[Drama 2017] Mad Dog 매드독

Go Seung Ji

@stroppyseHuh? :huh: Nonono, I wasn't going to start another bet. :D It was just  a random thought of mine. I like her, so I wished she receives some love aswell

The bet is about MJ/HR. We don't add anything to it, no need to make it more complicated. One week, as usual.

KW/HJ isn't going to happen. Kdrama rarely develops a secondary love string for actors that have passed a certain age. And the fact that KW is still mourning about his wife makes it even more unlikely. 

[Review] "Mad Dog" Episode 4

photo901677.jpg

The dog fight continues as Kang-woo and his team follow Min-joon's lead while at the same time investigating him and his potential motive. The case of Kang Eun-joo's husband clearly has foul play involved and the revelation of her past further fuels the need of the "Mad Dog" bunch for information. Meanwhile, romantic woes start to surface in the lives of leads and antagonists alike.

The plot thickens as connections come to light and I wonder how far back those go, given the latest revelations. I am sure that the orphanage will turn out to be funded by Chairman Cha (Jung Bo-suk) or something, but the fact that it is still difficult to figure out who is guilty of what, what their moral stance on the story's happenings is or who may have been pressured or threatened keeps things slightly more interesting.

Mi-ran, Eun-joo and Beom-joon during their reunionHa-ri challenging Min-joon

On a potentially less positive note, the series seems to have romance in store for its younger leads. I like the idea of a romance for people who clearly do not have much fun in life, but if the flirting between Min-joon (Woo Do-hwan) and Ha-ri (Ryu Hwa-young) keeps happening as fanservice, rather than bonding, I will start to doubt the creators' focus and confidence. The same goes for Min-joon's sudden bouts of toplessness. These characters and their relationships can and should be engaging enough without a crutch.

Their flaunted appeal could, in a worst case scenario, mean that creators think viewers may not care about justice or the heroes' pain enough if said heroes are not placed on a pedestal. The same goes for Kang-woo's (Yoo Ji-tae) overplayed, but underdeveloped drama, although his rediscovery of sympathy is an encouraging element. I also wish to see more "guest victims" with a strong presence. Personal revenge stories come a dime a dozen, but social justice ones carry more weight.

Spoiler

Kang-woo being tucked in by his teamKang-woo and Min-joon after solving a case

The antagonist trio or at least what so far feels like one continue to be painfully dull and while I do have the curiosity fueled by impatience to figure out the role of each, I wish the series would get to that already. "Mad Dog" has just concluded its introduction and we do not even know what the point of their existence in this plot is aside from what the predictability of such stories and their character types dictate.

I am not sure what to make of "Mad Dog" so far. It has some moments of brilliance with its characters, their motivations, development and with its story and mystery, but it also focuses so much on larger-than-life ideas, theatrics and caricature supporting and guest characters that it sometimes feels effortless and forced. Can we drop the barking and get to the biting, "Mad Dog"?

cr

===

P/S: Anyway guys what's ur fav OST so far? i guess Niihwa ost become my fav since i keep replaying it LOL:sweat_smile:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexandraReid said:

I am not sure what to make of "Mad Dog" so far. It has some moments of brilliance with its characters, their motivations, development and with its story and mystery, but it also focuses so much on larger-than-life ideas, theatrics and caricature supporting and guest characters that it sometimes feels effortless and forced. Can we drop the barking and get to the biting, "Mad Dog"?

I find myself agreeing with Orion (Han Cinema Reviewer), not sure I can hold on much longer. I love the cast just find the plot line frustrating and dull.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

I find myself agreeing with Orion (Han Cinema Reviewer), not sure I can hold on much longer. I love the cast just find the plot line frustrating and dull.

may i know which line frustrating? so far i dont even get bored watching the whole eps :smirk:

Sometimes Hancinema did a negative review, not only for this drama, i noticed it on other drama as well. i just dont bother read their whole thing.

• Like 2

Finally got round to watching all of Ep.1 - 4 and I'm enjoying the cast and their characters.

Definitely on the MJ and HR boat. Hahaha I mean how steamy was the slam on the wall scene, followed by what seemed like a sweet softer conversation after.

