Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

3 hours ago, mistymorning said:

There are so many things for HS to write, but I think big events he needs to cover in his paper,  to fight for the cause of Joseon would be these 2.

1. Use of Japanese issued currency in Joseon. This and later monetary reform turned Korean economy belong to Japanese economy, so this should be the biggest issue at the moment.

2. Scholar's demo led by grand pa Go.

======

In episode 17, Byun Yohan filmed a scene where he was weeping with sorrow, adding to his sufferings. Character Huisung was reading some document, started crying and couldn't help his quiet grief. What would be the reason for this, when HS is usually a jovial person?

What do you think this document is? Wedding letter? Or entirely different document?

Great points! :D  I'm guessing Grandpa Go left a letter for HS asking him to look after Ae Shin. The tears. :bawling:

I'd love for him to write the greatest tribute to Lord Go.  Their relationship albeit short was very meaningful to a man who was at odd with his own grandfather.

This screenshot is from episode 3, the first time we met Hee-Sung. It centered his shadowed figure below the stacked books with the Japanese building/palace looming through the window.  Is this the future for our HS?  Becoming the voice for RA and Joseon under Japanese occupation.  The pen is mightier than the sword they say.  LWI may have controlled the post office but not the voice of Joseon.  I hope Hee-Sung find his life's purpose, a higher purpose, in the prints and words.  

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.35.57

In honor of Hee-Sung and his great big heart.^^

Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.16.48

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.55Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.13.12Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.16Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.09.33Screenshot 2018-08-30 18.10.07

Credit: tvn

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Great points! :D  I'm guessing Grandpa Go left a letter for HS asking him to look after Ae Shin. The tears. :bawling:

I'd love for him to write the greatest tribute to Lord Go.  Their relationship albeit short was very meaningful to a man who was at odd with his own grandfather.

That's one possibility.

15 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

This screenshot is from episode 3, the first time we met Hee-Sung. It centered his shadowed figure below the stacked books with the Japanese building/palace looming through the window.  Is this the future for our HS?  Becoming the voice for RA and Joseon under Japanese occupation.  The pen is mightier than the sword they say.  LWI may have controlled the post office but not the voice of Joseon.  I hope Hee-Sung find his life's purpose, a higher purpose, in the prints and words.  

Well, in 1907, Lee Wanyoung and Japan imperialists announced "Sinmunjibub" to control newspapers. By the law, all Joseon people who want to publish a newspaper they need to get a permit(which was already in place before 1907), needs to report 2 copies before they let any daily newspaper out, and ultimately newspaper can be closed if it's being deemed as disrupting the peace of society. So Japanese imperialist can basically remove any article before issue, and close any if they don't like it. They can close, fine, jail journalists and confiscate press machines.

This is really dark period, so in my case, without the love I am not sure I could endure watching it. Only love this passionate can be the source of power so I can endure grim historical events depicted in this drama. For that I applaud KES for writing this period with this deep sensibility and balance, and not forgetting to ask hard questions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, in 1907, Lee Wanyoung and Japan imperialists announced "Sinmunjibub" to control newspapers. By the law, all Joseon people who want to publish a newspaper they need to get a permit(which was already in place before 1907), needs to report 2 copies before they let any daily newspaper out, and ultimately newspaper can be closed if it's being deemed as disrupting the peace of society. So Japanese imperialist can basically remove any article before issue, and close any if they don't like it. They can close, fine, jail journalists and confiscate press machines.

Thanks for letting me know about the historical facts.  Good thing HS is fluent in Japanese.  The only thing left is to weasel his way into Lee Wan Ik's heart. Hmmmm, betrothed to Hina? ;)  Newspaper is a great source for rebel communication. LOL

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Thanks for letting me know about the historical facts.  Good thing HS is fluent in Japanese.  The only thing left is to weasel his way into Lee Wan Ik's heart. Hmmmm, betrothed to Hina? ;)  Newspaper is a great source for rebel communication. LOL

LWI is more than likely liking HS for his money :P And, I think LWI liked HS for his courteous manner speaking about Glory Hotel and Hina, but ergh... to think of LWI as a father is too scary. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

After Mr Sunshine Netflix's Best Supporting Character clip posted last night, here's one from tvN. Not as many choices but with other characters as well. Check it out. Well, my pick is still Kyle! :lol: 

@USAFarmgirl Well-said! :wub: Everyone writes so remarkably well, good points from both sides by avid drama fans. No fluffy stuff but valid insightful arguments without fist-fighting or hair-pulling.. right..

@mistymorning Totally appreciate the awesome info and news that we might not be aware of. Please keep on sharing!

