[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@marfisa Wished I had written about it earlier, the news came out 2 days ago after @mistymorning posted about Lee Byung Hun finishing his filming on August 27.

Spoiler

The same day he took a flight to Venice with his wife. LBH is attending the 75th Venice International Film Festival Red Carpet Opening & Dinner on August 29. Along with Benedict Cumberbatch, they are Jaeger-LeCoultre PR & Brand Ambassadors.

Because this is the drama thread mainly for related drama discussion, I only posted the Venezia news at Lee Byung Hun soompi thread and on twitter instead. Maybe there is still time for you.. if you'd like catch him in Venice. Not sure if the security would allow it but worth a try, he's quite accommodating for autographs and photos with the waiting fans. ^_^

Recently Korea's movie magazine CINE21 posted an online highlight of MR.SUNSHINE's main cast by posting throwback photos when they appeared for movie pictorials published by the magazine over the years.

Check out the past captures of Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han and Kim Min Jung. All of them are drama as well as movie actors in their own right, successfully collaborating in the acclaimed hit series MR.SUNSHINE. Most of the (veteran) supporting cast are all incredible movie actors as well.

Photos: CINE21

• Like 7

@Ahpheng Regarding your latest C-Strip - Oh Come on! That boat ride was anything but hostile. If there was any hostility, Ae Shin wouldn't even have asked EC to be her wherry man in the first place. She was curious about him, like he was about her - hence all the questioning back and forth in the boat - but none of it was hostile. In fact, although unacknowledged, the boat ride was the beginning of their romance. Remember ending of E7: AS: This love is quite hard. EC: I should never have taken that boat ride.

• Like 5

@rubie  thank you anyway, it is too late as I should have planned the trip in advance. But I see that he comes often to Venice festival,  so maybe next time! I think I will keep an eye on it... 

edit to add: it could have been fun writing on a big cardboard “Mr. Sunshine” and helding it in the crowd so as to attract his attention... eheh. 

Edited by marfisa
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

@Ahpheng Regarding your latest C-Strip - Oh Come on! That boat ride was anything but hostile. If there was any hostility, Ae Shin wouldn't even have asked EC to be her wherry man in the first place. She was curious about him, like he was about her - hence all the questioning back and forth in the boat - but none of it was hostile. In fact, although unacknowledged, the boat ride was the beginning of their romance. Remember ending of E7: AS: This love is quite hard. EC: I should never have taken that boat ride.

Aigoo.... please give me a break ! If you look at the picture of the boat ride , AS certainly looked unfriendly to me and 'hostile' was the first word that came to mind, and I would have corrected the corresponding pic to 'romantic' instead of 'friendly'. 

My English is not good as many here and I tried to create strips that are funny, light hearted and easy to understand, if you look properly , there were many spelling and grammatical mistakes as well. And there are times when I might have picked the wrong adjective as well. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Ahpheng said:

Aigoo.... please give me a break ! If you look at the picture of the boat ride , AS certainly looked unfriendly to me and 'hostile' was the first word that came to mind, and I would have corrected the corresponding pic to 'romantic' instead of 'friendly'. 

My English is not good as many here and I tried to create strips that are funny, light hearted and easy to understand, if you look properly , there were many spelling and grammatical mistakes as well. And there are times when I might have picked the wrong adjective as well. 

I tend to get too emotionally invested. I apologize if my thoughts came across as a bit 'hostile'. :tounge_wink:

Please, no need to explain. We are truly grateful for your efforts. Spelling mistake or not, 100% exact interpretation or not, wrong adjective or not, your strips are amazing, they make me laugh and feel warmth. What more can I ask?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

August 30, 2018

MR.SUNSHINE OST Part 11: See You Again by Baek Ji Young

Source: YTN ++

ms243.jpg

The 11th soundtrack for drama Mr. Sunshine entitled 'See You Again' by singer Baek Ji Young will be released by Sound Entertainment on September 2, 6 pm. The emotional ballad was first heard in an earlier sad scene between Eugene (Lee Byung Hun) and Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri) in the rain on the bridge in episode 12.