Shall be interesting to see how the plot thickens and how the Mad Dog team will become fully accepting of MJ.

• Like 2

Mad Dog: Episode 3

MadDog03-00944-copy.jpg

The Mad Dog team is caught up in a mystery that’s bigger than they ever imagined, and they have no idea where their investigation will ultimately lead them. When it comes to insurance settlements, Kang-woo is prejudiced against the beneficiaries, but some policies may be designed to resolve cases and end further investigation. Min-joon wants Kang-woo to dig deeper, but what exactly does he want him to discover?

EPISODE 3: “1 vs 4”

MadDog03-00027-copy.jpg

The entire Mad Dog team reacts with shock when Kim Min-joon reveals that he’s the younger brother of Kim Beom-joon, the pilot who crashed Flight 801. Min-joon lists the times that he and Kang-woo almost crossed paths, which included a trip to Germany to meet his foster parents. Kang-woo didn’t know that the Gebauers had abandoned Min-joon years earlier and didn’t even save a photo of him.

Kang-woo grabs Min-joon by the neck and shoves him against a pillar just as video clips of the Mad Dog team appear on Noo-ri’s monitors, proof of their illegal activities. When Kang-woo scoffs, clips of Soon-jung’s nurse friend, Detective Jo and the retired professor, fill the screens.

MadDog03-00081-copy.jpg

With Kang-woo’s hand still grasped around his neck, Min-joon asks, “Should we all fall into a bottomless pit?” Kang-woo tightens his grip and then suddenly releases Min-joon, who compliments his decision to spare the jobs and reputations of Nurse Oh, Detective Jo, and Professor Byeon.

Min-joon confesses that he wants Mad Dog to bring him what he wants. Kang-woo wonders why Min-joon thinks that they’ll cooperate with him just as he gets a call from Manager Park asking, “Kang-woo, are you insane? Why would you send me a cake?”

Ha-ri is about to run out when Min-joon clarifies that he sent three cakes: one to Manger Park at Taeyang Insurance, one to the police station, and one to the hospital’s offices.

=== Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/mad-dog-episode-3/

COMMENTS

Just what in the world did orphans become involved with that they are disappearing one by one? Are Beom-joon, Kang Eun-joo and Ms. Lee the only ones who will be victimized, or are there others? Mad Dog just took a sharp turn as it revealed that there is more to this story than the mystery of Flight 801. Mad Dog reminds me of one of those jigsaw puzzles with thousands of tiny, interlocking pieces that all work together to create the entire picture. I think that’s what we have here, and why seemingly insignificant details may end up being very important down the road. The trick will be to sort out the red herrings from the facts that are key to solving the larger mystery.

Kang-woo nailed the mood at this point in the story when he complained that he can’t see anything clearly. Who exactly are the bad guys that are behind such a sophisticated and well hidden scheme? The soft-spoken and kind Chairman Cha wields more power that one would expect for the CEO of an insurance company, as Hyun-gi has already figured out. Hyun-gi himself is pretty suspicious as he lies that his father may awaken from his coma and make Hong-joo uncomfortable with his unwanted attention.

Spoiler

There’s also the main suspect in the death of Kang Eun-joo’s husband, a scientist who probably used that parabolic structure in the building that borders the parking lot to ignite the lighter and kill his friend.

MadDog03-00436-copy.jpg

Not only did we learn that there is a bigger mystery at play, we got some backstory on Soon-jung, which was significant for many reasons. It’s hard to imagine that an ex-convict as tough as Soon-jung can be victimized in an insurance scam, but love will do that to you. Oh Mi-ja entrapped Soon-jung just so she could frame him for her crimes if she was ever caught, and it worked, but mostly because he was willing to sacrifice himself for the woman that he loved. It was so sad to see Soon-jung realize that he was used. But just when he was at his lowest, his life was turned around by an insurance investigator who dug deeper and discovered the truth, an insurance investigator who recognized that Soon-jung was a very good person underneath his tough exterior. Soon-jung’s life was never the same after that, and it explains why he’s so devoted to Kang-woo and is willing to do anything for him.

