[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

20 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

IU may have shed or cut a lot of her hair after the MA drama series. No offense meant but she looks more beautiful and matured (in an nice way) with her long hair.  I always like it when her hair bounces whenever she is running in some sequence. Too bad that she has to go back to her singing career and bring back the true IU.   

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

On 8/11/2018 at 6:21 AM, riazni said:

if this even making any sense, I felt like I really think of Dong Hoon and Ji An as real people in real life, people I really care about their happiness and wellbeing, so reading your analysis i was even happier since that means DH and JA was not apart for more than a year, I am soo happy for them, *Ireallyamaweirdo hahaa..

Then, I'm a weirdo too :D because I also invested in their lives as if they are real people...

I think it's was the result of excellent writing, directing and acting, and also the hard work of all casts and crews.

But, we can't deny that the LSK' s quality as an actor played a big part to bring PDH to life, and he's also known as an actor who can bring the best out of his acting partner.

This part of interview describes why LSK is the perfect Ahjussi (from Golden Fishery show, 2011)

Kang Ho Dong then asks what Lee Seon Kyun considers to be his own strength as an actor. Lee Seon Kyun answers, “Approachability.” Whereas people hold fantasy about drama characters because they’re so well-packaged, when an ordinary guy like Lee Seon Kyun plays such a character, it makes people believe that there really can be such characters in existence somewhere out there.

Read more here (thanks @sadiesmith for posting) 

And respect to Lee Ji Eun too!

I love her as the singer IU but I never watch any of her drama before, but MA makes me a fan of Lee Ji Eun the actress.

• Like 8

Last part of the Japanese magazine interview is up.  Would love to read about your favorite scenes on the blog.

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/11/iu-i-couldnt-even-bear-to-hear-the-soundtrack/

This last part is a short and somber one, but it sheds some light on how LSK is so good at making his character seem real.  Isn't that classic method acting?  Thanks @widalafor bringing that small excerpt from the 2011 interview here.

@aisling, dear friend, where have you been?  You should definitely rewatch.  Have you visited the fan site?  The latest interview just went up. LSK never confirmed or denied anything about his character's feelings, so the mystery forever remains.  But come check us out and then rewatch.  Here are some fun ones to star with: 

Ajusshi's longing looks

The gang walking Ji An home and ruining Dong Hoon's plan

Ji An's Real Farewell

• Like 9

Oh Nara is considering her next drama:

JTBC in casting mode for satirical comedy Princess Maker

by javabeans

princess_1.jpg
Yeom Jung-ah, Oh Na-ra, Kim Jung-eun

So, basically I saw the title Princess Maker and the word satire and went, “I’m in!” It’s a new JTBC drama in the works, and it’s described as a black comedy dealing with the top 0.1% of society. I’m a bit tired of dramas dealing with the creme de la creme (i.e., uppity rich folks), but hearing it’s a satirical comedy has me a lot more intrigued.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/08/jtbc-in-casting-mode-for-satirical-comedy-princess-maker/

• Like 5

On 8/11/2018 at 8:20 AM, oldschooler said:

Hi here is a post on the river scene, I have adapted from a previous post. My apology, the name of the bridge is Hangang, and not Mapo as I mentioned in an earlier post. It appears both of them have comforting words written on the railing to prevent suicide.

Hangang Bridge

This scenic bridge has been featured in a few Korean dramas (link to: https://koreandramaland.com/listings/hangang-bridge/). Because Park Donghoon’s (Lee Sun Kyun) character is portrayed with subdued subtlety, and does not betray his true thoughts and feelings to others easily, clues to his inner life are conveyed indirectly through external associations. The Hangang Bridge is the exact location which the production team chooses to portray the state of Donghoon’s mind the day after discovering his wife’s infidelity.

Park Donghoon has been wandering through the streets of Seoul for half a day, after leaving the morning football team in a huff. It is late afternoon, and the sun is setting when he plants himself in the middle of Hangang Bridge. There are comforting words written on the bridge railing to his left, but the panel where he is standing is blank. There is no fanfare, no extreme show of emotion, and any sound he makes is drowned by passing traffic. His sight pans to the river below.

