[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

It is the Righteous Army guy whom Dong Mae let go that shot him. Why did they do that? What are they thinking of? But good news is he did not die as Hee Sung is nearby and went to save him. Need to watch again with subs later.

• Like 4

Speculation Time: Could that Dong Mae and Ae Shin scene in E18 preview be a hallucination/past memory while Dong Mae is being operated on to remove the bullets?  Possible, no? Because in that scene in the preview - 1) there is no indication that he was recently shot and is recovering from two bullet injuries. 2) they were on civil terms in E17, so seeing Dong Mae invading Ae Shin's personal space like that and looking angry seems a bit out of place.  OR some time has passed, he is fully recovered and he is after the RA guy who shot him, hence the anger.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, marfisa said:

This time AeShin gave the coin to Dong Mae politely and also thanked him.  Just saying... character  evolution...

Even though she is under no obligation to give him this ransom/extortion money in a civil way, she has already been giving him the coin politely - it was shown in a very brief scene in last week's episode. This time, she thanked him for his help in bringing that undelivered letter to her grandfather.

Character evolution? Politely disagree. More like basic common decency from Ae Shin despite the circumstances.

• Like 4

Hi again Soompiers.  I've yet to watch the unsubbed Ep 17 on dailymotion.com before posting my thoughts o the episode and feedback/recap from others on this thread and others websites.

To be honest, I'm rather disheartened that after going through 16-going-on 17 (no pun intended, The Sound of Music!) episodes of AS, EC, DM, HS, HN, and other characters anticipating (and, for some, suffering early ramifications of) a critical point in the Joseon era before the Japanese colonization, I'm still seeing comments disparaging characters/actors' depiction including "lack of facial expressions/emoting due to possible botox injections".  I believe that all the cast ensemble have sufficiently (I'd say outstandingly, but anyhow) shouldered their characters, plot/conflict, and dynamic of the drama.

Also, for those insisting on pushing AS and DM together and for AS to immediately accept DM's actions due to his tragic past, I want to point out one thing that we, as viewers, need to consider not just here but in any other drama, movie, or other fiction work: Just because we the audience (and maybe some other characters) can see, understand and/or, if applicable, sympathize/empathize with the overall characterization/plight/background of these characters does NOT mean that they are fully or even aware of, let alone understand/sympathize/empathize, the other's circumstances or perspective.  I know that tends to be rather frustrating for the sake of both the character and the plotline, but this also happens to us in real life.  So, while I wouldn't mind seeing AS and DM reach some sort of understanding over their overall position in the midst of Japanese rule of Joseon Korea in the next 8 episodes, right now I have yet to see them actually discuss about what and why the other has been acting or thinking thus far (unless someone can show scenes of them having any of these exchanges in today's or earlier episodes that I might've missed).

Again, I haven't watched today's episode yet, so maybe what I'm about to say is already occurring here:  I want to see AS shift her main thoughts/concerns from her relationship/future with EC to the current affairs of her household (particularly her grandfather), the RA, King/Emperor Gojong and his army, and the rest of Joseon.  Judging by some recaps/feedbacks here and on https://www.dramamilk.com/mr-sunshine-kdrama-recap-episode-17/, it looks as though Wan Ik or even King Gojong is targeting AS' grandfather (aka head of the Go household) as the official scapegoat :angry:.  If AS' grandfather get branded (and executed :o) for his cause, then AS is about to lose whatever security or life she has had as a Joseon noblewoman, especially once Japan takes over.  And then her relationship with EC and even her fight for Joseon independence won't be the only issues AS has to worry about losing; she will need to start adapting and fighting for her own safety and future (and, if possible, her happiness).

As always, please correct me if I missed any significant plot point or characterization.  I look forward to hearing more on your thoughts on today's episode and the overall trajectory of Mr. Sunshine!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, marfisa said:

This time AeShin gave the coin to Dong Mae politely and also thanked him.  Just saying... character  evolution...

hahahaha, i told you guys right. The kind of evolution that these guys (DM fan) want to see from AS is nothing more than showing politeness to DM. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Speculation Time: Could that Dong Mae and Ae Shin scene in E18 preview be a hallucination/past memory while Dong Mae is being operated on to remove the bullets?  Possible, no? Because in that scene in the preview - 1) there is no indication that he was recently shot and is recovering from two bullet injuries. 2) they were on civil terms in E17, so seeing Dong Mae invading Ae Shin's personal space like that and looking angry seems a bit out of place.  OR some time has passed, he is fully recovered and he is after the RA guy who shot him, hence the anger.

