frozen. It took a couple of seconds for her brain to compute what's going on, and then finally she get to hug her ahjussi...

*damn ninjas cutting onions again

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I think it was an act of desperation.  She realized their time to say goodbye has come, but she was achingly not ready to let go. By asking for that hug she hoped to imprint in her mind forever not only his words, footsteps, sounds, etc., but also his scent and the warmth of his body.  I am sure most of us have experienced moments when the inevitable could not be avoided anymore and we silently freak out inside?  I can totally picture Ji An having one of those moments here.

Warmth of his body ?? My mind just went down the gutter !!!! :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Visiting this thread and reading the posts here make me sad. The memories...

Side note: while im immersed in my reading, this kind of post...

23 minutes ago, t123han said:

Warmth of his body ?? My mind just went down the gutter !!!! :) 

OH MY GOD!!! KABOOMMM!!!

That bittersweet hug. I will always remember being so happy at that moment that I got to finally see a hug between these two. I was afraid that DH would reject this request too but how could he say no to that timid smile.

It was also so sad thinking that it might have been the last contact that they would ever have with each other. (I kept pausing to check to see how much time was left in the episode. I did that often throughout the series. I loved all the characters but I always wanted more of JA and DH so I would check to see if there was more time for them to appear) The drama could have ended as DH walked away but I am so glad we got that handshake/handhold at the end.

The hug was also a bit funny for me. With DH being much taller than JA, when they first hugged JA's face was planted right against DH's chest. It didn't bother me at first since it felt right that she wanted to hide her emotions from him. But as the hug continued I thought she might suffocate with her face buried against him like that.

It wasn't the hug that I was hoping for but I got the hug. It was right for the moment. And I was hoping we would get more later.

• Like 4