Kang-woo’s assessment of Soon-jung is the very same conclusion that Kang Eun-joo came to regarding Min-joon and Kang-woo: that they’re good people. But something in Kang-woo died when he lost his family, and he doesn’t respond when others reach out to him, which is the reason that he can’t see things clearly. Instead of recognizing that the young widow is desperate and alone, Kang-woo dismissed her as a scammer because of that insurance policy. He looks at Min-joon the same way—because he was awarded so much money, Min-joon can’t be a victim. No, in Kang-woo’s mind, the only victims are the passengers who died on Flight 801 and their families. But Soon-jung is the voice who reminds Kang-woo that you can’t trust appearances (he just needs to remember that when he sees Min-joon). Oh Mi-ja wasn’t who she seemed to be either, and Lee Soo-oh’s case may not be as simple as Kang-woo thinks. That truth is becoming painfully obvious now that Kang Eun-joo’s past links her with Min-joon’s brother and the late Taeyang Insurance planner who is connected to so many troubling cases.

MadDog03-00822-copy.jpg

• Like 1

bwhoaaaa finally watched episode 3... what is going on? :lol: the narrative is not the clearest.

off to see episode 4!

Two things that bugged me

1) Who is the beneficiary of Ms Lee, the insurance lady if she is an orphan?   If this is an insurance scam of the deceased, her case is the odd one if she doesn’t have surviving family members. Also, did she sell the insurance policy to Choi Kang Woo’s wife days before the flight?  Why?

2) Beom Joon switched the watch with MinJoon, intending to get it back after his trip.  He plans to return so this is not a mindset of a suicide person.  His happy demeanor is different than what it was hours later.  What happened in the airport during those hours before he boarded the plane?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

bwhoaaaa finally watched episode 3... what is going on? :lol: the narrative is not the clearest.

off to see episode 4!

Two things that bugged me

1) Who is the beneficiary of Ms Lee, the insurance lady if she is an orphan?   If this is an insurance scam of the deceased, her case is the odd one if she doesn’t have surviving family members. Also, did she sell the insurance policy to Choi Kang Woo’s wife days before the flight?  Why?

2) Beom Joon switched the watch with MinJoon, intending to get it back after his trip.  He plans to return so this is not a mindset of a suicide person.  His happy demeanor is different than what it was hours later.  What happened in the airport during those hours before he boarded the plane?

1) LMR has only sold insurance policies.She was just an insurance planner but so far, it seems that she worked with GJC. Then it was never mentioned that she would sign such a contract for herself. People assumed that she had killed herself for fear, she would get prosecuted due to the insurance contract with KBJ. She had helped KMJ to create a con, since KMJ was the beneficiary. When she went to CKW's house, LMR actually sold her a new insurance policy.

2) In my opinion, KBJ's odd behaviour has something to do with the pills he took. I don't believe that he would take medicine against depression... to me, the pills could have been exchanged without him noticing it. And that's the reason why KMJ doesn't believe in the suicide of his brother. Their meeting showed that KBJ wanted to live with him and was looking forward to spending more time with him.  

• Like 2

On 20.10.2017 at 10:43 PM, stroppyse said:

Okay. I'm fine with just the MJ/HR bet as well. FWIW, I also don't think that KW and HJ are going to be together. KW is still raw and hurting from his losses. No matter how sympathetic HJ may be, I don't think KW will be ready to move on to a new relationship for a long time, if ever.

I am enjoying the MJ and HR interactions though. There is a very flirty push-pull that is developing between the two of them. I think so anyway. :)

Yep, I think so too. Which is a little sad, because I actually like HJ. She's not only beautiful, but she seems like an honest person who doesn't play the game her father does. 

You just want to win the bet. :lol: So you will cheer on everything. I really hope that they don't go down that route. During "Save Me" we also had some flirty moments, but we never got something specific. Love stories during crime dramas always feel a little off.

