[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

An epilogue is well-deserved! Thank you for translating, @ohLIME

I know it is a sad story overall, but I still celebrate the fact that LCY really does love XF and vice versa. The two factors that lead to this tragedy are LCY bagage to carry out revenge for his mom and LCY wanting to pursue (and keep) the throne (perhaps in order to bring suffering to those people who killed his mother).

LCY wont be as malice if they didnt kill his mother (which is something that he cant control anyway), or if he remains in the dark about how his mother died.

If only he remains a tea seller and forget this messy revenge, he would have been well off too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ohLIME said:

Sure! My Chinese is grade school level so I might miss some of the nuances, but here’s the gist of it.

Reveal hidden contents

The epilogue is told from the perspective of General Pei Zhao’s son (the dude with the stern eyebrows who’s basically Li Cheng Yin’s right hand man). He grows up with the crown prince, Li Cheng Yin’s only son. It’s implied that Li Cheng Yin doesn’t care much for procreating or spending time with his concubines after Xiao Feng’s death. He’s a fantastic emperor, and the kingdom is in a period of great prosperity, but he’s very cold— even to his only son. 

One of the random concubines eventually gives birth to a daughter (the concubine dies in child birth so there’s not much about her), and Princess Chao Yang becomes the center of Li Cheng Yin’s world and his only source of real happiness. And then, she dies. The epilogue doesn’t really describe how, though it might have just been poor health. The important thing is what this death does to Li Cheng Yin. His hair goes white overnight and his health deteriorates rapidly. Eventually, an aging Pei Zhao visits Li Cheng Yin, and their conversation sheds light on how Li Cheng Yin’s been coping with the loss of Xiao Feng. He’s lied to himself the whole time, willing himself to believe that she ran away back to Western Liang. Rather than believe she died, he insists, “She fooled all of us— she just left, that’s all.” In this alternate version of reality, Li Cheng Yin also convinced himself that Princess Chao Yang was his and Xiao Feng’s daughter, which is why he doted on her so much. The saddest part is that the princess didn’t even look all that similar to Xiao Feng; Li Cheng Yin’s longing was so strong that he willed himself to see things that way. 

So in the end, he never forgets Xiao Feng, and never stops suffering from losing her. He sees his kingdom flourish, but lost all hope for real companionship and happiness when he lost Xiao Feng. It’s the ending he deserves, but it’s also just.. so tragic. 

Wow...I didn't think it was possible for them to make the story more tragic, but they managed it...T_T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clawedzip said:

Wow...I didn't think it was possible for them to make the story more tragic, but they managed it...T_T

I have to agree the author did make this story so much more tragic. One wonder this book was ranked one of the saddest in China. Also, the author is famous for making her male leads suffer with sad endings. Lol. Not funny at all. 

• Like 2

https://cfen.si/2019/02/24/gorgeous-shots-from-goodbye-my-princess/

She looks beautiful in red.  

61d1dc63ly1g06azwuv6hj21400me7gy.jpg61d1dc63ly1g06azvk7a3j21kh2iohdv.jpg61d1dc63gy1g068yxazhfj21kh2ionpe.jpg0060JcxTly1g0e4o2j0uaj32qf1d8e81.jpg61d1dc63ly1g078luhpznj21k951cqvb.jpg

Melodrama Goodbye My Princess is turning out to be a very enjoyable watch for me. Peng Xiaoran is delightful as Xiaofeng, and while Chen Xingxu struggles to deliver in some of the major emotional scenes, he does a good job bringing out the more ruthless side of Li Chengyin / Gu Xiaowu.

I find the interactions between Xiaofeng and Gu Xiaowu before and after they jump down the River of Forgetfulness to be really sweet, but then I just get depressed thinking of what Xiaofeng has been through and what they will go through after Xiaofeng regains her memories. Romance aside, I’m also really liking the ambitious prince’s political machinations – it’s not every day you see such a character as the male lead.

Any thoughts on the drama so far?

Scenery locations: Xinchang (bridge), Dunhuang and Bashang Grasslandsa1707613ly1g0gw55f27tj20yi1lu4qq.jpg

Spoiler

PXR IS BEAUTIFUL IN RED:kiss_wink: The Firefly is so sweet.

a1707613ly1g0gw55f27tj20yi1lu4qq.jpgp160617187.webp61d1dc63ly1g06azwuv6hj21400me7gy.jpg61d1dc63ly1g06azvk7a3j21kh2iohdv.jpg61d1dc63gy1g068yxazhfj21kh2ionpe.jpg0060JcxTly1g0e4o2j0uaj32qf1d8e81.jpg61d1dc63ly1g078luhpznj21k951cqvb.jpg

:joy:

61d1dc63gy1g0gdega0mwg20jt0cme8j.gif61d1dc63gy1g0gddqotjnj21i02ionpe.jpg

Stills credit to KiAile美诗倾城, -Wangqiann, 一个帅桃
Illustration credit to 呼葱觅蒜

• Like 4

Chen Xingxu Breaks Hearts As The Hated Hero of Goodbye My Princess

Goodbye+My+Princess+33.jpg

In almost every show we watch, particularly in dramas, there's always a character whom we love to hate.  Most of the time, it's the conniving antagonist, other times it's the spineless side character and in rare occasions, it's the hero.  In Goodbye My Princess 东宫, the male lead is the one drawing ire for being the biggest jerk ever. Warning: This contains spoilers from early episodes. 