Sorry for quoting my own comment but I was reading dramamilk's translation of the preview and some other thoughts came to mind:

From dramamilk's translation of the preview: Dong Mae: – I will be someone for you from now on. Because now I don’t care if I make the entire world my enemy. -

hmm, maybe he wants to join the RA and be her comrade/shield yada yada? Too late dude, she already has EC for all that.

OR

maybe he takes it upon himself to punish/beat/kill people who are spreading rumors about Ae Shin's broken engagement - if so,  I fully expect parts of the fandom (high on entitlement) to expect, nay demand that Ae Shin recognize DM's actions and reciprocate in some way or another. As for me, I hope she firmly knocks some sense into him - she doesn't need someone being a white knight on her behalf, specially someone for whom she has no reciprocal feelings of love at all.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

Can i just say how cool and bad a** looking EC was while riding his horse in Go estates, :wub:he was like move out you richard simmons you are in my house ..:D

Eugene always make grand entrance during critical moment haha!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

12 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Sorry for quoting my own comment but I was reading dramamilk's translation of the preview and some other thoughts came to mind:

From dramamilk's translation of the preview: Dong Mae: – I will be someone for you from now on. Because now I don’t care if I make the entire world my enemy. -

hmm, maybe he wants to join the RA and be her comrade/shield yada yada? Too late dude, she already has EC for all that.

OR

maybe he takes it upon himself to punish/beat/kill people who are spreading rumors about Ae Shin's broken engagement - if so,  I fully expect parts of the fandom (high on entitlement) to expect, nay demand that Ae Shin recognize DM's actions and reciprocate in some way or another. As for me, I hope she firmly knocks some sense into him - she doesn't need someone being a white knight on her behalf, specially someone for whom she has no reciprocal feelings of love at all.

Hi @mistergenie.  The DM fandom may be swooning over the "coin/debt exchange" (which, btw, still gives neither AS or DM any substantial understanding of the other), the candy/shootout scene, and the preview (with DM walking in slow-motion with his sword toward AS while narrating about being someone for her despite turning against the world), but AS has more pressing matters at hand that she, at the moment, can't be bothered with having to knock some sense into DM.

AS' grandfather, along with his fellow nobles, is imploring in front of the palace over King/Emperor Gojong's (or is it Sunjong now? I'm losing track of any time changes in the drama) capitulation to the Japanese at the expense of the Joseon citizens, and, judging by the Ep 18 preview, is under arrest by the police (Japanese or Korean? I can't tell).  Meanwhile, the Japanese police discovered AS' attendance at an English school (where they arrested the English teacher there as a spy) and is ransacking her home.  Not to mention Wan Ik's foreboding gaze at AS' direction in the next episode preview.  At this point, AS' own life, safety, and future (and that of her grandfather, EC, and her loved ones) are at stake now.  She has no time to ponder DM's questionable actions/mission; heck, she may not even have time now to continue getting involved in the RA movement or pursuing her relationship/future/happiness with EC when she's facing unsettling turmoil in her own home.

Since I watched the unsubbed Ep 17 and do not really understand Korean, please let me know if I missed any other key plot points or characterizations.:)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KDramaLogic said:

Hi @mistergenie.  The DM fandom may be swooning over the "coin/debt exchange" (which, btw, still gives neither AS or DM any substantial understanding of the other), the candy/shootout scene, and the preview (with DM walking in slow-motion with his sword toward AS while narrating about being someone for her despite turning against the world), but AS has more pressing matters at hand that she, at the moment, can't be bothered with having to knock some sense into DM.

AS' grandfather, along with his fellow nobles, is imploring in front of the palace over King/Emperor Gojong's (or is it Sunjong now? I'm losing track of any time changes in the drama) capitulation to the Japanese at the expense of the Joseon citizens, and, judging by the Ep 18 preview, is under arrest by the police (Japanese or Korean? I can't tell).  Meanwhile, the Japanese police discovered AS' attendance at an English school (where they arrested the English teacher there as a spy) and is ransacking her home.  Not to mention Wan Ik's foreboding gaze at AS' direction in the next episode preview.  At this point, AS' own life, safety, and future (and that of her grandfather, EC, and her loved ones) are at stake now.  She has no time to ponder DM's questionable actions/mission; heck, she may not even have time now to continue getting involved in the RA movement or pursuing her relationship/future/happiness with EC when she's facing unsettling turmoil in her own home.