But when the scene shifts to Lee Jian, we sense the urgency of the matter. All is not well. This is the Hangang Bridge. Underneath the external calm, Park Donghoon’s breathing is ragged and laboured. There is no doubt as to his thoughts during that exact moment.

Hangang Bridge

Reveal hidden contents

Her bus stops abruptly by a random roadside and she runs to him, and does not stop running until she gets him in her line-of-sight, seeing him being found by his brothers. To drive the point home, Donghoon’s brothers ask him repeatedly, “Where have you been?” He does not answer: they must not know.

Reveal hidden contents

Portraying suicide in films and dramas is controversial, especially when using a certain location associated with this topic. However there is a need to lift the taboo surrounding suicide, an understated problem among middle-aged and elderly men. I believe the production team does not use the location just for dramatic effect, but also as a potent anti-suicide message: when driven to the brink, we can choose to bravely walk away from the temptation to end our lives, even if the only barrier between us and the false comfort that we seek is a bridge railing. Following the rest of Park Donghoon’s life, we find that he has continued to live a full life, and that it is worthwhile to persevere through the indignity we suffer. However, at this moment, the Hangang Bridge scene conveys the full extent of Donghoon’s heartbreak – muted, barely noticeable, but very lethal.

Reveal hidden contents

I was also wrong in an earlier post on drawers, stating that Ki Hoon was the one who mentioned DongHoon was always slipping things through the cracks of his drawer. Actually, it was Sang Hoon, the one who is always wrong about Dong Hoon :)

Reveal hidden contents

I have to say wow this was vey well written. It really does take me back to those moments in the drama and also makes me think deeper about the scenes you mentioned. Three months on and I still haven’t moved on :wub:  but Ive definitely slowly eased into other dramas now. It’s just that MA will always have that special place 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

LSK in above pic looks like a goofball. He seems to be really fun guy to hang out with. I was looking into the comments on his friends Instagram and people were thankful that he is posting LSK pic !!! I think half his followers are bc he posts pic of LSK !!!

LSK ... why you no on Instagram ???? I miss him already.

Here is small exercise for you guys. Put your headphone and don’t watch the video just listen. The few words he speaks in the beginning... his voice.. oh god... when you don’t watch the video and just close ur eyes and listen to voice you realise the beauty of it. It’s so deep and kinda of touches deep in your heart. 

This guy should do voiceover to those guided meditation videos. I think I can go into trance just by listening to his voice.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Since this fabulous show ended, i have been reading almost all the comments in this thread. Yes, the 290 pages!!!!!! :blink:

But is has been a pleasure, so much, I feel like I know some of you guys from how your minds were changing or simply expressing yourself throughout the airing of My Ajusshi. From @sadiesmith  to @justamom, @tiger457_stv the Engineer, @africandramalover, @wotad, @noor1, @arctichare, @snowdragon, @akhenaten, @joseph lim, @mylovelystar, @timidjock0819, @chickfactor, @aisling, @ccl82, @philosophie, and some others i don´t remember right now. Shippers and non-shippers, or less shippers… Those in the Delulu Island... You guys rock! To all of you, Thank you! 

I created this account in order to thank you guys properly, for making me laugh and think and re-think about My Ajusshi, even 3 months after the show is over. I have my plans to re- watch it, so... that is why. For me, it is still very present, and in my mind I imagine how happy JA and DH are finally, although not without ups and downs sometimes, for that is how life is anyways, but together and simply loving each other like they deserve. 

I started to watching this show with no expectations at all, but also not spoiled by K-media or some other forums. Also I had nothing against the pairing or the actor who played the leads. While watching the show I avoided spoilers and even the previews, and i simply let myself go week after week, being awed all the time, and breathing hard just like them. 

Many of the details you guys mentioned were there for me as well, many i didn´t see or couldn´t pay attention, because I was so much worried about what would happen next. I cried in almost every episode, and I fell in love with Jian but also DH, although i would not fall for a guy like him in real life, just because he is too much reserved and I like an open communicative kind of person next to me. But for Jian Dong Hoon is just perfect:D. I love them together. And to conclude, for me it was clear at the end that they would be together in a very very very pure loving relationship even with children until death would separate them. For me, there was no doubt. 

Thank you again, chingus (all of you) for a nice ride in my very first soompi forum! 