Chen Xingxu plays Li Chengyin, the 5th prince who is handsome, charming, smart but no knight in shining armor to Xiao Feng, the princess played by Peng Xiaoran.  

In an effort to secure his position in court, Li Chengyin assumes another identity to get close to Xiao Feng and gain her trust. They marry, yet their wedding day also marks a tragic day. He becomes directly responsible for the death of Xiao Feng's family despite being saved by her and owing her his life.  The trauma he causes is so great that Xiao Feng willingly jumps into a river of forgetfulness to erase all of their past memories. 

For using Xiao Feng, betraying their vows and worse, massacring an entire tribe, Li Chengyin takes the crown as a most hated protagonist. Goodbye My Princess is based on a novel by Fei Wo Si Cun, an author arguably known for her heartbreaking romance stories. Did you get your tissues out yet? 

The drama has spawned several memes poking fun at Li Chengyin's idea of love as the kind of love that's full of lies, kills an entire family, you get the gist. Most people often wish for a happy ending but in this one, many believe the male lead deserves to live the rest of his life alone or be killed by Xiao Feng. What do you guys think of Li Chengyin as a character? Do you love him or hate him?

Credit:

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/02/chen-xingxu-breaks-hearts-as-hated-hero.html

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

For using Xiao Feng, betraying their vows and worse, massacring an entire tribe, Li Chengyin takes the crown as a most hated protagonist. Goodbye My Princess is based on a novel by Fei Wo Si Cun, an author arguably known for her heartbreaking romance stories. Did you get your tissues out yet? 

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/02/chen-xingxu-breaks-hearts-as-hated-hero.html

Actually rather than tissues, it would be more appropriate to prepare a punching bag along as well. 

I am pausing on ep.12, waiting for more episodes to get subbed. But I have a feeling that I would really need a punching bag soon, especially as XF enters the Eastern Palace, with amnesiac LCY, the harem, the inner palace politics, blast from the past, and so on.

• LOL 3

On 2/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, lovecarnation said:

i just started watched this drama, does someone can tell me is this drama good to watch??? because i see the main leads are beautiful and handsome..lol:joy:

Glad to see you here. I just started watching this drama as well but still way behind, just finished ep.5. Just like you, beautiful & handsome leads boosted my C-drama watching spirit :lol: Plot sounds great too.

• LOL 1

Someone here mentioned just heard the Director has apparently confirmed that they are working on an alternative ending so that both the book martyrs and love fools can get what they want. Don’t quote me on it but I’ve seen several posts now and it has apparently been commissioned by Youku (probably because they realised how successful the drama is).
Copied from someone posting.

Also, I heard the same thing but I think they will show both ending to satisfy book fan and others. Let you choose which ending for yourself. Alternative ending maybe be an extra episode. Haha...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pad-hari said:
  Hide contents

Omg!!!, The shifu also dies, is it?  Does the ML kill him too?  Nooooo.  Actually I have SML syndrome.  He is so charismatic and manly.

Yeah,he kills him,he things he is Gu Xiaowu and that she is hidding it to save him while Shifu if they go by the book to save A Du, while LCW forces XF to watch him being killed...Mainly if u don't wanna be spoiled over the full drama don't watch any of the MV's related to ti as like all chinese dramas u will kinda see all of it in their promotional MV's...

• Sad 1

Does anyone know why there aren't new episodes,is there some festivity this week or something?and not the ones posted on YT...

I think this might be the only drama in all my drama watching so far that i'm glad it ends in tragedy as for all it happenes i can't see them together and LCW is such a frighting character that never deserved XF's love nor mercy...I guess the only one i'm rooting is for XF and A-du even if i know how it will end,at least she did find her freedom as sad as it was.i trully wanted her to escape and be happy but i know it won't be possible as he would chase after her even at the end of the world...I'm all for love and romance but this one just can't root for them no matter what after all the blood that is between them,just too twisted for him to get his happy ending,he trully deserves a life of suffering
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, rinkyu said:

Glad to see you here. I just started watching this drama as well but still way behind, just finished ep.5. Just like you, beautiful & handsome leads boosted my C-drama watching spirit :lol: Plot sounds great too. 

hi...i'm missing you too, and so happy can see you on here...this story is okay but i must say maybe this is for the first time on chinese drama i'm really can't agree with the male lead acts...

Spoiler

I could not agree with the actions of him who attacked the Danchi tribe in this way, because he had built good relations with the Danchi tribe and then attacked their tribes ... it felt like a betrayal of feelings and betrayal of relations, because they had behaved well to him. I prefer to fight boldly and gentle with not having to deceive the feelings and beliefs of the person, because the fight between two parties who don't have the right relationship like a good friend will be better than pretending to be good and then betraying them. , it was very painful for people who had given all their trust to him ... that was a part I could not accept from the treatment of a male lead maybe in a story ... and I'm starting to feel maybe this story won't end happily ... but yeah ... I'll continue ...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, pad-hari said:
  Hide contents

Omg!!!, The shifu also dies, is it?  Does the ML kill him too?  Nooooo.  Actually I have SML syndrome.  He is so charismatic and manly.

Spoiler

I also feel that GJ is better than LCY at this time, but XF blames him because he introduced XF to GXW and he knows that their tribe will be attacked ... I feel sad when he is hurt by ADU and falls into a cliff, but the good thing is he finally survived and reappear.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Does anyone know why there aren't new episodes,is there some festivity this week or something?and not the ones posted on YT...

I'm also trying to figure that out...does anyone know when they are going to resume airing the show?

• Like 1