Since I watched the unsubbed Ep 17 and do not really understand Korean, please let me know if I missed any other key plot points or characterizations.:)

I am not unduly worried about AE Shin's involvement in the heady matters you have described in your post. Willingly or not, she will end up being caught up in major events, and it will be quite interesting to see what steps she takes to resolve certain sticky situations (namely her grandfather's arrest and Wan Ik). Whatever the case, her character is not static nor stuck in some weird one sided obsessive loop where her life revolves around one person only (same cannot be said about a pathetic DM) - she is dealing with multiple things and those things don't have to be exclusionary - like, she has to let go of one thing to tend to another - life doesn't work that way - when everything important to you is on the line, you fight for everything - you don't drop something nor push something to the back burner.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

I am not unduly worried about AE Shin's involvement in the heady matters you have described in your post. Willingly or not, she will end up being caught up in major events, and it will be quite interesting to see what steps she takes to resolve certain sticky situations (namely her grandfather's arrest and Wan Ik). Whatever the case, her character is not static nor stuck in some weird one sided obsessive loop where her life revolves around one person only (same cannot be said about a pathetic DM) - she is dealing with multiple things and those things don't have to be exclusionary - like, she has to let go of one thing to tend to another - life doesn't work that way - when everything important to you is on the line, you fight for everything - you don't drop something nor push something to the back burner.

True, I think AS is perfectly capable of assessing and handling these multiple circumstances in her life (her fight for Joseon independence, her involvement in the English school, her grandfather's protest/arrest, her relationship with EC, that ominous encounter with Wan Ik, etc.) all at once.

My point is that all of those matters described above are far more important to AS than DM, who (with his one-sided obsession) has no place in both her heart and her concerns unless he tries to harm those within AS' close proximity.  After 17 episodes, AS and DM still haven't established any mutual understanding of each other's positions, let alone form any dynamic worth shipping.  Thus, there's no reason why AS should feel- or be held- responsible for whatever actions/decisions DM makes allegedly on her behalf- something which, in your earlier post before the quoted one above, you mentioned that the DM fandom will most likely insinuate or declare that AS should be doing based on the Ep. 18 preview.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, KDramaLogic said:

True, I think AS is perfectly capable of assessing and handling these multiple circumstances in her life (her fight for Joseon independence, her involvement in the English school, her grandfather's protest/arrest, her relationship with EC, that ominous encounter with Wan Ik, etc.) all at once.

With so many plot movements happening now, I was thinking that it would have been great if we had 30 episodes. Honestly, I am always apprehensive when the final few episodes of any kdrama start their run towards the finish line. Why you ask? Well, it is because it has been my past and regular experience with many a kdrama where they tried to  fit too much into the final few episodes which inevitably lead to rushed conclusions and nonsensical, twisty (just for the sake of being twisty) endings that poured water over all the previous development of the earlier episodes.

• Like 3

Oh no, @rubie it'll not be fun without you. I hope you reconsider and run the remaining 7 episode together, but ultimately it's up to your decision. I love and appreciate your contributions to the thread always.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Text preview for Episode 18

Go Sahong's imprisonment enrages Joseon people.

Takashi started questioning Eugene and Aeshin's relationship.

In chaotic Joseon, DM stops in front of Aeshin with sword out to protect her....!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Seoulmemories, sorry about your feelings, but stalker doesn't need to spend entire time on AS for being considered as a stalker. He attached a follower to AS to get reports about her. Try to see that from AS's point of view. Until Hina told her about DM's cause for visit in today's episode, AS saw only bad moments of DM. It's just this episode that she knew about his good deed for the first time. As I said, he needs a big impact on his character to grow, and I think this episode showed us beginning of that. but I guess I shouldn't talk about it because you don't want me too? 

If you want to talk about DM, talk about DM. Not sure why you feel that you need to gag other people, and attacking AS or EC or real person is better option than talking about character you want to talk. Being offensive never is a good way of persuasion. 

