[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

7 hours ago, XxchinesedramacrazexX said:

I also cant believe he allows her to be poisoned? And he sets fire to her place? God I want to love LCY but he is making it very hard for me to do so

Seriously! If it makes you feel any better, he gambles with his own life just as much. In Li Cheng Yin’s universe the relative importance of things is something like:

Revenge on everyone who plotted to kill his mom > His kingdom > Xiao Feng > his own life 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rouzmary said:

Ya, know...what I'm really curious about is - once Xiaofeng regains her memories and remembers everything...why doesn't general Pei tell Chengyin that Chengyin is in fact GXW? Surely general Pei must know that Chengyin is looking for a GXW...sooo, I wonder about that. Does general Pei somehow not know about the search for GXW? hmmmm

atleast in the drama, no one knows about XF.. the only ones alive who know about this are adu and gu jian and maybe their master (the guy strzategizing for LCYIn)

everyone else has no idea about XW.. remember when Pei met heroine, lCYin told him to pretend to not know him.. nobody mentions GXW.. infact i doubt they even know he almost married her

• Like 1

I tried to recall the day they got married, and all I cal remember is that the wedding was only witnessed by Danchi Tribe and A Du. Pei Zhao was outside of Danchi border, preparing the attack. Gu Jian....I completely forgot where he was at that time.

Only few survivors know the name "Gu Xiao Wu": perhaps only Gu Jian, A Du and Pei Zhao know this name, and all of them seem to keep their lips sealed in front of XF and LCY. Both Gu Jian and A Du seem to want to start fresh, thinking that removing that name completely will make sure XF can have fresh start.

...As about Pei Zhao...Does he even know that XF and GXW are a couple, and that bringing it up is somewhat important? I dont think so. I even think that perhaps LCY initially wants plots his life as GXW as entirely fake, including any romantic relations. But then he is reunited with XF whom he met before.

He wanted to keep his life as GXW as fake life, but the time he refused to hand XF to Gu Jian after the massacre (meaning: he is no longer GXW, but LCY), we know that LCY has real feelings for XF, and wants to keep XF as his real wife.

But it is confusing for me....

Because... if he acts like LCY at that time, should he be claiming XF as future wife of the crowned prince (not as his wife)? It really doesnt compute to me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ohLIME said:

Seems like there's a lot of curiosity around how/what Xiao Feng remembers after she enters the palace, so I'll add on to what @dito has shared already. Putting it under a spoiler tag so those of you who are disciplined enough to wait can enjoy the surprises as they happen! 

Reveal hidden contents

What's already aired so far (up to episode 24): 

• Between episodes 20-24, Xiao Feng learns that Li Cheng Yin led the army that wiped out Danchi, her grandfather's tribe. This happens a few days before their wedding ceremony. Xiao Feng runs off to meet the delegation from Western Liang (who are in town for the wedding), and they actually aren't the ones to break the news to her-- General Pei Zhao had already ensured that they would lie to Xiao Feng and say that her parents + family are doing fine. She's a bit suspicious when they can't give an answer as to why her grandfather didn't send delegates from Danchi to celebrate her wedding, but mostly shrugs it off. Xiao Feng learns the truth eventually because Se Se tells her (RUDE), and she immediately confronts Li Cheng Yin. That's the scene where Li Cheng Yin has Xiao Feng pinned down and says, "Did you think this marriage was between you and me? It was always between the Li Dynasty and Western Liang." It's pretty harsh, but also his way of getting Xiao Feng to go through with it. Sadly, it means that she'll enter into the marriage hating him. 
  • To be clear, she doesn't remember anything of their past history at this point. There's no talk of Gu Xiao Wu yet because no one (except Ah Du, Gu Jian, General Pei Zhao and Cai xian shen) knows about what happened between Xiao Feng and him.

How the rest of the story might unfold: 

I say "might" because these are my guesses based on the novel + scenes from the original trailer and MVs. 