• Like 11

On 8/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, KDramaLogic said:

Based on my viewings of those recent recaps, the ongoing frustration towards AS is not so much about the lack of AS/DM but more on AS's lack of evolved character growth/cause for fighting for Joseon independence compared to EC, HS, and even DM.

THIS! I have to use your words, since you so perfectly put it. AS' character indeed took a very weird turn. I can't see her ambitions of free and independent Korea and it's very mind-boggling, since she was pretty much the only main character who went against every expectation and took parts in some controversial operations, but suddenly AS in the latest episodes stops being the patriot and her feelings for the homeland is nowhere to be seen. I really can't figure out what the writer is trying to establish with AS' character. A noblewoman going around dressed in man's outfit fighting with a gun against everyone who disrespects her country is now nothing more than a woman in love who daydreams about living in the US with her lover... Okay, there's nothing wrong with her being in love but AS' path is more of a downgrading rather than a development and it's very disappointing to see a woman so strong who was ready to sacrifice all of her interests for the sake of the country now talking about wanting to give her heart to a man who doesn't even know where his loyalty lies... 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, anipanch said:

THIS! I have to use your words, since you so perfectly put it. AS' character indeed took a very weird turn. I can't see her ambitions of free and independent Korea and it's very mind-boggling, since she was pretty much the only main character who went against every expectation and took parts in some controversial operations, but suddenly AS in the latest episodes stops being the patriot and her feelings for the homeland is nowhere to be seen. I really can't figure out what the writer is trying to establish with AS' character. A noblewoman going around dressed in man's outfit fighting with a gun against everyone who disrespects her country is now nothing more than a woman in love who daydreams about living in the US with her lover... Okay, there's nothing wrong with her being in love but AS' path is more of a downgrading rather than a development and it's very disappointing to see a woman so strong who was ready to sacrifice all of her interests for the sake of the country now talking about wanting to give her heart to a man who doesn't even know where his loyalty lies... 

Downgrading? The RA 's cause is not to fight for the country, but lapdog of the King, doing dirty work for them. AS is now freed from being just a YES man, she's capable of realizing the diverging path of RA not adhered to what she believes in. Eugene helped her realizes that what she has been fighting for, would not allow the slaves to live prosperously in Joseon, only aristocrat can thrive. AeShin is now freed from the chain that bind her down in following orders, she can now differentiate which order would benefit Joseon.

Her romance with Eugene freed her from the cage of Aristocrat, she is determined to save Joseon, a place where all the people can live happily. She is now totally freed from discriminating against the lower class people, as proven by her deep love in Eugene. Her willingness to defend her love of lower class origin, by agreeing to her grandpa and live the rest of her life alone. Her grandpa wanted her to get married through which she can be shielded from danger and she refused stating that she has trained to the point of capable in protecting herself. When her grandpa ask for Eugene, knowing Eugene will get hurt by his slave origin, she promptly reject the idea, and try to shoulder all of the blame on herself. Name me the last female character in kdrama that feature similar inner strength?

If you read the history of Joseon, there's pretty much nothing can be done to save it at this point in time. Unless the writer willing to twist the history. Also, if you watch EP 16, the rewind of their beach date, AeShin mentioned about heading to Shanghai to meet his father's comrade, and continue to fight for Joseon eventhough she's far away from home. FYI, after Japan annexed Joseon, there's a temporary Joseon government set up in Shanghai to continue the fight against the Japanese. 

The RA at this point in time, did not fought for REVOLUTION, rather they just fight to maintain status quo. There's hardly any value of patrotism in it. 

If any character lack development, it's Dong Mae. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Sharing the 2 fan-made music videos by CaptTamagochi below that I had enjoyed and liked. They gave a different feel / vibe to the fishing date scene and tramcar scene which are so loved by many of us. 