* edited to add, what's wrong with actress who are doing Hotaru from BH entertainment? 

• Like 9

DMs arrest and interrogation was shown as a bit fun too.

But that table with devices, and a bloody tied up DM, that was creepy.

Ofcourse that DM would never say any name, not just the ones

he was asked about.  

Its nice that it was proven, that its not true that everyone hates DM in the town,

like that maid said.

Is there even a shipping thread for AS-DM at soompi? Just asking... maybe I should drop by to see how's the party over there. :ph34r:

Anyhow, seeing remarks on the fans being brought up over and over again.... *sigh* 

DM is never gonna get AS, period. DM knows it and KES has also established that I believe in that temple visit episode. No worries, he won't be kidnapping her to Antartica, she will no doubt put a bullet in his skull for it. On the other hand, AS too won't be bothered by any other man because her heart and mind are already occupied. That is the premise of the drama. Do we even have to keep bringing up unnecessary remarks on the 'impossible' to the extent of seeing members leave the thread? There is no fun in that. Fans of all characters should be able to enjoy constructive discussions on their loves and critics of the drama and its characters without having to deal with disrespectful remarks towards them for not favoring any one character. Can we stick to that please? Thank you. @Berou has put up posts on this as pinned above. Feel free to read them even if you don't have the time.

Anyway, @rubie, come back. You are our main source for the tidbids. We need you. @Seoulmemories wasn't referring to you, so come back please. And @Seoulmemories I know you are frustrated but we do not have to drag LBH or KYJ into this. Chances may be slim as I have seen fans left this thread before, but do come back as well. 

I will drop by again once I watched the subbed version of ep. 17, if I have anything to say that will not attract unnecessary hates nor take too much of my time in writing my thoughts so as not to offend anyone here. This thread has become rather too sensitive of late that I find my vocab doesn't have enough polite words that can please everyone.

Cheers!

Edit: @USAFarmgirl, I really appreciate your post on AS. It makes me rethink my position on the character. Mayhap my expectation is too high because I put up high hope for her since the beginning and got rather disappointed when I didn't see what I hope to see (e.g. definitely NOT DM-AS loving one another :tounge_wink:). Perhaps my position of her will change later as the plot thickens. Your latest post is beautifully written as well. Thank you, sincerely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

It's hard to list up what I feeling from today's episode. Sorry this is going to be a long post.

Thoughts on today's episode. (Episode 17).

- Peach PPL .... urgh. so awkward.

- Aeshin is looking for the opposite of sad ending. I hope we may get one in the end.

- Hina's astute not to leave anything in writing. This scene in the bakery between Hina and Aeshin is important, HN point blank said DM did it for AS's grandpa. Another thoughtful line from HN is that to HN, AS seems to be there in the room 304(probably equiv. of Eugene's heart) always. Very on point statement.

- Argh.. looking at those yangban lads in training. Not prepared and doesn't even have any respect for important skills they'll need in near future. 

- WI starts not looking so scary, but we'll have more evil villain in last scene who's much more scary without being loud.

- stagnant water tends to rot. I don't like LJM, but he's a memorable character.

- I always love EC's quiet rage, this time toward WI. I was shouting yay! at the scene.

- I do want to EC and AS to assassinate all the bad people at night, but I guess that'll change this drama to fantasy. 

- Jang Dongyun's delivery needs work. Hope he'll get better.

- Kwansoo! so glad to see him in action again. Enjoying and having a blast dissing Eugene. Probably tool to relieve a stress of being a double spy, but so funny. 

- DM and EC bromance!

- DM and EC had real enlightening discussion here. EC told DM about power of having a choice. I think this will be part of reason he'll make a different choice in the future.(Probably next episode?)

- Revenging death of parents more or less feel like a duty of child in culture, so not doing that is something extraordinary especially if you have means to. I love scene between EC and HS's mother, in this episode and in previous episode. EC made a closure on his parent's death. by giving them forgiveness (just not in the name) and fully clear HS from it. 

From scene from last episode where he asked for a valley where his parents dump ground is as a payment from LMJ, this chapter for him is done. I'm glad his deed fits the meaning of his name.

- Leo from french legation seems to be a spy who get money from Japan and made LJM agent lady Kang as a double spy. Kang will be betrayed in the near future, but prob. after impacting damage on LJM.

- Eugene told hangrang abum about the informant. Very smart move from EC.