And it's about time I win a bet. :D 

Mad Dog: Episode 4

We’re getting to the bottom of the mysterious car fire case by doing what the Mad Dog team does best: an elaborate caper. However, they’ll need Min-joon’s help to pull off this job regardless of his trustworthiness if they want to know for sure whether it was really suicide, or if something more menacing is afoot.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

MadDog04-00003.jpg

At the orphanage, suave conman Min-joon finds the photo of his brother standing alongside Mad Dog’s new client Kang Eun-joo and former Taeyang broker Ms. Lee, the woman responsible for Min-joon’s brother’s insurance policy and the policies of murderer Go Jin-chul’s earlier victims.

Not long afterward, Mad Dog leader Kang-woo arrives and spots the same photo. His eyes flare as he recognizes Ms. Lee.

Spoiler

MadDog04-00046.jpg

He inquires about the photo with an orphanage worker, who says that Min-joon also asked about the picture earlier, and that the woman Min-joon asked about hasn’t been back since it was taken two years ago.

Kang-woo asks if Min-joon was looking for Kang Eun-joo, but the orphanage worker says he was looking for Ms. Lee instead, and Kang-woo wonders why Min-joon is trying to find a dead person.

Spoiler

MadDog04-00078.jpg

Back in his lair, Min-joon remembers his last encounter with his brother, and we see Ms. Lee meeting with the brother right before Min-joon arrives. Min-joon handed over his watch and coldly walked away, refusing to acknowledge his relation to his own brother. When he stops reminiscing, Min-joon reveals a hidden panel with a timeline detailing the pasts of the three members of the orphanage photo and starts to draw connections between them.

Kang-woo heads back home, but as he enters, he hears a hallucination of his wife and son calling for him, temporarily distracting him.

He digs out a box of files on his investigation into the plane crash and notices that the date the copilot received his insurance policy was the same day as the photo from the orphanage. He brings this info back to the Mad Dog office, and they notice that Kang Eun-joo’s husband, Lee Soo-oh, also got insurance from Ms. Lee that day.

MadDog04-00160.jpg MadDog04-00158.jpg

Meanwhile, Min-joon looks after Kang Eun-joo in the hospital, and urges her to wake up so that they can help each other as promised. Nurse Oh suddenly inquires about Min-joon’s relation to the patient, and kicks him out when she catches him lying that the patient is his sister.

But as he leaves, he asks how Nurse Oh knew that the patient had no brother, and guesses that Mad Dog’s aspiring nurse, Sung-joon, must have told her. Min-joon hints that he knows all about her connection to Sung-joon, and saunters out of the room pleased with himself.

===Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/mad-dog-episode-4/

COMMENTS

The enigma that is Min-joon fascinates me more than anything else in this show. All we really know is that Min-joon is a smooth-talking trickster, but that surface-level analysis is about as far as our understanding of his character runs at the moment. There’s no real sense of why he created his conniving persona to begin with, nor why he specifically needs to involve Mad Dog to accomplish his goals, whatever they may be.

He clearly suspects something is fishy about the plane crash, but we don’t have a great idea of what exactly that could be, or even how deep it might go. There are hints, certainly, that Chairman Cha and Hyun-gi are somehow involved in something dubious, but the “what” (as Min-joon would want us to look for) is currently unclear.

I wonder if Min-joon really needs to force Kang-woo to jump through hoops to figure out what Min-joon is after. If, after all, Min-joon believes there’s a larger conspiracy at play in the crash of Flight 801, does he really think Kang-woo needs an extra push to motivate him into investigating more deeply?

Spoiler

Kang-woo strikes me as someone who, if he had even the slightest inclination there was foul play involved, would be ruthlessly digging as much as he could to get to the bottom of it. So why does Min-joon bother with all the evasive riddles when simply opening up about his suspicions would not only lead to his desired result, but would also probably ease a lot of the tension the Mad Dog team feel toward him?

MadDog04-00791.jpg

Because, as we saw today, when Min-joon is actively working together with everyone else, they absolutely kill it. Their infiltration of the pharmaceutical company was practically flawless, and even when trouble did arise, Min-joon’s quick thinking ensured their success. Imagine how cohesive they could be if they actually trusted Min-joon!

I think, though, that they’re gradually warming up to him. I’m not exactly sure if Kang-woo is actually starting to trust him, or if he’s just pretending so he can see how Min-joon responds (and I wouldn’t put it past this show to do that), but I’m taking his willingness to let Min-joon improvise during their operation and later invite him to join the team for dinner as a positive step.