• Xiao Feng remains in the dark about her past for a few years into her marriage. She and Li Cheng Yin fight a lot, but she eventually finds herself falling for him anyway. In the drama, it looks like Li Cheng Yin built a memorial hall for Xiao Feng's grandfather out of respect for him as a warrior/leader. She's touched by this, though (understandably) still upset at him and not willing to see him as a real husband. The previews for episodes 24-28 show scenes where Li Cheng Yin is taking care of Xiao Feng after the wedding when she falls ill, but there's way more scenes of them yelling at each other because 1) she hates him and 2) he's taking Se Se's side on one thing or another. 
  • At some point, there'll be an assassination attempt at night and Li Cheng Yin will be injured badly in the process of protecting Xiao Feng (it's probably the scene in the trailer where he steps in front of her and gets stabbed in the chest by a sword). This is the turning point in the novel when their marriage shows the slightest hope of working out, since Xiao Feng gets really worried about him and spends days and nights taking care of him. 
  • Happiness never lasts long in this story, though.. Xiao Feng is taken away by Gu Jian after an assassination on the emperor (Xiao Feng offers herself as hostage to rescue the emperor), and after getting a bad fever, she regains all of her memories. She returns to the palace with her memories in tact and quickly realizes that Li Cheng Yin has forgotten everything. 
  • This last part of the story is all dark and twisty. Xiao Feng chooses not to tell Li Cheng Yin about the past, but she doesn't hide from him that "Gu Xiao Wu" is the love of her life and that Li Cheng Yin tore her and her true love apart. All technically true-- just not in the way Li Cheng Yin interprets it. He thinks that Gu Xiao Wu is Gu Jian and sets a trap (using Xiao Feng as bait) to kill Gu Jian. Rough stuff. 
  • Xiao Feng doesn't have much of a chance to confront Gu Jian after she regains her memories. They do have one last conversation as he lies dying in her arms; it's really sad in the novel because she's crying and yelling at him, "Why did you have to be so stupid? You could have escaped. I never loved you." It's implied that Xiao Feng forgives Gu Jian after realizing how important her happiness is to him, and how he would give everything to salvage the last bit of her happiness. 
  • Li Cheng Yin never has a chance to talk to Xiao Feng after regaining his memories. It's her last act of retaliation before she commits suicide-- triggering the realization that he was Gu Xiao Wu all along. Again, rough stuff. 

Phew, that was a lot! ~30 episodes seems on the long side for the rest of the novel's plot, but the drama's been adding quite a few side stories in. Fingers crossed that some of these will be sweet moments for Xiao Feng and Li Cheng Yin! 

In the novel, there was a palace maid who got pregnant with LCY's child as well. Pretty sure it's going to take up some of the remaining 30 episodes. That being said, the reason why LCY had a one-night stand with the palace maid was sad as well. He was really drunk and he saw the palace maid, dressed in red and singing - she seemed to remind him of something he had lost but can't remember what. The thing he had lost being Xiao Feng. He brought her back to his palace because of that, thinking he had found what he had lost.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hellojustpassingby said:

In the novel, there was a palace maid who got pregnant with LCY's child as well. Pretty sure it's going to take up some of the remaining 30 episodes. That being said, the reason why LCY had a one-night stand with the palace maid was sad as well. He was really drunk and he saw the palace maid, dressed in red and singing - she seemed to remind him of something he had lost but can't remember what. The thing he had lost being Xiao Feng. He brought her back to his palace because of that, thinking he had found what he had lost.

This is just devastating. If it made it to the drama, I think I will skip the episode altogether. Too much for me.

If the writer's aim is that, he could have just aimlessly draw her and wept, or something like that, rather than getting some palace maid in red pregnant. That is just...too much.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, marinated_lemon said:

This is just devastating. If it made it to the drama, I think I will skip the episode altogether. Too much for me.

If the writer's aim is that, he could have just aimlessly draw her and wept, or something like that, rather than getting some palace maid in red pregnant. That is just...too much.

Omg yesssss!!! I agree. I really hope they modify that part of the story for the dramas sake!!! Otherwise.....that's just too tragic for our leads, but the author/writer probably included that in the story for that paricular reason and perhaps another factor to really hurt/haunt LCY towards the end. Sigh.....At the very most he could bring that maid/servant to the palace only and nothing more. :'( 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marinated_lemon said:

Yea, I was devastated when I first read that part. No matter how much the novel tried to show that her appearance was just to get the plot moving and how LCY did not give a crappp about her at all (yes, he ignored her, used her to take down the empress and se se and refused to see her after she lost her baby), I still hated that part. But it is what it is, sadly. It made it to the drama, I have seen pictures of the actress playing her. She seemed to have quite a number of scenes, she should appear by next week I think!

Edited by hellojustpassingby
change of words
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, ayang23 said:

Omg yesssss!!! I agree. I really hope they modify that part of the story for the dramas sake!!! Otherwise.....that's just too tragic for our leads, but the author/writer probably included that in the story for that paricular reason and perhaps another factor to really hurt/haunt LCY towards the end. Sigh.....At the very most he could bring that maid/servant to the palace only and nothing more. :'( 

Doubt they will modify it :( anw she was brought into the palace by the empress and given one of the lowest concubine rank but was sabotaged by the empress into losing her baby. From the start to the end, LCY did not give a single crappp about her at all. She's actually quite a sad character, although I wished she did not appear in the story (pregnant as well urgh) at all. The drama would probably maintain the gist of this arc 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, hellojustpassingby said:

why was LCY sad about what he had lost that led to the one night stand? I thought XF was still in the palace at that point? 