- I love EC as drill instructor! Though those yangban lads are aweful bunch so far.  I googled and the method(PRI) with go stone is real training method esp for those who are in-experienced. 

- Grandpa Go is thinking about Eugene and trying to be in his shoes(maybe?) Possible clue for his future attitude change toward EC?

- Broken engagement and HS crying over wedding letter. It's heartbreaking scene. Also I'm very disheartened to hear about people disparaging AS on street. And badmouthing AS saying that she's flawed because she was raised without parents. 

- Usually astute Kwansoo very much wrong about HS-AS break-up. 

- Kwansoo having a time of his life getting back at Eugene for EC's attitude to him being dragged away by DM's men. 

- Funny scene between LJM-Gunner Jang-Eugene. This scheme of LJM only works because Eugene invested so much already to back off. 

- Hotaru's prediction of death. It's first time she got it wrong, isn't it?

- DM worrying AS going out and hearing people talking ill of her. He seems to be a bit disappointed when she said a promise is a promise, but got moved when she thanked her. He almost cried.... 

- HN baiting lady Kang. Got confirmation of their meeting from rickshaw man

- I guess HN's mother is dead. From HN's old photo,  I wasn't able to match mom to proper age actress that i know, so wasn't sure who that will be, thou I don't remember LJM actually confirmed HN mom's whereabout, but i guess it ends like this. 

- Another long waited dating scene between Eugene and Aeshin. These 2 love birds are too cute, EC is really a fool and totally in the hand of Aeshin. 

- Grandpa Go doing petition for the king. Along with what's in preview, I'm afraid of another tragic event, not just against Grandpa.

- There's wedge between WI and Hayashi. But then, I guess WI always had limitation not being real japanese. 

- DM getting shot from previous RA fighter who he let go and monitoring for a while. I guess DM stopped monitoring him. He was shot 2 times, but considering rifle at that time if those didn't hit crucial body part he may not die. (And considering preview I think that's what happened). Again HS came to rescue! And DM is a soul who's glad it's not her who shoot him. I think this is the beginning of DM's change. 

- The new villain Takashi! He's the one from episode 1 who visited Eugene when he was packing for transfer to Joseon. I though he was at least a real friend to Eugene, but doesn't look like one esp. when he was mentioning status difference between Eugene and himself. I wonder how he's going to guess relationship between Eugene and Aeshin, maybe thru musicbox? or Eugene appearing to protect Aeshin's household? 

I thought Takashi may be from based on real japan politician, but seems that it's wrong of me. Takashi seems to be in higher position(colonel) and being higher class in Japan, may wield more power. I wonder how Eugene will solve this situation! Argh... can't wait for tomorrow.

In the episode 18 preview, 

(scene : Eugene seems to meet Takashi in Glory hotel)

Eugene: I tell them not to be afraid even though the enemy might seem indestructible

(scene: Hina and Japanese officer?soldier fighting with sword. Japanese soldiers watching around them. Hina seems to have advantage in the end)

(scene: Chosun police arresting protesting scholars, grandpa Go at the front)

Takashi: People risk their lives to protect the country. The commoners. They call themselves the Righteous Army.

(scene: HS writing to make newspaper. Writing year of 1903)

(scene: meeting between gunner Jang in uniform and grandpa in prison, gunner Jang bowing deep to grandpa)

(scene: WI seeing Aeshin and Hamandaek outside, probably gunner's hut?)

WI: If that fool had a child, it would be her age.

(Aeshin bowing deeply to Gunner Jang and then gunner Jang doing the same)

AS: I don't regret making any of my choices

(scene: Dr. Matsuyama operating on DM. DM's right and left arms watching in the same room)

(scene: DM standing in front of AS with sword out)

DM: I intend to become a man of use for you from now on. I don't care if I have to make the whole world my enemy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Guys any idea about the rating for episode 17? Hope it will jump to 16 or 17 %at least 

@Ahpheng

I miss reading your strip.."come here, come here" now :D

And those members who left the thread Pls. Do Comeback.. I Miss reading your insights and opinion,

Lets  enjoy this awesome, funny, historical, heartwrenching and most of all " shippmaker" :D drama together till the last episode

*awww the ratings drops according to wiki from 15 to 7 % :tears:

Edited by elfvanvan
  • Like 4