But it does all come down to trust in the end, and Min-joon is a hard man to trust. Even when he shows vulnerability, like he did when he talked about sleeping on the floor in a variety of less-than-desirable locations, he can just as easily turn around and claim that he was making it all up for sympathy. Was he actually revealing something about his past? I don’t know! And that’s precisely the problem he created for himself by constructing this persona. It’s impossible to trust his words because everyone knows he’ll lie about anything and everything.

However, there are more pressing questions now that we know Ms. Lee didn’t actually commit suicide, and I suspect Kang-woo will put aside his goal of figuring out Min-joon while he dives back into Ms. Lee’s transgressions. We never really saw Kang-woo obsess over the Flight 801 investigation, though Hong-joo certainly implies that he let it consume him, so now that a seemingly major player suddenly resurfaces, it’ll be interesting to see how far he’ll go to uncover the truth. I suspect, though, that whatever he finds is only going to be the tip of the iceberg, and there’s something much darker lurking beneath the surface.

MadDog04-00565.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I think HJ is caught between what she thinks is right and her father. She does seem like an honest person, but she's clearly in over her head wrt her father and the creepy son of the Juhan Air owner, though the creepy son doesn't seem nearly as smart as HJ's father. However, I have no sympathy for him getting played after he beat up his driver for losing the file that HJ took. When he was sneering that he had given the driver the choice of taking a beating or going to jail, so that it was of the driver's free will to be beaten up, I lost any and all sympathy for his character.

As I was thinking about this though, perhaps HJ can eventually join Team Mad Dog? And, after her father is outed and ousted, then she can take over Taeyang Life Insurance and run it in proper fashion.

@Dhakra, it's not that I JUST want to win the bet. I really think that HR and MJ are off to a cute start with the writer having written interesting ways to force the characters to interact one on one, something which HR probably would have completely disdained otherwise. While there had been moments of altercation previously, the attempt by MJ to let HR sleep on the bed and the comment by MJ about the places he had slept was I think the first moment of sincerity in his speaking with HR, even if he then tried to laugh it off as a joke afterwards.  And it was lovely that HR is perceptive enough that she seemed to reflect on it a bit rather than brushing it all off as MJ just being an a Richard Simmons about it.

I would be fine with you winning the bet, but for the sake of poor, lonely MJ, I would be happy to win the bet so that MJ could develop a family (the Mad Dog team) as well as get the girl. :D But, yeah, as much as I may regret it afterwards, it's not in me to not want to win. This is why I don't bet a lot. Monte Carlo, Macau, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City are dangerous places for me. :lol:

I'm interested to see where HJ's path goes, remember how she cried in the car as soon as the plane crashed. Maybe she even is somehow involved in all this or at least knows more than she admits. I guess she also feels somehow responsible for the crash. She undoubtly has feelings towards KW, which is a pain on its own. I always suffer when I see a girl cry because of unrequited love. 

The son of the Juhan Air owner is just pure trash, I didn't like him at all. He tries to flirt and touch HJ all the time, he so disgusting. He beauting up his driver was predictable, he's a guy who relies on his fathers power. To be honest, he's my #1 "I hope he dies during the drama" character. 

I don't think so, because when the plane crashed she didn't seem surprised. She cried, yes, but it felt like she expected something like this to happen. So her joining Team Mad Dog wouldn't be much appraciated by MJ.

@stroppyseNah, I don't see it happening. Yeah, they had a sweet moment but sharing a room with someone isn't the #1 indicator that they're going to end up together. MJ was sincere when he talked about the places he slept before, and HR wasn't unaffected by it, since she opened her sleeping bag again to think about his words, but still, I doubt they will start a relationship soon. After all, she is Player Jang, and her creating feeling towards MJ would eventually interfere with her work.

Maybe we will get something when the drama hits the later stages, my guess would be around ep11/12. 

@stroppyseWell, let's see. As long as it fits the story and doesn't interrupt the flow and the storytelling of the drama, I'm okay with it. I guess this drama has more to tell :) 

I would be a lot more relaxed if this was a OCN Drama. :D