Tomorrow is MR.SUNSHINE day! Always be cool, shining bright! mrs.jpg

• Like 9

Meanwhile Lady Ae Shin in Joseon, rocking the power of PPLs :D

August 31, 2018

Drama 'Mr. Sunshine' fuels popularity of retro parlance

Source: The DONG-A ILBO

5b886fcc0216d273824c.jpg

“’Love’ hago sip so (I desire love).” This was one of the many lines that can be found at a chat room on a Korean portal site where the viewers of Mr. Sunshine, a popular drama on tvN channel on August 19. The room quickly filled up with replies with old Korean expressions such as “Nado geureo hao (Same here),” “Ebeon saeng eun gleosso (Not a chance in this life).” Small chit-chats followed even during the drama was being aired. The content of replies varied, but they used the “hao” style at the end of each sentence. 

The viewer ratings of Mr. Sunshine surpassed the mark of 15 percent, according to Nielson Korea on August 19. The average viewing rate of those aged between 20 and 49, which are considered as the most critical viewers population, stood at 9.3 percent, beating all competitors with the same time slot. Popular dramas are naturally followed by a great scale of fan base. But there is something peculiar about the avid viewers of Mr. Sunshine. 

Set against the era of the Korean Empire, the show is fueling the popularity of retro style outfits and accessories. An increasing number of consumers are looking for “the enlightenment period look.” On-line shopping malls and rental shops of traditional Korean clothes are promoting their products on social media, hashtagging the name and the style of Go Ae-shin, the female lead of the show, which is played by Kim Tae-ri. 

In many Internet communities, people leave comments to identify the brand of hairbands worn by Kudohina, a Japanese character in the show played by Kim Min-jung. Those items were all shown in the drama as part of a product placement advertisement, also known as PPL. In fact, many people leave comments attesting to their first personal purchase of traditional Korean clothes. In an Internet community frequented by male consumers, tips are being shared on how to grow a beard like Kim Hui-sung, a male character played by Byun Yo-han in the show. Auction, an online shopping mall in Korea, announced that the amount of sales of retro fashion and daily times, such as pearl necklaces and traditional purses, has soared as much as five times year-on-year. 

Kyu-Jin Shin newjin@donga.com

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Even with Ae Shin's cold resentment, Dong Mae makes their

rare meetings unusual.

Like when he was calmly sitting on the tracks

with his sword next to him.

Nice.

• Like 2

Mr. Sunshine episode 16

Flower in hair not in fashion anymore?

mrsun16_02.gif

Captain Eugenie.. do you need a roomie? :lol:

mrsun16_03.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

Thougths - second theory

Haha, I think arrested Lord Go stay in arrest and Eugene take care of Go residence, servants, property, Aeshin. This conversation (if you want my silence, you have either kill me or trust me) maybe is in his room where argue Lord Go/AS/EC in ep 16 :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

New picture stills of Mr Sunshine. Not sure why is Eugene arrested.

Credit: @goblin_mrsunshine IG

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

@charray  RE: Eugene tied up - Ooh! This is intriguing. Is that Lee Jeong Mun's side profile (in blue dress) in one of the pics? Did he order the arrest? The soldiers around Eugene - they're Joseon ones, right? The Japanese have a blue tinged uniform. But the red bands on their sleeves and caps are throwing me off and  making me think that they're Japanese soldiers.

• Like 4

Oh dear.. the preview and captures for tonight's episode doesn't look good for everyone. :unsure:Is someone making EC a scapegoat.. yet again? Even a job with the Emperor may not protect him and those close to him? Seeing EC tied up brought out a bad feeling that someone will be killed off.. not necessarily the ones shown in the preview. :sweatingbullets: Could be another tragic twist no one expected.

Beautiful Firefly..

• Like 5

@mistymorning can you stop calling DM calling him a stalker, he was locked up for a number of days and when he got out, he investigated and give help to grandpa's. And yet he is still branded as a stalker? He is actually very busy running his businesses which showed, when he got out of captivity, he had to cover a few places immediately. He doesn't spend all his time on AS.

Once I get fed up,  I might start attacking the botox face of EC?   if you don't like DM, just don't talk about him. Like I never talk about EC.

This is a bloody Lee byun Hun thread. I see now the Hotaru character actress is from his company too.

Goodbye.

Here’s some new picture stills of Dong Mae who seems to be shot. Hope someone will come to his help and save him. Maybe it will be Ae Shin again? Not sure what is the current state of their debts now? :)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seoulmemories said:

Once I get fed up,  I might start attacking the botox face of EC?   if you don't like DM, just don't talk about him. Like I never talk about EC.

This is a bloody Lee byun Hun thread. I see now the Hotaru character actress is from his company too.

Goodbye.

I'm sorry that Kim Yong Ji is from BH Entertainment. 

Last post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3