6 minutes ago, XxchinesedramacrazexX said:

why was LCY sad about what he had lost that led to the one night stand? I thought XF was still in the palace at that point? 

Yea but LCY lost all his memories then and felt very empty about losing something so dear to him which he can't remember. He does not know the XF in the palace is the one whom he has subconsciously been searching for. He only remember vague feelings and little things about her - red clothes, singing etc. It happened at the very start of the novel, and in the novel he did not think much of the XF in the palace; in fact, he kind of despised her cus looking at her gives him heartache. They changed it up a little in the drama and I'm looking forward to see how the drama is going to add in the pregnant maid arc, pretty sure they wouldn't leave it out. Just a matter of how are they going to present it 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 12blbl said:

So what happened to LCY after XF killed herself at the end in the novel? 

Someone gave a summary of an epilogue of what happened to LCY a few pages back.

Oh no, a pregnant maid to come:scream:, my heart just can't...ughhhh!! Poor XF :bawling:.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, XxchinesedramacrazexX said:

Binged watch ep 21 to 28 without eng subs...so confused on what is going on LOL but I love seeing LCY and XF interactions...sigh...although he treats her badly in front of other ppl, at least it is obvious he cares a lot for her

I also watched without subs - just can't wait for the episodes on Viki.  I really want to ship LCY and XF even after all that happened, but watching LCY and SeSe scenes doesn't help his case (even though we know he doesn't have real affection for her).  

For those who watched the wedding scene:

Spoiler

I may not have interpreted right because there were no subs.  When LCY entered her chamber and heard her with the knife, he stopped.  Was this because she was planning to kill him or herself?  I wasn't sure what her intention was.

@dito @ohLIME @hellojustpassingby Thank you for all your insight about the novel and what may happen as the storyline progresses.  It's like torture waiting for the episodes to come out on Viki.

A few comments / questions about later in the storyline:

Spoiler

After XF metions Gu Xiaowu's name, does LCY's personality change?  It seems in the beginning (despite all that happened), he is pretty level-headed and doesn't act on impulse.  However, in the drama preview, his expression looks really dark whenever Gu Xiao Wu is mentioned.  

Also, does XF ever realize that LCY actually loves her despite all of his betrayal?  It seems like after he killed her grandfather, she believed he pretended to love her for his plans (even though he tried to convince her his feelings were real).  And now in the palace, she sees that he always sides with SeSe.  Does she ever realize he is doing it to protect her?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, churasan said:

I also watched without subs - just can't wait for the episodes on Viki.  I really want to ship LCY and XF even after all that happened, but watching LCY and SeSe scenes doesn't help his case (even though we know he doesn't have real affection for her).  

For those who watched the wedding scene:

Reveal hidden contents

I may not have interpreted right because there were no subs.  When LCY entered her chamber and heard her with the knife, he stopped.  Was this because she was planning to kill him or herself?  I wasn't sure what her intention was.

@dito @ohLIME @hellojustpassingby Thank you for all your insight about the novel and what may happen as the storyline progresses.  It's like torture waiting for the episodes to come out on Viki.

A few comments / questions about later in the storyline:

Reveal hidden contents

After XF metions Gu Xiaowu's name, does LCY's personality change?  It seems in the beginning (despite all that happened), he is pretty level-headed and doesn't act on impulse.  However, in the drama preview, his expression looks really dark whenever Gu Xiao Wu is mentioned.  

Also, does XF ever realize that LCY actually loves her despite all of his betrayal?  It seems like after he killed her grandfather, she believed he pretended to love her for his plans (even though he tried to convince her his feelings were real).  And now in the palace, she sees that he always sides with SeSe.  Does she ever realize he is doing it to protect her?

Agreed. Viki is just too slow. 

There is one thing I am iffy about. Sometimes it seems like LCY thinks that he likes Sese? Or he just wants to make himself believe he likes Sese? idk..maybe that is just me...

the wedding scene breaks my heart. LCY looks at her so many times, but XF just ignores his gazes.

• Like 2

Having rewatched episode 21 with eng subs, isn't LCY is the way he is because of the environment he is placed in and the people who are in his life? For example, LCY feels bad for XF for involving her in the sibling struggle for the throne but his master tells him to learn to be more cold-hearted and stronger. He then said to LCY that in order to protect those he loves, he must make his heart impenetrable.

So...I honestly don't think LCY was that cold-hearted and cruel in the beginning since he showed some remorse for his actions like killing the Danchi tribe. The events that occurred afterwards  molded him into who he became later and made him crueller in hopes to gain political power and to protect XF. I guess he just lost his sense of morality along the way. his jealousy for GXW (which is so annoying since GXW is him....)  mightve made everything even worse

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1