Credit: CaptTamagochi

• Like 6

6 hours ago, anipanch said:

Hi, 

Thoughts - i dont need answer, just read this my dear :)

The Mountain - future base Righteous army

Have you ever wondered how long it will last? Maybe the emperor try take away his lands after some time (Eugene)? Maybe he will betray them and send an army that will murder everyone or most of them? ( I have a feeling HS father oppose it and will be murdered as high rank joseon officer, Choi properties confiscated and HS mother maybe thrown out onto the street :/)

I doubt that Japan will get his hands dirty and force the emperor to solve the problem with RA. Maybe Japanese troops will attack the Mountain and the emperor will be powerless or say them where they hiding? I have the impression that under pressure he does strange things (forged letter and murdered missionary). He is a very weak emperor or he born in bad period and lost because he had very strong enemies in region. Japan won wars with China, Russia and they had alliance with the USA or very good political relationship. 

Some of the rebels who survive may leave the country or give up further fighting (Eugene, Aeshin, HS, Hina?). Why? Japan-Korea Treaty of 1905, Following the Protectorate Treaty of 1905 between Korea and Japan, which stripped Korea of its rights as an independent nation, the presence of American soldiers will lose their sense and deployed troops will be taken away (Eugene, Kyle). Korea was obliged to become a Japanese protectorate by the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1905 and the "reforms" were enacted, including the reduction of the Korean Army from 20,000 to 1,000 men by disbanding all garrisons in the provinces, retaining only a single garrison in the precincts of Seoul. On 6 January 1905, Horace Allen, head of the American Legation in Seoul reported to his Secretary of State, John Hay, that the Korean government had been advised by the Japanese government "that hereafter the police matters of Seoul will be controlled by the Japanese gendarmerie" and "that a Japanese police inspector will be placed in each prefecture". A large number of Koreans organized themselves in education and reform movements, but Japanese dominance in Korea had become a reality.

I came up with a brutal scenario?

This can be reason why they lose hope (betrayal and lack of support) and decide live and be happy. Most of the people they knew would die, run away from the country and maybe few hide in the woods and resist like hunter Hong. 

RA in 1905 consisted of many separate units commanded by independent commanders. I do not remember exactly but it was in 1908 that they formed an alliance. Previously, they had acted separately and probably didnt work together because the commanders were people from high classes and low classes or they had different opinions.

The English school will be liquidated and most of these girls will die according to my thoughts, many RA members and people like French Baker, former slave hunters, scholars - they are secondary protagonists but their death does not matter? The main characters dont have to die but the price they pay will be huge because lose almost everything what they loved or was precious. I think this series is about survival and being happy after horrible experiences. The series goes in the direction where the main characters have a chance to survive and go in different directions (China, America, Europe, Japan). 

This is just my opinion and we dont have to argue and write essays.

5 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Downgrading? The RA 's cause is not to fight for the country, but lapdog of the King, doing dirty work for them. AS is now freed from being just a YES man, she's capable of realizing the diverging path of RA not adhered to what she believes in. Eugene helped her realizes that what she has been fighting for, would not allow the slaves to live prosperously in Joseon, only aristocrat can thrive. AeShin is now freed from the chain that bind her down in following orders, she can now differentiate which order would benefit Joseon.

Her romance with Eugene freed her from the cage of Aristocrat, she is determined to save Joseon, a place where all the people can live happily. She is now totally freed from discriminating against the lower class people, as proven by her deep love in Eugene. Her willingness to defend her love of lower class origin, by agreeing to her grandpa and live the rest of her life alone. Her grandpa wanted her to get married through which she can be shielded from danger and she refused stating that she has trained to the point of capable in protecting herself. When her grandpa ask for Eugene, knowing Eugene will get hurt by his slave origin, she promptly reject the idea, and try to shoulder all of the blame on herself. Name me the last female character in kdrama that feature similar inner strength?

If you read the history of Joseon, there's pretty much nothing can be done to save it at this point in time. Unless the writer willing to twist the history. Also, if you watch EP 16, the rewind of their beach data, AeShin mentioned about heading to Shanghai to meet his father's comrade, and continue to fight for Joseon eventhough she's far away from home. FYI, after Japan annexed Joseon, there's a temporary Joseon government set up in Shanghai to continue the fight against the Japanese. 

The RA at this point in time, did not fought for REVOLUTION, rather they just fight to maintain status quo. There's hardly any value of patrotism in it. 

If any character lack development, it's Dong Mae. 

Yes, thank you for this post. I agree :)

• Like 7