Greetings from another Island! :)

Emma

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

Does anybody know exactly why people in Korea refuse LSK and IU pairing in MM? Because I found that weird since in Mr. Sunshine, the leads with huge age gap even have sweet scenes. 

Welcome @emmafaye.  Man, I would love to have been able to enjoy My Ajusshi or any other LSK's drama without any prior knowledge before each episode.  But sigh, that would never happen.

48 minutes ago, ladyrini said:

Does anybody know exactly why people in Korea refuse LSK and IU pairing in MM? Because I found that weird since in Mr. Sunshine, the leads with huge age gap even have sweet scenes. 

@ladyrini, here, read pages 264-266.  You'll hear directly from a Korean viewer.  Basically it's because age gap is a huuuuuge issue in South Korea and My Mister is a realistic drama.  But read it, here's page 264.

The characters' age difference in Mr. Sunshine is only 12 years, although the actors' age gap is 20.  Ji An and DH are 24 years apart, although the actors are only 18 years apart. Scandalous indeed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Welcome @emmafaye.  Man, I would love to have been able to enjoy My Ajusshi or any other LSK's drama without any prior knowledge before each episode.  But sigh, that would never happen.

@ladyrini, here, read pages 264-266.  You'll hear directly from a Korean viewer.  Basically it's because age gap is a huuuuuge issue in South Korea and My Mister is a realistic drama.  But read it, here's page 264.

The characters' age difference in Mr. Sunshine is only 12 years, although the actors' age gap is 20.  Ji An and DH are 24 years apart, although the actors are only 18 years apart. Scandalous indeed.

Yes, every country has different rules when it comes to on-screen romance, but they shouldn't make it obvious when it comes to IU 'coz she needs to hone her acting skills by pairing with LSK . Btw, thanks for sharing!

Edited by Guest
Please do not quote links, thanks! :)

Annyeong to our new friends on board!   :)  Welcome to the MA Wonderland.  Be warned, though. Once you've fallen down the rabbit-hole,  it's not easy to return. Hehehe. 

Looking forward to fresh insights and discoveries from you guys. :D

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

I wonder if someone has pointed this out before, but the Buy-Me-Slippers confession occurs right by Ji An's house.

n78BhLo.jpg

Now this confession seems so much more intimate to me. The fact that Ahjussi runs all the way to her home to demand his slippers from her. Aigoooo. This dude is pretty damn cute in his own Mark Darcy ways.

fd6N4xY.gif

---

@justamom @mushroomsoupie Has anyone here or at DC Inside tried mapping the Hoogye neighborhood? I'd love to have a visual of where the rail tracks, Jung Hee's bar and Ji An's place are in relation to each other.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

And look at what he ask

what did you do with MY slippers ? 

Not 

what did you do with the slippers ?

or 

what did you do with the slippers you gave me ? 

Nope..... 

its already my slippers for him !!!  In some way he has already accepted jian love for him but is unsure of how he feels hence doesn’t want to let go of her since he is still figuring out his feelings for her !! 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I wonder if someone has pointed this out before, but the Buy-Me-Slippers confession occurs right by Ji An's house.

Now this confession seems so much more intimate to me. The fact that Ahjussi runs all the way to her home to demand his slippers from her. Aigoooo. This dude is pretty damn cute in his own Mark Darcy ways.

---

@justamom @mushroomsoupie Has anyone here or at DC Inside tried mapping the Hoogye neighborhood? I'd love to have a visual of where the rail tracks, Jung Hee's bar and Ji An's place are in relation to each other.

On my rewatch I was totally not prepared to hear his passionate "I won't!"  He is so loud, practically yelling it, shocking Ji An and probably himself.  

9POYPY8WNbf5ayBR1aIEZ4bSMQ50mboQIlCq7AVDjAaoM6exUvMXBjAeR4J0BNGLqPS0F2NgoC0Ax98QKhNu2JhGcr0QbcFKNCWr_hPTDZZmEaR0pCSDcgedgF3NR9Vfty53GtR7

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

To be honest, if one day LSK gets to act with someone younger as IU or anyone else with this kind of "MM chemistry" or even filled with sweet scenes, then I will be jealous to the max. In my mind, I can only imagine LSK with IU. Omg, I just fell into the rabbit hole. Help...Hahaha!!!